$180 per point? Really?

dreamfinder

Yikes. Interesting to see how they aren't raising the prices on Poly. I had heard they were raising the prices on the "sold out" properties, but $180 for GFV is a bit steep.

Phonedave

I don't see how they can keep rasing prices.

The value of a contract is going down (they all still have the same expiration year). So if you buy a contract today, you are getting less out of it than if you bought it 5 years ago.

Unless inflation is outstripping the loss in value of the contract, but still $180 a point. That's some crazy inflation.

-dave

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I don't see how they can keep rasing prices.

The value of a contract is going down (they all still have the same expiration year). So if you buy a contract today, you are getting less out of it than if you bought it 5 years ago.

Unless inflation is outstripping the loss in value of the contract, but still $180 a point. That's some crazy inflation.

-dave

Makes no sense from a consumer point of view. That's for sure.

I guess the demand is there though?

rob0519

$160 - $182 a point is the Universe's way of telling people they have too much money. Seriously, with the declining service and offerings in the parks and the increases in maintenance fees, I have no idea why anyone would still buy DVC. I'm sure there will be lots of people that disagree and think DVC is still a good value.

ToTBellHop

$160 - $182 a point is the Universe's way of telling people they have too much money. Seriously, with the declining service and offerings in the parks and the increases in maintenance fees, I have no idea why anyone would still buy DVC. I'm sure there will be lots of people that disagree and think DVC is still a good value.
Everyone has to do their own math. For us, VWL resale was a tremendous value. But YMMV.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Resale can def be a good value. Direct from Disney, not so much.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The resale market probably appreciates it.

Was there any justification for the increase? Did shuffling papers from one room to another suddenly start costing DVD more or are we blaming this on Disneyland China too?
I doubt this has anything to do with China, but I'm sure you are right that someone will try to say it does:rolleyes:.

The price will go up as long as there are people willing to buy at the higher price. If anything the booming resale market is probably actually driving the direct prices up. Disney could exercise ROFR and buy points dirt cheap a few years ago but with resale prices steadily rising they are actually paying a lot more to buy points back now. Obviously they are still reselling them for a huge profit, but if they want to keep the profit margins the same they have to charge more for the "sold out" resorts.

What's interesting to me is that the prices for both resale and direct keep rising on the older "2042" resorts as the contracts get closer and closer to expiring. If all other market factors are held constant we should see the prices steadily declining down to $0 as we approach the end of the contracts. I am curious to see when we hit the tipping point on number of years remaining before the prices start to drop more dramatically. I am assuming 26 years remaining is still long enough that people assume they can at least break even before the contracts expire, but with the rising prices it's not going to be long before the math just doesn't work even for resale. I'm pretty sure the math on direct purchases is already "fuzzy" at best.

riess424

I doubt this has anything to do with China, but I'm sure you are right that someone will try to say it does:rolleyes:.

The price will go up as long as there are people willing to buy at the higher price. If anything the booming resale market is probably actually driving the direct prices up. Disney could exercise ROFR and buy points dirt cheap a few years ago but with resale prices steadily rising they are actually paying a lot more to buy points back now. Obviously they are still reselling them for a huge profit, but if they want to keep the profit margins the same they have to charge more for the "sold out" resorts.

What's interesting to me is that the prices for both resale and direct keep rising on the older "2042" resorts as the contracts get closer and closer to expiring. If all other market factors are held constant we should see the prices steadily declining down to $0 as we approach the end of the contracts. I am curious to see when we hit the tipping point on number of years remaining before the prices start to drop more dramatically. I am assuming 26 years remaining is still long enough that people assume they can at least break even before the contracts expire, but with the rising prices it's not going to be long before the math just doesn't work even for resale. I'm pretty sure the math on direct purchases is already "fuzzy" at best.

Interesting, I always assumed that the $ per point decreased each year you got closer to contract expiration. Continues to make what my family paid for Boardwalk back in 1999 a great deal.

wdwfan100

I agree. It's not like Disney is raising the level of service and amenities. Instead they continue to stagnate or decline. It takes years for them to build anything new. I would not enter a DVC contract today. Your dollars will go,so much further in many other wonderful destinations. The sad thing is the company leadership has no clue what made WDW special. They only know how to cut costs and raise prices.

Garfield

All I can say is crazy! I bought into DVC nearly 9 years ago now. I did so with the belief the value would decrease as years have gone by, but in reality it has appreciated. I know this won't last forever, but at this moment in time contracts are reselling for more than our initial purchase, averaging around $4 per point. When I look at my add on contracts we bought as resells, some have appreciated as much as $25 per point!

JWG

Insanity. If I were in the market now, I'd go Wyndham or Marriott and forego any thought of DVC. What you get for what you pay just isn't there.

EOD K9

Insanity. If I were in the market now, I'd go Wyndham or Marriott and forego any thought of DVC. What you get for what you pay just isn't there.
I believe that I am ahead of the game and past the break even point. If I continue to rent my points out, I am still on top. But I hear what you are saying.

DisneyFans4Life

My wife and I almost bought into the DVC over the summer, but if you can't afford to fork over the full price in one lump sum...they charge you over 10% interest to finance...and that's with perfect credit!! We then talked about saving for a few years and buying outright, but they want to charge upwards of $1k a year just in maintenance fees. So what initially would be spending about $25-$30k would end up being another $50k on top of that just in maintenance fees.

Sorry...I just don't see how that can be a value by anyone. We will stick to booking our hotels through a CM.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
My wife and I almost bought into the DVC over the summer, but if you can't afford to fork over the full price in one lump sum...they charge you over 10% interest to finance...and that's with perfect credit!! We then talked about saving for a few years and buying outright, but they want to charge upwards of $1k a year just in maintenance fees. So what initially would be spending about $25-$30k would end up being another $50k on top of that just in maintenance fees.

Sorry...I just don't see how that can be a value by anyone. We will stick to booking our hotels through a CM.
So you'd rather spend 300k - 400k instead of 80k. Interesting. Disney loves you!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom