Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

Mr.Diamond

Original Poster
Disney to pay about 4 Billion in cash and stock. More info to come, this just broke, but the possibilities and implications are endless.

This kind of boggles the mind...

GothMickey

Disney to pay about 4 Billion in cash and stock. More info to come, this just broke, but the possibilities and implications are endless.

This kind of boggles the mind...

Now, one has to wonder what this does for Marvel Island in IOA. And the Spiderman ride in the theme park. Since Disney will now own Marvel, I doubt they will let Universal continue to use the characters. Maybe this is one of those news stories that we have to wait and see what it all entails.

But, yes, I am already can imagine the possibilities. Fifth theme park LOL.

Mr.Diamond

Original Poster
Iger just specifically mentioned using the Marvel characters at SOME Disney theme parks (restrictions due to current agreements), but the message is clear that he sees this as a significant asset to the theme park division of Disney.

retroeric

Now, one has to wonder what this does for Marvel Island in IOA. And the Spiderman ride in the theme park. Since Disney will now own Marvel, I doubt they will let Universal continue to use the characters. Maybe this is one of those news stories that we have to wait and see what it all entails.

But, yes, I am already can imagine the possibilities. Fifth theme park LOL.

There could be prexisting contractual stuff that would allow Universal to keep their stuff in the parks, ala Disney with some of their MGM stuff.

Mr.Diamond

Original Poster
From the AP at 9:12 am

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The Walt Disney Co. says it is acquiring Marvel Entertainment Inc. for $4 billion in cash and stock, bringing characters like Iron Man and Spider-Man into the Disney family.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters.

Disney said Monday that Marvel shareholders will receive $30 per share in cash plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share they own.

It said the boards of Disney and Marvel have both approved the transaction, but it requires an antitrust review and the approval of Marvel shareholders.

Ausdaddy

Iger did mention short term contracts.When they expire a decision will be made.

I can't imagine what that decision might be. :D

Disney said Monday that Marvel shareholders will receive $30 per share in cash plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share they own.

It said the boards of Disney and Marvel have both approved the transaction, but it requires an antitrust review and the approval of Marvel shareholders.

Good deal for shareholders.

Matpez

yep just heard this as well. First thought- what happens with IOA's Marvel Super Hero Island??

I assume nothing will happen to the Island as that deal is done, however I don't know all the contract terms. The may be a renewal at some point, or some continued license fee that Uni pays. Either way though, I think Uni is safe, but I suppose Disney could also develop future Marvel attractions.
Overall though, studios make deals, WB owns Potter and CBS owns Twilight Zone.

WDW Vacationer

I assume nothing will happen to the Island as that deal is done, however I don't know all the contract terms. The may be a renewal at some point, or some continued license fee that Uni pays. Either way though, I think Uni is safe, but I suppose Disney could also develop future Marvel attractions.
Overall though, studios make deals, WB owns Potter and CBS owns Twilight Zone.
Iger said "There are short term contracts,when those expire we will see what happens."

Ausdaddy

I can see it already. Marvel Superhero Weekend at DHS!!! Get your special edition figs and tees featuring "Spider-Mickey"! It's coming. Believe it. :lookaroun

durangojim

I'd be fine with it at DHS as well but no where else in the World. Any guesses on how long it will take to get Marvel merchandise in the parks? Also it will be interesting to see if Universal stops the Marvel merchandising in their stores at the Orlando Airport, although I'm guessing there's some contract that says they can continue to use the characters for current attractions and merchandise no mattter who owns the company.

WDWFigment

Good deal for shareholders.

...the Marvel shareholders. I'm sure Disney's stock will invariably take a hit from this (not as if this a bad thing in the long term; the stock of the acquiror almost always takes a hit in stock-sale acquisitions). All-in-all, though, it sounds like a great long term move for Disney. Let's just hope the best days for the superhero film franchises are not behind them.

HMF

Iger said "There are short term contracts,when those expire we will see what happens."
From a smart business standpoint it would not make sense to allow your direct theme park competition to continue to use your characters so I would be surprised if the contract with Universal gets renewed. Though I think they might want to re-theme the Hulk. That being said I don't understand Disney's real need for Marvel in the first place. Sometimes I think Disney is too big for it's own good.

WishIwasThere

I doubt anyone would have seen this coming...:dazzle:

Very interesting times...possiblilities are endless. With the string of Mavel movie hits recently, Iron Man and Hulk, and the development of the movies in the current pipline, (Marvel making the movies and other studios only distributing them, like RKO did for Disney all those years ago.) I think Iger was looking at these over the possibilities of park rides. Marvel lost a ton to Sony by selling the rights to them. So they learned their lesson and kept the characters themselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom