Trip Report The I'm Ditching the Spreadsheets....an Unrecognizable Trip!

We arrived home around 10pm last night from our Disney vacation. The planning for this trip started in March, but by September it was not even close to the original. So how did it all turn out? Did I make the correct decisions? Was this trip as hectic as the last one? Should I have cancelled so many dining reservations? Did we miss too much because upon arrival I decided to rip up the spread sheets..the same ones that I so painstakingly obsessed over?! I'm thinking about all of this as I am attempting to organize my 609,504,302 photos.

There were a few hiccups, including my Etsy order not arriving in time, sprinting to the Magical Express just as the doors closed, leaving our Elf on the Shelf in the room after check out, getting stuck on a ride, a missing boat captain, broken ornaments, and a horrible 3 hour lunch. All in all it was an amazing trip. I do not regret the decision to change from the original plans, or the second, or the 3rd, or even the plans I had when we were on the plane heading to Orlando. I decided to throw out most of them and take a (semi) wing it approach. :)

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
Night before leaving. Elf on the Shelf. No Etsy package. Late night/early morning flight/arrival at MCO and GF.

Our Elf on the Shelf, Luke, came a day early this year. He doesn't typically bring presents with him, but Santa wanted to make sure my son had all that he needed for our trip. My son, "T", received an Elf Hat, Magic Bandits, Glow Necklaces, a couple of tee shirts, and a $100 Disney Gift Card for souvenirs (more on this card and the budgeting later).
IMG_4830.JPG

Today is Thanksgiving Day. Sadly, I did not receive our shirts that I ordered from Etsy a week prior, with Express Shipping. I sure wish Santa could have made them magically appear! Oh well. I can always save them for next time, right?

I procrastinated and waited til the night before to pack.. then as I looked at the wardrobe I was building, I thought maybe I wasn't making the best choices.. here was the start-
IMG_4847.JPG

I realized that I was going to Orlando, Florida and the weather channel was calling for high 70s-80, so I may want to rethink my packing strategy. I made a few adjustments and then did a double check to make sure that I included my flat iron this time (forgot it last year).

Now it's off to the airport. Woke kiddo out of a deep sleep, it's time to start this adventure! Luke was waiting with his own Magic Band ready to meet us there!

IMG_4860.JPG

Here's T basically sleep walking at the airport. A 5am flight is not ideal, but the airport crowds and security lines, or lack there of, are perfect!!

IMG_4865.JPG

We're on our way to Disney World!!

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
I was filled with so much nervous energy that I couldn't sleep on the plane. I had my Unofficial Guide out, double checking our itinerary, and writing in a few more activities that I thought we could do.

This was the first time ever that I was actually awake on a plane when the sun came up. It was so beautiful. A sense of calm and peace just came over me.. maybe this was the moment when I would rethink all of the planning, again.

IMG_4870.JPG
IMG_4872.JPG
IMG_4873.JPG

We're here!!!! At MCO anyway. (Obligatory photos below)

IMG_4882.JPG
IMG_4884.JPG
IMG_4888.JPG
IMG_4892.JPG

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
Much to my pleasant surprise ( @Tuvalu had me freaked out and Uber app ready) there was no one in line for our DME bus!! We were directed on the bus within 5 minutes of checking in!

IMG_4893.JPG
IMG_4895.JPG

T was engrossed in his tablet on the ride. Just before we arrived on Disney property I told him that he had to shut his tablet off for the remainder of the trip. Not one complaint from him!!!!

At this moment, as we passed the Walt Disney World sign...and he was calling to me to look at it...while I was engrossed in my spreadsheets...missing what was outside of the window... it was at this exact moment when I looked at my child's disappointed (in me) face...this is when I made a decision. Consulted him first though.
"T, I have a ton of fun stuff planned for us, including daily character meals like last time. Do you want to do that again, or do you want to skip a few meals and plans, and just see what we feel like doing?"

"I just want to go on rides, meet Stitch, swim, and hang out with you. I don't need to meet all of the characters again. Let's just do what we feel like."

Ok, I put the guide away. I crumbled up the sheets. I decided that this trip we will follow an outline, but not an hourly itinerary. And I prayed that it would be ok this way, and that my typical over structured self would be able to deal.

IMG_4899.JPG

...........................WE'RE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_4907.JPG

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
I've been waiting for this trip report. I can't wait to find out how everything turned out. :)

Thanks! I wasn't joking about the number of photos that I have to sift through! I apologize in advance- There will be A LOT of photos in this trip report. None of them taken with a fancy camera. All from an iPhone 7.lol

Anxious to hear about the stuck on a ride. I had some friends down there last week and they were stuck on Everest and actually had to take the stairs down.

Oh wow! It wasn't Everest for us.

21stamps

Original Poster
Arrival at the Grand Floridian

About a month ago, after adding two more park days (evenings) to the plans, I decided to save some money and downgrade from a Theme Park View room to a Lagoon View. I was extremely apprehensive about this. Last year, at Poly, my son jumped out of bed every morning and ran to the balcony to see the Castle and Space Mountain. I thought the change was the responsible thing to do, but hoped he wouldn't be disappointed.

All of that worry for NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here was our view from the room!! It's looking like this is going to be a fantastic trip! I felt so lucky and grateful!!!! (AND I saved a bit of money!!!!)

IMG_5054.JPG

We were in Boca Chica. Room 8421 It was PERFECT!!!!

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
Gasparilla's is currently closed for renovations, so we headed to the Beach Pool for some breakfast. Passed these guys on the walk there..it was all so pretty!

IMG_4935.JPG

IMG_4937.JPG

Now time for the beach!!!

IMG_4956.JPG

Then T noticed this:

IMG_4998.JPG

I had been nervous about what he would say upon seeing the "new" beaches. Kind of hoped that he may not notice.
He did notice and asked about it immediately. I just told him that the fence was for little kids who couldn't read signs, so that they wouldn't go swimming, because it is not allowed. To my great relief, after a brief moan and proclamation of "that's stupid", the answer did seem to satisfy his question. Whew. Subject Closed. Now on to the sand!!!!
Included here is the first of (unfortunately) many of T's dab photos. Ugh..kids will be kids I guess ;)

IMG_4975.JPG
IMG_4969.JPG
IMG_4989.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4959.JPG
    IMG_4959.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
Game Day!!!...and Besties...a Cabana...and too many adult beverages ;)

The DAY IS HERE!! The one I have been waiting for since the beginning of the NCAA Football Season.

OSU vs. MICHIGAN

My closest friend, "D", came up from Boca Raton to join me on this oh so important day. We have different loyalties (mine is obviously better than hers) and both had vested interest in this game. Only one would be victorious.

I rented a cabana at the Beach Pool. Had originally planned to only do 4 hours, but the game was such a nail biter, and the location of the cabana so perfect, that I decided to just keep it for the entire day. Everything on the drink menu looked so good, but I finally decided to go with a Coco-Jito it was yummy!!!..and would not be my last during our stay.

Most people take a perfectly pedicured photo...I'm always cold and did not swim that day, so here is my Instagram worthy legging/sneaker photo ;)

IMG_5023.JPG

Here's the wonderfully located cabana..I could see the entire pool and slide, and kiddo could go back and forth with ease and in my line of sight.

IMG_5024.JPG

Here is a photo of my favorite game day rival. I was delighted by the amount of OSU fans that were at the bar near the pool, and also ones that I ran into to the rest of the evening!! I counted at least 30! O-H!!!!

IMG_5006.JPG

We ordered the lobster sliders for brunch and they were DELISH!!!! I also broke my "No Soda Rule" and let T have a Sprite.

IMG_5009.JPG

T went down the slide about 200 times during the game, would come back and watch a quarter, check the score, and then back to the pool for a game. He took a 15 minute nap during half time. I was biting my nails and hyperventilating..but I had faith in my Bucks!!

IMG_4961.JPG
IMG_5026.JPG
IMG_5011.JPG

IMG_4963.JPG

THE Ohio State University got the W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok,Ok, it wasn't the prettiest win, but I'll take it!!!!

I had to halt my celebrations for a moment and console a crying/cursing/insulting D... More adult beverages would fix it, I wanted a celebratory drink, she needed to drink her pain away.. so, let's head to Trader Sams later! But first, a few more waters.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
Trader Sam's, a pouting D, and a trip around the Monorail....

We walked out from the pool area and my darling son was heckling D with a bombardment of "O-H! Now you say I-O! You don't want to be a Michigan fan." Maybe not the best sportsmanlike conduct, but I was cracking up. A lovely man drove by on a golf cart, stopped to chat and joke with us about the game, and after we told him we were going back to the room and heading to Poly for a few drinks to console D, he offered us a ride to our building.
More perfection on top of an already perfect day :)

IMG_5040.JPG

T was asking if he could go to the volcano slide when we arrived at Poly. Not this trip buddy.
IMG_5051.JPG

Waiting for the launch to Poly.
D pouting. T gloating. :) :)

IMG_5064.JPG

We arrived at Trader Sam's and luckily someone was leaving just as we were arriving!!!! Sat down and ordered, I mean is there anything better than a Spikey Pineapple???!!!???!!!!! No, no there isn't.
My son must have worn himself out after 8 hours of going down a slide, swimming to the edge, going back up the slide, rinse and repeating. He fell asleep at the table momentarily. I thought we would have to ask for our food to go...

IMG_5070.JPG
IMG_5072.JPG

Nope...he's back with a second wind!!! We all loved each dish.
IMG_5073.JPG

T was fully awake and wanted to go see more Christmas decorations, so we decided to travel to the Contemporary, stopped at MK first. Only got to see the outside..we'll get there soon kiddo...I'm skipping the weekend for our own good!

IMG_5079.JPG
IMG_5088.JPG
IMG_5089.JPG
IMG_5091.JPG

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
Completed the loop, back at GF.
There was a Bell Choir playing in the lobby.
Beautiful sounds, beautiful atmosphere.

T and I have Early Morning Magic in the morning, so it's time for a pic in front of the Christmas tree and then back to the room. I knew he would be asleep before the Electrical Water Pageant passed by.

I felt a little out of place in my ultra casual clothes while other families were taking nice Christmas card photos.. oh well, had to be in my team gear, and failed to use the flat iron that I remembered to pack.lol. Oh, and did I mention that my son completely refused to wear his sperry's or loafers the entire trip? Well he did. I gave in, it's Disney World and I figured I would pick my battles. They remained in the suitcase for the duration. :(

IMG_9061.PNG
IMG_5080.JPG
IMG_9062.JPG

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
I haven't been able to decide which were my favorite 'Wishes from the room' photos so far.. so here's a few that made the final cut. It makes we wish that I would have purchased a nice camera!

IMG_9063.PNG
IMG_5105.JPG
IMG_5109.JPG
IMG_5111.JPG
IMG_5113.JPG
IMG_5120.JPG

Luke is in his place for the morning...

IMG_5123.JPG

Time for Lights Out, all besides the Christmas lights anyway :)

IMG_5124.JPG

epcotisbest

Great start to the trip report, but with some 609 million plus photos, I'm thinking this is gonna take awhile. I added up how much time we have spent over the years watching football games while at WDW and it came out to...zero. One of the things we do while there is try to escape the outside world.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
Great start to the trip report, but with some 609 million plus photos, I'm thinking this is gonna take awhile. I added up how much time we have spent over the years watching football games while at WDW and it came out to...zero. One of the things we do while there is try to escape the outside world.
Ha ha! This trip report is helping me narrow them down! I probably have another 85 videos as well.lol. Luckily I'm deleting a lot as I'm going through them.

When I originally chose this week for the cruise, back in March, I wasn't even thinking about the OSU Mich game being the same week. Once the schedules came out there was no way I could miss it!

We actually watched a game last year too, but it was a night game. We ordered pizza in the room and watched the EWP and Wishes. Was actually a nice evening. I couldn't stay in the room during a day game though.

21stamps

Original Poster
Early Morning Magic at MK

I've read that a lot of people arrive between 7-7:30am. We didn't leave GF until 7:48, and arrived at MK gates at 7:54. Oops! We're late!

It was ok though, we were given our bracelets and entered the park immediately. (Separate entrance from the dining crowd)

There was a rush of PPO people too, but I'm still happy with the lack of crowds in these photos. I'm sure there would have been even less people if we had arrived on time! EMM was wonderful!! I highly recommend it and will continue to partak if it is still offered in the future. It honestly was a great value.

IMG_5128.JPG
IMG_5131.JPG
IMG_5141.JPG
IMG_5146.JPG
IMG_5148.JPG
IMG_5162.JPG
IMG_5170.JPG
IMG_5172.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom