A Mickey Mouse-themed land at DHS (open brainstorming), part three

MonorailRed

Applebees
Well, you can see the conundrum I'm facing with the name. I want it to have some emphasis on Mickey, but with Animation Avenue, it automatically takes that away.

Mickey's Studio? Mickey's Toon Studio? Mickey Central? Mickey's Movie Street? Mickey's Movie Avenue? :confused:

What do you mean by that?

Make a new entry from Sunset Boulevard...

29l4.png

Neon Green: New entryway
Orange: New Entrance to the Animation Ride
Red: New "Mickey-land" signs
Blue: New signs/entrance to Pixar Place

So the idea is the show isn't really in the "Mickeyland", and it really isn't in Sunset Boulovard, its kinda in a limbo area, a transition area, to make the movie/cartoon switch from each land.

mharrington

Original Poster
Mickey's Studio? Mickey's Toon Studio? Mickey Central? Mickey's Movie Street? Mickey's Movie Avenue? :confused:

Make a new entry from Sunset Boulevard...

29l4.png

Neon Green: New entryway
Orange: New Entrance to the Animation Ride
Red: New "Mickey-land" signs
Blue: New signs/entrance to Pixar Place

So the idea is the show isn't really in the "Mickeyland", and it really isn't in Sunset Boulovard, its kinda in a limbo area, a transition area, to make the movie/cartoon switch from each land.

I have a rough idea of where this land can go, which is colored red:
attachment.php

MonorailRed

Applebees
So is this attraction officially part of either land?

Not really. It's kinda in the middle. "Technically" map wise, it'd make sense to put it in sunset boulevard, to make sure it doesn't mess with the "Mickey-land", but if your keeping the animation courtyard, it can fit in there fine.

mharrington

Original Poster
Not really. It's kinda in the middle. "Technically" map wise, it'd make sense to put it in sunset boulevard, to make sure it doesn't mess with the "Mickey-land", but if your keeping the animation courtyard, it can fit in there fine.

Actually, I'm not keeping the Animation Courtyard. In my plan, the Little Mermaid show is gone, since there is already a dark ride themed to the same movie at the Magic Kingdom. Maybe the Disney Animation dark ride can be placed as part of Sunset Blvd., but it really needs to be in some spot, because I don't there has ever been a time where anything has ever not been officially part of a land, and I don't intend to break that tradition.

I also found something else out: the shorts dark ride is partially based on this concept here, as I read in "The Book of Mouse". According to the book:

In 1976, [Ward] Kimball designed an indoor dark ride called Mickey's Mad House. Using a traditional Wild Mouse Coaster similar to the Primeval Whirl in Disney's Animal Kingdom, guests would have careened madly back and forth, not able to see clearly where they were going, while they experienced the wild antics of early black-and-white Mickey Mouse animated cartoons.

I had tried to make a ride like that for Storybook Circus, since it had aspects of a circus and was to be placed in the never-built Dumbo's Circusland, but after a lot of hemming and hawing, I decided to go in a different direction and make it just a ride through a circus with different characters doing different acts.

Anyway, this kind of ride appears to be similar to what is proposed in post #2 (and repeated #21). However, as stated in bold, the original concept is similar to the Primeval Whirl, so what kind of a ride would it be? By your logic of going "into" the cartoon via cartoon camera, like how Inner Space does with the microscope, would it be an Omnimover-type dark ride?

And one more thing, you never did answer my question about how comparable this is to the Toy Story ride down the way:

The attraction’s entrance and queue put guests into a world of giant toys. There’s no attempt to explain to guests why they are now the size of green plastic army men. It’s enough that the groundbreaking animated feature Toy Story (1995) was made at Pixar Studios.

jdmdisney99

mharrington

Original Poster
I think it's permanent. I think I heard rumblings it would involve MM+ in some way.

Like I said, I was thinking about doing the main meet-n-greet in a hotel-themed area with different rooms for different characters, including Minnie, but I'm not sure now how it can be done if the new Minnie area that is actually there is permanent.

jdmdisney99

Like I said, I was thinking about doing the main meet-n-greet in a hotel-themed area with different rooms for different characters, including Minnie, but I'm not sure now how it can be done if the new Minnie area that is actually there is permanent.
If I were you I would just get rid of the new Minnie area and go to the hotel idea.

mharrington

Original Poster
If I were you I would just get rid of the new Minnie area and go to the hotel idea.

Well, I'm not sure all those decorations in there would really fit in the hotel room where she would be. And besides, you yourself said it might be permanent.

Last edited:

jdmdisney99

Well, I'm not sure all those decorations in there would really fit in the hotel room where she would be. And besides, you yourself said it might be permanent.
So? You could make it "non-permanent". In your own Imagineered DHS, why not remove it if it's in your way? Just go in and rip it all out and start with your hotel idea. Nothing is truly permanent, but I meant that they intend to keep that meet and greet for a considerable amount of time.

mharrington

Original Poster
So? You could make it "non-permanent". In your own Imagineered DHS, why not remove it if it's in your way? Just go in and rip it all out and start with your hotel idea. Nothing is truly permanent, but I meant that they intend to keep that meet and greet for a considerable amount of time.

Well, it's just that when I think of the word "permanent", I think of it as meaning "to be a certain way forever". I have a tendency to be literal-minded like that. I like to try and take logistical realities into account before I do anything here. I have a lot of great ideas, but if it they don't fit into where they are planned to go, they don't get done. It creates a lot of stress, but I'm finicky that way.

And by the way, I'm still having difficulty with the background music. Here's the background music from Toontown Fair:

• The Grasshopper and the Ants
  • Little Toot
  • The Pied Piper
  • The Country Cousin
  • Who Killed Robin
  • The Skeleton Dance
  • Springtime
  • The Tortoise and the Hare
  • Casey At the Bat
  • The Three Little Pigs
  • Goofy's Theme
  • Minnie's Yoo Hoo
  • Donald Duck's Theme
  • Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
  • Box Lunch
  • Camping Out
  • Funny Little Bunnies
  • Playful Pluto
  • Pluto's Playmate
  • Puppy Love

And here's a sampling of the loop for Toontown Fair:

One thing I thought of trying to do was to do a music loop like what was done for Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland. But the stuff that plays here doesn't seem to work well with Mickey Avenue, either. Here's two songs that played in this loop: "Mickey Mouse Club March" and "It's a Small World After All". And here's a video (with only "Mickey Mouse Club March" clearly audible to my ears):

I was told that loop used for the Disneyland main entrance from 1971-1992, that Jack Wagner created, was used for Mickey's Birthdayland, then later on the Toontown loop was used. I then thought of maybe using some music from Mickey's of Hollywood, but again, I was stumped because of what it had. Once more, listen:

None of the music heard here would work, either. Any ideas?

MonorailRed

Applebees
Well, it's just that when I think of the word "permanent", I think of it as meaning "to be a certain way forever". I have a tendency to be literal-minded like that. I like to try and take logistical realities into account before I do anything here. I have a lot of great ideas, but if it they don't fit into where they are planned to go, they don't get done. It creates a lot of stress, but I'm finicky that way.

And by the way, I'm still having difficulty with the background music. Here's the background music from Toontown Fair:

• The Grasshopper and the Ants
  • Little Toot
  • The Pied Piper
  • The Country Cousin
  • Who Killed Robin
  • The Skeleton Dance
  • Springtime
  • The Tortoise and the Hare
  • Casey At the Bat
  • The Three Little Pigs
  • Goofy's Theme
  • Minnie's Yoo Hoo
  • Donald Duck's Theme
  • Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
  • Box Lunch
  • Camping Out
  • Funny Little Bunnies
  • Playful Pluto
  • Pluto's Playmate
  • Puppy Love

And here's a sampling of the loop for Toontown Fair:

One thing I thought of trying to do was to do a music loop like what was done for Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland. But the stuff that plays here doesn't seem to work well with Mickey Avenue, either. Here's two songs that played in this loop: "Mickey Mouse Club March" and "It's a Small World After All". And here's a video (with only "Mickey Mouse Club March" clearly audible to my ears):

I was told that loop used for the Disneyland main entrance from 1971-1992, that Jack Wagner created, was used for Mickey's Birthdayland, then later on the Toontown loop was used. I then thought of maybe using some music from Mickey's of Hollywood, but again, I was stumped because of what it had. Once more, listen:

None of the music heard here would work, either. Any ideas?

I think the best way to go would be doing a twist of the Toontown Fair sample.

Kind of like what they did with Carthay Circle, not changing the songs, but the way they're presented.

Maybe a 40's Big Band thing going on style wise?

mharrington

Original Poster
I think the best way to go would be doing a twist of the Toontown Fair sample.

Kind of like what they did with Carthay Circle, not changing the songs, but the way they're presented.

Maybe a 40's Big Band thing going on style wise?

It's not the style of the songs so much as the songs themselves. I don't think the songs really fit the atmosphere of the Studios, is what I'm trying to say. I've been thinking of adding in songs from "Snow White" and "Pinocchio" (since they're the focus of the new Animation ride) to take some of the pressure off, but they can only do so much.

mharrington

Original Poster
I also thought of some ideas for cartoon-like gags, based in part on Mickey's Toontown, but applied to real-live objects. In one description of the aborted Roger Rabbit's Hollywood concept (from MousePlanet, I believe), they mentioned this:

It would look like the cartoon studio buildings featured in the film with all the cartoon peculiarities - boxes of TNT, grand piano's hanging above the sidewalk, Roger shaped hopes in the walls.

One idea I had was based on the grand piano and the fallen safe at Mickey's Toontown:
332466516_d1cfa1c102_z.jpg

A piano would have fallen into the sidewalk, at a cockeyed angle, with a shredded rope hanging above, as if indicating they tried, but failed, to hoist the piano into the window above. But here's the other thing: instead of being cartoon-like, as the safe was at Disneyland, the piano here will be a real one (that is, far less cartoon-like). I actually got this idea from a positive review of Storybook Circus from Passport 2 Dreams. Here's what it says:

[An] example of Storybook Circus' superior attention to detail may be seen in their treatment of the old "Goofy-crashes-through-things" sight gag [at the Barnstormer roller coaster]. Toontown Fair had perfectly sharp Goofy-shaped holes:
Barnstormer_at_Magic_Kingdom_-_barn.jpg

Storybook Circus' holes are equally absurdly shaped, but they actually look like damage has been caused to real, tangible objects:
P1010217.jpg

That sort of stuff tends to add up to a lot in the mind. One of these looks like somebody put care and thought into the presentation of the gag with room left for fine texture, and the other looks like a bunch of Imagineers getting jiggy with a band saw.
P1010225.jpg

So I was thinking of taking some kid of an old cartoon peculiarity (a fallen heavy object) and making it a real one (or at least far less cartoon-like). Unfortunately, with characters from "Snow White" and "Pinocchio" here, I'm not sure how appropriate such peculiarities would be here, since those movies are obviously meant to look realistic.

MonorailRed

Applebees
So I was thinking of taking some kid of an old cartoon peculiarity (a fallen heavy object) and making it a real one (or at least far less cartoon-like). Unfortunately, with characters from "Snow White" and "Pinocchio" here, I'm not sure how appropriate such peculiarities would be here, since those movies are obviously meant to look realistic.

Gag-wise,

I think you could mess with mayhem with the Seven Dwarfs somehow similar with crates and "stage props"... Dopey... I cold definitely see cause some sort of havoc...Things they brought possibly?

r58.jpg

I could see some antics with these guys as well...

Foulfellow_Gideon.jpg

And you could even have some Pleasure Island Props... Maybe....
Pleasureislandgates.jpg

Puppeteering Props?

131013073335-01-disney-villains-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Tenggren_DisneyStudio_Pinocchio_StromboliTheatre_100.jpg

mharrington

Original Poster
Gag-wise,

I think you could mess with mayhem with the Seven Dwarfs somehow similar with crates and "stage props"... Dopey... I cold definitely see cause some sort of havoc...Things they brought possibly?

I could see some antics with these guys [Honest John and Gideon] as well...

Well, if they're doing things with props, I'm not sure how we can do the Magic of Disney Animation ride, since it's to feature characters from both movies here. It all comes back to the idea of Mickey and the gang as real people even though they are ink and paint. Since it's about the animation process, and the characters are obviously born of ink and paint, how can the usage of props fit here? Wouldn't that be sort of contradictory?

mharrington

Original Poster
I doubt anyone is going to answer, but here goes...

What about a crazy ride based on the "Clock Cleaners" short? Or even the classic "Boat Builders"?

Besides that, Clock Cleaners would be a great choice (nice thinking, Red)! The facade could work nicely with the rest of the land, and the story could create a nice contained thrill not too extreme for a dark ride or younger children.

Well, I've been really pondering this, and while I do think it might make an good fit for this park (not great, mind you, but good), I do have a qualm with this: "Clock Cleaners" is inside a clock tower, a vertical structure. I'm envisioning a wild dark ride themed to the short. But it would seem pretty difficult to do a dark ride in multiple levels, as I think it should be in order to justify being inside a clock tower, especially if this one level of Epic Mickey is any indication:

The only dark ride that accomplished anything of more than one level is the Alice ride at Disneyland, and even it does so rather gently. I know there's Spaceship Earth which does ascend rather sharply, but it uses a complete chain of Omnimovers. The Clock Cleaners ride, however, seems like it would have to climb vertically somehow, without the usage of Omnimovers. I don't recall any attraction ever doing that before, and I'm certainly not in the mood to be a real technological groundbreaker right now. I'd prefer to stick to what works. I know that sounds like the antithesis of Walt Disney's thinking, but that's just how I roll.

And not to mention that I had deliberately made the meet-n-greet hotel here only look tall without actually being tall, because I don't think the Tower of Terror would like the competition. So I don't want the clock tower here to be actually be tall either. On the other hand, it would be difficult to do a clock tower without being somewhat vertical. So how can we do the Clock Cleaners ride without getting too tall?

mharrington

Original Poster
I meant the restaurant... The name could be something along the Line's of The Concert House or something... :confused:

I've thought about a theme like the Hollywood Canteen, which actually makes sense given the intended WWII atmosphere here, but there needs to be another name than that. The only one I can think of is something really stupid, like "The Can-Toon". Doesn't that sound stupid?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom