7DMT Animatronics

lazyboy97o

The "good enough" mentality is not present with those that don't know what used to be, or think they know what should be. The "good enough" mentality is something that is applied to someone on these boards that enjoys the parks without pointing out all the flaws. So the 1% could have the "good enough" mentality, but not the other 99% as they have no comparison.
That comment is about Disney, not the audience.

LithiumBill

No, that is a "good enough" mentality.
No it's not. If the general audience has no idea what is going on behind the scenes, it is not effecting them at all. You can keep trying to spin it any way you want, and I understand your point. But for the first time visitor, or the visitor that goes a few times a decade on a family vacation, they are not seeing what we see or know as fanatics that we are.

Akin to Star Wars, there was a loud online voice about the prequels, yet each one set records in the box office. Why? Because not everyone is a fanatical critic. People went to have a good time. Some where disappointed, yet went back for episode 2 and 3. Some were so enraged they claimed "George Lucas raped my childhood" (yet heck, they went back as well to see all three prequels).

For that matter, you admitted you still go back to the MK. Albeit not as much, but you still go... because you like it. Which is ok. It's not perfect, there needs to be changes, but it's still the place we love to go.

Super fans are what we are, we nitpick, we see what should be better, and get jealous that the team down the street just signed another superstar to their lineup. But we cannot fault the other 99% that are not informed (or do not care) about the things behind the scenes. They may just want to go and enjoy the show.

doctornick

Of course it's an opinion, so is your comment about the ride. I don't care what anyone else thinks, I think Toy Story Mania is a bad ride. People are free to like whatever they like, the only thing this attraction did for me was make me regret having waited in line to ride it (and I didn't wait long, 5 minutes and it still felt like a massive waste of my time). My idea of a fun Disney experience is not waiting in a long line (the queue is actually the only good part of the ride IMO) only to have the end result turn out to be a mediocre video game disguised as a ride. Even as a huge video game player myself, shooting at video screens doesn't impress me with regards to a Disney ride (and if I wanted to play such a meh video game i'd just go an buy a copy of the adaptation for Wii/360/PS3). Even less impressed by the absurd standby lines it consistently commands of often 90+ minutes (which has immensely less to do with the inherent quality of the ride, and more because of the crippling lack of other kid friendly non-thrill rides at the park). Probably my least favorite "ride" at WDW.

I'll just point out that the ride gets pretty significant lines at TDS, a park with plenty of other -- many high quality -- rides available. IIRC, it is often a 60-90 minute wait there. It's cool if the ride does not appeal to you and many others, but it's popular on it's own merits to a lot of guests.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So back to the animitronics, there has only been three faces that have been revealed, correct? And the characters in the cottage will or will not have movement?
My theory is they ran out of money so only 3 of the seven will have faces. The other 4 will just face their backs to the riders;)

The cottage is still mostly a mystery. There are 2 ways to look at this. The glass half full approach which is if the 3 we saw in the mine scene are looking good, the cottage may be as good or even better. The other way to look at it is if there was anything impressive in there they would have shown it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No it's not. If the general audience has no idea what is going on behind the scenes, it is not effecting them at all. You can keep trying to spin it any way you want, and I understand your point. But for the first time visitor, or the visitor that goes a few times a decade on a family vacation, they are not seeing what we see or know as fanatics that we are.

Akin to Star Wars, there was a loud online voice about the prequels, yet each one set records in the box office. Why? Because not everyone is a fanatical critic. People went to have a good time. Some where disappointed, yet went back for episode 2 and 3. Some were so enraged they claimed "George Lucas raped my childhood" (yet heck, they went back as well to see all three prequels).

For that matter, you admitted you still go back to the MK. Albeit not as much, but you still go... because you like it. Which is ok. It's not perfect, there needs to be changes, but it's still the place we love to go.

Super fans are what we are, we nitpick, we see what should be better, and get jealous that the team down the street just signed another superstar to their lineup. But we cannot fault the other 99% that are not informed (or do not care) about the things behind the scenes. They may just want to go and enjoy the show.

I would argue that it is effecting them, but they just don't know it.

I don't know if the prequels are a good analogy, Episode II did a LOT less business worldwide then Episode 1. Episode 1 did $1027 million worldwide, but Episode 2 only $649 million.

JungleTrekFan

We haven't seen anything about the cottage figures. I actually wonder if they'll opt to not use projections for their faces. Projection effects need a dark environment to work at their best (you'll know what I'm talking about if you've ever tried to watch a projected video in a well lit environment). While the inside of the mine would logically be pretty dark and easy to control the lighting, the cottage is going to be exposed to the outside daylight much more than the mine scene. This could actually potentially mess up the effect of facial projections.
Idk if projection faces have the same issues. With Madame Wardrobe’s eyes, Lumiere’s face, Mr. Potatoe Head’s eyes, even Buzz Light Year all having spot lights on them and being in all different lit environments, i don’t think the lighting environment alone would directly make it so projection technology is out of the question.

I think the timing of how long we see that show scene would really affect if it is just a painted cardboard cut outs, statues, AAs, projections, etc.

Last edited:

LithiumBill

My theory is they ran out of money so only 3 of the seven will have faces. The other 4 will just face their backs to the riders;)

The cottage is still mostly a mystery. There are 2 ways to look at this. The glass half full approach which is if the 3 we saw in the mine scene are looking good, the cottage may be as good or even better. The other way to look at it is if there was anything impressive in there they would have shown it.
The difference between these AAs and Ursula and Ariel are that these had the projections, so there was only a half show piece to show off before the projection programming was completed. Maybe that is why they delayed showing these so long? Maybe?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The difference between these AAs and Ursula and Ariel are that these had the projections, so there was only a half show piece to show off before the projection programming was completed. Maybe that is why they delayed showing these so long? Maybe?
Could be right. The plans changed at some point so maybe the current AAs with projection haven't been around for very long.
As has been said in the past, in relation to the cottage scene, Snow White IS supposed to be the most impressive animatronic since Ursula. That is what was said. So there could be a very good reason why they are not showing her yet
That would be a welcome addition. Did someone other than the Construction23 guy say that?

Kman101

It comes down to this, as a longtime lurker and sometimes poster, I see it like this, complaints are valid but it's the subtle digs and the constant having to PROVE they are RIGHT that this will SUCK. Basically. It's not that complaints aren't valid. I personally have numerous complaints about WDW as a whole and express them. I'm disappointed it took like a decade to build this thing (that's sarcasm), I'm disappointed they ripped out a ride for a princess gathering but I'm not constantly bringing it up.

It just seems to me that there are quite a few people who just instantly look for ANYTHING to PROVE they are right. Like "well, they're not THAT impressive"

To YOU. So what if people think they're the best things ever? Why is that so bothersome? And also, I have to say that the folks complaining about the negative nancy's are sometimes no better (sorry, and I know I fall inbetween both).

And then it starts with "well, they won't maintain them" and "the screams are because they want it to seem more exciting than it is". Have you ridden it to know whether it's exciting or not? No you have not. THAT is what seems to be the problem. At least for me. And it does get old seeing the SAME EXACT POST time and time again.

And then there's "well they would have showed us more if they were actually impressive" (or something like that). It's called TEASING. Why on earth do we have this insistance on knowing everything and if they don't tell us then it just won't happen. I did like how some said they weren't showing the animatronics because they weren't good and then all of a sudden the video is relased. And yes, they are impressive. But then someone would follow up with "for what they are". Well, what more do you want? Seriously? I for one would love to see TDO give us things like Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Mystic Manor but they aren't. I'm not going to knock something that I expected to be a mild family coaster just because it's not what I *personally* wanted to see. And I understand many are disappointed in the fact that it's a "family coaster" (and I, without kids, shares that, to some degree, but If I wanted a thrill coaster, I know where to go).

Folks seem to be spouting their personal opinions as facts (and I guess to some degree I do too). We all place our expectations on things and if they aren't met, then everything about it will suck. I'm sure many will argue with me on this, but that's just how I see it. And then I'll be reminded that we complain because we care.

And yes, this is all IMHO.

And as flynnibus stated, they patronize TWDC as long as they give them a product they're interested in. It's clear many don't care about this coaster so why are people wasting their time trying to prove so hard how bad it will be when no one has ridden it yet. Because TDO is poorly run. Yes, they are, that much cannot be argued. They value engineer things to death (and yes the Little Mermaid ride was badly done, and I could tell that just from watching a youtube video, but I'm not going to lecture someone about it if they like the ride).

I dunno. It's just clear that there's a divide on this board. There's hardly an inbetween. It's either you have to hate the place or you have to love it.

CheekBoys

="Kman101, post: 6045053, member: 46150"]It comes down to this, as a longtime lurker and sometimes poster, I see it like this, complaints are valid but it's the subtle digs and the constant having to PROVE they are RIGHT that this will SUCK. Basically. It's not that complaints aren't valid. I personally have numerous complaints about WDW as a whole and express them. I'm disappointed it took like a decade to build this thing (that's sarcasm), I'm disappointed they ripped out a ride for a princess gathering but I'm not constantly bringing it up.

It just seems to me that there are quite a few people who just instantly look for ANYTHING to PROVE they are right. Like "well, they're not THAT impressive"

To YOU. So what if people think they're the best things ever? Why is that so bothersome? And also, I have to say that the folks complaining about the negative nancy's are sometimes no better (sorry, and I know I fall inbetween both).

And then it starts with "well, they won't maintain them" and "the screams are because they want it to seem more exciting than it is". Have you ridden it to know whether it's exciting or not? No you have not. THAT is what seems to be the problem. At least for me. And it does get old seeing the SAME EXACT POST time and time again.

And then there's "well they would have showed us more if they were actually impressive" (or something like that). It's called TEASING. Why on earth do we have this insistance on knowing everything and if they don't tell us then it just won't happen. I did like how some said they weren't showing the animatronics because they weren't good and then all of a sudden the video is relased. And yes, they are impressive. But then someone would follow up with "for what they are". Well, what more do you want? Seriously? I for one would love to see TDO give us things like Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Mystic Manor but they aren't. I'm not going to knock something that I expected to be a mild family coaster just because it's not what I *personally* wanted to see. And I understand many are disappointed in the fact that it's a "family coaster" (and I, without kids, shares that, to some degree, but If I wanted a thrill coaster, I know where to go).

Folks seem to be spouting their personal opinions as facts (and I guess to some degree I do too). We all place our expectations on things and if they aren't met, then everything about it will suck. I'm sure many will argue with me on this, but that's just how I see it. And then I'll be reminded that we complain because we care.

And as flynnibus stated, they patronize TWDC as long as they give them a product they're interested in. It's clear many don't care about this coaster so why are people wasting their time trying to prove so hard how bad it will be when no one has ridden it yet. Because TDO is poorly run. Yes, they are, that much cannot be argued. They value engineer things to death (and yes the Little Mermaid ride was badly done, and I could tell that just from watching a youtube video, but I'm not going to lecture someone about it if they like the ride).

I dunno. It's just clear that there's a divide on this board. There's hardly an inbetween. It's either you have to hate the place or you have to love it.
I agree 100 percent, I hate when people complain about things they were never promised like the SDMT for example things like length and animatronics.

Last edited:

Figment2005

It comes down to this, as a longtime lurker and sometimes poster, I see it like this, complaints are valid but it's the subtle digs and the constant having to PROVE they are RIGHT that this will SUCK. Basically. It's not that complaints aren't valid. I personally have numerous complaints about WDW as a whole and express them. I'm disappointed it took like a decade to build this thing (that's sarcasm), I'm disappointed they ripped out a ride for a princess gathering but I'm not constantly bringing it up.

I agree with you on everything except the "value engineering" comment pertaining to Mermaid and TDO. That was a completely cloned attraction designed and built initially in Anaheim.

Mawg

I agree with you on everything except the "value engineering" comment pertaining to Mermaid and TDO. That was a completely cloned attraction designed and built initially in Anaheim.

You have to give TDO some credit for the façade and the queue though. They are the best part of the attraction. Problem is they really build you up for disappointment. Oh well, here's to hopping they one day up date the ride with better animatronics and fix the show scene issues.

Kman101

Oh I think they did an amazing job on the queue and the exterior (and for Ursula ... and I'm pleased they seem to be going with the DCA refurb). And the same for the Dwarf's mine. It's just too bad we still have that awful carnival facade for Peter Pan's Flight and small world (and PhilharMagic but that's a theater, I don't mind but a stellar themed exterior would be nice).

MerlinTheGoat

The sad thing is that while Peter Pan could be easily altered to have a better facade similar to its Disneyland/Paris cousins (with a better upgraded queue courtesy of the old bathroom), there's not a whole lot that can be done to replicate the Disneyland facade for Small World. They already kind of tried that inside and kind of made more of a mess than helped things. Small World is supposed to have its own dedicated space for the original facade to work properly, and every other Small World at other Disney parks was built with that space in mind to allow such a facade. WDW's doesn't have this space (and therefore doesn't have the facade) due to the way this area of Fantasyland was originally designed, it was kind of shoved in there up close to Peter Pan and not given much space to breathe (the tent facades and this particular choice to cram Small World into a tiny area are the only really big issues I have with the original MK design).

Since moving the Small World attraction to a better area where the Disneyland facade would work would be a no-go i'd imagine due to cost, they'll have to think of another way to fix it up. Something entirely new. It would need some major imagineering from talented artists to work properly, but I have mentioned before something like a German-type half timber and stone facade with a glockenspiel clock looking motif. There's a really neat looking one in Munich that could serve as inspiration to base elements off of-

Glockenspiel.jpg
220px-Marienplatz_glockenspiel.jpg

It would at least give WDW's version of Small World an upgrade and its own new identity. Unfortunately, despite what they've done to upgrade Pooh's queue, it looks like we're stuck with the tent facades for now. The Princess Fairytale Hall still uses a variation of that style, so there doesn't seem to be much of a desperation to change it. Even Tokyo Disneyland (despite praise to its fantastic management) still uses a very archaic version of Fantasyland with tent exteriors...

Figment2005

You have to give TDO some credit for the façade and the queue though. They are the best part of the attraction. Problem is they really build you up for disappointment. Oh well, here's to hopping they one day up date the ride with better animatronics and fix the show scene issues.
I agree, just wanted to make a point that it wasn't TDO that "value engineered" the attraction.

mergatroid

It's quite funny whe you take a step back from this thread and think about it for a minute. I've delayed an 'early to bed night' as I explained to my wife "I'm engrossed in a thread where grown ups are fighting about the seven dwarfs appearance on a childrens roller coaster". She looked at me first kind of disappointed and then kind of bewildered before disappearing, leaving me here chuckling to myself at the absurdity of it all :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom