$180 per point? Really?

Unomas

That's interesting. We sometimes rent points for 5 night winter stays when we burn our own points on a long summer trip. Renting at Kidani cost us around $1,100 this past January, still more than our $800 in dues, and we got 8-9 nights in the summer. Granted this isn't taking the initial purchase into consideration, but we're still saving money over renting. As long as you're not buying in at Disney's direct prices of course.

Even when buying direct you'll save money long term. It might take a little longer to turn it around but it will get there.

Biff215

Even when buying direct you'll save money long term. It might take a little longer to turn it around but it will get there.
Even over renting points? Comparing DVC to rack rates seems to make sense but we all know that is unfair today. I can't see how paying $160-180 would save you much money when compared to renting. Of course it's impossible to predict what points will rent for in the future, just like rack rates. DVC prices have doubled in ten years which will make recouping that money much more difficult (and I still stay at the Poly with my "cheap" SSR points!).

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Even over renting points? Comparing DVC to rack rates seems to make sense but we all know that is unfair today. I can't see how paying $160-180 would save you much money when compared to renting. Of course it's impossible to predict what points will rent for in the future, just like rack rates. DVC prices have doubled in ten years which will make recouping that money much more difficult (and I still stay at the Poly with my "cheap" SSR points!).
So if you buy 200 points at SSR today at $140/point, your initial cost is $28,000. Dues this year run just over $1,000. If you calculate dues increase over the life of the contract (ends in 2054), you might pay $50,000 in dues. So TCO of $78,000, but you receive 7,600 points over the life of the contract, so your per point cost is approx. $10.20. Still cheaper than renting, and MUCH cheaper than paying cash for the room.

Using the Grand Floridian - 200 points at $180/point is $36,000 initial cost. Dues this year would be just over $1,100. There is 48 years left (expires in 2064), so dues might end up costing you approx. $70,000. So TCO there would be about $106,000. But you receive 9,600 points over the life of the contract, so per point cost is just over $11. Again, still cheaper than renting, and decent savings over any rack or discounted rate.

Ralphlaw

I tabulated slightly differently. In 2014 we bought 300 Boardwalk point at $79 per point, for a total of $23,700. Our maintenance fees have been about $1850 per year. There was 28 years left on the contract when we bought. This means maintenance fees will total about $51,800, assuming no increase. This also means our total outlay would be $75,500, or about $2,696 per year. Which is about $9 per point.

The average 1 bedroom villa stay is 45 points per night at Christmas, which is when we go due to school schedules. This means we're paying about $405 per night for our 1 bedroom standard view villa at Christmas. I don't know if that is a tremendous bargain, but it does put the money into perspective. Rack rates for a standard hotel room at Boardwalk for that same time are about $650 per night, or $250 more than what I'm paying.

This also assumes no drastic increases in maintenance fees, and that I will hold onto the points until they expire in 2042. If I sell early, especially if I get at least $846 per every remaining year on the contract ($23,700 divided by 28 years = $846), I come out further ahead. I also know that rack rates for normal hotel rooms will likely go up in the future (but so will maintenance fees). Right now, fees at the Boardwalk are very high due to some remodeling. Hopefully they'll go down long-term.

As a practical matter, Boardwalk points are selling for $100 per point, which means I could sell for $30,000 right now (minus a 10% commission). Yeah, it's looking pretty good right now.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I tabulated slightly differently. In 2014 we bought 300 Boardwalk point at $79 per point, for a total of $23,700. Our maintenance fees have been about $1850 per year. There was 28 years left on the contract when we bought. This means maintenance fees will total about $51,800, assuming no increase. This also means our total outlay would be $75,500, or about $2,696 per year. Which is about $9 per point.

The average 1 bedroom villa stay is 45 points per night at Christmas, which is when we go due to school schedules. This means we're paying about $405 per night for our 1 bedroom standard view villa at Christmas. I don't know if that is a tremendous bargain, but it does put the money into perspective. Rack rates for a standard hotel room at Boardwalk for that same time are about $650 per night, or $250 more than what I'm paying.

This also assumes no drastic increases in maintenance fees, and that I will hold onto the points until they expire in 2042. If I sell early, especially if I get at least $846 per every remaining year on the contract ($23,700 divided by 28 years = $846), I come out further ahead. I also know that rack rates for normal hotel rooms will likely go up in the future (but so will maintenance fees). Right now, fees at the Boardwalk are very high due to some remodeling. Hopefully they'll go down long-term.

As a practical matter, Boardwalk points are selling for $100 per point, which means I could sell for $30,000 right now (minus a 10% commission). Yeah, it's looking pretty good right now.
Well, considering a 1 bdr standard view the week of Dec 17 - Dec 23 is $745/night, you are getting a nice discount!

Edit to add: the week of Christmas, a 1 bedroom is $844 per night. So you get better than a 50% discount.

Please remember everyone that Disney does not discount the 1, 2 or 3 bedroom villas. Only the studios are ever discounted.

Biff215

So if you buy 200 points at SSR today at $140/point, your initial cost is $28,000. Dues this year run just over $1,000. If you calculate dues increase over the life of the contract (ends in 2054), you might pay $50,000 in dues. So TCO of $78,000, but you receive 7,600 points over the life of the contract, so your per point cost is approx. $10.20. Still cheaper than renting, and MUCH cheaper than paying cash for the room.

Using the Grand Floridian - 200 points at $180/point is $36,000 initial cost. Dues this year would be just over $1,100. There is 48 years left (expires in 2064), so dues might end up costing you approx. $70,000. So TCO there would be about $106,000. But you receive 9,600 points over the life of the contract, so per point cost is just over $11. Again, still cheaper than renting, and decent savings over any rack or discounted rate.
Thanks for those calculations, definitely puts it in perspective, and makes me feel even better about the 175 points I bought at SSR ten years ago for $86/point. The gap in savings is certainly starting to close as the direct price per point skyrockets. I'm not sure I'd buy in today direct, but resale is a no-brainer when looking at these numbers.

Minthorne

Thanks for those calculations, definitely puts it in perspective, and makes me feel even better about the 175 points I bought at SSR ten years ago for $86/point. The gap in savings is certainly starting to close as the direct price per point skyrockets. I'm not sure I'd buy in today direct, but resale is a no-brainer when looking at these numbers.

Gee, I kinda feel good about my 160 points at SSR i got in 2014 at $76 a point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom