2016 Imagineer Forum Year End Event!!!

spacemt354

Chili's
Something we could do. Repeat the elite eight, but host the brawl for those not participating to let everyone in on the fun? I don't know, it's just an idea.
That's a good idea - we did try something like that last year with the "Final Festivus" which was basically "imagineering for the rest of us":p in addition to the Elite Eight.

It didn't gain a lot of traction or activity, though that might have been because everything last year was last minute.

MonorailRed

Applebees
Aloha - I had some ideas that I wanted to share for the end of this year. Most are about the events but one is a concept that I think will benefit the forum as a whole.

I'll start with the events:

2016 Elite Eight - it may sound like a 1,2 step here on my part, but after giving it some thought and doing some research, we should look at what makes competitions great/what we remember them for.

In my opinion, while last year's Elite Eight produced a great winner in tcool, a hearty group of finalists, and culminated the calendar year successfully, I think it could have been a lot better. The discussion thread had 44 posts, there wasn't much activity or excitement, and I think it was a step down overall from the original in 2014.

I'm not sure anymore that expanding the roster to 16 will help, in fact it may aggrandize some of the problems, especially since there would have to be 4 challenges instead of 3, and all challenge lengths would need to be shortened to 4-6 days. This I fear would produce either rushed projects, or no projects at all, which would lead to automatic advancements throughout the tournament. If the main draw to this event is the imagineering, what I'd be in favor of is something that @Voxel had suggested as far back as last year - an Imagineering Brawl type event. An end of year bash essentially where anyone can join, pick your opponent, have a challenge, then have at it.

I was thinking a possible way to go about it would be to have two rounds, each two weeks long (Dec 1-15 and Dec 15-31). You can sign up for one or both of the rounds (this will help people in college with final exams in the first half of December who can't participate in the first half). For those two rounds we could have a variety of challenges to choose from (created and decided on by everyone here), we put those challenges together, and then from there, you can do a variety of things:

1 - You can pick a challenge that interests you and have at it, solo
2 - You can get a team together and work on a project together
3 - You can ask someone if they'd like to duel you, or duel in teams.

For example, how the 3rd option may go:

Round 1 (Dec 1-15) - I ask Voxel to play 1 on 1
Round 2 (Dec 15-31) - I play with Voxel to battle MonorailRed and another player, 2 on 2.

There are literally a ton of possibilities but the point of this is, you get to do what you what, when you want, and with whom you want. You could verse someone in Challenge 1, then be teammates in Challenge 2. And it's flexible, yet competitive. I think that this would generate a lot of creativity, good community involvement, and end this year on a real high note!

*Though if we did want to continue with the Elite Eight/Sweet Sixteen finale and didn't want to do the brawl concept above, I would suggest that we start deciding on that soon, because another reason why last year's Elite Eight was not as memorable was because all of the project prompts were rushed together in late November. We didn't even know who the host was until the last minute, so it'd probably be best if we were more prepared. Anyways, moving on...

Imagineering Hall of Fame 2016 - As we enter fall, for the last few years, we've had the Hall of Fame nominations, where we vote people who've contributed to the forum into the HoF. I like that tradition and if we could keep that up again this year, I think that'd be fun.

Dreamfinder Awards - Looks like @Sam4D23 will handle that again, always a fun event!

And the concept I wanted to talk about...

A Podcast Hub Thread - This one isn't even mine (in fact I think it's @TheOriginalTiki , but it's been brought up in theory, and well...I think it's a good theory. :p

We have 3 Youtube channels on the forum (SYWTBAI, DSquared, and SamMagic) - many times podcasts either get lost in a sea of discussion thread posts, or even competition thread posts, to the point where sometimes I'd like to go back and view them, but I don't want to fish through the threads.

Having a dedicated competition video hub thread would alleviate that, where you can still share your videos in the competition threads, but posting them in the dedicated thread as well will give it a place to be seen.

In fact, it's such a good idea that we already have this thread:hilarious: But we haven't used it since Jan 2015.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ition-videos-your-official-hub-thread.894401/

So if we wanted to create a new one, or just keep using this one, I think that would be a good idea. :)

Thank you - would be glad to hear everyone's thoughts!

Here's the fourth option...... :bookworm:

bd07286e6d506f94d6d2e322917d58b8520629417b763aa1c6d364a11a7c14fb.jpg

Maybe we can take a break during the holidays and just have some fun with the awards and some chill imagineering weekends stuff and holiday threads. :)

spacemt354

Chili's

kmbmw777

So I talked to space and he suggested that I change my Eisner's Game Competition to be the Year-End Fourm Event. So how this would work - top 16 form teams of 4 based on their ranks (1-4 on Team A, 5-8 on Team B, 9-12 on Team C, and 13-16 on Team D). Then after two rounds, the winning team would be divided into individuals and the top four would battle it out for the spot of champion. Link to the competition hype thread here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/eisners-game-competion-hype-thread.921306/

Last edited:

RMichael21

Original Poster
So I talked to space and he suggested that I change my Eisner's Game Competition to be the Year-End Fourm Event. So how this would work - top 16 form teams of 4 based on their ranks (1-4 on Team A, 5-8 on Team B, 9-12 on Team C, and 13-16 on Team D). Then after two rounds, the winning team would be divided into individuals and the top four would battle it out for the spot of champion. Link to the competition hype thread here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/eisners-game-competion-hype-thread.921306/
I actually really like this idea! :)

spacemt354

Chili's
I think @kmbmw777 will be a great host for this event (especially since we were in need of one!:D) I like this setup too...the way I see it, it's basically a combination of what everyone wanted for the event.

The points matter -- because they will determine the teams, however just as the last few years have gone, some who make the cutoff won't play, which is cool. So just like the other years, the next in line simply moves up! If a new member wants to play - I think that'd fine too! - they just assume the lowest point total, and are assigned to "Team D", which makes sense to me. It also adds a bit of wonder because who knows that new member could be amazing and win it all!:bookworm:

And I think Kevin agrees with this, but it'll follow a similar format to the prior years in terms of scheduling.

Round 1: Dec 1 - Dec 8 --- Team A vs Team D and Team B vs Team C
Round 2: Dec 9 - Dec 16 --- Team A/D vs Team B/C and the consolation game fr 3rd/4th place
Round 3: Dec 17 - Dec 30 --- winning team in individual play

That way we have teams, two rounds in teams, and for the hardcore players -- who would most likely make it to the end, we also get an individual round!

Looks good to me!:)

RMichael21

Original Poster
I think @kmbmw777 will be a great host for this event (especially since we were in need of one!:D) I like this setup too...the way I see it, it's basically a combination of what everyone wanted for the event.

The points matter -- because they will determine the teams, however just as the last few years have gone, some who make the cutoff won't play, which is cool. So just like the other years, the next in line simply moves up! If a new member wants to play - I think that'd fine too! - they just assume the lowest point total, and are assigned to "Team D", which makes sense to me. It also adds a bit of wonder because who knows that new member could be amazing and win it all!:bookworm:

And I think Kevin agrees with this, but it'll follow a similar format to the prior years in terms of scheduling.

Round 1: Dec 1 - Dec 8 --- Team A vs Team D and Team B vs Team C
Round 2: Dec 9 - Dec 16 --- Team A/D vs Team B/C and the consolation game fr 3rd/4th place
Round 3: Dec 17 - Dec 30 --- winning team in individual play

That way we have teams, two rounds in teams, and for the hardcore players -- who would most likely make it to the end, we also get an individual round!

Looks good to me!:)
Completely agree. :)

spacemt354

Chili's
@kmbmw777 another thing I think would be fun would be to have the forum decide on what the 3 challenges will be!

Everyone puts forth their best concepts (including yourself) and then we vote on which ones we want to do. That want the burden is not on one sole person and the majority rules on what we do!

kmbmw777

@kmbmw777 another thing I think would be fun would be to have the forum decide on what the 3 challenges will be!

Everyone puts forth their best concepts (including yourself) and then we vote on which ones we want to do. That want the burden is not on one sole person and the majority rules on what we do!
Would we still use the concept of the event taking place in the future and the movie thread?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom