Operating hours of several Epcot attractions and shops to be reduced from Feb 2016

flynnibus

Premium Member
Thanks for continuing to miss the point.

I'm not saying things should be like they were in 1994. I'm saying that it's been like this far longer than people think. And that overall hours are longer now then they were then.

Remember when you said you could only speak for May 1994? And see the conflict with that and the above?

You're looking at a single reference and extrapolating it out.. while others have shown you it's not the uniformity you say, but then don't say, you are saying.

FW having an earlier close time is a model they've had for a long long time... I don't think anyone is really denying that. But your focus on one point means you miss the bigger picture. Why is Disney continuing to nip and tuck operations when the parks have had record attendance for quarter over quarter.. and the park is even operating at less than full operational capacity?

The reason is clearly Disney is trying to focus on optimizing costs. See where they can nip and tuck in under utilized areas to reduce cost, while they continue to monetize and upcharge for areas where demand exceeds capacity. This is all about maximizing your profitability by driving margins through reduced costs and raising prices. Its scary when things are done so industrialized like this because it shows where the company's focus is... financial performance instead of the concept of 'put on a top quality product and the rest will fall into place'.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I was there 2 weeks ago with 3 small kids, so we went to do Imagination around 8:30, before Illuminations. There were more cast members on this side of the park then there were guests. Inside Imagination itself, there was 1 at the entrance, 4 at the load station, and 2 at the exit. I didn't see any other riders coming behind us, or on the vehicle in front of us. There were no guests in the area after the ride either. I'd be sad if it was closed because it was something my kids could do, but as a business operator, that's just foolish to keep running it when no one is there.

No, the complacent business operator just chooses to not run it. The savvy business operator says "why is this part of the park under utilized and not performing up to expectations?" and then does something about it. The accountant says "under performing.. save the costs" - The passionate owner says "Lets reimagine this thing and get it humming again".

Clearly we see how EPCOT has been ran for the last decade plus.

Lirael

Have you not seen the price trend lately?
Have you not seen the labor woes?
Have you not seen the park attendance numbers? The fiscal reports?

Disney isn't hurting for revenue or demand... they are trying to boost their operating margins.

I know prices are increaing, which is why I said exorbitant increases. Ok, on the layoffs part I really should have added a "more", as in, its better than more layoffs, my mistake.

I never said disney is doing it because they need it, just that if they are after a boost to their margins, better this than some other measures (like much more layoffs and price increases).

peter11435

Remember when you said you could only speak for May 1994? And see the conflict with that and the above?

You're looking at a single reference and extrapolating it out.. while others have shown you it's not the uniformity you say, but then don't say, you are saying.

I said I could only speak for May of 1994 because that was the data set I had in front of me. Never did I say that it has always been like this, nor did I say it has been like this continuously since 1994. I pointed out that this type of schedule dates back to at least 1994. I was responding to someone who claimed that future world and world showcase having different hours was a new thing. Which it is not. If you want to keep purposely missing my point then go right ahead.

I never said that there was uniformity in the schedule all these years. I simply said the schedule existed as far back as 1994.

And for the record others have not "shown" me anything. I posted factual data from a physical times guide. Others have posted memories of how they think it used to be. Hopefully you can see the conflict with this.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I said I could only speak for May of 1994 because that was the data set I had in front of me. Never did I say that it has always been like this, nor did I say it has been like this continuously since 1994. I pointed out that this type of schedule dates back to at least 1994

You either don't understand the concept of a point on a line.. vs the entire line.. or suck at communicating. Because you keep speaking as if that point in time invalidates any other references along the line.

peter11435

You either don't understand the concept of a point on a line.. vs the entire line.. or suck at communicating. Because you keep speaking as if that point in time invalidates any other references along the line.

I think you suck at reading. IM NOT saying this point on the line represents the entire line. I know things have fluctuated. I'm saying that you can't say FW and WS having different hours is a new thing when it dates back at least 22 years. That was the point of my post. But you can continue intentionally missing the point.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think you suck at reading. IM NOT saying this point on the line represents the entire line. I know things have fluctuated. I'm saying that you can't say FW and WS having different hours is a new thing when it dates back at least 22 years. That was the point of my post. But you can continue intentionally missing the point.

I could also say you used to poop your pants when you were a baby... so if you started doing it again tomorrow.. we could say this behavior dates back decades.

See the difference yet? Past behavior vs changes in patterns.

Everyone knows the FW early close has been around for a long time. You're missing the forest for the trees.

peter11435

I could also say you used to poop your pants when you were a baby... so if you started doing it again tomorrow.. we could say this behavior dates back decades.

See the difference yet? Past behavior vs changes in patterns.

Everyone knows the FW early close has been around for a long time. You're missing the forest for the trees.
Wow. Now you're just being ridiculous.

The problem (among many) with your analogy is that this isn't out of the blue. My information from 1994 indicates the past behavior and disney continuing to operate the park on that schedule for most of the next 2 decades indicates that there was no change of pattern.

You say most know FW early closes have been around a long time. That is true, But the fact is the poster I responded to said it was a new thing. Which is why I was pointing out that it was far from new.

I'm not missing anything.

Mouse gear opening late is a new change. And in my opinion stupid. The attractions closing at 7 is returning to how they have operated for most of their existence.

noidwork

No, the complacent business operator just chooses to not run it. The savvy business operator says "why is this part of the park under utilized and not performing up to expectations?" and then does something about it. The accountant says "under performing.. save the costs" - The passionate owner says "Lets reimagine this thing and get it humming again".

Clearly we see how EPCOT has been ran for the last decade plus.

None of which contradicts my point, you merely are calling them complacent and non-visionary. But I think we could both agree that, to finish your tree of leadership, that the idiot business owner continues to do the same thing in the hope that the result will change. Here they are at a minimum acknowledging that what they have does not work, not at those hours, and are taking the simplest approach to solving it. I'm not arguing at all that this is the move of a passionate business owner, it's merely the move of a non-idiot business owner.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Chapek has been P&R Chairman for only a few months and it's already beginning to feel like a return of Paul Pressler; charge more for less.

Did you expect anything different, Chapek was a consumer products guy he was a 'Plushie Pusher' his strength is merchandising just like Paul Pressler, As soon as I looked at Chapek's background my first thought was 'The Pressler Days are BACK'. Here we are after a record quarter and the bad old days are back with Strategic Planning and a GM who looks at WDW as the worlds largest mall store.

flynnibus

Premium Member
None of which contradicts my point, you merely are calling them complacent and non-visionary. But I think we could both agree that, to finish your tree of leadership, that the idiot business owner continues to do the same thing in the hope that the result will change. Here they are at a minimum acknowledging that what they have does not work, not at those hours, and are taking the simplest approach to solving it. I'm not arguing at all that this is the move of a passionate business owner, it's merely the move of a non-idiot business owner.

It is the simplest approach... but the approach that ignores they are the ENTERTAINMENT business and operating a place of business whose sole purpose is to attract people in and spend their money So when you say "that's just foolish to keep running it when no one is there" I do disagree that this is a logical or non-foolish choice. It's a over simplified choice that runs counter to the point of running the park in the first place :) Nevermind the image Disney spent decades building... excess for customer service and 'dress to impress'

It's like putting a CPA in charge of a piece of art project. Makes sense if your purpose was to optimize money... ridiculous if you were out to create the best art you could. Walt knew success would come from creating great product.. not from squeezing the bottom line.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It is the simplest approach... but the approach that ignores they are the ENTERTAINMENT business and operating a place of business whose sole purpose is to attract people in and spend their money So when you say "that's just foolish to keep running it when no one is there" I do disagree that this is a logical or non-foolish choice. It's a over simplified choice that runs counter to the point of running the park in the first place :) Nevermind the image Disney spent decades building... excess for customer service and 'dress to impress'

It's like putting a CPA in charge of a piece of art project. Makes sense if your purpose was to optimize money... ridiculous if you were out to create the best art you could. Walt knew success would come from creating great product.. not from squeezing the bottom line.

The only metrics at WDW with any clout are the financial ones and with this it's completely obvious that Disney has forgotten that they are in the ENTERTAINMENT business at WDW not RETAIL.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
So... the only reason for people to go all the way into The Land after 7pm (until Soarin' reopens, of course) is Garden Grill? o_O

I happen to be a fan of LWTL at night. The greenhouse looks cool in the dark.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom