Upcoming Developments

Dayma

I am going to cry if they loose the Alien scene. Whatever replaces it should be some type of horror/sci fi film.

Shaman

Didn't Disney pass on making/distributing LotR? If so, it would be kind of ironic to see them turning to that franchise to help them counter Potter. LotR weekends would bring in money...but...

Yeah, I just don't see paying for the rights to LotR to do this when they could just use Pirates.

IF it is LotR...and that's probably a big IF. Its addition to the GMR could just be the tip of the iceberg as it relates to the trilogy's (and maybe more) presence in the park. Maybe it will be like a teaser...a preview...something to get people excited and start countering Potter.

My first bet though would be Pirates. Cheaper and as popular...soo....

I'm sad that they're talking about GMR additions and not GMR demolition. That space could be used for something much more spectacular. But alas...

Vernonpush

That was only a quick fix anyway when Disney failed to attain the rights to the tornado scene in Wizard of Oz that would have led onto the scene in Munchkinland.

I heard that they are replacing all the Wizard of Oz characters with Muppets in Oz.

:ROFLOL:
Just kidding!
:lookaroun

The last few times I've ridden TGMR, there have been kids sitting near me, and they've FREAKED OUT every time we went through the Alien scene, and couldn't be calmed down again until Munchkinland or so. Which I'm sure was never really the intent of the ride.
Also, I like the idea of the ride, and I also love scifi, but I'm not sure Alien quite fits in with the other "classics"...most of the other rides had some sort of major impact on the entertainment industry, and while a good movie, I don't think Alien holds the same weight as those movies.
I think if any modern trilogy meets the requirements of a classic (or at least an advance in the industry's technology) it'd be LOTR...but it's tough to say.

I haven't really enjoyed the ride lately, but that's because the actors have been pretty terrible my last few trips....like the dialog is forced out of them and so fake they can't stand to do it anymore. I remember some good experiences on it, but I can't tell if that's because I was young and overlooked bad acting, or if it was because it was actually better back then.

ahks

So, what then happens to the part of the GMR that I've always found a bit off in a ride about movies... the part where the hijacker goes after the jewel. I could be totally wrong here, but it's not from a movie... yeah it themes well right after coming out of the well of souls; but is it from an iconic movie like everything else has been before? Also the mummies scene right after that always felt like a waste of space, again not really movie iconic to me... and the narration is a little bit of a stretch. So, my question is, what would be done in these sections of the ride?

I know some of you have mentioned other trilogies this could be above in the thread, but if you want to have some fun, check out this page of trilogies, and then try to put those in the Alien scene... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_trilogies

My favorite is the Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligans Island. A theatrical movie? Nah? But really who is more deserving of a great looking AA figure than a Harlem Globetrotter and the Professor?

SDav10495

So, what then happens to the part of the GMR that I've always found a bit off in a ride about movies... the part where the hijacker goes after the jewel. I could be totally wrong here, but it's not from a movie... yeah it themes well right after coming out of the well of souls; but is it from an iconic movie like everything else has been before? Also the mummies scene right after that always felt like a waste of space, again not really movie iconic to me... and the narration is a little bit of a stretch. So, my question is, what would be done in these sections of the ride?

You're right, that's not exactly from a movie, but there is an interesting story behind it. A long time ago Disney opened a theme park centered around the idea that guests would be put right into the middle of the movies. The crown jewel of this park was to be...um, "The Stupendous Film Attraction". So guests not only spent their day in the park feeling as if they'd been transported to the height of Hollywood's Golden Age, but they could also go on this ride and feel like they were living inside a movie--CM involvement in the ride added further to this concept. It brought joy to the hearts of hundreds of thousands of movie lovers to be thrust in the middle of their favorite films, even having a little impromptu adventure, in a fun and stunning way that only Disney magic could achieve.

Then Disney started throwing random attractions around to see what stuck and eventually the park's theme was lost--and the star attraction, interactive plot and all, was no longer part of any cohesive or discernible concept. The end. :lookaroun

Capt. Jack

I think if they did do redo the movie scenes in The Great Movie Ride, I think in the "Gangster" scene, towards the beginning (I can't believe i've been so many times to Disney, & can't remember the name of the movie in that scene) - if they put something like the Godfather. That'd be incredible. They could also throw in maybe where Casablanca is - Gone with the Wind.

I do, however, agree that they do need some "spice" (horror/sci-fi) scene to the ride in order to go along with the many genres of movies.

ahks

Hmmm, it seems I failed to make my point. I apologize, I digress. As it is now, that part of the ride... the jewel scene isn't from a particular movie, like everything before it is, but it does serve the ride in getting the hijacker taken care of. I was just wondering what they would or could do with that section that I brought up in the GMR if the scene were the hijacker is changed to the Alien section. With that section changed, that part doesn't serve the purpose anymore and you have a new huge section of the attraction that you can also add to, and have the opportunity to make it better.

Yes, yes, I like the beginning of that story. I like being thrust into the movies so I can be a part of them, I like seeing those iconic figures for real. I like that a Gangster hijacks the car, immersing me in the movies even more. But, I do remember going on GMR in the Spring of 1990 when the park still was still themed, and thinking those exact same thoughts about that section of the ride I posted about above back then.

CThaddeus

i'm so confused...are you talking about the part that is a recreation of indy taking the ruby in raiders of the lost ark?

That scene has nothing to do with Indy. It is a general nod toward the genre of action/fantasy-type movies, but it is not in any way connected to Indiana Jones.

- Two HUGE additions coming to The Great Movie Ride in Disney MGM Studios. First, the Footlight Parade section is going to be receiving a refurb for restoration to its original grandeur. Some modifications will be included in order to prevent the maintenance requirements previously brought on by the scene. Second, the entire Alien scene is going the way of the dodo. In its place will be a scene from a recent trilogy, along with new dialogue for the hijacker who will fall for the alure of a certain piece of jewelry in the scene. You can expect some big PR buzz about the latter as some are already calling it the "Potter-swatter." Obviously its just one of several additions Disney views as having a significant response to any additions other theme parks or resorts may be featuring.

Call me a doubting Thomas, but I'm not sold on the whole Alien scene replacement idea. Why? Because I had lunch with Dan Flynn, Associate Show Program Manager, of WDI at the Brown Derby on Friday, June 15, 2007. I recalled this post and when asked if it was true that the Alien scene was going to be replaced, Dan laughed and said he hadn't heard that rumor before.

As for HM, Dan's wife is the project manager for the HM refurbishment, but Dan couldn't/wouldn't say anything of what to expect.

ReDisniey E-Dew

Account Suspended
Original Poster
^ Dan wouldn't know about this yet. The only people who know anything about it are those privy to the contract negotiations.

Am I privy to that, or do I have a source who is? Interesting...

Enigma

Account Suspended
^ Dan wouldn't know about this yet. The only people who know anything about it are those privy to the contract negotiations.

Am I privy to that, or do I have a source who is? Interesting...

I showed your posts to a friend of mine that works in WDI and he told me what your saying is BS. There is no alien replacement, there is no fantasyland "rule book", and your star tours rumor doesn't even make logical sense.

The world will know in a few months if your full of it or not when SSE and HM reopopen anyway.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I showed your posts to a friend of mine that works in WDI and he told me what your saying is BS. There is no alien replacement, there is no fantasyland "rule book", and your star tours rumor doesn't even make logical sense.

The world will know in a few months if your full of it or not when SSE and HM reopopen anyway.

Why is it so hard for some people to accept that others may know something that others do not?

ReDisniey E-Dew

Account Suspended
Original Poster

Is this the same friend who has informed you a Narnia E-Ticket is going over the 20K Lagoon?

Figment571

EWWWW, sick burn.

If this person with the alleged (innocent until proven guilty and all that jazz) insider info is for real they must either be high up or know someone who is. They talk of going to look at concepts and at the same time almost supervising the renovation of HM. That is if this person has real insider status.
I don't know if they are, but it's fun to wonder isn't it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom