$200 gift card with Disney Visa Credit Card

sbkline

I have one credit card and only need one credit card, so normally when I see a credit card offer in my mailbox, it goes straight in the trash. But for some reason, I got one from Disney today and decided to open it...perhaps because I wanted to just make sure it was "junk mail" and not that $631 refund check I'm expecting as a result of dumping the $500 gift card deal in exchange for the 35% off deal. When I opened it, I see that they are offering a free 200 Disney rewards points with the first use of this credit card, which can be redeemed for a $200 gift card. So I figured what the heck, I'll sign up for the card, use it once, get a 200 dollar gift card to use at WDW in April, then chuck the credit card in the garbage. There was no mention of a minimum amount to purchase, so I'm guessing I can just use it for a $20 DVD at Walmart in order to qualify for the gift card.

Anyway, the question I have in regards to WDW is, can I redeem the points for the gift card at one of the WDW resorts? WDW and DisneyLand were specifically mentioned in the offer as to places where this gift card can be used...theme park tickets, dining, etc. So is there anyone here who has taken advantage of this offer who can verify whether or not they can issue this gift cart at WDW, or must I redeem it ahead of time and take to WDW with me?

sbkline

Original Poster
If they just give you the points on your statement rather than automatically sending you the card, there's a Disney Visa booth in Downtown Disney where you can pick up your card.
According to this, you can also get one at the guest relations booth of any park, but I've never heard of anyone trying it before.
http://disneyrewards.disney.go.com/cardbenefits/waltdisneyworldresortbenefits.html

Got my card in the mail Thursday and used it for the first time yesterday. I called a little while ago, and she said the purchase is showing, but that it takes 6-8 weeks for the 200 rewards points to show up. We're leaving for WDW 6 weeks from tommorrow.

So, if I understand correctly what you just said, I should just be able to take my Disney Visa card to DTD or the guest relations booth of one of the parks, and they will give me my 200 dollar gift card. Is that correct?

Upvote 0

lilclerk

Got my card in the mail Thursday and used it for the first time yesterday. I called a little while ago, and she said the purchase is showing, but that it takes 6-8 weeks for the 200 rewards points to show up. We're leaving for WDW 6 weeks from tommorrow.

So, if I unAderstand correctly what you just said, I should just be able to take my Disney Visa card to DTD or the guest relations booth of one of the parks, and they will give me my 200 dollar gift card. Is that correct?
As long as the points are attached to your account, yes you can get the rewards card at DTD or guest relations. Sounds like the question here is how many billing cycles it takes for them to get the points on your account. Usually it's the end of the same cycle but I'm not sure if promotional points are different.

Upvote 0

Cmoore12282

I recieved 200 point offer in the mail late last fall, but i never applied because i didn't think we were going to go disney this year. Now we have a big urge to go and i regret not returning the application. The promotion ended in december, i was just curious if anyone has had any experience trying to apply and just sent it in anyway after the date or if you called and had any luck maybe. I still have the application, and i picked up a new one at the disney store in the mall. The new one is only 50 bucks after first purchase so im really hoping to figure out a way to get the 200 since the would greatly increase our chances of going this year.

Upvote 0

midwestmama3

Too good to be true?

Does anyone know the restrictions of the gift card-can you use it on the Disney cruise line? I'd love to get $200 to use toward my shipboard account for our upcoming cruise but don't want to have my credit score lowered by getting a new credit card if I can't use the $200 onboard.:p

Upvote 0

UberPlannerMom

These answers are all so interesting to me... I have been wondering if we could do it and apply it towards paying off our trip this year. Things that make you go hmmm....

Upvote 0

wizards8507

Is Chase uber strict about the Disney card? I got my Platinum Plus World Points card from BoA with no problem but I was just denied the Disney Rewards Visa. I monitor my credit score and there seems to be no reason for this except extraordinarily high standards.

Upvote 0

britlightyear

We have had our Disney Rewards Visa card for several years and every year when we go to Disney World we just stop by the guest relations office at one of the parks and they give us an "empty" gift card and we just have to call the phone number on the gift card- which just calls Chase- and they activate the card and transfer whatever amount of points you want on it, 1 point = $1. We have never had any issues doing this, just make sure you take your Disney Rewards card and your driver's license with you to guest relations.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
Does anyone know the restrictions of the gift card-can you use it on the Disney cruise line? I'd love to get $200 to use toward my shipboard account for our upcoming cruise but don't want to have my credit score lowered by getting a new credit card if I can't use the $200 onboard.:p

I'm not totally sure about the cruise line, but I do want to emphasize that you might not get the $200 gift card. First off, I'm not sure whether or not you can go online on your own and apply for the card without first receiving an offer in the mail or email. Secondly, the offer they send you in the mail may or may not be for $200. Since I accepted the offer and received my card, for some reason, I still continue to get mailings offering me the exact same credit card I already signed up for. But the offer isn't always for a $200 gift card. Sometimes it's $150, sometimes $100 and I was thinking I may have even received on for $50 once. So just because I got my credit card under an offer for a $200 gift card, that doesn't mean that will be the offer available if/when you get a mailing, or (in the event that you can unilaterally go online and sign up without first getting a mailing) when you notify them to sign up.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
These answers are all so interesting to me... I have been wondering if we could do it and apply it towards paying off our trip this year. Things that make you go hmmm....

Whatever amount of gift card you may receive under the offer you get, I'm pretty sure that you can use it to pay towards the balance of your Disney trip. But even if you can't, you surely won't have any trouble going through $200 (or less, see my above post) while at WDW. Because I do know for a fact that it can be used at most restaraunts, on merchandise at the gift shops, even for gratuities.

Upvote 0

Korfar

I love the Disney Rewards card. We have had it for about 4 years now. It has saved us over $1,000 so far with the points. We use it for everyday purchases then pay it off every month. The points add up fast.

Upvote 0

nroon

So, if I understand correctly what you just said, I should just be able to take my Disney Visa card to DTD or the guest relations booth of one of the parks, and they will give me my 200 dollar gift card. Is that correct?

Hey there SBKLINE - I'm in the same boat as you. Disney in December and card coming in the mail. How did this end up working out for you? Could you get it filled at guest relations?

Any downsides to applying for the card that you didn't see coming (fees?)?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
It ended up working just fine. By the time we got to WDW, I had charged about $400 on the card, because I had 4 points in addition to the free 200 points, so I had $204 coming. You can't just redeem it at guest services, though. I had to do it at Downtown Disney at one of the Disney Visa Card stations. There is one over in the general viscinity of La Nouba and there is another one over by Rainforest Cafe. What I had to do was go up there and request a blank gift card, and then I had to call the 800 number on the back of my credit card and request that the points be credited to the blank gift card. I had to tell them the number or code or whatever on the back of the blank card, and then they credited my $204 to the card and I was using it within half hour or so. I hope this helps and I hope it is as easy for you as it was for me. We go every April and I'm hoping to have around $1000 on it by April 2013, to use on our 10 year anniversary trip. We're at around 510 right now, and I still have our April 2012 trip to charge it on.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Oh thanks for the reminder - I am four weeks out and forgot to request my rewards card (I just did). I only transferred $10 just in case it doesn't get here in time (although it should!) and I need to go to DTD and get the card there.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
Oh thanks for the reminder - I am four weeks out and forgot to request my rewards card (I just did). I only transferred $10 just in case it doesn't get here in time (although it should!) and I need to go to DTD and get the card there.

Hopefully it will get there in time, but if it doesn't, just keep in mind that you do not have to arrive at WDW with that rewards card in your hand. You can go to one of the Visa stations at DTD and they will give you a blank rewards card, and then you can call from your cell phone and transfer all your points onto that card, and be shopping with it in minutes. At least that's how it worked in April 2010 when I used mine.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Hopefully it will get there in time, but if it doesn't, just keep in mind that you do not have to arrive at WDW with that rewards card in your hand. You can go to one of the Visa stations at DTD and they will give you a blank rewards card, and then you can call from your cell phone and transfer all your points onto that card, and be shopping with it in minutes. At least that's how it worked in April 2010 when I used mine.

Thanks - I was thinking the same thing - that's why I figured I'd be better off transferring only $10 and the rest later rather than transferring the full $350 and having the card lost in the mail when we leave. It should get here but I am a totally paranoid freak when it comes to travel!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom