Disneyland 60th Anniversary Special

• Thread starter Deleted member 107043
  • Start date

dweezil78

It's absolutely impossible to capture how that park feels in person. It's so vast, so detailed, so incredibly beautiful. Its TOT is better than ours, its Indiana Jones is better than ours, plus its unique attractions range from bizarre to fantastic (JTTCOTE, 20K, Mermaid Theater, Sindbad, Stormrider if you catch it before it closes). With the exception of Midway Mania, everything in the park is worth experiencing for any Disney fan. It's a redefining experience.

So if you're gonna schlep all the way to Asia and include Disney in the mix, it's unmissable. Truly. You can skip TDL if need be, but TDS, ugh. So amazing.

Ah who am I kiddin... of course I'd go, ha! Still hard to deny the excitement of all the unseen, unknown new things waiting in Shanghai. I just wish I had the willpower to not watch videos and look at pics of parks/attractions I've never been to.

GiveMeTheMusic

Ah who am I kiddin... of course I'd go, ha! Still hard to deny the excitement of all the unseen, unknown new things waiting in Shanghai. I just wish I had the willpower to not watch videos and look at pics of parks/attractions I've never been to.

Honestly, it doesn't hurt the experience for me. I'd seen Mystic Manor on video several times before actually riding it, and riding it was awesome. I can only refrain from watching stuff if I know I'll have a chance to see it in person soon - if not, I can't restrain myself!

Travel Junkie

That's actually the best way for an American to visit Shanghai. You can book a 48-72 hour layover and not need the traditional Chinese travel visa, which saves a ton of time and paperwork.

Plus the Visa fee which is over $100.

Flights for example (Yes I have been looking at doing this very thing for a while and may do it next year) LAX to Tokyo with a 2 day stopover in Shanghai is $563 in early May (I know SDL doesn't open until June, but just checking dates.) The cheapest Non Stop from LAX to Tokyo is over $700 for the same dates. Also China Eastern flight flies into the closer airport Haneda vs Narita where most international flights land.

And Yes TDS is not something you can't appreciate in a video. A stunning theme park. Even TOT is something I consider different than the ones here because of the storyline and the awesome pre-show. What also can't be overstated is how amazing the CM's are and Tokyo is as a city. Kyoto is stunning as well. I love Japan if you haven't noticed.

Curious Constance

Here is the current line up and a short preview -

Participants and performers include Jessica Alba, Kelsea Ballerini, Jason Bateman, Kristen Bell, Julie Bowen, Ty Burrell, Sabrina Carpenter, Sofia Carson, Witney Carson, Priyanka Chopra, Viola Davis, Hilary Duff, Fall Out Boy, Harrison Ford, Josh Gad, Ginnifer Goodwin, Nolan Gould, Neil Patrick Harris, Bryce Dallas Howard, Sarah Hyland, Jessie J, Elton John, Tori Kelly and Kermit the Frog, Jimmy Kimmel, Little Big Town, Dame Helen Mirren, Ne-Yo, Lupita Nyong’o, Pentatonix, Pink, Alfonso Ribeiro, John Stamos, Eric Stonestreet, Kiefer Sutherland, **** Van ****, Kerry Washington, Ariel Winter, Zendaya, Maddie Ziegler, Idina Menzel and The Los Angeles Philharmonic conducted by music and artistic director Gustavo Dudamel.

Interesting that they refer to it as "Star Wars Land" in the commercial.

Curious Constance

I was thinking this show was going to be more informational in nature, and now that I see it's going to probably primarily be a bunch of performances I'm not interested in seeing, I'm much less excited for it.

D

Deleted member 107043

Original Poster
I've been to TDL, granted it was years ago, and before TDS, but for some reason I don't have much interest in going again unless I had another reason to travel to Japan. SDL doesn't seem all that compelling either, but man, that Tron coaster sure looks cool!

George Lucas on a Bench

Ugh! When it snows, TDL's HM is a dead ringer for Wayne Manor in Batman Returns! Lucky Asians!

snow-covered-haunted.jpg

GiveMeTheMusic

I've been to TDL, granted it was years ago, and before TDS, but for some reason I don't have much interest in going again unless I had another reason to travel to Japan. SDL doesn't seem all that compelling either, but man, that Tron coaster sure looks cool!

TDL is honestly not that compelling. Pooh and Monsters Inc are incredible rides, and Dreamlights is the best nighttime parade in the world, but overall, it's just a well executed MK with wider walkways. TDS is far more interesting.

The biggest draw at SDL for me is Roaring Rapids - I want to see that giant croc AA! Before it stops working and gets a strobe light put on it, that is.

Last edited:

FerretAfros

Plus the Visa fee which is over $100.

Flights for example (Yes I have been looking at doing this very thing for a while and may do it next year) LAX to Tokyo with a 2 day stopover in Shanghai is $563 in early May (I know SDL doesn't open until June, but just checking dates.) The cheapest Non Stop from LAX to Tokyo is over $700 for the same dates. Also China Eastern flight flies into the closer airport Haneda vs Narita where most international flights land.

And Yes TDS is not something you can't appreciate in a video. A stunning theme park. Even TOT is something I consider different than the ones here because of the storyline and the awesome pre-show. What also can't be overstated is how amazing the CM's are and Tokyo is as a city. Kyoto is stunning as well. I love Japan if you haven't noticed.
The Chinese government actually just revised their visa policies, and you can now spend up to 6 days in Shanghai and the surrounding areas without a visa. Officially this is completely unrelated to Disney's park, but I have to think that it's one (of the few) benefits to having a state-run theme park
http://shanghaiist.com/2016/01/27/6_day_visa_free_transits.php

That said, if you're going to China, it's a waste to only see Shanghai. It's a nice financial city like any other financial city in the world, but the vast majority of the interesting history/culture attractions are in Beijing, which isn't covered by the non-visa

GiveMeTheMusic

The Chinese government actually just revised their visa policies, and you can now spend up to 6 days in Shanghai and the surrounding areas without a visa. Officially this is completely unrelated to Disney's park, but I have to think that it's one (of the few) benefits to having a state-run theme park
http://shanghaiist.com/2016/01/27/6_day_visa_free_transits.php

That said, if you're going to China, it's a waste to only see Shanghai. It's a nice financial city like any other financial city in the world, but the vast majority of the interesting history/culture attractions are in Beijing, which isn't covered by the non-visa

That's fantastic. Hopefully Beijing will get some eased restrictions once another state-run park opens there in a few years (Universal).

brb1006

TDL is honestly not that compelling. Pooh and Monsters Inc are incredible rights, and Dreamlights is the best nighttime parade in the world, but overall, it's just a well executed MK with wider walkways. TDS is far more interesting.

The biggest draw at SDL for me is Roaring Rapids - I want to see that giant croc AA! Before it stops working and gets a strobe light put on it, that is.
Don't forget the amount of characters that show up at Tokyo who are mostly considered rare for WDW and Disneyland guests except for Disneyland Paris.

George Lucas on a Bench

Hopefully, they got Elton John to perform Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters in front of the Alice in Wonderland rides and Rocket Man on the Space Mountain concourse. Otherwise, why did they bother having him?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom