2014 ICS Elite Eight: Discussion Thread

RMichael21

You guys both make excellent points. Our critique with the cafes had less to do with purpose and more to do with concerns about space (but again having never been to WDW myself I'm mostly going off of what Joker tells me) and the fact that it goes beyond the requirements of the project which while certainly not a bad thing I always take into consideration when reviewing projects.
While knowledge of Walt Disney World is helpful, knowledge of Disneyland will be key in the coming weeks. ;):cool:
*Hint*

Zweiland

Original Poster
While knowledge of Walt Disney World is helpful, knowledge of Disneyland will be key in the coming weeks. ;):cool:
*Hint*
tumblr_m8y3jnAaR61r231xw.gif

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You guys both make excellent points. Our critique with the cafes had less to do with purpose and more to do with concerns about space (but again having never been to WDW myself I'm mostly going off of what Joker tells me) and the fact that it goes beyond the requirements of the project which while certainly not a bad thing I always take into consideration when reviewing projects.
Without a doubt. I enjoyed that the two of you noted it, and talked about it.

It's always fun to hear others thoughts (I love feedback and constructive critique).

I just wanted to clarify that, at least in my case (and IDI, it seems) restaurants weren't just added for the sake of adding something.

With the limits of the challenge, none of us had very much room to explain the purpose a bit more, and had that been in the actual presentation, I could see that changing your initial reaction to the concept.

As it stands, I totally get why you guys reacted the way you did the the idea!

Zweiland

Original Poster
As for the WDW thing, it's honestly kind of a wierd dislexia thing on my end. I ALWAYS pronounce Disney parks like that. Whenever I'm at DLR I'll literally call DCA "dee see aye". Just my brain reciting the letters I see over and over I guess, haha. I'll keep it in mind moving forward, but can't make any promises that it will stop :p
Ha, I spell out D-C-A but not W-D-W. It seems like I'm just going for the least number of syllables :D

In any case, I only suggested that to try to make it easier for you. By no means should you change if you don't want to.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yeah, I completely agree.
Although, on the other hand an argument could be made for there being better views of the castle now.
But the trees give it a special kind of beauty:inlove:
It was also a function of the reveal and transition.

With the trees and the hub plaza / park, it was a smoother themed transition from Main Street to the other lands, with the "weenie" tease of the tip of the castle spires to drive you forward.

As you moved through the trees, the castle would grow and "reveal" itself. It was an amazing effect.

While still impressive, the stark image of the Castle is at odds with Main Streets theming, and while it still works, isn't nearly as subtle a transition as it used to be.

That being said, the decision was largely about fireworks viewing, I suspect. And in that respect (fireworks and frankly parade views) the lack of trees is a significant improvement.

I still miss them though.

Sam Magic

Again, great video! You guys really went in-depth and made it entertaining. I look forward to more videos! It's nice to put a face and voice to the people here...hopefully you guys will meet my face and voice soon ;)

As for the TTC, I think it all depends on how you design it. If you make it more dense and build it up (height wise) you have more room for different things. If you build a more sprawled out method space can be limited. Personally I liked England's method of making a terminal/airport/transit hub. That's what it should be and his concept not only made that happen, but pulled it off extremely well.

Sam Magic

It was also a function of the reveal and transition.

With the trees and the hub plaza / park, it was a smoother themed transition from Main Street to the other lands, with the "weenie" tease of the tip of the castle spires to drive you forward.

As you moved through the trees, the castle would grow and "reveal" itself. It was an amazing effect.

While still impressive, the stark image of the Castle is at odds with Main Streets theming, and while it still works, isn't nearly as subtle a transition as it used to be.

That being said, the decision was largely about fireworks viewing, I suspect. And in that respect (fireworks and frankly parade views) the lack of trees is a significant improvement.

I still miss them though.
I kinda disagree with the trees, yes less means more space, but more with additional landscaping can help in the transition.

It would be cool if Disney put Fantasylamd in the front and made Main Street a mini-land

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom