5 Things to Skip at Disney World

Daniel Johnson

What cafeteria has she been to? Ive went to high school and college cafeterias.... also been to prison... the food at Disney is leaps and bounds above those.
I crave the baked potatoes in Liberty Square almost daily....

DisneyJunkie

The article is just another example of how the news and newspaper people will make up articles full of ridiculous "advice" or information simply for the sake of having an article to print up for people to read. It happens too often, and these kinds of articles will be written in a way that would make the average reader actually believe the author is a regular visitor of (or really in-the-know about) Disney World, when they really aren't. "Skip the food" is just a dumb thing to say because if you pass up ALL the food in Disney, you will be passing up some outstanding meals along with the standard theme park fare. (To me, even the basics like burgers, chicken strips, and pizza are all still pretty good there, even if overpriced.) Another dumb thing was "Skip Park Hopper", because in my own experience and view, it's a necessity. The only good pieces of advice was in regards to limiting memorabilia and bringing one's own poncho.

By and large, however, the kind of vacation she was suggesting with her "advice" wouldn't be all that fun. It still amazes me that she considers park hopping a waste. Just because there is SO much to see and do in WDW doesn't mean it requires an entire day per park. Some things become quick favorites, and other things aren't more than a quick glance and you move on.

If anything, THIS kind of article is more helpful than anything that first woman had to say: http://www.wesh.com/orlandomyway/or...rviving-disney-world-as-a-firsttimer/33608638

Last edited:

NCO91590

Park hoppers are essential for us as we stay at Beach Club Villas. I love the ability to hop over to WS for dinner or just a cocktail or two before dinner. Or if we feel like just watching Illuminations. We also don't go every year, but rather ever 2-3 years and stay for 10 days. We just kinda tour around, if that makes sense.

DisneyJunkie

Truth spoken. While we certainly have our favorite table service options, pizza at Pinocchio's Village Haus is a must on every trip. Not sure why, but we love that pizza. (Some day we hope to get a table overlooking the iasw queue.)

Agreed, although since they changed out the regular pizza for the flatbreads, we haven't gone back to PVH. We'll get our pizza at Pizza Planet at DHS or Pizzafari at AK.

habuma

Agreed, although since they changed out the regular pizza for the flatbreads, we haven't gone back to PVH. We'll get our pizza at Pizza Planet at DHS or Pizzafari at AK.

To each their own, but we don't care for Pizzafari and Pizza Planet is just meh. All we've known from PVH are the flatbreads and they're not-quite-but-almost awesome. (And I don't even like flatbread pizzas that much.)

jaklgreen

We always get PH. We like to do evening magic hours. We usually go to a different park during the day and go back to the room in the evening and for a bit then go and stay out late at the EEMH. Especially when MK is open to 2 or 3am. Also we are usually done with AK and HS earlier in the day and then hop over to MK or Epcot. I don't like how she wrote it as if she is an authority and everyone would be an idiot to not follow her ways. And bring all of your own food? really? I cant believe that sounded good even to her as she wrote it. Water is $2.50 not $3.00 LOL

WDW74

expensive meme.jpg

righttrack

I'm trying to play devil's advocate and justify this person's review. I'm guessing for a one day visit to the parks, counter service, this may have been her experience. If you're only going for one day, maybe a park hopper makes less sense. Too short of a trip to make to travel between parks and no benefit of going back to your room for a chill. If you're only doing counter service and you walk into Caseys, or someplace with the most basic food, maybe that's her viewpoint.

We all know different of course.

TXDisney

What to skip is relative. Bc it depends the ages of the people going. We don't have kids yet, so we skip a lot of stuff now. But it's kind of on purpose so when we have to once we have kids it will feel like a 1st visit. Same could be said the opposite way. If you've only been with kids saving adult things can be great so it feels like a 1st visit.

disney4life2008

At the MK last month I dined at Columbia Harbor and was blown away. I got the shrimp platter with fries and a cup of clam chowder. It was absolutely amazing. On top of all the other amazing dining options including Casey's for QS - MK has amazing food. Both HS and AK are blah - though, I do enjoy the QS chinese spot at AK. I know everyone raves about EPCOT world showcase food - but I have been less than pleased with all of it. Of course, the major exception is Fish and Chips. I used to always go to the french bakery when it was small and quaint; however, the last two times I have been there I have encountered the most arrogant CMs that dare me to ask a question. I almost cursed out this arrogant blonde working the food line but I choose to walk out.

DManRightHere

I frequently advise people to skip on Park Hoppers. We rarely use them. My old boss complains all the time about how Disney suckered him into a PH he never used. For a lot of people, the cost far outweighs the benefit.

I know some people consider them essential. But I'd be willing to wager that the majority of people going to WDW on any given day would be better off not buying the Park Hopper option.

If MK wasn't open so much later than the other 3 parks I would pass on park hopper. We go all day long, so if we're at Epcot or Hollywood Studios, when they close, we hop over to MK. Maybe it is Disney strategy to help push Park Hopper, I know MK is much more popular, but why not have the other 2 open much later? They are working on getting AK open later.

SyracuseDisneyFan

I disagree with the article. I feel the food's better than the cafeteria goop I used to eat. If I want to buy a souvenir, I will and I'll gladly use my own money. I also like the option of the Park Hopper.

blueboxdoctor

Hold up, no park hopper? I tell everyone to definitely get the park hopper. You never know what type of mood you're going to be in each day or maybe you don't have a super structured vacation (except dining, that has to be structured, and again, is a good reason to get the hopper if you don't want to be in Hollywood Studios all day but you are eating there in the evening and seeing Fantasmic).

And maybe she just ate somewhere bad in EPCOT. I know some places are definitely better than others. I'm not a fan of the Mexican or French restaurants (and mind you, I do like Mexican food). The Canadian restaurant has really good steaks (at least from what I remember, now that it counts as 2 meals on the dining plan I haven't gone in a while) and The Rose and Crown has pretty good steaks (and other food of course) as well. Sure, the buffets everywhere are going to be pretty standard affair, but to call them awful? Nah, I'm not having that. And to not go to Liberty Tree Tavern? That's just blasphemy.

As for ponchos. I've been there many times, and honestly, why bother with a poncho? The article indicates she went there recently, so it's obviously hot and humid there. It only rains for short bursts at a time (at least usually that is how it goes) and then you are stuck with a poncho. I say, take advantage of this time. People are afraid of some rain so they all huddle for "safety." While they are doing this, go hit up some rides or since it is still hot out, just keep on going with your day (unless you happen to be the Wicked Witch, then you can stay inside, just hope you don't run into Regina).

And I take it she didn't stay on a Disney resort. If so, the whole parking thing wouldn't be an issue. But even so, $17 isn't a bad deal. Try going to an Eagles game, I think that's like $25 a game. A lot at Ocean City, NJ is like $25 in the summer (well, there you can go on side streets to hit up a meter or park far away enough and get free parking).

For the memorabilia, well yeah, anyone with common sense would know not to blow hundreds of dollars on it. Unless of course you want to buy something to put away as a gift or you start some sort of tradition (my mom gets a Christmas ball each year we go with the year custom written on it with some sort of design).

Really, I think everyone on here could write a better top 5 list on how to do something at WDW.

polynesiangirl

LOL @ bringing your own food. Maybe for a snack or small meal here or there, but come on. Oh yeah, I'm going to either bring a giant cooler of food with me every single day to feed my family of four -- that I get to haul around in the hot sun, OR leave the park every time someone needs to eat? Sure, that sounds like a fun day, and a great use of my precious vacation time and the park passes that I spent an enormous sum of money for.

You know, I won't defend every quick service option out there. A few of them are really unappetizing to me and I'd rather be hungry than eat at them (I will not name names to spare the feelings of those who enjoy them, haha.) But flatly saying none of them are better than a sad cold sandwich you brought from your hotel (or bought at a grocery store offsite on your way over that morning,) is just incorrect.

Last edited:

Much-Pixie-Dust

"Blah" my Aunt *****! Flame Tree Barbecue had the best baked beans I've ever had.

EDIT: Really? THAT word is blocked by the auto censor? (Rhymes with nanny, starts with an F).
You have inspired me to try the baked beans. I love baked beans and don't know why I haven't tried them, but it's on my list to try in December! Thanks.:cat:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom