2016 Imagineer Forum Year End Event!!!

spacemt354

Chili's
Hey guys! I had a March Madness Esque Comp (Not Diamond Ears) in the works that could be adapted to work for the Eilte Eight/ Sweet Sixteen, if no one else steps up.
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "esque" comp?:p

I only say that because Elite Eight/Sweet Sixteen is already in March Madness style (heck even taking the round names from it)...so I'm wondering how yours would be different:)

Magic Feather

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "esque" comp?:p

I only say that because Elite Eight/Sweet Sixteen is already in March Madness style (heck even taking the round names from it)...so I'm wondering how yours would be different:)
The Esque just involved advantages to those who did extremely high quality work. But those could easily be eliminated to make it a strict bracket Style.

spacemt354

Chili's
The Esque just involved advantages to those who did extremely high quality work. But those could easily be eliminated to make it a strict bracket Style.
The bracket style is what it is now

(taken from last year)
9300237_orig.png

I'd also recommend trying out and competing in one of the upcoming comps this fall if you're interested! :D

spacemt354

Chili's
This is unrelated but I just thought of this. How about we do what we had Little Giant do in the past with the schedule, but not limit it to a certain # of comps. But we'd still need to know early so we don't have 4 comps running into each other again.
As long as you have a line of communication open with others, and are able to compromise together, then I don't see it ever being that big of an issue where everything has to be planned out in advance.

I'm not really in favor of a schedule, mostly because it sets restrictions on competition length.

Say what you will about it, and I'm not going to discuss anything but the schedule, but I do feel that SA S3 was compromised due to the schedule set in place that forced it to end in September. The way I can show that is looking at the length of challenges between Seasons 2 and 3. (Note: that it was the same level of difficulty per challenge in both seasons)

Season 2 (no set schedule)
Challenge 1 (July 5 - July 13)
Challenge 2 (July 15 - July 23)
Challenge 3 (July 26 - July 27)
Challenge 4 (July 28 - August 9)

Season 3 (set schedule)
Challenge 1 (July 5 - July 13)
Challenge 2 (July 14 - July 17)
Challenge 3 (July 18 - July 19)
Challenge 4 (July 19 - July 22)

With the schedule, the competition condensed what was previously more open and flexible.

It's funny how Challenge 1 was the exact same length (even dates) of the previous season...then you had the next 3 challenges in the span of 8 days, compared to the previous season where the next 3 challenges almost took a month. And to extents...the set schedule made it stressful at times for IDI and myself to plan out the due dates of The Creator Games...if people needed an extension...we were tied up, because we needed to end by a certain date to keep the schedule in tact.

I just think...it's been tried before, and while an excellent idea on paper for organizational purposes, its execution in practice just over-complicated stuff. We live, learn, and don't repeat:p

Though, I don't think its out of the realm of possibility for upcoming comps to give an estimate length along with any announcements...that way everyone has a general idea of what's to come, even if its not exact. That way communication lines can be set up and hosts can plan it all out themselves and come to an agreement.

DSquared

Say what you will about it, and I'm not going to discuss anything but the schedule, but I do feel that SA S3 was compromised due to the schedule set in place that forced it to end in September. The way I can show that is looking at the length of challenges between Seasons 2 and 3. (Note: that it was the same level of difficulty per challenge in both seasons)
I think the problem here is that there was no communication between hosts of comps about the schedule, because it was made behind closed doors. I was thinking maybe we have all the people who want to host in 2017 start a PM and figure it out themselves, so we don't have a bunch of people all trying to do comps at once, and everyone agrees with the schedule.

spacemt354

Chili's
I think the problem here is that there was no communication between hosts of comps about the schedule, because it was made behind closed doors. I was thinking maybe we have all the people who want to host in 2017 start a PM and figure it out themselves, so we don't have a bunch of people all trying to do comps at once, and everyone agrees with the schedule.
Eh, I think there was communication between the hosts to come an agreement (a ton...), and everyone agreed on paper, but then in practice...it didn't work out.

Also planning in 2016...for 2017, doesn't account for something else...you and me.;)

As in...people who discover the imagineer forum in the middle of a calendar year, and want to be active. (That was me last February and you last May)

It also doesn't account for spontaneous ideas. If we had a set schedule for 2016...I'd wager half of these competitions wouldn't have happened this year. Definitely not the House Cup, as that idea didn't even happen until February. Probably not the Road Trip, as Puff was a new member at the time, it would have probably been pushed off. And probably not all these Fall competition ideas.

Honestly, idk how everyone else feels, but this year has been the best imagineering year ever on the boards.

54 contestants, 4 awesome comps, great brainstorming threads, and fun activities. And none of it with any sort of schedule. So I don't see why we'd want to go back to something that created controversy?

spacemt354

Chili's
Also planning in 2016...for 2017, doesn't account for something else...you and me.;)

As in...people who discover the imagineer forum in the middle of a calendar year, and want to be active. (That was me last February and you last May)
To expand on what I mean by this....you had said "we" (as in the active people on the forums now)...will agree on a schedule.

What happens when some of the people who agreed on the schedule aren't active next year? And a new crop of imagineers comes in, who didn't agree or even have a say in this schedule, become active on the forums?

A schedule doesn't account for variable change...and the change in activity levels that are consistent on forums. A set schedule assumes that the people who agreed to it will remain completely active throughout the next year...and new members next year will simply fall in line.

That's just a big assumption to make and it already hasn't worked once. :p

spacemt354

Chili's
Aloha - I had some ideas that I wanted to share for the end of this year. Most are about the events but one is a concept that I think will benefit the forum as a whole.

I'll start with the events:

2016 Elite Eight - it may sound like a 1,2 step here on my part, but after giving it some thought and doing some research, we should look at what makes competitions great/what we remember them for.

In my opinion, while last year's Elite Eight produced a great winner in tcool, a hearty group of finalists, and culminated the calendar year successfully, I think it could have been a lot better. The discussion thread had 44 posts, there wasn't much activity or excitement, and I think it was a step down overall from the original in 2014.

I'm not sure anymore that expanding the roster to 16 will help, in fact it may aggrandize some of the problems, especially since there would have to be 4 challenges instead of 3, and all challenge lengths would need to be shortened to 4-6 days. This I fear would produce either rushed projects, or no projects at all, which would lead to automatic advancements throughout the tournament. If the main draw to this event is the imagineering, what I'd be in favor of is something that @Voxel had suggested as far back as last year - an Imagineering Brawl type event. An end of year bash essentially where anyone can join, pick your opponent, have a challenge, then have at it.

I was thinking a possible way to go about it would be to have two rounds, each two weeks long (Dec 1-15 and Dec 15-31). You can sign up for one or both of the rounds (this will help people in college with final exams in the first half of December who can't participate in the first half). For those two rounds we could have a variety of challenges to choose from (created and decided on by everyone here), we put those challenges together, and then from there, you can do a variety of things:

1 - You can pick a challenge that interests you and have at it, solo
2 - You can get a team together and work on a project together
3 - You can ask someone if they'd like to duel you, or duel in teams.

For example, how the 3rd option may go:

Round 1 (Dec 1-15) - I ask Voxel to play 1 on 1
Round 2 (Dec 15-31) - I play with Voxel to battle MonorailRed and another player, 2 on 2.

There are literally a ton of possibilities but the point of this is, you get to do what you what, when you want, and with whom you want. You could verse someone in Challenge 1, then be teammates in Challenge 2. And it's flexible, yet competitive. I think that this would generate a lot of creativity, good community involvement, and end this year on a real high note!

*Though if we did want to continue with the Elite Eight/Sweet Sixteen finale and didn't want to do the brawl concept above, I would suggest that we start deciding on that soon, because another reason why last year's Elite Eight was not as memorable was because all of the project prompts were rushed together in late November. We didn't even know who the host was until the last minute, so it'd probably be best if we were more prepared. Anyways, moving on...

Imagineering Hall of Fame 2016 - As we enter fall, for the last few years, we've had the Hall of Fame nominations, where we vote people who've contributed to the forum into the HoF. I like that tradition and if we could keep that up again this year, I think that'd be fun.

Dreamfinder Awards - Looks like @Sam4D23 will handle that again, always a fun event!

And the concept I wanted to talk about...

A Podcast Hub Thread - This one isn't even mine (in fact I think it's @TheOriginalTiki , but it's been brought up in theory, and well...I think it's a good theory. :p

We have 3 Youtube channels on the forum (SYWTBAI, DSquared, and SamMagic) - many times podcasts either get lost in a sea of discussion thread posts, or even competition thread posts, to the point where sometimes I'd like to go back and view them, but I don't want to fish through the threads.

Having a dedicated competition video hub thread would alleviate that, where you can still share your videos in the competition threads, but posting them in the dedicated thread as well will give it a place to be seen.

In fact, it's such a good idea that we already have this thread:hilarious: But we haven't used it since Jan 2015.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ition-videos-your-official-hub-thread.894401/

So if we wanted to create a new one, or just keep using this one, I think that would be a good idea. :)

Thank you - would be glad to hear everyone's thoughts!

RMichael21

Original Poster
Imagineering Hall of Fame 2016 - As we enter fall, for the last few years, we've had the Hall of Fame nominations, where we vote people who've contributed to the forum into the HoF. I like that tradition and if we could keep that up again this year, I think that'd be fun.
If y'all want, I can handle this. I'm pretty sure I did it last year (I think :confused::p).

spacemt354

Chili's
If y'all want, I can handle this. I'm pretty sure I did it last year (I think :confused::p).
Sure that sounds fine. For people who don't know what that is - this is last year's thread.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/tafi-imagineering-hall-of-fame-2015-vote.906912/

basically people get nominated by their peers for their work on the forum, and then the nominees with the highest vote totals get in (last year it was upped from 2 inductees to 4 I believe) so the top 4 people got in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom