Trip Report 28 Going on 8...A Birthday Trip!

Hi everyone! I’ve been home for a few days sorting & editing pictures and can’t wait to start sharing my latest trip:)

I’ve always wanted to spend my birthday in Disney World – who wouldn’t?! ;)
So when my sister suggested we go for my birthday instead of me flying out to Denver to visit (she just moved), I was in! Then I asked my parents if they would want to come and to my surprise…they said yes! They love Disney too, but we haven’t been as a family in a few years. It was later in the day when it hit me that they really said yes because it meant seeing my sister for the first time since she moved to Colorado :rolleyes: haha. But they really were excited to all be together and spend my birthday in Disney World too:)

We stayed Friday, July 8th to Tuesday, July 12th at Port Orleans French Quarter! My sister and I loved this resort the last time we stayed and couldn't wait for my parents to see it too, we knew they'd love the theming.

Here we are on our last family trip in April 2013

Mom- Phyllis
Me- Sam
Sister- Alyssa
Dad- Larry

There were a few hiccups in the week leading up to and day of the trip...

It was about a week before we were leaving when I found out that one of my admission guest passes was lost by a friend on our last trip. I knew I could replace it but after doing some research I found out it would take two weeks in the mail, or you could do it in person at a site in Celebration. But they close at 4 on Fridays, and I was going to be landing at 2:30, which would be cutting it too close. I decided to apply for a new pass online and hope it would come before we leave. I also started panicking about all the time I spent planning out our fastpasses and not knowing if they’d be able to be applied to a new guest pass. All was better when the new guest pass arrived a few days after I ordered the replacement and they assured me the fastpasses would transfer right over to the new pass with no issues. Crisis 1 averted!

Speaking of fastpasses…some of our fastpasses on my guest passes weren’t showing up, I called several times and everyone gave me a different answer and was told to check back in a couple days and the system should be fixed. That never happened. I was told I used all the allotments I had for my guest passes, I knew there wasn’t any truth to that, then finally a very helpful cast member made new fastpasses for those missing to match the rest of the ones on my main entrance pass. Crisis 2 averted!

And then the biggest problem…my sister flew in from Denver early on the 8th. I flew out from LaGuardia at 11, and my parents were on a 6:30pm flight from Newark. Around noon, my mom gets an email that JetBlue had cancelled their flight and put them on a new one 24 hours later. I’m on the plane and totally helpless (and freaking out). My mom was able to get them on a flight that left about 90 minutes earlier and would connect through Boston and still get in Friday night, just a few hours later. Well, that flight ends up being delayed more and more and eventually there is no way if they ever got to Boston, they wouldn’t even make their connection. So again start looking for another flight and JetBlue puts them on a 5:30am flight Saturday out of JFK. That was the best they were going to get and thankfully I live just outside of NYC so they had a place to stay overnight since jetblue wouldn’t give them a hotel or anything for transportation.
I was, and still am annoyed by the whole thing though. They blamed the weather. I’m a meteorologist. Don’t blame the weather when I see it is NOT raining at or near Newark. Of course safety is the number one priority, and if there had been storms at Newark I would completely understand. But to cancel a flight 7 hours in advance for the chance of a storm, which never happened...I just don’t get it. What is even more frustrating is that all the other airlines were flying out at the time their original flight was supposed to leave…ANYWAY knowing my parents were for sure on a flight first thing the next morning, my sister and I set out to enjoy our night together! We still felt bad they had spent all afternoon sitting around and dealing with the airport, but they were happy too just to be on a flight in the morning.

Sorry that was a lot, but NOW TO THE GOOD STUFF :)

I worked the morning before I left and when I walked into my office I was greeted with the best surprise! An early Disney princess birthday bash, complete with a blow up Mickey, princess figures lining my computer, a Frozen balloon and Disney music in the background. I’m so lucky that my coworkers are also some of my best friends. They know me very well and really got me good that morning. (ps. I’ve managed to keep those decorations up for over a week now ;) haha)

After work I raced to the airport where I learned I was upgraded to first class…woo! Then we were off to Orlando!

We landed early and I quickly made it on to the magical express and before I knew it, was looking at this!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/K5mqQ4]

Soon enough we were pulling into our home, I hopped off the bus and hustled to our room where my sister, Alyssa, was waiting! It was great to see her after being apart for 3 months, especially since we were in DISNEY! We had so much to catch up on, but had several days to do it- so we quickly changed, grabbed our ears and ran off to Magic Kingdom!

On our way to the bus we picked up a birthday button!:D:D

One of the things I was most excited to see was Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire and we needed to hurry to make the last show of the day! Those pictures coming up next :)[/url]

samantha788

Original Poster
I was a huge Dream Along with Mickey fan. I was very sad when it ended, and if it weren’t for my friends bridal shower- I would have been there to live out my dream day of sitting in front of the castle on the last day watching it over and over haha. My sister on the other hand didn’t like it but was eager to see the new show too. I knew I’d miss the princesses, but I love Rapunzel and Frozen – Tiana too – so I had high hopes for this show.

:):)

First up was Tiana and Naveen, dancing with Goofy

Then Donald brings out the ruffians, and Daisy brings Rapunzel and Flynn!

Next, Mickey surprises Minnie with Anna, Elsa and Olaf. Olaf was so funny with the introductions

Then they are all reintroduced to sing and dance together :)

samantha788

Original Poster

Alyssa noticed that they bustle Elsa's cape! hah

Then fireworks!

Well...I LOVED it. Alyssa did too. The costumes were fun, the characters were great, and the music is so catchy! This was the first of a few times we watched it during the trip so many more pictures to come ;)
I think the show is going to be awesome to watch too in the winter months when it's darker for the last show. Some lights come on during Elsa singing "Let it Go" and the fireworks too will stand out much more when it's darker out :)

Both Alyssa and my favorite ride is the Tower of Terror. We had some time before our first fastpass in MK, so we decided to run to Hollywood Studios to get a ride in!

Made it!

That was literally all we did there haha but definitely worth the trip! Someone had a loose water bottle though on the ride so it was flying everywhere. I hadn’t seen or experienced a loose item flying around on ToT before and did not like it at all.

samantha788

Original Poster

Back to Magic Kingdom :)

This was the first time we bought memory maker...we loved it! I've just always thought that I take so many pictures that it didn't seem necessary, but we couldn't get enough of it. The pictures showed up almost immediately in the app and came out great. It's definitely something i'll do again in the future.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KcjKJ2]

The most awkward princess pose hahah

Rare to see Alyssa taking pictures ;)

It was such a beautiful evening!!:inlove:

[/url]

samantha788

Original Poster
Our first fastpass was to visit Cinderella and Aurora!

Aurora talked about the fairies making her birthday cake but it didn’t turn out too well and had to be held up by a broom haha

Cinderella liked our sparkly ears and asked if I had glass slippers. Since I didn’t she said she’d have to get the fairy godmother to get some for me. She said she was out looking for her wand so if we saw her, tell her Cinderella sent us haha.

The sky was AWESOME! There was a storm to the east and the sun was beginning to set in the west, made for awesome pictures:joyfull:

Then it was time for our Mine Train fastpass! And bonus, we were seated in the last row!
We both really love this ride, I think it's become my favorite in MK. Along with Dumbo ;)

The sky was getting prettier and prettier!!

After the Mine Train, we decided to go to Columbia Harbor House (our MK fav) and split something since we were getting hungry…we decided on the lobster roll.

After dinner I think we went for a ride on the Haunted Mansion before grabbing a spot in the Hub to watch Celebrate the Magic and Wishes!:inlove:

samantha788

Original Poster
Wishes was wonderful as usual :inlove: The crowds were really light too! Waits weren’t long for anything and it didn’t feel crowded at all. This was a nice surprise for July.

After Wishes we went over to visit Rapunzel and Tiana! There was no wait, we walked right up to them :)
Tiana said if she knew I was coming she would have made birthday beignets. yum!

Rapunzel wasn’t too chatty, but was happy to hear I was having the best birthday ever.

Rapunzel wasn't very chatty, but I still had a lot to say apparently hahaha:p

We made our way out of the Magic Kingdom, walked to The Contemporary to get an uber to Walmart so we could pick up a case of water, some drinks and snacks. Walmart at midnight was WAY more crowded than Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios was haha.
By the time we got home and went to bed, our parents were getting up to go to the airport. And by the time we woke up, they landed and were getting on the magical express!!

coachwnh

Enjoyed the start.

On a side note:

I, too hate delayed and cancelled flights! I got stuck in St. Louis because our plane taking us home was stranded in Atlanta by TS Collin. If it was just my wife and I, no big deal. But, it was just the kids and I and we were trying to get home for my daughter's fifth grade moving up the next day. We didn't make it. Got stuck in St. Louis and absolutely no help from Delta. But, we made the best of it. My daughter actually took it well. I'd be heartbroken, however, if it cost us a day in WDW. Looking forward to hearing how the rest of your trip went no that your parents are there.

sheriffwoody

So excited about your TR! I love all your pictures of the sun setting at Magic Kingdom. So so so pretty!

Sorry about your parents' flying issues :( That happened to my friend in January and she was only going to be there two nights to begin with! It was awful.

samantha788

Original Poster
Enjoyed the start.

On a side note:

I, too hate delayed and cancelled flights! I got stuck in St. Louis because our plane taking us home was stranded in Atlanta by TS Collin. If it was just my wife and I, no big deal. But, it was just the kids and I and we were trying to get home for my daughter's fifth grade moving up the next day. We didn't make it. Got stuck in St. Louis and absolutely no help from Delta. But, we made the best of it. My daughter actually took it well. I'd be heartbroken, however, if it cost us a day in WDW. Looking forward to hearing how the rest of your trip went no that your parents are there.

Ugh, so annoying! At least your daughter was a good sport. Thankfully it didn't mess with any of our plans, but it was just frustrating - especially when other airlines are flying safely! Thank you for reading :)

I'll be celebrating my birthday (albeit a few months later) down in Disney. I can't wait. Great trip report.

PS - Love your show! ;)
Thank you and thank you! This birthday in Disney has got to be the best yet :)

So excited about your TR! I love all your pictures of the sun setting at Magic Kingdom. So so so pretty!

Sorry about your parents' flying issues :( That happened to my friend in January and she was only going to be there two nights to begin with! It was awful.

Thank you so much! That is terrible about your friend!! I'd be so disappointed. Luckily this didn't mess any plans up too bad, just super frustrating.

samantha788

Original Poster
Saturday- July 9th

Good Morning Port Orleans!

My sister and I ran down to greet our parents, we were all happy to be there and be together finally!! My parents were immediately impressed with the resort and my dad was loving his magicband!

We had big plans for today including a scavenger hunt, and the new Frozen Ever After ride! Thankfully mom and dad made it in early enough so no plans had to be changed, my only concern was if we were going to need to change our Frozen FP time since I’m not sure we’d be able to get another for the entire trip.

I’ll get to the scavenger hunt in a few, but these were the shirts my mom made!
My mom and I were Team Best Day Ever and my dad and sister were Team Tiggerific!

We finished getting ready and hurried off to EPCOT, we had to make it to Arendelle in time ;)

YAY!

When we arrived, the stand by time was only 45 minutes! It was around 11:30 I believe and the whole park was very quiet. But we hopped right into the FP+ line and made our way through the queue onto the boat in a few minutes.

SVEN!:inlove::inlove:

My pictures of the ride came out awful i'm sorry! But I was definitely into taking in the ride rather than focusing on my camera. Would love another opportunity to ride:)

This though....:D

Alyssa's face is so funny, and I have no idea why I was leaning into her haha. I think I was anticipating going backwards, or the drop, and somehow Alyssa was to protect me:rolleyes:hahaha

We all really loved the new ride!! The music was so fun and the animatronics were amazing. Plus SVEN! He is just so cute. It still feels kind of off to have it in EPCOT - that would be my sister's number one complaint, but as a ride- it was awesome :)

samantha788

Original Poster
None of us had eaten yet, which for my parents was a long time coming from NYC, so we went to La Cantina de San Angel. My dad, sister, and I all had the empanadas and my mom had chips and guac. It was all SO GOOD.

We found a table near the water too, not a bad view. Actually, my sister went to get a table while my dad and I waited for the food. My mom went to look for Alyssa, then comes back to my dad and I and says she couldn’t find her. We’re both laughing like what do you mean you cant find her?! :rolleyes: The place wasn’t crowded at all, there were a ton of empty tables, so I take two steps out of the line to look and spot Alyssa sitting at a table near the water and send my mom on her way hahaha:D

After lunch, we went over to visit Anna & Elsa at the Royal Sommerhus. The posted wait was only 5 minutes! We ended up walking right in. Although there was so much to look at, I wouldn’t have minded a little line to take in all the little details.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Jg4e7T]

The meet with Anna and Elsa were both so fun. Anna asked if I was having fun for my birthday and asked how old I was turning. When I said 28, she said I should eat 28 cupcakes. I told her I’d need help and she said sometimes she likes to double the number so I should have 56 cupcakeso_O Then I said I’d REALLY need help, that is a LOT of cupcakes haha, she said she loves chocolate and so does Olaf so they’ll help!

Then we went to Elsa and I told her Anna just told me to eat 56 cupcakes for my birthday. She said she wasn’t surprised but why 56? I said she doubled my age. Then Elsa was no help by suggesting I eat 28 cupcakes and have a 28 layer cake:eek:hahaha

They were both really fun but this was probably my favorite Anna meet that we've had...and Dad got to meet them both for the first time! The Royal Summerhus was beautiful too! So many little details to look at.

Next up, our family scavenger hunt![/url]

samantha788

Original Poster
Scavenger hunt time!
When planning for our last family trip a few years ago, I came up with the idea of doing a scavenger hunt where we’d break up in teams for a few hours and get points for different things. We had such a fun time, laugh at the pictures all of the time, and it’s still one of our favorite Disney memories. Since this was a shorter trip we didn’t think we’d have the time to do it again, but after talking about it we decided we had so much fun last time that why not. So we gave us about 3.5 hours and would meet back at the resort. This year we got a bit more competitive with making shirts and coming up with team names haha

Team picture time:cool:

TEAM BEST DAY EVER:inlove:

TEAM TIGGERIFIC:cautious:

Some of the things we had on our lists...
1 POINT FOR EACH:
-Picture of group with matching shirts
-person in heels (wedges)
-Hidden mickey
-Character
-Couple with Minnie/Mickey wedding ears
-Different mode of transportation
-Photopass picture
-Birthday wish (this was a late addition when we noticed how many birthday wishes I was getting, Alyssa decided to wear a pin for the scavenger hunt too)
-Picture of a hat in each park visited
-Picture with the castle, tree of life, Chinese theater, geodesic dome, wishing well, sword in the stone

2 POINTS FOR EACH:
-Ride you go on
-Picture with a character
-Park or resort you visit

2 POINTS IF YOUR TEAM FINDS:
-Cast member with the same name
-Cast member that lives closest to your hometown
-The longest wait time

Game on! My dad and sister won last time, but I came up with an idea that would ensure a win this time for my mom and I;)

Here are just some of our pictures from the hunt, many are not well taken and are just pictures of people in matching shirts :p

This picture makes me laugh so much haha

80 minutes at Character Spot!:eek:

Monorail to Magic Kingdom!

samantha788

Original Poster
Meanwhile, Dad and Alyssa are on Figment, Nemo & Living with the Land

Any Say Yes to the Dress fans?! We saw Dianne! And she had on wedges, bonus! Next time I’m including celebrity sighting on the list haha

Team Tiggerific on their way out of EPCOT

So my idea to make sure we win…watch Festival of Fantasy!! Guaranteed a ton of character points! (and it meant I got to watch the parade;)) This was also my mom's first time getting to see it, she loved it too!

(side note...I can't even tell you how many times my sister and I have seen this parade, if you've read my past reports, you know how much we love it. Imagine my surprise when I was editing pictures and noticed RAY on the float with Tiana and Naveen!! I have no idea how we missed that before haha)

Flynn wished me a happy birthday:inlove::inlove:

At this time, Dad & Alyssa were on their way to MK. First on the monorail

SO many character points ahead ;)

samantha788

Original Poster

Dad and Alyssa hopped on the ferry for an extra point to complete their trip over to MK

After the parade, Mom and I went on the Haunted Mansion

Hats #2 for dad and Alyssa

They proceeded to stop at every photopass stop along Main Street hahah

They had photopass photographer, Steve- they took his picture thinking he may be the closest to where Dad lives

Just because...:)

More photopass, the longest wait time they saw of 85 minutes at the Mine Train, and a go at the sword in the stone

Mom and I went to visit my BFF Rapunzel and Tiana :)
Rapunzel asked what I did for my birthday so far and I told her we just watched the parade. She asked if I saw her and Eugene and I said yes AND Flynn wished me a happy birthday, and that was my favorite birthday wish so far. She said she'd get me a frying pan for my birthday since they are so useful and that she'd let extra laterns go that night for my birthday:happy:

awkward mid-hug haha

I don't remember what we talked about with Tiana. All I have written down in my notes is "gumbo" hahaha

samantha788

Original Poster
My mom and I stopped for a photopass picture behind the castle

Pascal!

Then we noticed our photopass photographer, Mike, was from Bayonne, NJ...just two towns over from me!

Our turn at the sword in the stone...

And the wishing well :)

More photopass

Another pascal visit:D

Dad and Alyssa headed out just a few minutes ahead of us.
Mom and I stopped for our MK hat pictures

Back in the French Quarter!

And back to our room to see that my dad and sister took their extra time to decorate for me!:D

When we were reviewing pictures I thought it was so funny that in EPCOT, Alyssa and I both wore the Rapunzel hat and in Magic Kingdom we both wore the Elsa ears! So many choices, I love that we both picked the same in the same places haha

The scavenger hunt results…my sister was dying to hear what my plan was because I was so excited about it. When I told her we watched the parade she got mad and said that’s not fair. My mom and I disagree and I still think it was a great idea, there were no rules about not watching parades or shows, and we took the time to wait and watch the parade so we deserve every point for each character we saw during it.

SO with the parade character points...Team Best Day Ever is the winner:D
Without the parade points, Team Tiggerific wins by a small margin:grumpy:

After this we were all pretty tired, especially my parents after their early morning travels so we all laid down for a nap. Which for me lasted 10 minutes when I heard the craziest thunder and jumped out of bed to watch from outside our room. The lightning and thunder was incredible and one bolt was so close I was recording and when it hit I saw it out of the corner of my eye and jumped. I ran inside and was like OMG haha. My dad then came out with me and we watched for a while more with the lightning all around us. I recorded a ton of lightning strikes. We walked back inside and my mom and sister were like what is wrong with you, why were you out there?! Well, weather is my life, and so is Disney, and this was a pretty awesome combination of both and definitely cooler than the storms we get in NJ.
(also, even though i'm a meteorologist, this was stupid of me..don't go outside with thunder and lightning :) )

LisaBelle

I am loving your report!
First of all, your family is so cute! You can tell that you all are having a wonderful time. Sorry your parents had issues with their flight, but am glad it worked out and you didn't even have to change any FP+ times :). Plus, it gave you and Alyssa some sister time which is always great!
We've used Memory Maker our last two trips. My sister and I took full advantage of it when we took our sister trip. That way we had pictures of both of us without them all being selfies. Most of the pictures came out well, but I've read a few recent reports where the photos were not so great.
Your photos of the sky at MK were beautiful. Actually, all of your photos are great!
Glad you liked Frozen Ever After. My daughter and I cheated and watched the video on here the day it opened. It looks like fun. I wish they would have built it in another park and kept Maelstrom, but at least it looks like it was well done.
Scavenger Hunt at Disney! Yes Please!!! Such a fun idea. I am trying to figure out if my family will love the idea or tell me I am crazy. I think I am going to try to convince them to do it on our next trip (whenever that will be, sadly no trip planned right now :()
Very fun that you saw Diane from Say Yes to the Dress. My daughter loves that show!
Flynn wished you Happy Birthday :inlove:! My daughter LOVES him. He is her absolute favorite. She would have been walking on air for the rest of the day if that happened to her.
It was sweet of your dad and sister to decorate the room for your birthday. POFQ looks like a great resort. I've never stayed there but after seeing it featured in multiple TRs it is on my radar for future trips.
Loved your story about the lightning.

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
I love this - especially seeing all the different ears. I have such a hard decision to make when buying mine.

Diana from SYTTD! I probably wouldn't have recognized her - her voice probably.

Cute room decorations! And watching Wimbledon, too. Bonus! I think the US Open will be going on when I'm there - nice to see I'll be able to catch some when I'm in the room. :D:D:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom