Trip Report 28 Going on 8...A Birthday Trip!

Hi everyone! I’ve been home for a few days sorting & editing pictures and can’t wait to start sharing my latest trip:)

I’ve always wanted to spend my birthday in Disney World – who wouldn’t?! ;)
So when my sister suggested we go for my birthday instead of me flying out to Denver to visit (she just moved), I was in! Then I asked my parents if they would want to come and to my surprise…they said yes! They love Disney too, but we haven’t been as a family in a few years. It was later in the day when it hit me that they really said yes because it meant seeing my sister for the first time since she moved to Colorado :rolleyes: haha. But they really were excited to all be together and spend my birthday in Disney World too:)

We stayed Friday, July 8th to Tuesday, July 12th at Port Orleans French Quarter! My sister and I loved this resort the last time we stayed and couldn't wait for my parents to see it too, we knew they'd love the theming.

Here we are on our last family trip in April 2013

Mom- Phyllis
Me- Sam
Sister- Alyssa
Dad- Larry

There were a few hiccups in the week leading up to and day of the trip...

It was about a week before we were leaving when I found out that one of my admission guest passes was lost by a friend on our last trip. I knew I could replace it but after doing some research I found out it would take two weeks in the mail, or you could do it in person at a site in Celebration. But they close at 4 on Fridays, and I was going to be landing at 2:30, which would be cutting it too close. I decided to apply for a new pass online and hope it would come before we leave. I also started panicking about all the time I spent planning out our fastpasses and not knowing if they’d be able to be applied to a new guest pass. All was better when the new guest pass arrived a few days after I ordered the replacement and they assured me the fastpasses would transfer right over to the new pass with no issues. Crisis 1 averted!

Speaking of fastpasses…some of our fastpasses on my guest passes weren’t showing up, I called several times and everyone gave me a different answer and was told to check back in a couple days and the system should be fixed. That never happened. I was told I used all the allotments I had for my guest passes, I knew there wasn’t any truth to that, then finally a very helpful cast member made new fastpasses for those missing to match the rest of the ones on my main entrance pass. Crisis 2 averted!

And then the biggest problem…my sister flew in from Denver early on the 8th. I flew out from LaGuardia at 11, and my parents were on a 6:30pm flight from Newark. Around noon, my mom gets an email that JetBlue had cancelled their flight and put them on a new one 24 hours later. I’m on the plane and totally helpless (and freaking out). My mom was able to get them on a flight that left about 90 minutes earlier and would connect through Boston and still get in Friday night, just a few hours later. Well, that flight ends up being delayed more and more and eventually there is no way if they ever got to Boston, they wouldn’t even make their connection. So again start looking for another flight and JetBlue puts them on a 5:30am flight Saturday out of JFK. That was the best they were going to get and thankfully I live just outside of NYC so they had a place to stay overnight since jetblue wouldn’t give them a hotel or anything for transportation.
I was, and still am annoyed by the whole thing though. They blamed the weather. I’m a meteorologist. Don’t blame the weather when I see it is NOT raining at or near Newark. Of course safety is the number one priority, and if there had been storms at Newark I would completely understand. But to cancel a flight 7 hours in advance for the chance of a storm, which never happened...I just don’t get it. What is even more frustrating is that all the other airlines were flying out at the time their original flight was supposed to leave…ANYWAY knowing my parents were for sure on a flight first thing the next morning, my sister and I set out to enjoy our night together! We still felt bad they had spent all afternoon sitting around and dealing with the airport, but they were happy too just to be on a flight in the morning.

Sorry that was a lot, but NOW TO THE GOOD STUFF :)

I worked the morning before I left and when I walked into my office I was greeted with the best surprise! An early Disney princess birthday bash, complete with a blow up Mickey, princess figures lining my computer, a Frozen balloon and Disney music in the background. I’m so lucky that my coworkers are also some of my best friends. They know me very well and really got me good that morning. (ps. I’ve managed to keep those decorations up for over a week now ;) haha)

After work I raced to the airport where I learned I was upgraded to first class…woo! Then we were off to Orlando!

We landed early and I quickly made it on to the magical express and before I knew it, was looking at this!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/K5mqQ4]

Soon enough we were pulling into our home, I hopped off the bus and hustled to our room where my sister, Alyssa, was waiting! It was great to see her after being apart for 3 months, especially since we were in DISNEY! We had so much to catch up on, but had several days to do it- so we quickly changed, grabbed our ears and ran off to Magic Kingdom!

On our way to the bus we picked up a birthday button!:D:D

One of the things I was most excited to see was Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire and we needed to hurry to make the last show of the day! Those pictures coming up next :)[/url]

LisaBelle

I love Columbia Harbor House. I think it is funny that Alyssa decided your dad should eat the lobster roll. That would have been my recommendation as it is my favorite. I love sitting upstairs in Columbia Harbor House. Such a beautiful view and a much more relaxed atmosphere. It was the perfect location for your birthday party! So fun that you got a little birthday cake. Those little surprises are what Disney does best.
Your shots from the Peoplemover make me so sad that Tina and I didn't get to ride it when we were there. Such a simple ride but a real favorite. As I am typing this I realized that it was down for refurbishment on our last family trip so I haven't ridden it since 2012 :jawdrop:!
Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire looks like a great show. Your pictures are awesome.

samantha788

Original Poster
Those shots are amazing!!
Thank you so much!! I love taking pictures and it's even more fun to share them :)

I love Columbia Harbor House. I think it is funny that Alyssa decided your dad should eat the lobster roll. That would have been my recommendation as it is my favorite. I love sitting upstairs in Columbia Harbor House. Such a beautiful view and a much more relaxed atmosphere. It was the perfect location for your birthday party! So fun that you got a little birthday cake. Those little surprises are what Disney does best.
Your shots from the Peoplemover make me so sad that Tina and I didn't get to ride it when we were there. Such a simple ride but a real favorite. As I am typing this I realized that it was down for refurbishment on our last family trip so I haven't ridden it since 2012 :jawdrop:!
Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire looks like a great show. Your pictures are awesome.
Thank you!! I totally agree about Columbia Harbor House! The upstairs is the perfect atmosphere.
Now you need another trip back too to ride the peoplemover!! ;) We all actually have matching peoplemover shirts that the disney store had for one of their limited releases haha. We didn't all wear them together, but my dad wore his on Saturday before our scavenger hunt. We love the peoplemover!
About to post more friendship faire pics right now!

Loving the pictures of Friendship Faire! The colors are so bright and shiny! :)
Thank you so much!!

samantha788

Original Poster
We stopped for some photopass pics in front of the castle :)

Tink!

Next up went to use our Big Thunder Mountain FP

I need to learn to wear my sunglasses :rolleyes:

Then Splash was working so we used our FP on that. It was HOT. You know it’s hot, when the local news is talking about how extra hot it is haha. Although the humidity wasn’t that bad which helped big time. I can handle the heat, I live for it, but worry about pushing everyone else too much in it. So a ride on splash was just what we needed as a teeny cool down and before standing out to wait for the parade;)

This is probably one of Dad and Alyssa's favorite rides. I like it, I just don't like getting wet! But lately, we've been going on it a lot more and i'm loving it even more than before- wet or not :p Mom feels the same way as I do, I actually don't even remember the last time she was on it!

Festival of Fantasy coming up next :)

DiSnEyF@n

My mom and I stopped for a photopass picture behind the castle

Pascal!

Then we noticed our photopass photographer, Mike, was from Bayonne, NJ...just two towns over from me!

Our turn at the sword in the stone...

And the wishing well :)

More photopass

Another pascal visit:D

Dad and Alyssa headed out just a few minutes ahead of us.
Mom and I stopped for our MK hat pictures

Back in the French Quarter!

And back to our room to see that my dad and sister took their extra time to decorate for me!:D

When we were reviewing pictures I thought it was so funny that in EPCOT, Alyssa and I both wore the Rapunzel hat and in Magic Kingdom we both wore the Elsa ears! So many choices, I love that we both picked the same in the same places haha

The scavenger hunt results…my sister was dying to hear what my plan was because I was so excited about it. When I told her we watched the parade she got mad and said that’s not fair. My mom and I disagree and I still think it was a great idea, there were no rules about not watching parades or shows, and we took the time to wait and watch the parade so we deserve every point for each character we saw during it.

SO with the parade character points...Team Best Day Ever is the winner:D
Without the parade points, Team Tiggerific wins by a small margin:grumpy:

After this we were all pretty tired, especially my parents after their early morning travels so we all laid down for a nap. Which for me lasted 10 minutes when I heard the craziest thunder and jumped out of bed to watch from outside our room. The lightning and thunder was incredible and one bolt was so close I was recording and when it hit I saw it out of the corner of my eye and jumped. I ran inside and was like OMG haha. My dad then came out with me and we watched for a while more with the lightning all around us. I recorded a ton of lightning strikes. We walked back inside and my mom and sister were like what is wrong with you, why were you out there?! Well, weather is my life, and so is Disney, and this was a pretty awesome combination of both and definitely cooler than the storms we get in NJ.
(also, even though i'm a meteorologist, this was stupid of me..don't go outside with thunder and lightning :) )

Loving and following your wonderful TR so far!!! Thanks for sharing.

blreinsel

Flynn and Rapunzel are SO cute.. That Flynn is quite swoon worthy. :inlove:

Elsa is always so regal and sassy. I love when she whips her cape around! You caught some awesome shots of Anna and all of her facial expressions. :hilarious:

samantha788

Original Poster
CANNOT WAIT to see the Friendship Faire show! Your pictures look amazing.
Thank you so much!! You'll like it! :) I keep watching it over and over on youtube haha

Loving and following your wonderful TR so far!!! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you so much for following along! :)

Flynn and Rapunzel are SO cute.. That Flynn is quite swoon worthy. :inlove:

Elsa is always so regal and sassy. I love when she whips her cape around! You caught some awesome shots of Anna and all of her facial expressions. :hilarious:
FLYNN, right?! Ughhhh :inlove: and the two of them could not be any cuter!

samantha788

Original Poster
After Splash, of course another birthday must do was to watch Festival of Fantasy!! :D My sister and I have started a tradition of watching the parade at the starting point in frontierland then racing over to Main Street before it gets there to watch again:p That's how much we love it!
Well, we had reservations at Hoop Dee Doo at 4:00 so instead of racing over to watch it twice, we’d have to race out of the park before it blocks Main Street or Town Square.

We all noticed clouds getting darker and there was a storm building just to the south. I was hoping they’d kick off the parade a little bit early and that’s exactly what they did! In theory, this would have been perfect for us to allow us some extra travel time over to Hoop Dee Doo, but that's not exactly what happened:oops:

After we got off splash, nobody was really waiting for the parade yet, it was about 2:30. My sister and I had no problem getting our favorite spot, and waited with all of our stuff while my parents went to get some water. My parents made it back with plenty of time, and this whole section was still wide open, probably had something to do with being in the direct sun and feeling like 106 :p but right as the parade starts this women shoves her two young daughters right in between Alyssa and I. Stepping all over our backpack and bags, I think knocking over our water too. Of course, if asked nicely, Alyssa and I would have no problem letting the girls stand in front of us - which I still don't see as necessary on this day because even when the parade was starting, the section was still very open with plenty of space along the rope.. But pushing and squeezing them into us, so much so that they are stepping over everything...it's not okay. I don't know where the mom disappeared to either, it all happened so fast. It's always something like that can quickly change the mood.

But no time to get all worked up because the parade was starting!

Rapunzel found a flower petal, i'm guessing from her hair, and blew it away haha it was cute

:inlove::inlove:

Then Rapunzel was blowing kisses to Flynn!

One of the Lost Boys came up to me to wish me a happy birthday and asked why I have to grow up. Good question, I don't want to!

samantha788

Original Poster
As soon as it was over we began our race to get out of the park, but as we’re approaching in front of Crystal Palace I noticed how far ahead the parade is from usual. It was flying down the parade route to beat the storm haha.
And they pulled the stilt walkers from the Maleficent unit out. It was fun watching these guys walk and duck under the building between The Crystal Palace and Casey's Corner.

We still hustled down the sidewalk of Main Street to attempt getting out but the parade was moving SO fast there was no way we were going to catch it. But that really wasn’t the end of the world because that meant we got to see it twice anyway!!:D

Caught Cindy in a funny wink ;) haha

Anna was playing hide & seek with someone...these pictures are all so funny to me

Olaf's turn:p

Elsa? haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom