Tipping is this fair ?

Stevie Amsterdam

You can say that all you want(and in a perfect world that is how it should be), but that's not how it is. By not tipping, you are not "sticking it to the employer", you are cheating the server. The laws of the nation would need to change in order to put this into affect. Anyone who feels this way should lobby their congressmen to get the laws change. But do not go out to eat and cheat the server who is trying to make a living.
I'm not sure if this is addressed to me but since you quoted my post... I did not say 'stick it to the employer by not tipping'. That's a very strange interpretation of what I was trying to say. And fwiw, I am the last person who thinks we should cheat our waiters - I think the base pay should be raised.

Stevie Amsterdam

I can understand and even agree that it would be better to pay servers a higher base pay and make the tip more of just a small incentive. However when you walk in and are seated in an American table service restaurant you are essentially agreeing to this practice by patronizing that restaurant. I don't understand why people feel that it's okay to force their opinion on how a restaurant should operate in another country by circumventing the established general standards. If I went to Europe ate at a restaurant and then demanded the manager significantly adjust the servers pay based on the service I received simply because this is the way it is done in my country and I think it makes more sense, this would not go over very well. Unfortunately I think the real issue is some people just don't want to pay the extra money and use this justification to cheat the servers and not feel bad about it, sorry you don't get a pass just because of this. If you truly want to change the system simply do not patronize table service restaurants. The reality is if a restaurant in America did what you want it would go out of business. Things are slowly shifting a little though as the fast casual concept seems to be growing. I think it's also important to think about future visitors from your country and how they will consequently be treated. If a server has several tables and is very busy odds are very good that if one of those tables the guests speak with an english accent they will be the lowest priority for that server. It's an unfortunate perception but it's a common sense business move on the servers part, they are going to put more work and effort into the tables that are going to pay well.
I spoke about my beliefs in terms of shifting who is responsible for the wage of waiters. I certainly didn't mean to force my opinion on any restaurant; like I said when I'm abroad I follow local customs and procedures. But hey, since this is a discussion forum, I'm allowed to voice (voice, not force) my opinion right? ;)

s8film40

I spoke about my beliefs in terms of shifting who is responsible for the wage of waiters. I certainly didn't mean to force my opinion on any restaurant; like I said when I'm abroad I follow local customs and procedures. But hey, since this is a discussion forum, I'm allowed to voice (voice, not force) my opinion right? ;)
I was referring to people who like the OP suggested go into a restaurant and because tipping in many cases is voluntary go outside of the local standard practices and force their viewpoint of what the employees should be paid by not paying them. My main point is that if you don't like that system the best way to voice that opinion is simply to not patronize those businesses. Forcing the situation only makes things worse, by creating mandatory tips included on bills for example which is becoming more and more common.

Stevie Amsterdam

I was referring to people who like the OP suggested go into a restaurant and because tipping in many cases is voluntary go outside of the local standard practices and force their viewpoint of what the employees should be paid by not paying them. My main point is that if you don't like that system the best way to voice that opinion is simply to not patronize those businesses. Forcing the situation only makes things worse, by creating mandatory tips included on bills for example which is becoming more and more common.
Thanks, and I fully agree with you. Force is never the answer (unless it's Star Wars ;))

Great post.... If you can't afford to leave 15-20% tip, go to a cheaper place.... The burger vs filet argument holds no weight.... If you can't afford to tip on the filet get the burger...
Man, i cant accept that you cant buy a $40 Filet unless you have $48 in your pocket. Isnt that unfair on someone like me who is on minimum wage myself?

Im getting out of this one. I cant see how us Brits will ever grasp that "Voluntary" means "Compulsary" to some people. My last word is Ive always tipped and will continue to do so

s8film40

Man, i cant accept that you cant buy a $40 Filet unless you have $48 in your pocket. Isnt that unfair on someone like me who is on minimum wage myself?
Walk into the restaurant order it to go. its generally acceptable to not tip on to go orders. If your in a park or a resort just carry it over to a quick service location to eat it.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Im getting out of this one. I cant see how us Brits will ever grasp that "Voluntary" means "Compulsary" to some people. My last word is Ive always tipped and will continue to do so
It's not compulsary. But it is custom. In Britain, you have Bank Holidays. We Americans have a tough time understanding a holiday that celebrates/commemorates nothing except for a desire to have a day off. But that's a tangent.

As for tipping, the economics of the situation is that if tipping wasn't the custom in the US, that $40 filet would be priced at $48 on the menu, because the restaurant would need to pay its employees the full value of their services, instead of knowing that the customer would pick up part of it directly, and the restaurant would therefore raise its prices.

s8film40

Just because something is voluntary doesn't mean it isn't socially unacceptable not to. To go a step further though there are many restaurants that are moving to make tipping compulsory it's becoming custom for larger parties (sometimes only 5 or 6 people) to have the 18% automatically added on and in some cases some restaurants add it on for every single check. This is of course in response to people not tipping. If a waiter gets burned enough they move on to something else and it becomes difficult for the restaurant operator to continue to hire quality people.

The Mom

Premium Member
It's not compulsary. But it is custom. In Britain, you have Bank Holidays. We Americans have a tough time understanding a holiday that celebrates/commemorates nothing except for a desire to have a day off. But that's a tangent.

As for tipping, the economics of the situation is that if tipping wasn't the custom in the US, that $40 filet would be priced at $48 on the menu, because the restaurant would need to pay its employees the full value of their services, instead of knowing that the customer would pick up part of it directly, and the restaurant would therefore raise its prices.

Exactly. Just got back from the UK. I didn't complain about the high prices in restaurants because I know that no (or just a minimal) tip is expected. It evens out in the end. But....more and more places are starting to request tips by writing "no tip or service charge" included. And tip jars are appearing more frequently.

s8film40

But....more and more places are starting to request tips by writing "no tip or service charge" included. And tip jars are appearing more frequently.
This is one thing that I am noticing here with some quick service places and it kind of bugs me. If I'm sitting in a restaurant and a waiter is serving me I understand tipping is customary, but if I walk up to the counter and order even if they bring the food out to the table I don't they should expect me to tip.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Important also is that in the US often tips are shared. They are split and the backwaiter as well as bus person get some of that till as well. A waiter or waitress does not keep the entire tip, often there are tip-out rules

So what.. the concept of tipping out the other staff was there when the standard was 15% as well. That's not new, and not a reason to increase the %.

s8film40

So what.. the concept of tipping out the other staff was there when the standard was 15% as well. That's not new, and not a reason to increase the %.
I think it's safe to say that most servers are very happy with 15%. It's the people who don't tip at all or tip considerably under 15% that are the problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom