Waterfront District "Hyperion Wharf" Set to be added to Pleasure Island

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Details and concept art here: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...perion-wharf-among-plans-for-downtown-disney/

If this ends up looking like the concept art, it certainly will be easier for me to forget the loss of Adventurer’s Club. I’m sure others will still moan and complain about it; I understand the Club was great—I loved it—but things could certainly be a lot worse here. This certainly looks like a step in the right direction to me. But I suppose there will always be those fixated on the negatives.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The architecture looks great but what they fill those buildings with will be the key. I have high hopes for the place I just hope that the restaurants are more like Raglan rd than Paridiso 37.

hpyhnt 1000

Well, its about time! :hammer:If they actually follow through on this, it should look pretty nice and finally breathe life back into DTD.

JustInTime

Wow! This looks perfect! And it seems as if they are going to keep the Districts after all! Great news day! This was unexpected and Disney didn't even hype up the announcement.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
They still offer no specifics about exactly what is gonna be on the island. A bunch of lights...ok well that doesn't mean there is anything worth doing.

Krack

And its diverse eateries will expand dining availability at Downtown Disney by more than 25 percent.

Somebody do the math. How many "eateries" are in DTD right now? Looks like this area will get 1/4th+1.

PKD

Well, its about time! :hammer:If they actually follow through on this, it should look pretty nice and finally breathe life back into DTD.

Again, with all planned that Raven and I have have seen/hinted at, life will be put back into this section of Downtown Disney. I dare say the Waterfront will be as busy as the Market Place and busier than West Side.

Glad they have finally announced the project, though the last minute name change is interesting, but a nice touch!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Very nice to see a solid plan on this, and even better to see that as well as new locations, they have new Imagineering of the actual space. Nice work Disney, very much looking forward to seeing it all!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Again, with all planned that Raven and I have have seen/hinted at, life will be put back into this section of Downtown Disney. I dare say the Waterfront will be as busy as the Market Place and busier than West Side.

Glad they have finally announced the project, though the last minute name change is interesting, but a nice touch!

Can you share what the previous name was?

redshoesrock

>>Along with the new wharf district, other projects are underway at Downtown Disney, including:

• An extensive renovation of Lego Imagination Center, which will increase its overall footprint by nearly 3,500 square-feet and add new Lego exterior models featuring scenes from classic Disney movies.
  • Enhancements at AMC Theatres that will take the movie-going experience at Downtown Disney to the next level with new digital technology, a Concession Stand of the Future and Florida’s first Fork & Screen Theater<<
I guess that settles the question of, "What will happen to the DTD Lego store when Legoland opens?" I'm also very excited about the enhancements to the AMC - I've been to the Alamo Drafthouse and the experience of having a full meal while watching a movie is *very* cool.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Nice. I like the concept art, and the concept of the "waterfront district". Again, as has been said, as long as they put in quality 3rd party establishments, this place could be a very fun place to be at night.

lebeau

Pretty art. Hopefully the execution lives up to it.

At least it's good to know something is finally happening!

JustInTime

The concept reminds me of Paradise Pier in DCA! It would be cool if we got a water/light show. Those Amphitheater style steps would be perfect for a crowd to stand on to watch it too! I doubt it will be World of Color but since they are playing up the "light" thing, I bet anything we get some kind of show.

Testtrack321

I like the look and feel of the place, I just will hold my breath to see what new restaurants/shops they will be adding. I want more specialty, no more "generic." More Raglan, less T-Rex Cafe.

PKD

The concept reminds me of Paradise Pier in DCA! It would be cool if we got a water/light show. Those Amphitheater style steps would be perfect for a crowd to stand on to watch it too! I doubt it will be World of Color but since they are playing up the "light" thing, I bet anything we get some kind of show.

If you look closely at one of the concept art pictures... you should be able to pick out at least one of the "show" aspects that's currently planned.

devoy1701

If only TDO had timed this better! PI has been closed for almost 3 years now and it looks like construction is going to take about 2.5 yrs or so being ready in 2013. If they hadn't closed down PI so hap-hazardly and had actually been developing the plan then instead of during the past 2-3 years, this Hyperion Wharf would have been ready for the 40th!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Somebody do the math. How many "eateries" are in DTD right now? Looks like this area will get 1/4th+1.
Right off of the top of my head I think there are 14-15 if you include the West Side and quick service so figure 4 to 5 new eateries.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom