Monorail Accident

PhotoDave219

Do we know this? According to the eyewitness report at examiner.com:

"They tried to run to get people out of the front of the crashed train. They saw a family make it out, but the driver..."

This would indicate that there was a family in the front.

We don't know that for sure. There's no need to speculate about details like that.

PhotoDave219

Agreed. Two posters have said that there was no one else up front, but I don't know how they know this.

Based on those latest photos thats several posts above, i doubt there was any guests in the cab.

Ive heard (from good sources) that the driver had to be extricated.

Rinx

It was on Epcot.

The trains were towed because different pictures show them at different places. They moved the trains into Concourse. The primary holdpoint into Concourse is 209 which is right over Sleepy.

I never heard of the MAPO system failing like that and neither have the guys who have been there for 20 years.

The primary holdpoint is actually 379 which is where you said. As far as the MAPO system failing, I've never heard of that either. They must've been in override to 385 and perhaps purple was deadheading and getting ready to switch off. If it was a MAPO failure then it's ironic because they got rid of second checks about two months ago.

tigsmom

Maybe this is stating the obvious, but it sounds as though he passed out at the controls; maybe fell asleep or heart attack, etc.

My condolences to the family of the CM and sympathy to his co-workers who must be devastated this morning.

My thoughts exactly. I can only imagine what everyone is going thru :(

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
WOW. you would have to think some sort of malfunction possibly. I just cant imagine that you dont see a train in front of you in the TTC. Maybe on the Epcot line in some of the dark spots... but wow.

The primary holdpoint is actually 379 which is where you said. As far as the MAPO system failing, I've never heard of that either. They must've been in override to 385 and perhaps purple was deadheading and getting ready to switch off. If it was a MAPO failure then it's ironic because they got rid of second checks about two months ago.
That wouldnt be good.

donsullivan

Premium Member
From the Epcot beam, the switch is on the other side of World Drive just as you finish the right turn and head south toward Epcot.

LAPVLB

My thoughts exactly. A source tells me nothing further has been released to GSMs in the park; managers know what we know.

My sympathies to my monorail friends and family, and all of the other fellow CMs affected by this. There's a great chance I knew this driver, and I know they will be missed by all.

joel_maxwell

What about track switching? Where's the switch to the express loop in relationship to the station?
Time to call up the satellite.

I have a question. On one of the news reports from Orlando, Liz Artz was the anchor woman in the studio (ironically she use to be in Bham), said they have found on Twitter that someone blogged a 9pm report of a monorail reporting that it was having "mechanical hiccups" (I think that is the right word that was used). They obviously couldnt confirm if it was this train or not. Typical Fox affiliate. They will report anything to say they reported something someone else didnt.

joel_maxwell

What about track switching? Where's the switch to the express loop in relationship to the station?
Someone can use this to help explain your question.

TTC_Switch.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom