Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

TP2000

Where can I find out who the contractor is for the Star Wars land project at Disneyland?

Not sure you could find out at this time prior to construction. But once construction begins in 2016 it should be fairly easy; just park in Mickey & Friends and go up to the upper levels and take a photo of Star Wars Land construction happening just across Disneyland Drive. You'll be able to make out the name on the trucks quite easily with a half-decent telephoto lens from this vantage point.

Sept%2BStar%2BWars%2BLand%2B3.JPG

D

Deleted member 107043

Maybe... perhaps I missed it. Are there any renderings? How will the area be accessed? Through the Launch Bay or on the second floor outside?

GiveMeTheMusic

Good news! Mickey and the Magical Map will run at least through the end of 2016. My rebel spies tell me the cast was informed today.

Disney is waiting til the last possible minute to announce the removal of Fantasyland Theater. The current plan is that the show will run through the holiday season in 2016, and close at the beginning of 2017. The show's cast is always the last to find out - just ask your friendly neighborhood Aladdin cast member.

The Star Wars Land construction schedule has been accelerated and Disney is now prepared to spend whatever is needed to open it at Disneyland ASAP. The accelerated schedule may force Map to close sooner than anticipated, but that is yet to be seen.

mickEblu

Hallelujah! :D I've never been a fan of this venue from it's debut as Videopolis to whatever is there now. I say good riddance.

Ya I can't say that I'm sad to see the FL theatre go. But I am sad to see it go for nothing more than an unecessary train reroute. I always thought that would have been a great spot for a new FL Attraction.

D

Deleted member 107043

Why do you think the reroute is unnecessary? Also, who knows what the grand plan is? It's still possible that there could be room left for a FL expansion or reconfiguration when the dust settles.

mickEblu

Why do you think the reroute is unnecessary? Also, who knows what the grand plan is? It's still possible that there could be room left for a FL expansion or reconfiguration when the dust settles.

I think it's unecessary because I would assume the 14 acres they cleared backstage would be enough space for SWL without having to alter the ROA / DLRR and also take a potential FL expansion pad where the FL theatre sits.

Of course, I don't know what the long term game plan is but I think a partial Star Wars takeover of TL would have been ideal. TL would finally get the love it needs and you could easily fit 2 new E tickets for Star Wars in the space of Autopia / Innoventions / pizza port. Especially if one of those are a motion simulator attraction. So to me it seems like a lot of unecessary work to alter the ROA and DLRR when just across the park TL could really use some love and ALREADY has a Star Wars presence with Star Tours / Jedi training academy.

I was torn about Losing Toon Town for Star Wars land. (I would only like to see Toon Town go for a FL expansion). If the ROA is really only altered around 20% or less then I'll probably say I'm glad ToonTown was saved. But if they end up hacking 40% of that area of more I'll probably wish Toon Town was sacrificed instead.

Anyway SWL is going where it's going and I'm excited for something new at DL. I think the land will be awesome. I'm just hoping the attractions are more than simulators because that's gets old pretty fast for me. And who knows, maybe we ll still get an FL expansion in ToonTown and a TL renovation after SWL opens? I have to say though, I'm not so sure Disney thinks TL is as big a problem as the fan community makes it out to be. The land is ugly but it's packed with popular rides. I think it's pretty obvious TL is not a priority for Disney and hasn't been for a while.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I think there's a pretty good chance that an announcement about TL's overhaul will surface once the SW Land construction is underway or when it's done.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoonRakerSCM

So Star Wars Land has already started construction, well, at least construction due to it... There's a new building up on the northeast corner of the parking structure as well as some buildings going in along the parking lot exit to the south (where the trams park). Foundations have been layed (as of Friday) and they'll soon be going vertical (the NE of the structure building is already up). In the parking lot on the south side of the parking structure going to those new buildings there are long ditches where some pipe/electrical/conduit (something) has been been layed and asphalted back over.

My guess is the new fueling area will be where the trams currently park (how big are the fuel tanks, can they go there?) though then vehicles needing fuel would have to pass through the tram area (not an issue at night, but would be a bit during day). Not too sure about the building on the northeast corner of the parking structure... it's a good size, but I don't believe it has easy access to backstage.

GiveMeTheMusic

Any guess to when the show building will go vertical? June?

I think that would be extremely optimistic. With all the clearing that needs to be done, I can't imagine we'd see a vertical show building until some time in 2017. Maybe late 2016 if they really push it - there's a river and railroad that need rerouting.

GiveMeTheMusic

I wonder how much this new land costs? A billion considering the amount of infrastructure that needs moving?

Disney is telling the city of Anaheim that Star Wars, the new parking structure and potentially the new Marvel area for DCA will come in at around $1.5 billion. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Bob was willing to spend more, especially on Star Wars. It's clearly the only thing he's been excited about in the parks arena since he got the CEO job.

While I don't have thematic objections to Star Wars Land coming to DL, I do think it's a bad idea logistically. The park is already running at what feel like capacity crowds so much of the year - how much worse will crowding be when this land opens? Meanwhile, DCA has wide open walkways and still nowhere near the gravitational pull on the public DL has. While fitting Star Wars into DCA would have been a stretch thematically, I wish they'd done it. It needs the crowds and DL flat out does not.

GiveMeTheMusic

I will say this - what we consider peak crowds at DL are nothing compared to what TDR deals with almost all the time. It can always get worse crowd-wise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom