$200 gift card with Disney Visa Credit Card

sbkline

I have one credit card and only need one credit card, so normally when I see a credit card offer in my mailbox, it goes straight in the trash. But for some reason, I got one from Disney today and decided to open it...perhaps because I wanted to just make sure it was "junk mail" and not that $631 refund check I'm expecting as a result of dumping the $500 gift card deal in exchange for the 35% off deal. When I opened it, I see that they are offering a free 200 Disney rewards points with the first use of this credit card, which can be redeemed for a $200 gift card. So I figured what the heck, I'll sign up for the card, use it once, get a 200 dollar gift card to use at WDW in April, then chuck the credit card in the garbage. There was no mention of a minimum amount to purchase, so I'm guessing I can just use it for a $20 DVD at Walmart in order to qualify for the gift card.

Anyway, the question I have in regards to WDW is, can I redeem the points for the gift card at one of the WDW resorts? WDW and DisneyLand were specifically mentioned in the offer as to places where this gift card can be used...theme park tickets, dining, etc. So is there anyone here who has taken advantage of this offer who can verify whether or not they can issue this gift cart at WDW, or must I redeem it ahead of time and take to WDW with me?

Andrew54

You can spend it just like cash in the parks or at the resort. Your purchases will earn you points that you have to tranfer the points to a reward card then you just swipe in the parks like a gift card.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
You can spend it just like cash in the parks or at the resort. You have to tranfer the points to your card then you just swipe in the parks like a gift card.

So basically, once I transfer the points to the card, it basically amounts to a $200 credit? In other words, do I hand my credit card to the person behind the counter and he swipes the card like a normal purchase and all purchases just deduct from the $200 credit until the credit is used up? Is that how I am to understand that it works? If, for example, I buy a $250 item, I hand them my credit card, and I will only end up owing for $50 since the first $200 comes off of the credit?

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
hmm is this offer running for everyone. if it is ill sign up today and then book another trip to disney.. hmmm.

I think you have to receive an offer personally. The offer I received had an invitation number on it which I had to type in on the website when I logged in to sign up. I don't think you can just sign up for a card and receive this offer. I could be wrong, but I think it works more like the pin codes that WDW sends out. Only certain people get them and if you tell me you got one, that doesn't mean that I can call up and book a trip for myself under that offer.

Upvote 0

jeffk410

I believe they give you a different card. The Disney rewards cards. I used one on my last trip, but I am not sure since I can't find this deal anywhere.

Upvote 0

Andrew54

Yes that is correct you wil receieve at $200 disney gift card in the mail. The credit card actualy earns seperate points that can be transfered to a Rewards Card.

Upvote 0

Andrew54

I also received this offer in the mail for the $200 gift card, but I already have the credit card dang't. When i signed up it was a $50 gift card.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
Biggest problem now is whether I'll get it in time for our trip. We leave 53 days from today, so I hope I can get approved, get the card, use the card, and get the gift card all within 7 weeks so I can take it with us to WDW. :lol:

In the worst case scenario, if I don't get it in time, do these gift cards expire, or lose value over time? Can I hold onto it indefinitely for future trips to WDW?

Upvote 0

lilclerk

In the worst case scenario, if I don't get it in time, do these gift cards expire, or lose value over time? Can I hold onto it indefinitely for future trips to WDW?
If it's like a regular rewards points card, it'll have an expiration date. Mine are usually good for 1.5 - 2 years.

Upvote 0

Andrew54

I know that I held onto mine for about a two years before I used it. I want to say I got the card in Jan 08 and just spent the card our Dec 2009 trip. I FORGOT THE CARD @ HOME!! lol

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
I know that I held onto mine for about a two years before I used it. I want to say I got the card in Jan 08 and just spent the card our Dec 2009 trip. I FORGOT THE CARD @ HOME!! lol

Was it the same kind of card I'm talking about: sign up for the Disney Visa card and get 200 reward points that can be redeemed for a gift card?

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
Well, I've called and found out that I've been approved for the credit card and it's been mailed out already. Hopefully, I'll have it in another couple days. I've asked two different representatives of the credit card company on the phone about that Disney gift card, and both have told me the same thing; that I don't need to call and redeem the points. All I need to do is use the credit card the first time, and they automatically send out the $200 gift card. That's pretty good news if it's really that simple...and I should be able to have it in plenty of time to leave for WDW on April 18.

So far, it looks like I've saved almost $1000 dollars since initially booking a year ago: I originally took advantage of the $500 gift card offer, so there was a savings of $500.

Then, since we are staying 9 nights, I switched over from the gift card offer to the 35% off offer, which saved $631. However, $500 of that simply cancels out the $500 gift card, for a net svings of another $131.

Deciding that we would only possibly park hop on one, possibly two days, I decided that the parkhopper option wasn't worth the money. So, for $55 per person, and three of us going, I saved another $165 deleting off the parkhopper option.

And now, this $200 gift card.

So $631 + $165 + $200 = $996 saved, if I'm doing the math correctly! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

BoardwalkGlenn

I also got that $200 offer in the mail and signed up for it. I couldn't resist that!

I have already received my 1st statement and the 200 Disney Rewards Points were automatically put on there. When I'm ready, I think I call and have the points transferred to a Gift Card which is sent to me.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
I also got that $200 offer in the mail and signed up for it. I couldn't resist that!

I have already received my 1st statement and the 200 Disney Rewards Points were automatically put on there. When I'm ready, I think I call and have the points transferred to a Gift Card which is sent to me.

That's what I was wondering about, and the representatives on the phone both told me that the gift card is automatically sent, whereas I was under the impression that I may have to call and have the points transferred over to a gift card. If it's as you say it is, I hope I have time to get my card, use it, have the points transferred to a gift card and receive the card all in time for our trip. We leave 7 weeks from Sunday.:shrug:

But you're right...that offer is too good to resist. $200 just to sign up for a card that you only have to use once, and then chuck the card in the garbage if you want. Heck ya baby! LOL In looking over the fine print, I didn't see anything about a minimum amount of purchase, did you? Theoretically, I could use that credit card to buy a 50 cent pack of gum and still get the 200 bucks, am I correct? And in typing that sentence, I seem to have discovered that there is no cent sign available on my keypad. :lol:

Upvote 0

Dinardo

I received the same offer in the mail yesterday. I did read the terms of service and it did NOT say anything about a minimum purchase.

It is almost too good to be true. Now I can get the Monorail playset!

Just kidding - but we will use every cent.

Upvote 0

muteki

I have had the Disney Visa for a couple years now and it has always been great. End up having 100-200 dollars spending money each year at the parks just from my usual purchases. They even had a promotion last year where you could get 5x the points back (so 5%) and that helped a lot for our most recent trip.

As for the rewards card, it is a separate card from the credit card and it does expire every 2 years or so. When you earn points from your purchases they are held "in limbo" online until you choose to transfer them to the rewards card. That process is instant. Takes about a week to order the rewards card. Using it around the parks is pretty much identical to using a gift card, I haven't found anywhere that hasn't accepted it.

And the 0% APR (6 mo.) for trips is kinda nice too.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom