Name A Ride that replaced old one and was better

Chef Mickey

Frozen might be slightly better than Maelstrom, but I give it no credit because it was built on Maelstrom's shoulders. It was basically renovated.

I don't see many attractions that are better than their replacements, other than Pandora being better than a nothing Camp Minnie Mickey

PhilharMagic is better than Legend of the Lion King.

Bairstow

No at all, but I think it would have been a 24/7 walk on had it been sandwiched in between 2 E or even D tickets.

Maybe, maybe not. Increased foot traffic might have meant even more riders. There weren't a whole lot of reasons for families with younger guests to make the full World Showcase loop.

Amidala

Frozen's thematic appropriateness is obviously iffy but IMO the ride is leagues better than Maelstrom. I was kind of fond of Maelstrom just from having ridden it so many times, but it never struck me as a genuinely good ride. I think people developed a level attachment to it because it was such a strange & unusual experience...and it probably wasn't any more representative of the "real" Norway than Frozen is now. It may be an overlay (a pretty extensive one, if we're calling it that) but for me it easily surpasses the TLM ride in Fantasyland, and that was a brand new dark ride built from the ground up...The animatronics are more convincing (Olaf wows me on every ride-through). There would probably be less resentment for this ride if it was in Fantasyland where it would fit better.

Wishes was better than Fantasy in the Sky–haven't seen HEA yet, so I can't make that comparison. I think the Three Caballeros reboot to Gran Fiesta Tour was a success and those animatronics are good as well. And definitely agree w/ Pandora being an improvement on Camp Minnie Mickey. Now if we could just replace Dino-rama next.

ppete1975

journey into imagination 3 from 2. I hear the guardians to the galaxy is better than Disney lands tower (according to Jason scarred). I'm sure frozen is better than maelstrom. Honestly outside of journey 1 to 2 or world of motion to test track... almost all replaced rides are better than the originals (if you rode them side to side). We just love the originals and nostalgia comes to play. People miss mr toad, and I miss seeing the subs but the replacements are much more technically advanced, and prob better. Guardians will prob be a lot better than universe of energy, even though I'm really sad, but its 30 years newer and technology has gotten a lot better (I already miss the ride vehicles, and dinosaurs), Last time I rode UoE there was no line or queue, and it was listed in most guide books as a place for a/c and a nap. I only rode it because I loved it as a kid. My only gripe besides this reuse habit Disney is getting into instead of new construction is that the rides are getting so dang SHORT. I hate being in line for 45 mins for a 2 minute ride.

Bender123

journey into imagination 3 from 2. I hear the guardians to the galaxy is better than Disney lands tower (according to Jason scarred). I'm sure frozen is better than maelstrom. Honestly outside of journey 1 to 2 or world of motion to test track... almost all replaced rides are better than the originals (if you rode them side to side). We just love the originals and nostalgia comes to play. People miss mr toad, and I miss seeing the subs but the replacements are much more technically advanced, and prob better. Guardians will prob be a lot better than universe of energy, even though I'm really sad, but its 30 years newer and technology has gotten a lot better (I already miss the ride vehicles, and dinosaurs), Last time I rode UoE there was no line or queue, and it was listed in most guide books as a place for a/c and a nap. I only rode it because I loved it as a kid. My only gripe besides this reuse habit Disney is getting into instead of new construction is that the rides are getting so dang SHORT. I hate being in line for 45 mins for a 2 minute ride.

I often say this...we get so attached to our memories that we don't really give credit to the new rides...

Pooh is at least the equal to Toad and 7DMT is superior to 20K in almost every way (except length of ride)...A majority of my problems in saying one is better than the other is along the lines of my issues with WoM/TT and Soarin/Kitchen Kaberet/Food Rocks. These situations were times that iconic rides/shows were replaced with equally iconic rides that are vastly different experiences. Trying to compare WoM against TT is just not possible. Outside being about transportation, they are vastly different experiences that both sit at the top of their respective mountains. Is not like replacing a bad ride with a good ride or a god ride with a bad one, its replacing one AAA with another AAA...the same thing happens to me with Soarin. I think Kaberet was the top of line for old EPCOT AA based entertainment and it stood near Tiki Birds and Bears as what Disney could do with AA based theater entertainment. Soarin is a AAA sure fire win of a ride.

In the end, I wish that TT and Soarin were built somewhere else, because it would make these choices easier. Its that they were built over the remains of classics that makes them hard choices.

disneygeek90

Pandora is obviously better than Camp Minnie Mickey. But I hardly consider that a replacement. More of a relocation of M&G's and FotLK.

ppete1975

Yeah sorry about that - no smileys made it hard to guess. While I miss WoM, I do think Test Track is better.
honestly you might be right, they are just so different and once again nostalgia. World of motion was my favorite ride and to me test track is just a quick outside loop but outside of that its just cheap blacklight. But if you put most people on both rides today I'm sure test track would win, and most people under 20 would be like was that when they got of world of motion.

correcaminos

honestly you might be right, they are just so different and once again nostalgia. World of motion was my favorite ride and to me test track is just a quick outside loop but outside of that its just cheap blacklight. But if you put most people on both rides today I'm sure test track would win, and most people under 20 would be like *** was that when they got of world of motion.

They are so different which means it is hard to compare. I was early 20s when Test Track opened and remember waiting in line for 90 minutes to ride. It didn't disappoint. Now I get joy out of watching kids ride it. They love it even though it's not that intense. Heck I've seen adults with huge smiles on their faces.

I suppose each might appeal to different groups these days, but I do think Test Track over all would win. I suppose the same could be said for Horizons. Just after the first ride on Mission space for me, I found each ride after to not be that interesting.

Nextinline

Mickey's PhilharMagic has to be better than anything that was there previously (although I admittedly don't remember seeing any of the other shows in that space).

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Mission Space and Test Track are both miles ahead of and far superior to Horizons and World of Motion. Imagination is so much superior to the old one with Dreamfinder and Figment.
A root canal is much better than a boring "no cavities" trip to the dentist.
I feel the complete opposite.. Horizons was an incredible attraction as was World of Motion and how you think the current Imagination is better than its predecessor is beyond me.

epcotisbest

I feel the complete opposite.. Horizons was an incredible attraction as was World of Motion and how you think the current Imagination is better than its predecessor is beyond me.
What about the root canal? How do you feel about that?
Again:
sarcasm.jpg

crxbrett

I would say Alien Encounter was definitely better than Mission to Mars. Another one from the 1990s that unfortunately did not last long that was better than it's predecessor was Timekeeper. And while I loved Magic Journeys tremendously, I still think Captain EO was a much better film and more engrossing and exciting. Yes, MJ (Michael Jackson) was better than MJ (Magic Journeys) :geek:

I think Disneyland has a lot more examples of things being replaced by better things. WDW for the most part for some strange reason usually replaces greatness with things that are not as great or as comparable.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Captain EO --> Honey, I Shrunk the Audience
Food Rocks --> Soarin'
Maelstrom --> Frozen Ever After (As much as I dislike to admit it.)
Here Comes the Muppets --> Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Hollywood's Pretty Woman --> Beauty & the Beast Live On Stage
Who Wants to be a Millionaire - Play it! --> Toy Story Mania
Tarzan Rocks! + Theatre --> Finding Nemo: the Musical
Camp Minnie Mickey --> Pandora
Enchanted Tiki Room (UNM) --> Enchanted Tiki Room
Magic Journeys --> Legend of the Lion King
Legend of the Lion King --> Mickey's Philharmagic

Disneyhead'71

Frozen Ever After is so incredibly intellectually dishonest that it urinates all over the very concept of "Edutainment". But it's sparkly. Oooo, pretty.

The same can be said for Pandora. It's like having Sir Richard Attenborough narrate a documentary explaining the science behind "Sharknado III".

FettFan

can you name a ride that replaced an old one and it was better I mean truly better. I can't really think of one?

Easy:
The Walter Cronkite version of Spaceship Earth was better than Spaceship Earth 1982.
The Jeremy Irons version of Spaceship Earth was better than the Walter Cronkite version.

Star Tours: The Adventures Continue is better than the original Star Tours, as while we lose the original comet field and Death Star trench run, we do get multiple new locations and randomized sequences. Speaking of which....

Each incarnation of the Tower of Terror has been progressively better than the last. While the actual ride building and set pieces have remained mostly unchanged, the drop profile has been updated numerous times for a randomized experience.

Honey I Shrunk the Audience was better than Captain EO.

The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter was better than Mission to Mars.

Mickey's Philharmagic is better than the Legend of the Lion King stage show.

The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow show at Disney-MGM/Hollywood Studios was far better than the "Narnia" live-action DVD commercial. What waste of time that was! I actually felt insulted by the whole experience. You went in, saw props and artwork from the Narnia movies....then a cast member dressed as the White Witch came out, said a few lines then scurried away, and then you watched the theatrical trailer on a large television screen. The good news is that it was mercifully short....maybe, MAYBE about 10 minutes from entrance to exit.

If You Could Fly was good.
If You Had Wings was better (and so iconic that you can still hear an electronic rendition of "If You Had Wings" while riding Peoplemover)
Delta Dreamflight was far superior to If You Had Wings. IYCF and IYHW were both practically a travel agency pitch to visit Central America, which was unnecessary once Mexico opened at Epcot. Delta Dreamflight was the history of aviation....almost like a scaled back version of World of Motion that focused solely on airplanes rather than all forms of transportation.

FettFan

Frozen Ever After is so incredibly intellectually dishonest that it urinates all over the very concept of "Edutainment". But it's sparkly. Oooo, pretty.

The same can be said for Pandora. It's like having Sir Richard Attenborough narrate a documentary explaining the science behind "Sharknado III".

Or David Attenborough narrating a documentary on Miley Cyrus. :D

TwilightZone

If you're counting lands carsland is leagues better then bountiful. For rides at wdw: I think each version of the motion pavilion is better than the previous version. For rides at disneyland: I think that nemo is better than submarine voyage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom