5 Things to Skip at Disney World

Matt_Black

You have inspired me to try the baked beans. I love baked beans and don't know why I haven't tried them, but it's on my list to try in December! Thanks.:cat:

They're great. Nice smoky taste. Most baked beans tend to be a little too much on the sweet side for my taste, which is a problem with a lot of barbecue foods, in my opinion, but Flame Tree's beans are the bee's knees.

vyst

BYO ponchos is the only "advice" worthwhile on that article. But it's Yahoo...so I don't expect much.

Agreed.

Me and my SO bring our own food for lunch and dinner, but we go 3-4 times a month so that adds up. If you're doing a family vacation that's like once a year, you should really be enjoying the theme park flavor in its entirety. Now I'm not going to assume financial situations but if you have a family of 5 right, you're going to spend $10-ish per person + drink just to eat out at a restaurant in your hometown on a normal night. I feel like if you were going to say Europe- would you be taking the same dining approach?

betty rose

I'm not a picky or fancy eater. But Sunshine seasons, Harbor House, and Boma have the best eats around. We always get a park hopper so that we can go from Magic Kingdom to Epcot, and cool off on the monorail. We are rested and ready to do the shows in Epcot, one of our favorite things to do. Most are air conditioned, and we have learned much about the country's. We top our 2nd park with Sunshine Seasons. A perfect day in my opinion. I love walking around the lake in early evening. With a frozen drink, margarita, or Icee. :D

rucifee

I'm not a picky or fancy eater. But Sunshine seasons, Harbor House, and Boma have the best eats around. We always get a park hopper so that we can go from Magic Kingdom to Epcot, and cool off on the monorail. We are rested and ready to do the shows in Epcot, one of our favorite things to do. Most are air conditioned, and we have learned much about the country's. We top our 2nd park with Sunshine Seasons. A perfect day in my opinion. I love walking around the lake in early evening. With a frozen drink, margarita, or Icee. :D

Sunshine Seasons sucks, Harbor House sucks, Boma is tasty but over priced for what it is. Good luck cooling off on the monorail, it's usually down and when it's down the AC is not on. A frozen margarita does sound nice though.

NonnaT

It depends.

We've always had PH, but admittedly haven't always used them. On those occasions, we wanted the flexibility that they offered, but ended up not needing it. After all, park-hopping has an additional time cost associated with them, so it's better to stay put in one park. So yeah...waste of money.

But for our December trip, we have PH and have planned to use them. That's because 3 nights of the trip involve MVMCP and the MK is closing at 7pm and AK is closing at 6pm on another night. Without PH, we'd have very little to do on those days. (We are planning to see Yehaa Bob on one of those nights and attend one of the MVMCP nights...but PH will come in handy on the other 2 nights.) And we're currently not up for a full day at Epcot, but there are a few things we want to do in the morning on one day and I certainly want to see Illuminations at night. So we'll be using PH to fill in that space in between. So yeah...totally worth it.

As I said, it depends.
You will LOVE YeeHaw Bob!

ninjaprincesst

The whole thing is just stupid. I cook and cook and clean at home, Im not doing it on vacation. The food is very good. It is leaps and bounds above other theme park food. This person needs to go eat the crap served at Six Flags and Sea World and they will see how good it really is. Yes,you can stay off site and save a little money, but it's also a pain dealingwith the drive rental cars and all of that. The pancho thing is stupid, I have looked at Wal Mart and Target and to buy one of similar quality to Disney you pay a similar price to Disney and the cheap dollar store once fall apart in two seconds. The Park Hopper is an essential to us, especaily during busy times of the year.

iYazmo

The only things that makes sense in this article is skipping Park Hopper & bringing your own ponchos. I've used it on every single trip but it isn't for everyone. My family makes most of our ADRs at Epcot so it makes sense in our situation. Visit a park during the day, and then head to Epcot for dinner and spend time there afterwards.

Why would I skip the food? Even though the dining plan isn't cheap, if you know how to use it to your advantage, you can save some money. I believe the dining plan comes out to $60 per adult, per night. When my family is having $175-$200 dinners every single night, it definitely saves us some money.

rucifee

Why would I skip the food? Even though the dining plan isn't cheap, if you know how to use it to your advantage, you can save some money. I believe the dining plan comes out to $60 per adult, per night. When my family is having $175-$200 dinners every single night, it definitely saves us some money.

That's kind of the point, unless you're going to eat filet and finish with a dessert every single day you're there you aren't going to save money. There's a very handy calculator that will tell you if it's a deal or not, I highly recommend people use it before choosing the dining plan unless it's free, then choose it unless you can get a resort discount!

G00fyDad

BYO ponchos is the only "advice" worthwhile on that article. But it's Yahoo...so I don't expect much.

Why use a poncho? You're at Disney. Have fun in the rain. One of the best times of our day when it rains hard is laughing as we all dive for the nearest cover. If it is a light rain we just walk through it watching all of the other people huddled under the awnings. :D

That's kind of the point, unless you're going to eat filet and finish with a dessert every single day you're there you aren't going to save money. There's a very handy calculator that will tell you if it's a deal or not, I highly recommend people use it before choosing the dining plan unless it's free, then choose it unless you can get a resort discount!

Wow. I love that calculator. I have always told people to compare what they would eat with the cost of the dining plan to see if it is a good deal or not. That tool makes all of that nonsense. I love that calculator. Thank you!

iYazmo

I use to just do the math in Excel but that calculator is great. I know what I'll be using now. Thanks for the tip!

rucifee

Wow. I love that calculator. I have always told people to compare what they would eat with the cost of the dining plan to see if it is a good deal or not. That tool makes all of that nonsense. I love that calculator. Thank you!

I use to just do the math in Excel but that calculator is great. I know what I'll be using now. Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome. :cool:

habuma

You will LOVE YeeHaw Bob!

Yes, indeed. This isn't our first Yehaa Bob experience. *I* have seen him a few times without my family. The first couple of times was me walking very slowly by as I was sent to fill our resort mugs. The third time, my wife said to go without them while she put the kids to bed. Back in January, however, I made them go with me. Now it has become a must-do thing. They're hooked.

thomas998

My apologies if this was already posted, but may I just say LOL!!!!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-things-skip-disney-world-130600015.html

Summary:
1) Skip the food. (WOW, great advice I guess it's ALL bad?) Bring your own food in is her suggestion
2) Limit memorabilia (What a concept)
3) Skip the $17 parking
4) Take your own Poncho (Really, 1 of the 5 is saving $10 on a Poncho and having to carry it around)?
5) Skip Park Hopper

I won't address all of them, but she says to skip Park Hopper and the food is "cafeteria quality."

You can tell this woman has been one time and now considers herself qualified to write an article telling people what they should avoid. In the article, she says the food is "too expensive"

Quote:
"I really wanted to like the food at all the theme parks, even the pricier ones at the World Showcase at Epcot, but the food was on par with hospital cafeteria food. Now the worst part of it all was the price. For three adults and two kids, our average bill was $70."

Not only is calling World Showcase food cafeteria food ridiculous, she's lying that she tried them if she's saying $70 for 3 kids and 2 adults. Just 2 adults would cost $70, maybe too much for her, but worth it for me and proof she's not talking about Le Cellier, Teppan Edo, Biergarten, Via Napoli, Chefs De France, etc.

She admits she's a newbie in regards to the Park Hopper claim:
"For a newbie, there's so much to look at each park that you probably won't use the park hopper option. Also, with kids, the rain and the humidity, you'll probably want to call it a day after going to one park -- I know we did!"

It just pains me to read articles such as these with so little research and so little knowledge. Skipping Park Hopper would not be the end of the word if you know what you're getting into, but it's imperative for people

Her twitter is @SusanYooLee.

To be fair, I can agree with her on some of the food... it really depends on what place she ate at because there are some places at Disney that are really below cafeteria quality, other much better... I think she's wrong for saying they all are, but then you are equally wrong by defending all the place in World Showcase, they aren't all great.

G00fyDad

To be fair, I can agree with her on some of the food... it really depends on what place she ate at because there are some places at Disney that are really below cafeteria quality, other much better... I think she's wrong for saying they all are, but then you are equally wrong by defending all the place in World Showcase, they aren't all great.

They aren't all great, to you.

Disney has never made any claim that every place to eat on property is 5 star quality. After all, you're at a theme park. Not Per Se in NY.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom