“Well I’ll be… it’s the Blue Fairy!”

JediMasterMatt

Original Poster
Greetings everyone, this is my first new post on this site although I’ve been a long time lurker. This site is one of two that have factored heavily in my wife and me planning several Disney vacations and staying on top of the latest news. I’ve finally felt like it was time to give back something to the community that has helped us so much.

I’ve got a bit of a confession. I LOVE WISHES! It’s no joke. I’m a 36 year old man who’s not ashamed to admit that a night standing in front of an illuminated multi-color concrete and steel castle while fireworks are popping over the top of classic Disney songs and characters speaking completely pulls my heartstrings and reduces me to a timeless child. The whole show is a 12 minute escape into the heart and soul of what makes Disney so special.

In preparing for Disney vacations, I would see many of the wonderful fireworks pictures that others would post and thought – what the heck, why don’t you take a try at capturing a few images. All it takes is a bit of preparation combined with the proper equipment and you can get really good results.

The problem was that I’m a bit of a perfectionist and I wasn’t just trying to get a “good result”. I wanted to get the perfect picture.

I started taking a tripod to the park with me and quickly found that although I like fireworks pictures, it was really Cinderella’s castle that is the star of the show. To me at least, the fireworks are always the “garnish” on top of the Castle in my pictures.

Although I love Wishes!, there are a couple of moments in the show that always move me. One of those moments is without a doubt the crowd pleasing “Arrival” of the Blue Fairy. Right after the dark forces have been lifted from the Castle and it fades from red and purple and goes to blue as Jiminy Cricket utters – “Well I’ll be… it’s the Blue Fairy”. I wanted to get this moment frozen in time.

The question was, what is it that I wanted to capture? I certainly liked the peacock feather like effect that shoots from behind the castle and I also liked the big blue bursts that immediately follow this moment. As I would take pictures in the park, some of the PhotoPass photographers and I would talk about fireworks photos and they would tell me that the Blue Fairy shot is the best one to get. I would ask them, which moment is that – the peacock feathers or the blue bursts? Pretty much all of them would say the feathers were the fairy. I couldn’t decide which photo I liked best, so then it dawned on me – why not get both in the same frame? This then became a quest for that “perfect” photo that lasted over five different vacations and at least ten attempts to photograph Wishes!

You see, fireworks photos are very temperamental. Wind can blow the bursts off target. At the Magic Kingdom, it’s even worse because you then can have wind blow smoke back in front of the Castle. You can also have misfires that can cause you to miss the one shot you are trying to capture. Crowds are another issue that can cause a problem as someone can block your view.

After all my efforts, the very last night of our last visit resulted in my quest for that perfect picture getting close enough that I can be satisfied with the results. This is my version of the Blue Fairy’s arrival:

http://picasaweb.google.com/JediMasterMatt1972/DisneyJanuary2008Part2/photo#5222336920386822274
*sorry Picasa embedded pictures don’t seem to work.

It’s not “perfect”. One of the fireworks on the left veered off path and a child is on her dad’s shoulders, otherwise blocking Mickey’s silhouette in the Partner’s statue. So, it’s not perfect. But, it’s close enough and besides – the fact that it’s not perfect is going to keep me trying again, and to get to watch that wonderful show many more times is a real wish come true.

Have any of you ever been obsessed in trying to get a perfect Disney moment captured on film?

828tnt

I’m a 36 year old man who’s not ashamed to admit that a night standing in front of an illuminated multi-color concrete and steel castle while fireworks are popping over the top of classic Disney songs and characters speaking completely pulls my heartstrings and reduces me to a timeless child. The whole show is a 12 minute escape into the heart and soul of what makes Disney so special.

i'm hearing voices.....:veryconfu

no, seriously! you may have just nailed a personality trait that has existed in men for years! especially those who are straight.....and afraid to deal with emotion. lol!:lol::lol::lol:

i'm known to be a bit of a hardass, but i'm such a wuss in wdw. especially wishes, fantasmic, spectro, or illuminations! i can't help it, i have such an emotional connection. i am ......" a timeless child......."

thank you for that phrase!.

ChuckFromCanada

Parrothead & Disney Fanatic.
Very nice pics,is your camera an Evolt? Also where did you get the shots of the castle from wayyy up high, I'm guessing the Contemp.

Dabeast

Your not alone

Yes, I admit it, I get pretty "goose bumpy" to when the Blue Fairy shows up to save us all....if you'd like to torture yourself year round, buy the "Wishes" cd and listen to it almost every day, like I do on the way to work...kinda gives me something to look forward to...ya know,...go to work , work more OT so I can go to Disney every year. It's a viscious cycle...great pictures!!

scpergj

Greetings everyone, this is my first new post on this site although I’ve been a long time lurker. This site is one of two that have factored heavily in my wife and me planning several Disney vacations and staying on top of the latest news. I’ve finally felt like it was time to give back something to the community that has helped us so much.

I’ve got a bit of a confession. I LOVE WISHES! It’s no joke. I’m a 36 year old man who’s not ashamed to admit that a night standing in front of an illuminated multi-color concrete and steel castle while fireworks are popping over the top of classic Disney songs and characters speaking completely pulls my heartstrings and reduces me to a timeless child. The whole show is a 12 minute escape into the heart and soul of what makes Disney so special.

The problem was that I’m a bit of a perfectionist and I wasn’t just trying to get a “good result”. I wanted to get the perfect picture.

Although I love Wishes!, there are a couple of moments in the show that always move me. One of those moments is without a doubt the crowd pleasing “Arrival” of the Blue Fairy. Right after the dark forces have been lifted from the Castle and it fades from red and purple and goes to blue as Jiminy Cricket utters – “Well I’ll be… it’s the Blue Fairy”. I wanted to get this moment frozen in time.

You see, fireworks photos are very temperamental. Wind can blow the bursts off target. At the Magic Kingdom, it’s even worse because you then can have wind blow smoke back in front of the Castle. You can also have misfires that can cause you to miss the one shot you are trying to capture. Crowds are another issue that can cause a problem as someone can block your view.

After all my efforts, the very last night of our last visit resulted in my quest for that perfect picture getting close enough that I can be satisfied with the results. This is my version of the Blue Fairy’s arrival:

It’s not “perfect”. One of the fireworks on the left veered off path and a child is on her dad’s shoulders, otherwise blocking Mickey’s silhouette in the Partner’s statue. So, it’s not perfect. But, it’s close enough and besides – the fact that it’s not perfect is going to keep me trying again, and to get to watch that wonderful show many more times is a real wish come true.

Have any of you ever been obsessed in trying to get a perfect Disney moment captured on film?

First, I've cut a few pieces from your original post - just to use them...I only removed them to keep this a bit short...

I've just turned 40, and Wishes does the same for me. The first time I saw it was just a few months after my dad died, and it just brought tears to my eyes, watching Wishes with my then 2 year old daughter on my lap. Add to that the emotional ties I have to Pinocchio (I played him as a 4th grader in our school play) and it really speaks to me.

On to the photographic part...sounds just like me! I started shooting digital with a Sony 3.1 megapixel point and shoot...not good enough! I was used to shooting 35mm film...so, next time, that's what I did! Not good enough...my camera was a bit old (well...it's as old as me), and I had never really learned to shoot night with it anyway. Advance a couple of years to last October, when I got my new toy...a Nikon D80 DSLR. We took trips in October and two more in December...then another in January. I must say we are semi-local and have ap's, and only stayed on property two of those trips, so cost wasn't too bad. For each of those trips, I shot at least 800 pictures, trying to capture the perfect shot! I have a few that I'm very proud of...but I still have yet to capture that perfect Wishes shot - but I don't carry a tripod into the parks, which would really help, I'm sure. I've posted a few decent pictures here in the past, and when I have a couple of minutes, I'll post a couple here to share, too.

Someone else said something about us guys and WDW, and I think they were right...it allows us to bring out our inner child - drop our guard - and if you have a wife and kids like mine that love WDW, then all is right with the world!

Nice picture - I bet you could fix the lean with Photoshop - I've found it's my best friend when I need to straighten out a picture!

Kevin

WDWFigment

The pictures are great, but which picture number in particular is the "blue fairy" one? When I click the link, it takes me to the first picture.

Welcome to the wonderful world of posting! :wave:

dmbouton75

You need to seriously consider becoming a professional photograher!

Your picture album is full of Disney perfection.

Thank you for sharing.

~Dawn~

dixiegirl

Question for ya, What are your settings for taking pics at nite or even in general? I'm at my wits end with my camera..absolutly hate it...Its a canon powershot SD750...Takes great close up pics and outdoor day lite pics...Nite time and other ...Horrible.....I use to have a Fuji finepix A360 took great pics..Till it died....But your pictures are gorgeous!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom