A Redistribution of [Wealth] Fastpass+

ChrisM

The fact that these three people didn't complete their degrees doesn't change my point, since they don't (or didn't) apparently go around bad mouthing people with advanced degrees. Instead, these three leaders recognize(d) the value of education.

In the majority of b-school tracks:

- If you studied business at a tier one university and have 10 years of work experience, the value of any MBA program outside of the top 25 isn't much more than the credential.

- If you studied business at a tier one university and have 10 years of work experience, the value of a MBA at a top 25 school (or even more so at a top 10 school) is really just the credential and the network.

There are a few exceptions, but not many. That said, at some firms the credential is a requirement.

Lyman

That gave me flashback to college statistics class, Interesting post though, I wonder how it will affect my usual touring plans, My week in September of last year I didn't get a single fast pass the whole week. I wonder if the ability to do what I want with out planning ahead will be affected.

That's called pure pleasure !!!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
In the majority of b-school tracks:

- If you studied business at a tier one university and have 10 years of work experience, the value of any MBA program outside of the top 25 isn't much more than the credential.

- If you studied business at a tier one university and have 10 years of work experience, the value of a MBA at a top 25 school (or even more so at a top 10 school) is really just the credential and the network.

There are a few exceptions, but not many. That said, at some firms the credential is a requirement.

That being said, in a competitive industry especially high tech, advanced degrees will only get you so far usually just your foot in the door. Experience, knowledge, ability, and track record (aka work history) count more than any degree. A degree in itself doesn't convey super human abilities, just a tool box that can be used. It doesn't prevent someone from trying to drive nails with a screwdriver or cut steel with a spoon. For those who can combine theoretical knowledge, business acumen, common sense, and human motivation it doesn't matter if you have a degree or not.

SherlockWayne

Over the years, I've heard a number of people suggest that MBAs are useless; unnecessary. Those people generally had two things in common: they didn't have an MBA or any advanced degree and they couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag.
While I would never say an MBA is useless or unnecessary, I do wonder the value of the education being imparted in the course of earning such a degree. Looking at business practices today and how unethical and inhumane they are and are becoming, I have no choice but to direct my concern at the education received. I feel this is a valid argument, and I feel in earning an advanced degree (which I have), there is a degree of culpability that is assumed on the part of the recipient.

I don't limit this to MBAs by any means. If architecture suddenly took a major wayward move to the obscene or impractical (which it tends to do) I will criticize architecture schools (which I have). I also don't hold back on criticism of law practices when absurdity abounds. The major issues facing WDW, which I contribute to a culture of cashing in on previous generations' brand investments, can only be attributed to leadership, which are less interested in the type of business they run, and more interested in running a unique enterprise in the same fashion as every other business. To me, it's no surprise when I see every other American company lowering their standards.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
. To me, it's no surprise when I see every other American company lowering their standards.

Maybe its due to the lower common denominator in the public at large. Its a more coarse view point focused on immediate gratification at minimum investment of time or resources.

People can go back and forth about the math, starts, and numbers behind FP+. Good discussions from both sides about why something should work on paper, shouldn't work on paper, is proven by the data, or is not proven by the data and so on. But the one thing everyone can agree on is that the unknown variable in every scenario is the people. People don't always look at stats or numbers to figure out how they "felt" while on vacation. So the bottom line is.....some people are going to think their vacation is better with the new FP+ system and some people are going to think their vacation is worse. No matter what the numbers say- it all depends on the person. Tour park commandos, late sleepers, mid-day breakers, headline riders, under 40" riders- whatever. Numbers on paper can say whatever they say (and honestly I am not good enough with numbers to understand what they say and every time I try I have to take a Tylenol) but you can't predict how people will "feel" about something because people are all so different.

In recent years, I have been once pre-FP+, once during transition, and will be going once after FP+. And it won't matter to what the data says is happening, I am going to compare the 3 vacations to see "which one was better". Which is a totally unfair comparison because I am going at different weeks of the year, with slight temperature changes, different decorations, different hard ticket events, traveling with different sized parties, staying in different resorts. But I will still do it. And many people who travel there will do the same thing. They will say "Was this trip as fun? Was this trip as good as before?" And that is what they will use as a judge- no matter what the data says.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That being said, in a competitive industry especially high tech, advanced degrees will only get you so far usually just your foot in the door. Experience, knowledge, ability, and track record (aka work history) count more than any degree

But if you are pursuing management tracks... NOT having a degree is a barrier that will hold you back in most companies. If you want to be a VP at most major companies.. it's expected you will have a graduate level degree.

To be the rock star developer or implementor? No, your track record speaks louder than your education block on your CV. But as a rock star deve.. you don't need a Bio sheet on the company website.. like professional management typically has.

omurice

Well education seems to be key to FastPass+, but as I see it, that education is the hundreds of CMs with iPads schooling guests how to use the kiosks. Far from decreasing staff, TDO is hiring more, some to cover those kiosks, some at the call center, possibly GR too for complaints.

The "redistribution of wealth" seems to be this: We guests are paying more for CMs we didn't need before.

Given the recent announcement of WDW having 1,000 new job postings, MM+ has turned out to be a Florida jobs program. Disney should get an award from the Governor, or the President or somebody... ;)

arko

Well education seems to be key to FastPass+, but as I see it, that education is the hundreds of CMs with iPads schooling guests how to use the kiosks. Far from decreasing staff, TDO is hiring more, some to cover those kiosks, some at the call center, possibly GR too for complaints.

The "redistribution of wealth" seems to be this: We guests are paying more for CMs we didn't need before.

Given the recent announcement of WDW having 1,000 new job postings, MM+ has turned out to be a Florida jobs program. Disney should get an award from the Governor, or the President or somebody... ;)

The 1000 jobs has already been shown to be mostly replacements for retiring workers, also those who have knowledge of CM scheduling have indicated the budget for the extra cm's will be going away soon and there will be a smaller CM presence at the kiosks. Even under the old FP system there were always CM's present at the FP dispensers to help anybody that needed it. So in the end it should be a wash.

jlsHouston

I'm sure FP+ has affected wait times (both positively and negatively, depending on the attraction, as shown by the article). But I honestly think the biggest factor in lowering wait times for the big E-ticket attractions comes from when they replaced the GACs with the DAS cards. I wish the DAS cards and FP+ happened years apart so we'd really know each one's effect separately. That fact that both came about very nearly at the same time (FP+ was in its testing phase when DAS was officially implemented), means that it's not quite possible to measure either one's impact individually. Of course, DAS probably cost Disney all of fifty cents to implement vs FP+'s billion-dollar+ price tag, which means the OFFICIAL stance is that FP+ is perfect and wonderful and holy and solely responsible for lessening the wait times, forever and ever amen. Or else.

Edited to add: I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a quick 5th grade grammar lesson and explain to me when I should use effect vs affect, because while I have a vague idea, I really just guess half the time.

an easy way to remember affect is: to affect something is action(verb) so affect- "a" - action....
And you used effect properly. :) I hated grammar....

Herah

Both "affect" and "effect" can be used as either a noun or a verb.
The noun "affect" is a technical term and is pronounced differently. Anyone who needs to use it will know what they're doing. So for this discussion, it's nonexistent.

The verb "effect" is similar - it's not jargon, but it's relatively rare, and if you're using it you'll know.

If there's any doubt, the verb is "affect" and the noun is "effect".

jlsHouston

The noun "affect" is a technical term and is pronounced differently. Anyone who needs to use it will know what they're doing. So for this discussion, it's nonexistent.

The verb "effect" is similar - it's not jargon, but it's relatively rare, and if you're using it you'll know.

If there's any doubt, the verb is "affect" and the noun is "effect".

I'm just going to stick with my grammar school trick at this point, at almost 53 I might be too old to learn new grammar tricks:confused:

doctornick

He effected the outcome?
No I don't think that works...I'm too busy trying to find non-existent trucks to figure this one out...

Actually, "He effected the outcome" makes perfect grammatical sense -- it is just a different statement than "He affected the outcome".

He effected the outcome = He brought about the outcome
He affected the outcome = He modified the outcome

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Math and grammar in this thread, quite educational! Quick, someone give it a Frozen overlay so the rubes will participate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom