News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

D.Silentu

If only they still had it, the photo would instantly be uploaded to your Photopass account...

Indeed! Well before camera phones too! Although they didn't sell the photo's, which is unlike Disney, so maybe they were more self aware than we give them credit for.

yookeroo

At least we can anticipate more construction photos/vlogs!

I have no idea what to think of this because I have no idea what it entails. I'll reserve judgement for now.

My initial reaction was negative, wait and see. A lot depends on the execution. Reading the comments has pushed my very much into the positive. Probably somewhat irrational, but I figure being on the opposite side ove the overreactors is probably a safe bet. All we have is a avagie idea of what's coming, but panic and anger are out in force.

Literally thinking the same thing as I'm reading the comments here.

Seriously. But then I was surprised by the passion for Tower of Terror.

Of course I'm one who wouldn't be this disturbed if they replaced Pirates and the Mansion with a giant McDonalds. I would probably stop going to the parks, but in the end they're just rides in an amusement park.

D.Silentu

People are expressing surprise that Paradise Pier seems to have so many fans, but I'm not convinced that it really does. Rather, I think people who come off that way are more concerned that there will have been three piers before the park turns twenty, and this new move seems to personify a rejection of all the thematic progress DCA has made. However, I may be projecting, as you and others have said it is really is to soon to judge one way or the other.

Last edited:

TP2000

Those who rode Superstar Limo will remember that your picture was taken and then projected onto a billboard near the end of the ride. I'll never forget how it captured the expressions of our car, ranging from boredom to disgust! It summed up the ride perfectly and I wish there had been a way to get a copy of that photo.

It was the only on-ride photo I ever wanted to buy, and they didn't sell it!

The first time I rode it without knowing they'd taken your photo, I looked scared. Genuinely scared.

mickEblu

People are expressing surprise that Paradise Pier seems to have so many fans, but I'm not convinced that it really does. Rather, I think people who come off that way are more concerned that there will have been three piers before the park turns twenty, and this new move seems to personify a rejection of all the thematic progress DCA has made. However, I may be projecting, as you and others have said it is really is to soon to judge one way or the other.

Exactly. I think it has a lot less to do with nostalgia or love for Paradise Pier and more to do with confused theme park fans. Key word being "theme."

October82

This is definitely it. Paradise Pier has been a mess since 2001. Major progress was made with the DCA 2.0 investment, and there was a clear path for that land to eventually be something memorable. This is - independent of any concerns about IP that people may have - pretty much certain to be a step backwards. It seems to be a rejection of any sense of coherency for the land, in favor of branded signage and a victorian aesthetic that seems to be kept out of a sense of convenience. It is very much in the spirit of DCA 1.0 - focused on reminding one that they are at a theme park in Anaheim, now with Pixar characters.

D

Deleted member 107043

This is definitely it. Paradise Pier has been a mess since 2001.

All things considered I don't think the situation with PP is as dire as you've characterized it. Between Screamin', Little Mermaid, TSMM, WoC, a few fun diversions, beautiful vistas, and the popular Cove Bar, PP has a lot more going for it than a certain futuristic themed land in the park across the way. I agree that more charm and details are needed, particularly for the queues and facades at The Funwheel, King Triton's Carousel, and Screamin'.

George Lucas on a Bench

more charm

tumblr_oslasbGzLK1w29ji9o1_500.gif

nevol

All things considered I don't think the situation with PP is as dire as you've characterized it. Between Screamin', Little Mermaid, TSMM, WoC, a few fun diversions, beautiful vistas, and the popular Cove Bar, PP has a lot more going for it than a certain futuristic themed land in the park across the way. I agree that more charm and details are needed, particularly for the queues and facades at The Funwheel, King Triton's Carousel, and Screamin'.

This too. A clear combination of D.silentu, October82 and mickEblu's points, and this one. It appears a bit lost, and riffing of this point, unneeded.

Last edited:

nevol

"The sky is falling" counts as intelligent conversation?

Who said the sky was falling? Sarcasm, likely, but is your comment supposed to be anything but inflammatory? There is plenty of lively conversation taking place and save for the page or two you are drawing this quote from, it has been completely relaxed since. I also think that changing your opinion or taking a position just to pivot away from other people and not for the merit of any actual argument is incredibly childish. And once you've made that weak, fragile decision, acting like anybody else who doesn't think as illogically as you is "overreacting" or being hysterical and deserves to be ridiculed is actually just pitiful. I've posted some really optimistic speculation but it seems whenever I do so, nobody cares, and so I've erased it to have published elsewhere as an op-ed.

I have more important things to do than argue with children of all ages who think it is cool to reduce the things we all care about at a threshold high enough to join a community like this to "just amusement park rides." If you don't want to participate in a conversation, it is very easy not to. Instead you show up to ridicule everybody and think that it is well disguised as a constructive contribution to the discussion, but it isn't. Your comment on page 33 was annoying but at least spoke to your reaction to and opinion of the subject at hand; this latest one? Come on.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Who said the sky was falling? Sarcasm, likely, but is your comment supposed to be anything but inflammatory? There is plenty of lively conversation taking place and save for the page or two you are drawing this quote from, it has been completely relaxed since. I also think that changing your opinion or taking a position just to pivot away from other people and not for the merit of any actual argument is incredibly childish. And once you've made that weak, fragile decision, acting like anybody else who doesn't think as illogically as you is "overreacting" or being hysterical and deserves to be ridiculed is actually just pitiful. I've posted some really optimistic speculation but it seems whenever I do so, nobody cares, and so I've erased it to have published elsewhere as an op-ed.

I have more important things to do than argue with children of all ages who think it is cool to reduce the things we all care about at a threshold high enough to join a community like this to "just amusement park rides." If you don't want to participate in a conversation, it is very easy not to. Instead you show up to ridicule everybody and think that it is well disguised as a constructive contribution to the discussion, but it isn't. Your comment on page 33 was annoying but at least spoke to your reaction to and opinion of the subject at hand; this latest one? Come on.

TESTIFY!

Californian Elitist

DAYUM! Preach, honey!

The_Bellringer

I've never liked Paradise Pier. It's exactly what Walt didn't want in a theme park: generic, off the shelf rides that looked like every other amusement park. Baffling that Eisner thought this was a good idea. I mean come on!

I think Pixar Pier might at least make it a bit more differentiated than say, the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. The Victorian theming never really did it for me, and it still looks very similar to opening day PP.

nevol

I've never liked Paradise Pier. It's exactly what Walt didn't want in a theme park: generic, off the shelf rides that looked like every other amusement park. Baffling that Eisner thought this was a good idea. I mean come on!

I think Pixar Pier might at least make it a bit more differentiated than say, the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. The Victorian theming never really did it for me, and it still looks very similar to opening day PP.

There are still too many industrial elements and spots that aren't themed architecturally or through landscaping etc. And while goofy sky school might provide cute kinetics to paradise garden grill, it is nothing that should be preserved. DCA has a few strong E-tickets that are worth seeing but nothing down-ticket, historically significant, or with any soul. Disneyland has beautiful places to eat and drink, novelty items often, pretty places to sit, vehicles on main street and along the river that really make it special. There is nothing like that at dca. Everything is either an E ticket or a corny IP flat ride. I think something like the golden zephyr is actually really beautiful, but what is missing are the tiki rooms, canal boats, show-driven C, D, and E-tickets rather than just thrill ones. I think maybe it opened with more, but all the eggs went in the 3d show basket and when those grew tired we just got stuck with a bunch of empty theaters. Not worth rehashing the old GOTG discussion; clearly something is coming next to make it make sense, but the loss of placemaking it reciprocated to its tragic land, now coupled with the removal of the overhead wires for the trolley through hollywoodland and Buena vista street, means less texture and richness in those places (for now). Enhancements are obviously necessary but things like the trolley wires disappearing feels like a step backward. Pixar Pier could be a step forward definitely, but a lot of confusion and uncertainty regarding the direction of the park pertains to how much is unknown, and again, these continued replacements,reskins, and removals, rather than additions. Obviously marvel is on the way and probably at least one new dark ride for the pier. Maybe everything will be incredible, in which case the mishandling of these announcements and the PR decisionmaking before d23 will be the things deserving of some criticism.

I am actually starting to speculate that Pixar FEST (not pier) is an excuse to trojan horse into disneyland a ton of storytelling experiments ahead of the opening of star wars land. They've done a few small things with groups of a couple dozen, and it would be really risky business for them to open this highly interactive and responsive land, with costumed characters and soft robots interacting with guests, without first working out the kinks and trying to scale these techniques upwards toward the massive crowds that will be descending in 2019. So if I'm correct in that prediction, that all this Pixar stuff (at disneyland at least) is a way of practicing for star wars land, then I can more than live with it. That has nothing to do, however, with the Pier, though if there is to be a collection of Pixar neighborhoods, maybe we can expect some next-gen toontown meet n greet equivalents for pixar IP.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom