A Program for the Iphone at WDW?

DisneyDrum

Original Poster
A new patent from Apple has just comes to light which discusses how Apple could feed content to the Iphone for a specific location, such as a restaurant or theme park. There is a specific example in the patent where individuals in Disney World could use their Iphones to locate their children. Knowing that Apple and Disney are pretty close, and that a similar service was recently tested with Nintendo DS's, do you think it's possible Disney could come out with a park guide based on the Iphone?

Link

WDWFREAK53

Sounds cool...haven't heard it but I did find webapps of Interactive Park Maps.

They have all 6 US parks. (No waterparks yet).

The maps give a brief description of the parks and give you bathroom/ATM locations. (At least they don't tell you where telephones are located because that would seem pretty redundant if you're looking for a telephone on a park map that is on your...phone.)

After going to the link and reading it...I just have to say one thing. WOW! That's pretty incredible.
I wonder if this will work with the current Iphones or only the NextGen.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
It wouldn't surprise me if Disney marketed a DS rental for kids and an iPhone rental for adults. I, personally, say to make all rentals just for the DS, but have the iPhone work at WDW (which is sounds like it already does). Sorry, but I just don't see why everyone loves iPhones so much. :shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The iphone market is way too small. Mobiles perhaps, Symbian perhaps, or even an established brand (Nokia, SE etc.) but the iphone has been seen over here for what it is - overpriced and underspecced.

jmani56

The iPhone market is actually growing extremely rapidly, and is going to get even bigger in June when third-party applications are released. This technology will not be restricted to the iPhone in the future though, it will be available soon on most high-end phones – Apple is just pioneering it.

I've never messed around with the DS in WDW, but I'm assuming future things will act as Pal Mickey does with wait times, but I can also foresee getting text messages with special sales when I walk buy a certain store, for example. This is already pretty big in Europe. Maybe even reservations for dining will be available on the iPhone.

I know some people don't like it, but I think iPhone is everything it is hyped to be and then some. There is nothing that it doesn't do – music, movies, internet, documents, email, photos, planner, maps, youtube, etc. etc. I don't see what's not to like.

MissM

I don't see what's not to like.
Cingular. Oh, I'm sorry, that's right. Cingular has such a HORRIBLE reputation, they switched back to the AT&T name.

Sadly, THAT is the reason many, many people wouldn't have an iPhone. I'd never get bound into a contract with those jerks again, ever. And I know I'm not the only one who feels that way. :(
-m

WDWFREAK53

I know some people don't like it, but I think iPhone is everything it is hyped to be and then some. There is nothing that it doesn't do – music, movies, internet, documents, email, photos, planner, maps, youtube, etc. etc. I don't see what's not to like.

I love mine...but I wouldn't say that there is nothing that it doesn't do.

For instance...you can't send pictures in a text message. Also, as of now, you can't connect to an exchange server. (That should change with the upcoming software upgrade in July though).

That being said...I've seen and used every cell/smartphone out there it seems (from the HTC Touch to the Treo) and I have yet to find one that I like more than the iPhone.

(Another thing that I don't care for...is the complexity while driving.) You can't dial a number without looking at it. Due to the lack of a keyboard or actual number buttons, you can't use the sense of feel while dialing.

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
Not to mention it doesn't do push e-mail like blackberry does. I know there is talk of it coming but it will be a useless feature on a service like cingular. You actually have to be able to stay connected to the network for it to work.

MissM

So just unlock one and use it with any provider you wish
Except (a) in the US it only works on AT&T or T-Mobile's networks and (B) if you unlock it, they brick you. Just do a google search and see how many people's expensive iPhones have become paperweights.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Cingular. Oh, I'm sorry, that's right. Cingular has such a HORRIBLE reputation, they switched back to the AT&T name.

Sadly, THAT is the reason many, many people wouldn't have an iPhone. I'd never get bound into a contract with those jerks again, ever. And I know I'm not the only one who feels that way. :(
-m
I am sure you aren't but in reality they are all crooks. I have been with Nextel, Verizon and Circular/AT&T and they all stink pretty much equally in different areas. I am lucky enough that the wife works for AT&T so the employee discount makes them the lesser of the 4 evils.

On the iphone.... I am going to revisit the option when the new model comes out supposedly in mid June. The price has gotten much better ($199) and a few features have been added that might make me pull the trigger and upgrade from my razer.

Main Street USA

-m
I'm not sure where you're from, but it's reputation isn't horrible around here. For every few of you who feel that way, there are hundreds who feel that they're the best out there. Their coverage is certainly the best in the US.

As for the iPhone, most of the people who say they suck are the people who either can't afford them, or they have a hang up about all of the hype. Whether or not those people want to admit it, the iPhone is truly is a revolutionary product. As with every first out there, there are some things that got either overlooked, or were seen as less important for it's initial release. The 3G that's coming next month will still be the best phone and mobile devie on the market.

cooleo

That lik about the iPhone is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. I have an iPhone myself & I can honestly say it is Great. I actually have that as my personal phone & a Sprint Blackberry as my work phone; I much prefer the iPhone. To make it even better, my company uses Mac computers & I am able to sync my iPhone with my laptop & have use of all my features in a way that I cannot do with the Blackberry. The iPhone will only get better over time. I have already seen it do so with the last couple of software upgrades that have come out. :sohappy:

WDWFREAK53

Not to mention it doesn't do push e-mail like blackberry does. I know there is talk of it coming but it will be a useless feature on a service like cingular. You actually have to be able to stay connected to the network for it to work.

It's coming out in July.

kingdaniel97

To all who love the Iphone why not send me a video of you enjoying it... oh wait you can't. Well at least you have the fast 3g network most phones have.... oh wait that's not there either... well how bout those awesome hard drives they're like 30g right? oh wait no that's not possible because of the flash drive. At least you can watch stuff on YouTube.... Never mind like half the videos don't even work.... guess it's more of a priest phone then a Jesus phone isn't it. Well think about how fast you can text... wait no because the buttons are like half the size of a normal textin button so you'll prolly get a D instead of an A. Well.... at least it's a phone with music... even if you don't have the space for more then 1 or 2 movies without any music.

To all who love the Iphone why not send me a video of you enjoying it... oh wait you can't. Well at least you have the fast 3g network most phones have.... oh wait that's not there either... well how bout those awesome hard drives they're like 30g right? oh wait no that's not possible because of the flash drive. At least you can watch stuff on YouTube.... Never mind like half the videos don't even work.... guess it's more of a priest phone then a Jesus phone isn't it. Well think about how fast you can text... wait no because the buttons are like half the size of a normal textin button so you'll prolly get a D instead of an A. Well.... at least it's a phone with music... even if you don't have the space for more then 1 or 2 movies without any music.

Easy there...

*begins response to off-topic hater rant*
Also, any video I've ever tried from youtube works just fine...I have the 8gb model (the next model(s) will have at least 32gb), which allows me over 500 songs with room for a couple of movies as well...I send well over 500 texts a month, and with it's revolutionary predictive keyboard, I can send them faster than I ever did on my POS verizon phone that had a full keyboard...

And finally, most users wouldn't even notice the difference in speed between 3G and the current network...and with WIFI functionality built in, the Iphone is quite fast, and WIFI is just about everywhere these days...

*ends response to off-topic hater rant*

On topic, I think this will be great if they can get park info/maps on to the Iphone, or any smartphone for that matter...it would be SO much more convenient and useful than having to carry around all that paper...and just think of all the trees Disney could save!!! Oh, the tree-huggers will be ecstatic...

WDWFREAK53

vilegirl

I really love my IPhone. I was skeptical at first, but I can only say that it's perfect for me. And the service I get with AT&T is the best I've gotten with any company. I used to be with Verizon and I lost so many calls or couldn't get any connection in so many places. It was really frustrating. I never have that problem with my IPhone. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom