Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

Omnispace

Is this the extra, but never finished track extension in 180top?View attachment 121956

No. There was never any extra track. Just storage. The design - and the structure - was never meant to take any more track.

What you're seeing is the "roof" of what is now the home garage. And as Articos said the platform for fx projections.

Besides, just behind the camera is a large "step" up in the floor. The smooth floor spiral ends where it was always meant to.

I love this photo! I'm actually surprised that the Omnimover track is so low to the floor, but I guess that makes sense considering they mounted the motors to the sides of the track throughout the attraction, (which are unfortunately fairly obvious). One wouldn't think height would be an issue in this tall space though.

If I am correct, that intermediate level to the left is the "roof" of the center of the building where the descent happens. The underside of it would be where the ceiling of the space station maintenance bay set was constructed. The tall towers straight ahead are the service elevator and the stairwell.

Martin, isn't the large step-up in the floor created because a section the spiral ramp actually tips towards the center of the building, (to allow for the descent of the track)? I wish there were more photographs from this set that shows the opposite direction, or even cooler: looking down into the center space!

Void*Petey

Sorry to bump this thread, but I really want to thank everyone who's contributed to it. I don't entirely know how I stumbled upon it, as I didn't even know this forum existed, nor was this the sort of thing I'd normally search for, but I ended up reading the whole thing, and it's absolutely fascinating. Seriously, the closeups of the satellites and the window AA were awesome, and I'm really glad people have taken the time to compile all of the pictures, diagrams, and videos in this thread. Next time I go to Disney World, I'm going to make sure to look out for the space station window and ceiling, as well as the astronaut in Space Mountain :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No, thank you for bumping it!

It made me realise this thread was TEN YEARS old this week. What an epic discussion it was.

Incidentally I've been doing more research and will be releasing a new two part Spaceship Earth video before Christmas, looking at all four versions, with lots of new footage, audio, and a new recreation of 180top circa 1986.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes

It made me realise this thread was TEN YEARS old this week. What an epic discussion it was.

Incidentally I've been doing more research and will be releasing a new two part Spaceship Earth video before Christmas, looking at all four versions, with lots of new footage, audio, and a new recreation of 180top circa 1986.
I'll be looking forward to your video. Your Epcot history videos are the best to watch.

hpyhnt 1000

Talk about a great Christmas present! Looking forward to it, Martin (as always!). :)

KikoKea

Just planned a trip in Sept/Oct:joyfull: and I pulled out my cheat sheet with notes of things to look for at the parks, with this being at the top. Is this correct: to see what's left of the space station, as we turn around and start to descend it will be above and behind us?

theRIOT

This is the best news i've heard all week!
Thank you for all your hard work, Martin!

Big C 73

Just planned a trip in Sept/Oct:joyfull: and I pulled out my cheat sheet with notes of things to look for at the parks, with this being at the top. Is this correct: to see what's left of the space station, as we turn around and start to descend it will be above and behind us?

Indeed, it will be above and behind you, as I saw it rather easily during the descent just this week. There is quite a sufficient amount of space between the prop with the animatronic in the window and the hanging lights for one to be able to see it.

KikoKea

Indeed, it will be above and behind you, as I saw it rather easily during the descent just this week. There is quite a sufficient amount of space between the prop with the animatronic in the window and the hanging lights for one to be able to see it.
Thanks! I'll def look for it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks! I'll def look for it.
When you begin the descent (having already turned backwards) look over and your right shoulder. Through the blue lights. You're looking at the wall opposite to the right. Kind of starts at your eye level and rapidly climbs as you drop.

You'll end up almost passing directly under the old window shaft. Looks like a collection of cylinders sticking out of the wall.

jt04

It is awesome that you document this history so well. Especially as theme park tech revolutionizes. Not being sarcastic at all. Future World has inspired all sorts of new museum tech. And we now have a real "space pavilion" just 70 miles to the east. Likely wouldn't be of the quality it is without E.P.C.O.T. Center.
That is the parks continuing legacy. IMO.

KikoKea

When you begin the descent (having already turned backwards) look over and your right shoulder. Through the blue lights. You're looking at the wall opposite to the right. Kind of starts at your eye level and rapidly climbs as you drop.

You'll end up almost passing directly under the old window shaft. Looks like a collection of cylinders sticking out of the wall.
Noted on my cheat sheet. Thanks!

Alice a

Spent all day yesterday reading this thread- couldn't put it down. Are there any similar threads, with all the history and research? Not necessarily SSE, just love contemporary archeology and WDW- the CSI-level detective work is just a bonus!

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973

It's because of this thread that I have some of the friends I have now....not just online friends, but actual living, breathing, in the flesh friends. You all know who you are :)

Gringrinngghost

I am planning a ride through soon with IR lighting, so hopefully I can get some good views, but I actually ran just into this video that is my basis here for this post. The video looks like it was taken about halfway up. I do have to ask though anyone know if there are videos with the lights on event of the space ship prop (where the AA is)

Siren

I just *love* Spaceship Earth, it is one of the very few rides at Disney that I would not change, except for adding air conditioning. This ride is so hot all the time, so air conditioning would make the ride more pleasant when it's hot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom