A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes: A March 2011 Disney Wedding/Honeymoon Trip Report

It’s official! Brett and I are finally married and I couldn’t be more excited. We had the most perfect wedding day ever, at our most favorite place in the whole entire world. And of course, as expected, it went by all too quickly. I’m not going to lie, coming down off the high that was our Disney wedding/cruise/honeymoon has been tough. In fact, I'm hoping that writing up/posting this trip report will help me work through some of that. However, I’ve spent much of my spare time in the last few weeks staring at a blank word document... writer’s block? Never heard of it! :lol:

For the first time ever, in all my trip report writing, I did a pre-trip report. It lays out most of the wedding-related details, but for those of you out there who are like me and rarely read pre-trip reports, here’s a quick rundown of events:

Wednesday, March 16, 2011: Drive down, check in offsite for the night
Thursday, March 17, 2011: Check-in, Disney’s Polynesian Resort
Friday, March 18, 2011: Wedding Day, Sunset Pointe
Sunday, March 20, 2011: Board Disney Dream for a 4 night Bahamas cruise
Thursday, March 24, 2011: Check-in, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Sunday, March 27, 2011: Check out and head home

We kind of saw this trip as having three legs: Wedding/Cruise/Disney!

A look back at our Disney trip reports: September 2008 (Contemporary), December 2008 (Old Key West), January 2009 (Port Orleans Riverside & Disney Marathon), July 2009 (Wilderness Lodge Villas/Animal Kingdom Lodge), December 2009 (Beach Club Villas), March 2010 (Pop Century & Princess Half), June 2010 (Coronado Springs), August 2010 (Polynesian & Engagement), December 2010 (Kidani Village)

This was our first time on DCL, however, we’ve cruised a handful of times before. So if anyone is interested, those trip reports can be found here: May 2009 (Carnival Liberty), December 2009 (Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas), May 2010 (Emerald Princess), June 2010 (Norwegian Sky)

Oh dear. I feel like I’m embarking on what will be the longest trip report EVER (and I’ve written some long ones). My apologies in advance, as it will likely take awhile to get this report up in its entirety. The good news though, is that I’ve completed the text all the way up through the wedding, so we’ll get to that part fairly quickly!

With all that said, let the memories begin...

IMG_3834.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We got back to the Wilderness Lodge around 3pm and our afternoon was filled with even more lounging at the pool. Seriously, Silver Creek Springs is one phenomenal pool. I also spent a bit of time photographing the grounds while Brett enjoyed an adult beverage at the Trout Pass bar.

IMG_4325.jpg

IMG_4327.jpg

IMG_4328.jpg

IMG_4331.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

IMG_4355.jpg

IMG_4364.jpg

IMG_4370.jpg

IMG_4378.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Our final signature meal of the trip was at Artist Point. When making dining reservations, we went back and forth trying to decide between the California Grill and Artist Point, but inevitably decided on Artist Point because we were staying at the Lodge. We arrived around 6pm to check in for dinner and were quickly led to our table.

Again, more magic from the CMs… our waiter arrived with two glasses of champagne. This time with berries. It was like the champagne version of an amuse bouche… one sip! :D And, might I say, it was one very delicious sip!

IMG_4388.jpg

Brett ordered the Portobello mushroom soup to start and it was absolutely delicious. Due to the way the ingredients had been roasted, you could’ve sworn that there was bacon in it, but it was just the smoky flavor of the mushrooms coming out.

IMG_4393.jpg

The soup was, by far, the best part of our entire meal. Things kind of went downhill with the entrees, unfortunately. Brett had buffalo with broccolini and a gratin potatoes. There wasn't anything unique about the dish (or its presentation) and the combination of flavors was unoriginal... and no signature restaurant's dishes should ever be described as unoriginal.

IMG_4395.jpg

I ordered a chicken pasta. It’s pretty telling how I felt about my entrée, seeing as how I can’t give you a better description than to say that there were way too many ingredients and not much flavor. You know that advice about how you should always take one last look in the mirror and remove at least one accessory before you go out?! Yeah… well my entrée could’ve benefited from such advice.

IMG_4396.jpg

Throughout most of our meal we discussed “signature” restaurants and what exactly constitutes (or rather, should constitute) a signature dining experience. To me, Artist Point shouldn’t be on the list, and just for the record this wasn’t our first time dining there (it was our third, or maybe fourth). Other than the Portobello soup, nothing we’ve ever ordered at Artist Point has been memorable, except for maybe the salmon dish – I do remember it being pretty tasty. I would easily put The Wave up against Artist Point any day. Now that’s a restaurant that always delivers a signature experience (and meal) without the signature price tag.

I guess I should also say, in fairness to this meal, it was following on the heels of what can only be described as the meal of a lifetime. Add to that, I was starting to feel pretty crummy… it looks like Brett’s cold/flu had crept up on me. That and it was the last night of our fabulous Disneymoon so a bit of the going-home blues was starting to set in. All this being said, I guess I would have to put Artist Point at the very bottom of my list of signature dining experiences – it’s just not on the same level as other restaurants in that category.

No use lingering over a so-so meal… we paid the bill and quickly made our way down to the boat dock to spend our last evening at the Magic Kingdom.

IMG_4401.jpg

IMG_4403.jpg

I could’ve used some fill flash in this next shot for sure. It seems I never have the flash unit on when it’s needed for impromptu shots. But when a kind person asks if we’d like for them to take our picture, I feel it would be rude to be like “hey wait, lemme change lenses and add an external flash… and while we’re at it can we switch places so as to catch the best light!” :lol:

IMG_4406.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Speaking of the delicious light (that’s my preferred name for the golden hour) we had the most perfect boat ride over to the Magic Kingdom. We even got to watch the sun setting over our “hill.” :animwink: Warm fuzzies abound! I think this was the beginning of my emotionally charged evening at the Kingdom. What can I say?!

IMG_4411.jpg

IMG_4414.jpg

IMG_4416.jpg

IMG_4417.jpg

IMG_4422.jpg

Our first stop at the Magic Kingdom was for fastpasses at Space Mountain (which I think we forgot to use later). On the way up Main Street I noticed that the banners from the previous day had already been taken down…

IMG_4432.jpg

IMG_4434.jpg

Ariel484

Fabulous outfit, my dear! You look super cute.

I'm glad that you too are a fan of the Grand Marnier orange slush...YUM. Reminds me of an orange creamsicle! :slurp:

ETA: Oops, looks like you're posting at the same time I am! Bummer about the Artist Point meal...we're hoping to try that one next December, but we'll have to think about it.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Tomorrowland was insane that night, in fact, the whole park was. It’s always telling when the TTA has a legitimate line. :eek: We hightailed it out of Tomorrowland and found ourselves at Philharmagic, one of my very favorite attractions. After which, we hopped in line for It’s A Small World.

IMG_4444.jpg

IMG_4452.jpg

IMG_4457.jpg

IMG_4462.jpg

IMG_4475.jpg

IMG_4481.jpg

IMG_4483.jpg

IMG_4487.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
After IASW, we grabbed a Doom Buggy at the Haunted Mansion. I still find it hilarious that Brett got stuck in front of the bride on the morning of our wedding!

IMG_4496.jpg

Next we decided to do the Hall of Presidents. This is one of those attractions we rarely do, the last time was probably in 2009. Although, every time we watch it, I wonder why we don’t do it more often I really enjoy it.

IMG_4501.jpg

IMG_4502.jpg

When we exited the show, we found ourselves trapped by the parade as it came by. We snuggled up by a railing and watched the majority of it come across the bridge into Liberty Square. I was all caught up in the moment with my new hubby. Of course, Brett joked that it was a good thing it was the Main Street Electrical parade and not Spectro. Had that been the case I would’ve been a blubbering mess. I’m not really a MSEP fan, but Spectro gets me EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I cannot wait for its return. :D

IMG_4505.jpg

After the parade we made our way across the bridge into the hub and staked out a spot in front of the castle. This is something we very rarely ever do. Brett can feel a bit claustrophobic at times, and nothing brings it out quite like trying to navigate a packed out Main Street after Wishes. But seeing as how we were both intrigued by the new (at the time :lol:) castle show we decided to brave the crowds. And it turned out not to be too bad for him (until we tried to get out of the mob afterwards).

IMG_4518.jpg

IMG_4520.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
I’ll be the first to admit that I was rather skeptical about the idea of plastering peoples’ faces all over our beloved castle. That being said, I always give Disney the benefit of the doubt. After all, this is Disney we’re talking about, people! Anyway, from the very beginning I was completely and totally mesmerized. As was Brett. We kinda stood there, mouths agape in awe, as we watched the castle come to life. Honestly, I was floored by the clarity and sharpness of the whole show. We were extremely close, on the castle side of the hub (I’ve since watched it from a couple of other places, further back, and it’s not nearly the same). So if you can, my recommendation is to definitely get right up front for this one.

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4531.jpg

IMG_4538.jpg

At some point mid-way through the show, Stitch appeared on the front screen with one of my favorite lines ever, “Ohana means family!” Waahhhhhh. :cry: :lol: I was already a wreck that night, but it was all over for me at that point. I couldn’t hold the tears back any longer - they were happy tears, sad tears, and bittersweet ones, as well. One squeeze of Brett’s hand and I looked over to see that he may or may not have had tears streaming down his cheeks, too. It was one of those rare little moments when time stands still and the important things in life become astoundingly clear. Here we were, in this sea of people, quietly experiencing a moment that was for the two of us alone. It was magical. I’m as sappy as they come, and there was something about watching The Magic, Memories, and You for the first time ever, with the man of my dreams, my husband, on the final night of what could only be described as the most fabulous Disney wedding/honeymoon extravaganza EVER that in one instant made me feel like the luckiest person in the entire world.

I’ve seen the show on three subsequent trips since then, and every single time I’ve been fortunate enough to feel the emotional pull that I felt that very first night. It’s amazing how our senses can take us to a specific moment like that.

IMG_4546.jpg

Wishes was scheduled to start about 10 minutes after the end of The Magic, Memories, and You so we stayed put to watch it. A young family had appeared beside us and I couldn’t help but smile at the conversation I overheard. It was the first night of their trip and the mom was too cute. You could just tell she was completely rapt with the joy of her children. It was neat, because as Tinkerbell was flying overhead she was videoing her kids’ reactions. Priceless.

Being that close to the hub, you miss a lot of the bursts, but we really didn’t care. We were in our own little bubble of a world, anyway. I took a couple of pictures, not caring that I didn’t have a better angle or lens, and they’re some of my favorites now, because I associate them with that moment in time.

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4572.jpg

IMG_4582.jpg

IMG_4583.jpg

After Wishes we fought the craziness to get to Adventureland, where we rode PotC and, I believe, the Jungle Cruise. It was maybe 10:30pm when we decided to call it a night and catch a boat back to the Wilderness Lodge. There was, unfortunately, packing to do.

Next: we spend our final morning at the Animal Kingdom! And finally, after three months, I'll put this trip report to bed.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Aww! I wonder if I had been working then

I was looking for you! Then, and again in April when my mom and I were boarding the ride.

Fabulous outfit, my dear! You look super cute.

I'm glad that you too are a fan of the Grand Marnier orange slush...YUM. Reminds me of an orange creamsicle! :slurp:

ETA: Oops, looks like you're posting at the same time I am! Bummer about the Artist Point meal...we're hoping to try that one next December, but we'll have to think about it.

Thanks, Shannon! I *heart* leggings... when the style fades away (as styles inevitably do), I will continue to wear them proudly. :lol:

Oh yeah... the Grand Man is my new BFF! Orange creamsicle is right.

Artist Point wasn't necessarily bad, it just wasn't anywhere near signature. If I had went in with different expectations, my review may have actually been different.

diddy_mouse

At some point mid-way through the show, Stitch appeared on the front screen with one of my favorite lines ever, “Ohana means family!” Waahhhhhh. :cry: :lol: I was already a wreck that night, but it was all over for me at that point. I couldn’t hold the tears back any longer - they were happy tears, sad tears, and bittersweet ones, as well. One squeeze of Brett’s hand and I looked over to see that he may or may not have had tears streaming down his cheeks, too. It was one of those rare little moments when time stands still and the important things in life become astoundingly clear. Here we were, in this sea of people, quietly experiencing a moment that was for the two of us alone. It was magical. I’m as sappy as they come, and there was something about watching The Magic, Memories, and You for the first time ever, with the man of my dreams, my husband, on the final night of what could only be described as the most fabulous Disney wedding/honeymoon extravaganza EVER that in one instant made me feel like the luckiest person in the entire world.

Okay, this whole paragraph totally got me. :cry:

I must say, seeing the pictures of the "delicious light" heading over to the MK almost got me too. (I had a really bad night at work tonight, more emotional than usual) That is my favorite time of day and what better place to spend it than on the boat from the Wilderness Lodge. I really, really need to take more pictures at this time of day!

Brandon and I made an attempt at Artist Pointe for our anniversary but we were so put off by the staff at the podium that night we ended up giving our reservation away. Sad, because I really wanted to go there for the atmosphere as well as what I hoped would be a good meal. Heh, we ended up at Pinocchio's Village Haus instead that night and we couldn't have been happier. :D

fractal

Holy Moly! This is the Trip Report that keeps on giving!:sohappy:

Tom Bricker beware, Hollybelle is making a serious run at the best Trip Report I've seen!

I love the pics, the commentary and especially how you are not afraid to write about your emotions.

Wonderful report and again, I wish the both of you all the best!

MillerPoppins

Originally Posted by HollyBelle
At some point mid-way through the show, Stitch appeared on the front screen with one of my favorite lines ever, “Ohana means family!” Waahhhhhh. I was already a wreck that night, but it was all over for me at that point. I couldn’t hold the tears back any longer - they were happy tears, sad tears, and bittersweet ones, as well. One squeeze of Brett’s hand and I looked over to see that he may or may not have had tears streaming down his cheeks, too. It was one of those rare little moments when time stands still and the important things in life become astoundingly clear. Here we were, in this sea of people, quietly experiencing a moment that was for the two of us alone. It was magical. I’m as sappy as they come, and there was something about watching The Magic, Memories, and You for the first time ever, with the man of my dreams, my husband, on the final night of what could only be described as the most fabulous Disney wedding/honeymoon extravaganza EVER that in one instant made me feel like the luckiest person in the entire world.

THIS is exactly why I think we all love Disney as much as we do. That feeling is one of the best feelings in the world. Tim and I had that this past trip, so I can only imagine how it must feel for you newlyweds to be completely and totally wrapped up in such a wonderful moment in your lives. I'm so happy that this Honeymoon and of course, the wedding, went just the way you hoped for (other then sickness of course). Just this past Tuesday, I walked in to the MK with that show going on and completely lost it. I had my own moment (which you are aware of ;)). Of dreams finally coming true after 12 years of waiting, and wishes being granted. So happy you two had such a wonderful trip together... :D

Still loving every second of your trip report Holly! That whole paragraph about your emotions during the Magic, the Memories and You...:cry: Yeah, it made me cry. I totally get it too, because I just saw it for myself last weekend, so it was easy for me to stir up my own emotions as well.

Sad that your last day is approaching, but I do have to say this really is one of the BEST TR's I have ever read!!

Can't wait for your next one! :sohappy:

Txrayado

So after reading yall trip report I am deffinatly going to have to do my own when I come back from my Honeymoon! though my pics wont look as amazing as yours...

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Okay, this whole paragraph totally got me.

I must say, seeing the pictures of the "delicious light" heading over to the MK almost got me too. (I had a really bad night at work tonight, more emotional than usual) That is my favorite time of day and what better place to spend it than on the boat from the Wilderness Lodge. I really, really need to take more pictures at this time of day!

Brandon and I made an attempt at Artist Pointe for our anniversary but we were so put off by the staff at the podium that night we ended up giving our reservation away. Sad, because I really wanted to go there for the atmosphere as well as what I hoped would be a good meal. Heh, we ended up at Pinocchio's Village Haus instead that night and we couldn't have been happier.

Thanks, Erin. I believe that very moment topped both our lists of favorite things on the entire Disneymoon. I LOVE stuff like that. I haven't felt such an emotional pull to a *show* since first seeing Illuminations seven years ago!

Isn't it funny how things work out? I'd say you weren't missing much at Artist's Point. :lol:

The boats! We should take the boats more often, and especially at that time of day. It's just so beautiful and serene.

I hope you have a better day, today!

Holy Moly! This is the Trip Report that keeps on giving!

Tom Bricker beware, Hollybelle is making a serious run at the best Trip Report I've seen!

I love the pics, the commentary and especially how you are not afraid to write about your emotions.

Wonderful report and again, I wish the both of you all the best!

Thanks so much, Chris! Granted this report is like, three totally different reports all wrapped up in one. You're too kind!

I think I'll be happy that I included the emotional parts when I look back at it in years to come.

THIS is exactly why I think we all love Disney as much as we do. That feeling is one of the best feelings in the world. Tim and I had that this past trip, so I can only imagine how it must feel for you newlyweds to be completely and totally wrapped up in such a wonderful moment in your lives. I'm so happy that this Honeymoon and of course, the wedding, went just the way you hoped for (other then sickness of course). Just this past Tuesday, I walked in to the MK with that show going on and completely lost it. I had my own moment (which you are aware of ;)). Of dreams finally coming true after 12 years of waiting, and wishes being granted. So happy you two had such a wonderful trip together...

It really did go exactly as planned... and it was everything I could've ever wanted. Of course, I'd like to do it all again tomorrow! Not differently though, just the same!

I can only imagine how it felt to be standing there after such a wish being granted!

Still loving every second of your trip report Holly! That whole paragraph about your emotions during the Magic, the Memories and You...:cry: Yeah, it made me cry. I totally get it too, because I just saw it for myself last weekend, so it was easy for me to stir up my own emotions as well.

Sad that your last day is approaching, but I do have to say this really is one of the BEST TR's I have ever read!!

Can't wait for your next one!

Thanks so much, Melanie! It really does stir up the emotions... especially the part about how important the photos and memories are. Sigh. It speaks to me.

So after reading yall trip report I am deffinatly going to have to do my own when I come back from my Honeymoon! though my pics wont look as amazing as yours...

DO IT! You'll totally thank yourself later for taking the time to put it all into words. It makes the trip so much more memorable. Really.

PolynesianPrincess

That whole section about the MM&Y... yup, definitely sitting at my desk at work with tears in my eyes. Thank goodness no co-workers can see me!! :lol:

I am in the same boat as you with Spectro... Gets me every time!! That and Wishes.. I'm a mess after Wishes! In May I tried to wear my sunglasses so maybe no one would see my crying but then i just looked silly... Couldn't really pull off the sunglasses at night look!! :lookaroun

NewfieFan

I'm still reading and loving every minute of it!

The scene you described got to me too! :cry: I think MM&Y is great and I had tears in my eyes when it came to an end and Walt says, "To all who come to this happy place, welcome!" I remember standing there with my husband and two kiddies thinking I was the luckiest girl to have a happy place to share with my family.

I love Spectro too and can't wait for it to come back. MSEP was fun to see once for a change but that's it... give me Spectro again!

(I also don't get the Wizard of Oz either - odd movie!)

DisneyFan1003

I’ve seen the show on three subsequent trips since then, and every single time I’ve been fortunate enough to feel the emotional pull that I felt that very first night. It’s amazing how our senses can take us to a specific moment like that.

We're exactly the same way with stuff like that...but I'll warn you...just wait until your first trip with kids! When we took our daughter last summer (7 months) we were watching the castle show. When the princesses came out to waltz, I started dancing with her and the next thing I knew I was all choked up! I was dancing with my baby in front of the castle...I was TOAST! Chrissy had the video camera out and I thouight "awesome to have this moment on film"..only later did I realize she was taping the the show and not us! Oh well...I won't forget!

What will this forum do when your report has ended?? A moment of silence, perhaps... :ROFLOL:

sweetpee_1993

OMG! The entire set?! I love the Muppets with my whole entire heart. I do. They take me back to the earlier part of my childhood when everything was still okay. And my grampa was a fan. Grampa totally "got" the awesomeness of those witty little puppets. Love love love 'em. I gotta ask, tho, does Gonzo have a white hen to keep him company??? If not, I know exactly what I want to send you!

Okay. So like everyone else this paragraph really got me. This bit is a testament to your writing ability, sweetie. We were right there with ya and we know exactly what that moment was like. Oh yeah. I love love love when these moments present themselves in life but especially at WDW. I hope to capture a little of that kinda magic myself on our anniversary trip. :animwink:

I think the MM&Y show is one thing I'm especially looking forward. I'm glad you offered up the killer tip to take the time to get up close to the castle. I'll definitely be doing that.

I've never heard anyone describe the Grand Marn Slushie as orange creamsicle. Orange creamsicle is one of Tracey's absolute favorite tastes so maybe I'll be able to liquor him up & take advantage of him. WooHOOO! Gotta love these little info "gifts". :lol:

Okay...so continue on........ I'm ready to see this one thru. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom