Tipping is this fair ?

Tony the Tigger

Regarding bad service @ Ohana's. I recommend an immediate chat with your server, if they want a 20% tip they need to start hopin NOW. Your paying good money to eat there. This has worked for me in the past there and I've never had to go to the next level or go into a full Donald Duck angry customer mode. ;)

What did you say to them?

DfromATX

We were at Ohana's last year & the server while a nice person was NOT attentive & kept disappearing. Rather than stew, we took him to the side when he reappeared. Told him he would get a 20% tip if he a did a 180 on his level of service to our table, otherwise he would get lesser tip & a formal complaint to the manager on duty. Frankly when your paying $100+ at WDW that's not an unfair stance to take. The server did a 180 in service & got the 20% tip!

I can't help but wonder if you also got some unknown surprises in your food.

DaGoof00

Thanks for your comments they in my experience are what the majority of people feel .

As you say servers are not paid a living wage in their basic but you must agree with tips even at a level I think is fair, they make more than a decent take home pay .

Paying a % of the wine I could never agree to if I spend $50 on wine its the same work as a $200 bottle (there is no extra knowledge required )

Staff in Europe live on their basic, tips are not expected and mostly not declared .

A four cover bill at at signature restaurant with wine may cost around $350, tip would be around $70 I wish I could make that per table for an evenings work on top of basic. So I think my $15 to $25 is more than fair for less than two hours work not forgetting the server would be getting the same from other tables. I don't think in my case its about being able to pay that amount of tip, its that 15 to 20 % is too much on large bills .

I think you not dining at at signature restaurant because of the tipping norm is a pity I'm sure that's not what any staff or management would want . I do respect your selflessness but I would rather enjoy my meal and pay what I consider to be a more than fair tip .

It is not my intention to pick on or upset you or anyone else and I do value your comments and the above are just my opinion's

As you point out this is based on a European model, and while in Europe i'd be happy to go based off of European customs... while in this country I think what is fair is for you to go based off of the customs here. You point out wanting to be fair - this is as fair as it gets. Period...
If I was in Europe and didn't follow customs there, it would be considered rude - same applies here. Customary tipping at restaurants in the U.S. is 15-20 percent of the bill depending on service - that is what should be followed.

BrianV

As you point out this is based on a European model, and while in Europe i'd be happy to go based off of European customs... while in this country I think what is fair is for you to go based off of the customs here. You point out wanting to be fair - this is as fair as it gets. Period...
If I was in Europe and didn't follow customs there, it would be considered rude - same applies here. Customary tipping at restaurants in the U.S. is 15-20 percent of the bill depending on service - that is what should be followed.
And with that, which is totally on target, we should now close this thread!

s8film40

There are actually now several options available in the area that use a no tip required model. Pei Wei and Shula Burger are two great examples. For those who don't believe in or like tipping these and other similar places are really great options.

Weather_Lady

LOL - I had the same thought. Not defending the server's initial lack of attention, but as a rule, it's always best not to be b*tchy and condescending to people who are in charge of your food.

I didn't think it sounded that way -- I thought the poster was being kind to take the person aside (presumably so as not to embarrass them) and explain that their tip was in danger.

I have heard enough horror stories about what goes on in restaurant kitchens, though, to worry about what comes to the table in such cases...

s8film40

You order from the counter at Pei Wei. Why would anyone ever tip there?
You order at the counter but a server brings the food out and comes by periodically to offer additional assistance. The whole fast casual thing offers something in between quick service and full table service. For those who don't like the idea of tipping this is a good compromise and certainly with this catching on there is more variety out there beyond just burgers now.

HRHPrincessAriel

You order at the counter but a server brings the food out and comes by periodically to offer additional assistance. The whole fast casual thing offers something in between quick service and full table service. For those who don't like the idea of tipping this is a good compromise and certainly with this catching on there is more variety out there beyond just burgers now.
Not at my pei Wei...a runner brings it to you. I've never had another person come by.

s8film40

Not at my pei Wei...a runner brings it to you. I've never had another person come by.
I guess in my area they seem to be moving more in that direction. In fact my last trip to Pollo Tropical after bringing my food somone came by my table twice to offer drink refills and then again towards the end to clear some plates. I have table service meals with less service than some of my recent fast casual trips.

BuddyThomas

So here is a check from my Times Square dinner tonight:
check.JPG

For those of you who say that the waiter dare not circle "tip not included", what say you about this? a color sticker on the check? Don't you understand that in tourist areas such as Times Square and Disney, there are those who are not aware of the tipping culture in the USA?

Tonight I sat next to two lovely Latin ladies, but when they got their check, they didn't realize they also had to address the tip, and the only thing that called their attention to it was the sticker on the check.

I have no idea what they ultimately ended up tipping, but they discussed it for a long time, and the waiter didn't seem upset when he picked up the check.

s8film40

So here is a check from my Times Square dinner tonight:
View attachment 128104
For those of you who say that the waiter dare not circle "tip not included", what say you about this? a color sticker on the check? Don't you understand that in tourist areas such as Times Square and Disney, there are those who are not aware of the tipping culture in the USA?

Tonight I sat next to two lovely Latin ladies, but when they got their check, they didn't realize they also had to address the tip, and the only thing that called their attention to it was the sticker on the check.

I have no idea what they ultimately ended up tipping, but they discussed it for a long time, and the waiter didn't seem upset when he picked up the check.
I completely understand why people do this, but if it were me personally as the waiter I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this. Many people get offended when they are outright told to tip and you run the risk of losing out on a tip from someone who would have potentially given one. The way I see it someone who didn't take the time to educate themselves on the customs of the country they are traveling to likely won't respect the customs anyway. I would guess the net result of this is pretty similar to if they didn't do it, the gains balance out the losses.

On another note BBQ in New York doesn't sound like a good idea.:eek:

BuddyThomas

I completely understand why people do this, but if it were me personally as the waiter I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this. Many people get offended when they are outright told to tip and you run the risk of losing out on a tip from someone who would have potentially given one. The way I see it someone who didn't take the time to educate themselves on the customs of the country they are traveling to likely won't respect the customs anyway. I would guess the net result of this is pretty similar to if they didn't do it, the gains balance out the losses.

Two things.

1. The waiters at these restaurants do not individually decide to call attention to this....it is policy....and if it were not, every waiter would go home with about five cents in their pocket at the end of the night. Foreign tourists do NOT tip. As a matter of fact, after 9PM, every table is charged with an automatic tip, regardless of size. And believe me, if not, every waiter would go home with nothing whatsoever.

2. BBQ in New York - You could do worse - this place had been around for many years and offers very good food at low prices - http://www.dallasbbq.com/ (In full disclosure - I was a waiter there in my 20's, but I otherwise have nothing to do with them, except for being an occasional customer).

Tony the Tigger

That was just all kinds of wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom