Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

nelsonj3

Although I understand your point why do so many people hate water in general? the amount of people that wear ponchos on Splash or kali is really a shame. Water drys off.
It really is just uncomfortable, especially when one's shoes get wet. I like water rides at times, especially when it's hot, but Pirates has never been a "wet" ride and should never be a "wet" ride. People should not have protect their cameras and etc... on this ride. The frustrating thing is that it seems that this is just because of the new boats and never something that the imagineers intended to change about the ride.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Although I understand your point why do so many people hate water in general? the amount of people that wear ponchos on Splash or kali is really a shame. Water drys off.
For us, we hate walking around in wet socks and other undergarments which can take forever to dry, especially on high humidity days. We don't ride Kali for this reason (but would definitely ride in a bathing suit!) and plan ahead for days when we ride Splash Mountain. On Pirates, we don't expect to get drenched. It is not billed as a thrill ride. Yes, it has that drop but in almost 40 years of riding, we never got wet before like we do now (not sure if it is just the new boats or a combo of other factors.)

And when the temperature drops, walking around wet from water rides is no fun either.

cspencer96

In the beach scene in the cave, the mermaids that used to be seen on the right as the boat passed are no longer working. However, you can still hear them singing. There used to be a projection with some real air bubbles in the water to give the effect of mermaids swimming by and almost surfacing. They were there intermittently before the refurb. I hope they are still being worked on and will make a comeback. Or maybe they just were not working on my ride.... Overall I really enjoyed the refurbished elements of the ride.
It is my understanding that this effect has been switched off because of its technical issues coupled with not being very convincing. I like it that way, keep everything before the drop dead.

G00fyDad

Galaxy s5 active....waterproof for 3 feet aka water ride proof.

My son and daughter each just got the Note 5. Is that waterproof? I still have the Note 4 and I am sure it is not. Unfortunately we prefer the larger screens on our phones. With my new job it helps during meetings to have the large screen and the stow-away pen.

corey154

Rode last night. Got SOAKED on the front row. Absolutely "Splash Mountain wet." My shorts and lower shirt were soaked. The boat in front of us was full, and they appeared to be sinking. They were bumping the sides of the guide rails every 30 seconds and the back part of their boat was dipping. They were about an inch from the water on the back right side. We bumped their boat several times. The new effects are nice, but wow, these boats need to go.
That's how our boat was last week the first time we went, then the second wasn't so close to the water. But that first time we were bumping the side rails and I thought the water was going to start coming in. Some of us moved to the other side to distribute the weight better.

nelsonj3

I hadn't even thought of this (since I never take cameras on Disney dark rides because I think it's rude). But, I like the water on Pirates even more now. Maybe it'll keep all those annoying glowing screens and flashes off the ride!
I agree about the screens being annoying, but my biggest gripe is that I don't like getting super wet and having to walk around wet the rest of the day. Many people here clearly feel the same way.

HolleBolleGijs

I was on one of the first boats yesterday morning. Everything looked great except for the audio for Carlos' wife which sounded really gargled, which was awful because it's much more noticeable than an effect that is simply missing.

flyerjab

Was on the ride yesterday. Everything looked top notch. It is amazing how much cleaner everything looked, especially the costumes. The lighting was better too.

Our boat, however, say low in the water, was tilted to the right, and did have a lot of water in the bottom. Our next stop was Splash Mountain though, so it didn't matter too much (this time :)).

matt9112

My son and daughter each just got the Note 5. Is that waterproof? I still have the Note 4 and I am sure it is not. Unfortunately we prefer the larger screens on our phones. With my new job it helps during meetings to have the large screen and the stow-away pen.

no it has to be the ACTIVE version. keep in mind not alot of cases are made for the active verion and i use none but if cost is an issue and you need the water proof aspect.

matt9112

It really is just uncomfortable, especially when one's shoes get wet. I like water rides at times, especially when it's hot, but Pirates has never been a "wet" ride and should never be a "wet" ride. People should not have protect their cameras and etc... on this ride. The frustrating thing is that it seems that this is just because of the new boats and never something that the imagineers intended to change about the ride.

im not arguing your point i assure you but your camera has no case? surely your not using it while on the ride :mad: we rode pop-eyes bilge rafts and that is the definition of getting wet. makes kali river rapids look like a dry ride. i put my camera in the case in the center area and it was ok. on all of the Disney rides including kahli and splash ect i would have the camera in a case on my arm (it has a band) granted we just have a nice travel zoom if you have SLR stuff its much bigger but than again how can you enjoy the park if your being the next Spielberg? =P your point on shoes is valid but no Disney ride ever soaked mine.

matt9112

I agree about the screens being annoying, but my biggest gripe is that I don't like getting super wet and having to walk around wet the rest of the day. Many people here clearly feel the same way.

side note wonder if disney will ever roll out the locker based rules universal uses.

NearTheEars

image.jpeg

Just got off the ride. Since my first experience with POTC was in 2010, it was awesome to see it after this refurbishment. What a difference. So many things moved, or at least more fluently than I had ever seen before.

Obviously the boats are still an issue. The folks in the front row came off rather wet, front of their shirts and all.

Boat had plenty of standing water. Above is a photo from row 5. Enough water in the boat to get a clear reflection of the light up in the ceiling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom