A Mickey Mouse-themed land at DHS (open brainstorming), part three

mharrington

Original Poster
This is hopefully third time's the charm (or three strikes, you're out)...

This is a third attempt to create a Mickey Mouse-themed land at DHS, after a second attempt here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/mickey-avenue-at-dhs-open-brainstorming.862624/.

I came up with this as a sort of "revenge" for using Mickey Mouse-themed areas (i.e., Toontown Fair, Camp Minnie-Mickey) as only temporary. I want this land to be permanent and done on a bigger scale, like with Cars Land, which, according to an article on Progress City, U.S.A. (http://progresscityusa.com/2011/12/18/the-carsland-conundrum/), "due to its scope, expense, and 'pet project' status for grand poobah John Lasseter, will never be removed."

Turtle once thought of the name of the area, Mickey Avenue, which I liked better than Toontown. But Turtle ordered me to come up with my own. The only one I could think of is Mickey Mouse's Hollywood. That's why the thread is no longer about "Mickey Avenue", because, at this moment, it is nameless.

Anyway, my idea is to do something a little more like Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland, but far less low-rent and temporary-looking. It will to look something like this:
blarea.jpg

Notice those facades that really are just almost flats, particularly along all those tents? And to give you an idea of what the structures for the currently nameless Mickey area at DHS should look like, here's another shot:
273234091_e64edb6e51_b.jpg

But I have no idea how to do this section in something not so low-rent and be able to fit the Studios, beyond possibly have colors be less rainbow-like and somewhat darker. Has anyone got any ideas for to do this?

I had also kept asking if there was a certain time period for Disneyland's Mickey's Toontown, so I could determine the same for the nameless Mickey area at DHS. Apparently, there is no such period setting. I thought that, considering the license plates on Lenny the cab in the Roger Rabbit ride, which was 1947, the same year as "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", Toontown was set in the 1940s. But that would betray the period setting for Gadget's Go Coaster (also to be removed in a plan of mine, but that's another discussion), set supposedly in the '90s.

I say all this because this new take on a Mickey-themed area is a radical departure from the castle parks, where, I admit, I'm more comfortable with doing things for than in a non-castle park (besides Epcot).

So let the brainstorming begin! I can't do this by myself!

mharrington

Original Poster
I also found (but did not make up myself, so credit goes out to whoever did make it) an idea of a dark ride set inside the Hyperion studio (possibly attached to the Magic of Disney Animation building, but not made part of the Animation Courtyard): a composite of various classic Disney shorts. The exterior of the ride would be the Hyperion studio, like so:
mickeysmovieland1.jpg

Here's what the one who said the original idea:

[M]y idea would be that you enter through an area that looks like the Disney Studios on Hyperion, with a recreation of the iconic old Mickey Mouse / Silly Symphonies sign, it would give way to a black and white area where you could meet some of the REAL long lost friends, preferably in greyscale, Clarabelle, Horace, Oswald, Clara Cluck... maybe even Dippy Dawg, Pie Eyed Mickey and Minnie, etc. This could potentially be a fun area to board a dark ride that takes you on a trip through the Disney cartoons from Steamboat Willie through the end of the classic Mickey in Technicolor area...maybe you board a mini Steamboat and begin travelling through the countryside, a barnyard, etc... then a tornado "sweeps you into technicolor" (it's the tornado from The Band Concert...the first Technicolor Mickey short)... through a funhouse room with mirrors (based on the old Pluto cartoon), on a quick adventure with Donald Duck, maybe through the Lonseome Ghosts house - though Lonseome Ghosts might make a good dark ride all on its own- Mystic Manor/Haunted Mansion meets Mickey!) then the ride would let you out in the later era of ToonTown where you could meet the real Sensational 6.

However, I have one concern: the theme of the Hyperion studio would clash with the land because it involves animated characters coming to life from ink and paint, when the theme of the land should involve Mickey and the gang as real people (hence, the hotel). Wouldn't that be sort of contradictory?

mahnamahna101

Maybe it'd be a better idea to only base each dark ride or attraction on one classic short. For example, give Lonesome Ghosts and Steamboat Willie dark rides while giving Plane Crazy a wild indoor coaster. The Band Concert could be a fully-enclosed 4D swings flat ride while a Fantasia show with the Big Hat being moved out front could be included. Add in a fun little Goofy flat ride and a state of the art ToonTown M&G miniland and I'd say it's a pretty solid area.

So...
1 E (Plane Crazy coaster)
2 D (Lonesome Ghosts & Steamboat Willie dark rides)
2 C (Fantasia show and Band Concert flat ride)
2 B (Goofy flat ride & ToonTown M&G)

A clone of Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin wouldn't be too much of a stretch either...

Really, I'd suggest including Roger Rabbit since they're apparently considering a sequel/prequel. Not to mention that the Imagineers have plenty of plans for RR attractions anyways.

mharrington

Original Poster
Maybe it'd be a better idea to only base each dark ride or attraction on one classic short. For example, give Lonesome Ghosts and Steamboat Willie dark rides while giving Plane Crazy a wild indoor coaster. The Band Concert could be a fully-enclosed 4D swings flat ride while a Fantasia show with the Big Hat being moved out front could be included. Add in a fun little Goofy flat ride and a state of the art ToonTown M&G miniland and I'd say it's a pretty solid area.

So...
1 E (Plane Crazy coaster)
2 D (Lonesome Ghosts & Steamboat Willie dark rides)
2 C (Fantasia show and Band Concert flat ride)
2 B (Goofy flat ride & ToonTown M&G)

A clone of Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin wouldn't be too much of a stretch either...

Really, I'd suggest including Roger Rabbit since they're apparently considering a sequel/prequel. Not to mention that the Imagineers have plenty of plans for RR attractions anyways.

I really want to avoid the free-flowing architecture of Toontown. It can look slightly cartoon-like but not overly so. I'm also still uncomfortable with shorts represented in a non-castle park. However, I did have an idea for "Fantasia", only it's not a show, it's a water ride to rival Splash Mountain. It would set inside a fancy movie palace. The only alternative is to set the shorts inside a movie theater on Main Street at the MK (different than the Main Street Cinema). I'm saying this because I'm not liking the idea of filming the shorts (which this park would probably lend the concept to) vs. riding the shorts themselves. It would end up like Star Tours, which, in Florida, of course, is located in the Studios. Here's what ProgressCity.com said in an article on the state of the Studios:

Setting Star Tours on a soundstage [...] is an enormous cop-out. I thought so the first time I went as a kid – I didn’t know what they were going for, with C-3PO’s coffee break area and bulletin board off to the side. Are we going to Endor, or are we watching people make a movie about people going to Endor? Introducing the “working set” idea creates a whole extra layer of stuff to get between the guest and the experience.

As for Roger Rabbit, I thought the sequel/prequel was dropped. I'm taking the rumor of a new movie with a grain of salt. And I thought the Roger Rabbit attraction concepts were dropped, too. After reading the article on Roger Rabbit on MousePlanet (http://www.mouseplanet.com/10382/Who_Disappeared_Roger_Rabbit_From_the_Disney_Parks), it's not hard to see why, at least as far as the Runaway Buggy Ride is concerned:

Baby Herman's Runaway Baby Buggy would have been a traditional Fantasyland-like dark ride. Based on the incidents in the first Roger Rabbit short, "Tummy Trouble," where Roger and Baby Herman have a series of misadventures in a hospital, would have guests board oversized baby buggy ride vehicles and they would careen down stairs, through hospital rooms, around beds and patients and more.

When the attraction was described in the newspapers, some readers angrily complained that there was nothing funny about a hospital and that the Disney Company was being insensitive to both patients (especially scared children) and doctors, especially since the short featured frightening sharp objects and scary mechanical devices.

What are the Imagineers' plans, anyway?

mahnamahna101

I meant the 3 unbuilt attractions from the planned Roger Rabbit land by Tower of Tower in DHS, not to mention CarToon Spin in Disneyland. They have plenty of things they can work from if they choose to do so.

Californian Elitist

What do you mean? What makes us obliged to help you with this jumbled concept.

Well this was a rude and absolutely unnecessary comment. The OP was just looking for some replies. No need for the snarkiness.

OP, you've got some interesting ideas. I'm not a fan of the big tent things in the first photo, but overall, interesting ideas. And you mean Dippity Dog.

Turtle

Well this was a rude and absolutely unnecessary comment. The OP was just looking for some replies. No need for the snarkiness.

OP, you've got some interesting ideas. I'm not a fan of the big tent things in the first photo, but overall, interesting ideas. And you mean Dippity Dog.
Yeah, I realized that after I posted.

mharrington

Original Poster
I meant the 3 unbuilt attractions from the planned Roger Rabbit land by Tower of Tower in DHS, not to mention CarToon Spin in Disneyland. They have plenty of things they can work from if they choose to do so.

Well, as stated before, in the case of Baby Herman's Runaway Buggy Ride, I found this information from MousePlanet:

When the attraction was described in the newspapers, some readers angrily complained that there was nothing funny about a hospital and that the Disney Company was being insensitive to both patients (especially scared children) and doctors, especially since the short featured frightening sharp objects and scary mechanical devices.

Also, I thought the sequel/prequel was in limbo. Besides, I thought there are (or at least were) legal battles over the rights of the characters.

And as for you, Turtle, I simply must use Mickey Avenue as the name of the land, it's the only one that works, and it technically already exists at the park. I can't think of anything else. Also, the concept is much too jumbled, you're right. As I said, I'm more comfortable with the castle parks and Epcot. They're more organized than this.

mharrington

Original Poster
Instead of creating a brand-new thread from scratch, I'll just bump up an old one...

Here are some ideas for what I will do in the area:
  1. A water thrill ride themed to "Fantasia"
  2. A hotel where Mickey and the gang do meet-n-greets
  3. A restaurant themed to "House of Mouse"
  4. A shop called Oswald's Lucky Five and Dime
  5. A gas station at the entrance (a smaller shop?)
  6. Architecture based on Mickey's Starland, but larger and different color scheme
I really can't think of anything else to put in here. There will be no studio theme here and nothing Roger Rabbit-related. I also can't think of anything for Donald and Goofy here. I need help. Please help me!

mharrington

Original Poster
aw but its a good idea though right?

Unless I'm mistaken, "Frozen" can be viewed in 3D at a local theater if you choose to see it that way. By extension, I would think "Get a Horse" would be in 3D, too. So why cannibalize something like this just to create an attraction for DHS?

mharrington

Original Poster
It would be like "Shrek 4D".

I'm not going to cannibalize something you can see at the theater. And on top of that, I'm trying to be very cautious about what kinds of cartoons can actually be referenced here.

I'm actually more interested in trying to think of stuff to put in with Donald and Goofy.

Last edited:

MA Screamin'

Unless I'm mistaken, "Frozen" can be viewed in 3D at a local theater if you choose to see it that way. By extension, I would think "Get a Horse" would be in 3D, too. So why cannibalize something like this just to create an attraction for DHS?

Well, if it's a good enough story, then I don't see why not. 3D in film form can always be extended beyond the remaining five scenes, and the motion that @Twilight_Roxas mentioned. And if done right, it could be far from just "[cannibalizing] something".

Besides that, Clock Cleaners would be a great choice (nice thinking, Red)! The facade could work nicely with the rest of the land, and the story could create a nice contained thrill not too extreme for a dark ride or younger children.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom