The fate of Star Tours?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I remember reading about some ideas that WDI tossed about during the early days of Hollywood Studios. One of those was The Great Muppet Movie Ride featuring Muppets parodies of each scene from the original ride. Would be kind of brilliant if they rethemed Star Tours to feature the Muppets in place of the Star Wars characters. Maybe even throw in a Dark Kermit AA. :joyfull:
This might be sneakily brilliant. It would be like the story behind Chester and Hester's setting up next to the Dinoland dig site and science center, where the Muppets got word of this space port and they send it up in Muppet parody fashion.

BenJacobs

Well, they aren't getting rid of the Muppets area, so Star Tours would be close by but separated from Star Wars Land by the Muppets land. It could stay the same, as it has proven to be a successful standalone ride, or be rethemed.

It would define the stay if, in the future, they got rid of the Muppets land, replaced it with more Star Wars Land, and themed Star Tours to be the major space port of whatever city SWL is set in, which would allow it to be the exact same ride. But I bet that won't happen.

It will no doubt end up being rethemed, this is where a Guardians OTG ride could fit, it would still be space themed of course, you would still be supposed to be going on a commercial flight, before ending up in a battle. Or you could be in a ship which is trying to save the Guardians from who knows what.

There isn't really anywhere for Guardians to go elsewhere, other than TOT of course, so this would house them, and even be the entrance to a future Marvel Land.

BenJacobs

The expansion pads either side of SM

The Sunset ranch expansion pad

The B&B expansion pad

Animation building area

The expansion pad behind Indy

To name a few (and assuming the IP does substantially come to Orlando)

Yes, there's a lot of space, but I meant what would the attraction be(sorry if I wasn't clear enough), as retheming Star Tours to Guardians could easily keep the same ride system, and actually have a similar theme during the ride(even though I do like Star Tours, it'll probably be replaced as they already have many Star Wars rides just across the way).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, there's a lot of space, but I meant what would the attraction be(sorry if I wasn't clear enough), as retheming Star Tours to Guardians could easily keep the same ride system, and actually have a similar theme during the ride(even though I do like Star Tours, it'll probably be replaced as they already have many Star Wars rides just across the way).
I'm not for retheming so I can't answer that.

Star Tours is likely to be rethemed in 2020-1.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That is a lot sooner than you had talked about before! I'm assuming they want a new attraction open before the 50th, what with the lack thereof at DHS.

No, Martin said that it would be open for a year or two beyond the opening of SWL in 2019. In 2019 is also the final (?) episode in the tritrilogy and they'll be adding another scene from that movie, which gives Star Tours a life for an extra year or two handling the SW fan convergence crowd before finally being rethemed (or moved or trashed).

RSoxNo1

I remember reading about some ideas that WDI tossed about during the early days of Hollywood Studios. One of those was The Great Muppet Movie Ride featuring Muppets parodies of each scene from the original ride. Would be kind of brilliant if they rethemed Star Tours to feature the Muppets in place of the Star Wars characters. Maybe even throw in a Dark Kermit AA. :joyfull:
I have suggested something very similar for Star Tours.

AC21075

I have suggested something very similar for Star Tours.
Given its location in Hollywood Studios and its proximity to Sci-Fi Dine In, I think it would be more interesting to capitalize on the "Tours" part of the name (ala tours of the Hollywood stars houses) - make it a multiple IP ride thru any and all of Disney's sci-fi properties: Star Wars, Guardians, Tron, The Black Hole, Flight of the Navigator, Pigs in Space, Treasure Planet, what have you...

WDWTank

I foresee an announcement about a new land in the studios where they will remove Indy theater and whatever that themed land is will take over and incorporate star tours with the new theme.
They should make SUPER-HERO Land ;) The Incredibles, Big Hero 6, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Rocketeer, Sky High, and eventually, Iron Man :) Ordinary mortal guests get the opportunity to save the planet and its citizens :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom