“Well I’ll be… it’s the Blue Fairy!”

DiPSU224

Beautiful pictures! I would love to (and I'm sure some other would as well) use it for my desktop background if that's ok. One day I hope to be able to take a trip by myself and just take pictures with a great camera.

The Blue Fairy part of Wishes holds a special place in my heart as well. When she tells everyone to put their hearts together to make a wish come true, my now husband dropped to his knee and proposed. Now, I can't make it through the end of wishes without a tear.

Thanks again for some beautiful pics!

BrennaRN

I too wish I could capture the perfect picture. I need to start taking my tripod on my trips. i have 2 coming up. Your feelings are mutual among many of us here. Thank you so much for sharing. Welcome to the boards. Your picture is absolutely spectacular!

bgoebel

Great Pictures. You have a great and different photo perspective (taking pics at a different angle) that really makes your pictures interesting. THanks for sharing. Now I have more ideas for when we go back in December:xmas:

Disneykidder

Wow!! I have been looking for a camera that would take great night shots/firework shots. I just bought one a few days ago. I bope it looks like yours because they are amazing!! The first one could be on a map or brochure!!:)

Oh...and with great contributions like this...keep em' coming!!

dandaman

Great googly moogly, that is one impressive photograph.

I'm pretty much the same way... my fireworks pictures always turn out like crap (though if I had available space to rest my tripod at the front of a crowd, they wouldn't). These days I find capturing those moments as great as the vacation itself. :lol:

P.S. I like pictures of scenes more than anything... people don't interest me. Every vacation it's like, "Here I am standing in front of here... now it's here..." Would we not have believed you otherwise? I'd rather capture the setting than prove someone stood on a spot next to something. ;)

Timekeeper

...the fact that it’s not perfect is going to keep me trying again, and to get to watch that wonderful show many more times is a real wish come true.

Try shooting with a wide/super-wide angle lens, as to prevent cropping out the full starbursts and light trails in the sky. This is particularly helpful if you are standing closer to the castle. The instinct may be to fill the frame with the castle, but to help reflect the tremendous scale of Wishes and showcase the fireworks, don't be afraid to scale down the castle a little bit. (You can always crop in tighter in post, but you can never go back wider.)

Also, a neutral density filter may help you keep the fireworks from overexposure. And if your camera has a "bulb" setting, that may help you avoid the "misfires" that you mentioned.

Tk

JediMasterMatt

Original Poster
Try shooting with a wide/super-wide angle lens, as to prevent cropping out the full starbursts and light trails in the sky. This is particularly helpful if you are standing closer to the castle. The instinct may be to fill the frame with the castle, but to help reflect the tremendous scale of Wishes and showcase the fireworks, don't be afraid to scale down the castle a little bit. (You can always crop in tighter in post, but you can never go back wider.)

Also, a neutral density filter may help you keep the fireworks from overexposure. And if your camera has a "bulb" setting, that may help you avoid the "misfires" that you mentioned.

Tk

Thanks for the suggestions. I've messed around with shifting to wider angles and haven't liked the effect. I prefer pictures of the Castle with fireworks instead of pictures of fireworks that also have a Castle in them. If that makes any sense.

It took some time for me to find the "perfect" spot for me to go after this picture. Basically, you need to find a distance far enough back from the Castle to get the point where the high bursts go off just at the spires. Too far back and they go out of frame. Too close and they don't clear the Castle. Just like Goldilocks, it took a few shows to find the sweet spot.

My Olympus has a 4/3 sensor, so I end up getting a bit more crop on the sides than I would normally like. When I pick up my new Nikon D700 full frame camera, I should be all set. :)

I'll definately need to either stop down the camera if I get serious about getting a few of the "brighter" moments of the show (like the finale).

The next picture I want to get perfect is the REALLY large bursts that go off towards the end with the full chorus of When You Wish Upon a Star. To get that, I need MUCH faster shutter speeds. I can't get serious about it until I get a much more sensitive camera because the Olympus is just too noisy at high ISO.

JediMasterMatt

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the kind words. I did put a lot of effort into getting this one picture; but, it was all a labor of love. There were a lot of "awe shucks" moments where I missed the picture I wanted and had to take one for the team and catch another Wishes showing the next night.

I did get several people asking if they could use this for a wallpaper and you most certainly can. As a matter of fact, I'm happy to put up high resolutions of this and any other photos you'd like.

Here's a link to a very large version (1920x1440, 2.56mb) that can be used: http://lh5.ggpht.com/JediMasterMatt...AACoQ/supVm1pSqbs/Blue_Fairy_1920.jpg?imgdl=1

Simply take that into any image editor and resize it as needed.

Let me know if you'd like any others!

EpcotServo

Welcome! Great picture....now behold the beauty of my Fireworks pictures!

picture.php

:ROFLOL:

Timekeeper

Sounds good to me. Have you played with various distancing/zooming combinations? In other words, standing close to the castle with a wide zoom, as opposed to standing far from the castle with a longer zoom? The castle would fill the same amount of frame, but the size of the fireworks in the background would be different. (In film, this change in foreground/background ratio - while keeping the foreground object the same size - is called a dolly zoom, or "Hitchcock zoom.") I wonder what the "better" position would be with respect to the castle...

JediMasterMatt

Original Poster
Sounds good to me. Have you played with various distancing/zooming combinations? In other words, standing close to the castle with a wide zoom, as opposed to standing far from the castle with a longer zoom? The castle would fill the same amount of frame, but the size of the fireworks in the background would be different. (In film, this change in foreground/background ratio - while keeping the foreground object the same size - is called a dolly zoom, or "Hitchcock zoom.") I wonder what the "better" position would be with respect to the castle...

Timekeeper - I have tried moving back and the problem I had was trying to keep the spires of the castle as close to the top of frame as possible. If you move too far back and zoom, the high bursts do become larger; but, also change in height in relation to the Castle. My goal was to get the "Blue Fairy" burst to go directly at the the top of the highest spire and centered. Oh, and I only really wanted the single burst for it too to sell the idea of the Blue Fairy at bit more.

EpcotServo - that picture is a thing of beauty. Crow T. Robot would be proud. You should use it for the next Invention Exchange.

Just a little housekeeping and responding to some of the earlier questions:

chuckie - Yes, that is an Evolt E300. Not a bad camera for a beginners digital SLR. I've recently picked up an E-510 for cheap that I'm not sure if I like better. I will eventually switch to either Nikon or Cannon for a full frame sensor camera that can shoot really high ISO with little noise. Perfect for taking those ride pictures. Yes, those pictures were from atop the Contemporary at the California Grill's observation deck.

dmbouton75 - I'm not a professional photographer, although, my wife keeps telling me to start shooting. I just don't know if I'd like to do that because if you start doing something you like for money, it may take some of the fun out of it.

dixiegirl - Night pictures are actually pretty easy. I find properly exposed daylight pictures to be far more challenging as you really have to combat the ever changing sun and shadows you get. You must have a tripod and simply need to set up for long exposures at a high f/stop. For example, my camera has a sweet spot at around f8-f12. I simply set it up in manual mode and the aperature, then adjust the exposure length to pic up the right number of light. Then I take the picture into Adobe's Lightroom to tweak it. The pics at Hollywood Studios were hard to get with all the neon. They would blow out easily and took a lot of tweaking to get right.

EpcotServo

EpcotServo - that picture is a thing of beauty. Crow T. Robot would be proud. You should use it for the next Invention Exchange.

Great to welcome another MSTie to the boards! I'll let our own Tom Servo make the opening remarks....

(Minute 1:21 to 3:15)

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZytMCgEmtMY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src=http://www.youtube.com/v/ZytMCgEmtMY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom