Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do these photos still exsist somewhere? The links are now dead,I assume this is from years of changes to the site by Steve.

Keep up the good work.
@theRIOT Sorry for the delay. Here's a few:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    973 KB · Views: 606
  • image.png
    image.png
    581.3 KB · Views: 579
  • image.png
    image.png
    834 KB · Views: 582
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 577
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 586
  • image.png
    image.png
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 578

Goofyernmost

Ah, the day's when the descent actually had scenes to look at.
I'm never sure what scenes that people are talking about. I've been riding SSE since it opened and have never found any scenes worth staying awake for. I think sometimes that people are remembering things that never really were that great, but, just don't care for the new video screens. Personally, I like the videos better.

Disney Analyst

As a big fan of SSE... and as someone who rode it for the first time in 2013... Can someone give me a full history of what the descent was originally, and how it changed up until the black nothingness of today? Any other major changes worth noting in the rest of the attraction (minus the satellite business, I have now read all about that on last few pages)??

Also what exactly are we looking at in those photos above?!

As a Disneyland fan first and foremost, what I loved about SSE was the scale and magnitude of it all! It reminded me of the first time riding POTC at Disneyland... Just so massive, and incredible. Such an interesting ride system!!

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
As a big fan of SSE... and as someone who rode it for the first time in 2013... Can someone give me a full history of what the descent was originally, and how it changed up until the black nothingness of today? Any other major changes worth noting in the rest of the attraction (minus the satellite business, I have now read all about that on last few pages)??

Also what exactly are we looking at in those photos above?!

As a Disneyland fan first and foremost, what I loved about SSE was the scale and magnitude of it all! It reminded me of the first time riding POTC at Disneyland... Just so massive, and incredible. Such an interesting ride system!!
The original, 1982 version had a bunch of screens displaying futuristic technology set to ambient music. The 1986 version re purposed the screens to show silhouettes of children running set to the famous song Tomorrow's Child. The 1994 version replaced the screens with actual scenes and props showing global communication through various ways with awesome lighting effects and a killer musical score.

Omnispace

I can't remember if this rendering was posted on this thread already but for those just joining the discussion it nicely puts together the scene that used to be the "descent" through the center of the building -- or at least what the intent was. After seeing the Earth up in the planetarium, one would descend down through a space station where astronauts would be working on satellites -- perhaps AT&T's communication satellites? It's a spectacular concept and I like the layering where the space station is in silhouette against the planetarium sky. The lady in question is in the glass control room at the bottom center of the rendering. Having never seen it in person, I'm not sure how much detail was put into the set though you can see some of the shapes in the pics above. Also, from what I understand, the view towards Earth across the "top" of the space station was nixed? ( @marni1971 would probably know these things.)

44fabdeb8317495b9bfb629ecec63614.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Also, from what I understand, the view towards Earth across the "top" of the space station was nixed? ( @marni1971 would probably know these things.)

Time for a quick recap?

Originally, guests would enter 180top exiting of a spacecraft. This set would have been built around, and help mask the top of the stairwell and elevator shaft that is very visible today due to the earths interior project in being too bright. It would have looked something like this:

image.png

As noted before, quite reminiscent of the USS Cygnus from the 1979 Disney movie The Black Hole.

The craft was also visible in the original version of the exterior mural next to the ride entrance (to the right in this image):

image.png

However for reasons we will soon see it was scrapped, and was replaced in the actually installed version of the mural by a generic space station:

image.png

Once in 180top, guests would see stars all around and a satellite undergoing in-situ repairs:

image.png

More...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The main floor of 180top was proposed to be the surface of the moon. Lunar rock shaped cutouts would line the edge of the ride path. A space base / habitat would be under construction on the surface and stretching off into the distance. The earth would hang in the sky above it. Guests would swoop low above the surface:

image.png

The cars would rotate to "return to Earth" and pass under the small satellite. Moving backwards, just before tipping back, guests passed under the solar panel of a larger satellite to the right. In turn this was being guided into a space station by a robot arm and another astronaut. The robot arm was being operated by the girl in the window. Descending backwards we realised we were in the hanger of the space station. Walls surrounded us, lights flashed above us on the ceiling, and stars were still visible through the gaps in the roof way above. The ride path passed directly under the girl and window as we descended.

image.png

image.png

The ceiling of the station:

image.png

More...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The space station was a vast, 3 armed suspended show set with the 3 arms all meeting into the cylinder that held the girl in the window:

image.png

After passing under the girl, guests passed though a tight corridor of gobo projections before entering the special effects laden mirrored wall finale of lasers, computer images, flashing lights and visual effects that in 1986 also received "Tomorrow's Child"

However, in early 1982 during installation it was realised the spaceship and moonbase in 180top wasn't working. Whilst looking great on paper, in situ the sets forced perspective didn't work. So it was removed before opening. All that remained of the lunar surface were the lunar surface cut out outlines:

image.png

The satellites and space station of course were thankfully left intact and produced a stunning and fitting start of the rides finale.

In 1994 the satellites were removed, the window blanked over and the space station painted black. At least two of the station "arms" were also removed to allow the addition of the "classroom" projection scene. Parts of the station and cylinder remain in place to this day.

Many years ago I produced a video attempting to show a lot of what I've described. Whilst embarrassing to watch today - and I really should attempt to do it again - it's a pretty crude representation of 180top as it used to be:

Last edited:

tirian

The original, 1982 version had a bunch of screens displaying futuristic technology set to ambient music. The 1986 version re purposed the screens to show silhouettes of children running set to the famous song Tomorrow's Child. The 1994 version replaced the screens with actual scenes and props showing global communication through various ways with awesome lighting effects and a killer musical score.
Wow, I miss that 1994 score. If we could have the 1980s space station again with the 1994 score, I'd almost accept the already-outdated touch screens in the descent.

Goofyernmost

That sums your opinion up perfectly. Thank you for making it crystal clear.
Yes, it does and I will remind you again that even if my opinion disagrees with others, it is still my opinion and I will continue to express it. I know others don't see it that way. Fine. I don't and was never impressed with the down trip other then the city scene. You have made your opinions clear and I didn't attempt to make it sound like you were an idiot for thinking your way, I would appreciate the same respect. Thank you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom