Trip Report Live Trip Reporting June 27 to July 8, 2015

Hello All!

Here we are in the World...which means it is time for me to start up the Live trip reporting. If you have followed along with us before, Welcome Back! If this is your first Brifraz trip report welcome along for the ride. I try to post each day of our trip with at least a couple pictures. Mainly fun and frivolity, but also the occasional newsworthy item and a piece here or there of personal opinion.

There are three of us in the Brifraz team, myself, my wife, and our 11 year old daughter. As you can see by my signature below, we have made quite a few trips to the World. My wife and I are both high school teachers, so our trips are almost always summer, Christmas, or Spring Break. This will be our second 4th of July week in a row. If you want to read about last year, see the aforementioned signature. Also, if you want the 'pre-game' for this trip, see here.

So, yesterday, we set out from the house at 6:45pm and this morning, we pulled into the resort right around 10:15am. About 13.5 hours of driving and 2 hours of breaks. What does that mean? It's nap time! But since I doubt you want to read about us falling sound asleep in our hotel room, here's what has happened so far.

We arrived at 10:15am at which time we surprised our daughter with the news that we would be spending one night at Art of Animation. In fact, she hadn't expected us to leave until this morning, but you can read about all that in the pre-trip if you want. Check in was quick and easy and our CM, Doug, was exceptional.

After check-in, we went right to our room on the top floor of the Little Mermaid building 7. This being our first time here, we are quite impressed with the room. Very nice and a little more spacious than I was expecting. Had a little trouble with some magic bands that weren't activated, but once that got resolved (over the phone - our daughter's worked so we could get in the room, but ours didn't) we changed into swimwear and toured the resort grounds before hitting the pool. The theming here is great. We have been to All-Stars before and find this MUCH more satisfying. That being said, we are quite spoiled by our DVC at Old Key West and the crowded-ness and noise level here is not nearly so relaxing as over there.

Once we had explored the buildings, it was pool time. After some chair searching (OK, a lot of searching...) we found a spot to stow our stuff and hit the pool.

Love the fact that every sign in the area is done with the silver fish from Finding Nemo. Our daughter loved the music playing underwater. Hate the fact that towels are not readily available. Evidently they are first thing in the morning, but otherwise you have to get them at the front desk. Oh well, air drying was fine for us. After a bit of playing, a storm started to roll in, so it was out of the pool. It did allow for a nice picture of an empty Big Blue Pool.

We headed into Landscape of Flavors and got some lunch. My wife had a burger (not sure what all was topping it) and my daughter and I split the make-your-own pasta - spaghetti with alfredo, chicken, garlic, and parmesan. I was pretty happy with the size of the portion and the three of us all got enough to eat from just the two meals. If you are going to visit, please note that they accept Tables in Wonderland there since they don't have a table service restaurant in the resort. Can't beat 20% savings!

After this bit of rest, we are thinking of going over to Studios for a quick Frozen-themed visit (sing along and fireworks). I am a bit Frozen-ed out, but our daughter is still pretty obsessive about it. If you want to read more about that check out last summer's trip when we did the opening night of the Frozen package at DHS.

If I can, I'll update on the evening tonight. If not, we will be heading to Universal tomorrow for IOA (but not Potter, yet) and will update after that!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
As we drove on I4, I had gotten a message on my phone from Wolfgang Puck's about our dinner reservation. Turns out, they booked the entire dining room for a private party and decided to notify us THE DAY OF the reservation. Little frustrated by that, but they said they would cancel it and gave us a reservation for another night. Problem was...they didn't cancel it right away, so we couldn't book anything else without having to pay the $10 late cancel fee online, so we planned to find something at DTD and deal with it later... Back to Disney property after a quick visit to the grocery store (the essentials - eggs, butter, daiquiri mix). At check-in at OKW, we decided to avoid any Magicband issues and brought ALL of them in with us to get them set-up right (we have 6 each). Our CM was great and made sure everything was good - and also checked the ticket info that had been an issue yesterday. Our room was already set, so we moved in and got all unpacked before catching the boat to Downtown Disney.

I love the boat from OKW to Downtown Disney. It makes me feel like I'm really on vacation (at least until I see the half torn down Adventurer's Club and cry a little). Once at DTD, we walked and shopped from West Side to Marketplace just window shopping and looking for an Ipod case for our daughter. Came to find out that they have discontinued making Ipod cases for Disney. Bummer. Around 5:45pm and we wanted something to eat. (forgot to mention that on the boat ride at 4:30pm, my wife checked and our reservation still wasn't cancelled, so now we were just hoping to find a table at a place we liked...) So, we headed to Raglan Road. 45 minute wait. But, we do like it there, so we decided to wait. Worst part was, back on the I4 drive in the afternoon, we had checked Raglan and they had open times. Thanks a lot, Mr. Puck! Then, as we sat and waited, the Wolfgang Puck reservation finally disappeared (after the time it was supposed to happen anyway). About 15 minutes into our wait, I saw three seats open at the bar so we decided to eat there. There is a tradition in the Brifraz family of pictures of our drinks and my wife's and my house brews (Raglan Stout and IPA) somehow got photo bombed by our daughter's lemonade.

My wife had the Shepherd's Pie, I had the Cashel Castle salad, and our daughter had a burger. All great as usual. And the entertainment there is always quite enjoyable. After dinner, we had promised a visit to the new Gelato place.

The girls had coffee/chocolate and mango/cream and loved them enough that I barely managed to steal a bite! After the walk back to the dock, we were on our way back to Old Key West.

Back 'home' again, we visited with an old friend who I haven't seen in likely about 20 years, but have known since going to camp together in Middle and High school. They are also DVC, so it was fun to catch up for a bit at the pool before heading back to our room. And...well, that brings us up to now. The girls have fallen asleep while I've been typing and I think it is high time that I headed that route as well.

Tomorrow, our daughter starts soccer camp and we get some adult time followed by a late afternoon Epcot visit. See you soon!

FlaggNL

Love live reports! Thanks for sharing and seems that you have a more than marvelous time! We are almost hitting the 100 mark until that passed we have to fullfill our desires with TR's as yours! Following along!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Going to keep checking, fingers crossed! Have a magical trip :inlove:

So far, so good! Thanks.

Joining the fun!

Welcome aboard!

Following along. Looks like you're having an amazing time so far! Love the fireworks pics! :)

Can't take credit for those FW pics, they were taken by my wife with her iPhone 6. As per usual, I forgot my tripod, but I will still work to get some good ones with the Nikon.

So happy you were able to pull off he surprise for your daughter! You guys have already packed in a lot of fun! It's awesome that you were able to hit 3 headliners at HS and all with FP+. Excited to he following a love report. Have fun today!

We've gotten quite lucky so far (although the waiting for APs to get set up right was a little annoying, the FP+ sure saved some time!)

Thanks for doing a live TR! So nice to live vicariously through you ,hope you are having the best time ever.
I'm in! Can't wait to follow along again this year!

Thanks for joining in. We will definitely have the best time ever.

It's a small world! Checked in yesterday at 10:00 am to AoA after a 15 hour drive. Little Mermaid building 7, 1st floor. We also booked with online hotel website for discount. Good hotel for a couple of nights before moving to our favorite stomping ground, Wilderness Lodge. My little guy loved the big blue Nemo pool.

Oh! We also had magic band issues. They had problems attaching the room to our bands when our APs on them.

Very small world indeed! Our theory is that when we linked the hotel website booking to our MDE things didn't want to agree, so only the first thing listed on MDE got linked to our room....maybe?

Hope you had an awesome day at Uni! Happily following along. Great pics!
Looking forward to today's update!

Hope you enjoyed the pics. IOA was quite enjoyable and the lines very surprisingly manageable! Getting through all of IOA (yes, we skipped a few things) by 2pm was quite a shock.

Enjoy EPCOT!

And...away we go to soccer camp registration/check-in and then (after a brief off site trip to a store of convenience) to Epcot! Looking forward to seeing Carl at Rose and Crown.

sheriffwoody

Love the report! So sweet that you guys surprised your daughter with AoA :) The fireworks shot with the theater looks amazing!! I haven't gotten to go yet since they took the hat down, but I have loved the view in photos!

Looking forward to reading more of your adventures.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I hope you'll give us some info on your OKW Villa location, balcony view, etc..

No problem! We are currently just back from our day of soccer and Epcot and I'm working on the evening update, but a short trip to the pool is about to happen, so I thought I'd answer the OKW question. First a disclaimer - we have DVC at Old Key West and have stayed here at least ten times. Most times we are in a studio, but we have once done a 2 bedroom and twice been in a 1 bedroom. This time is in a studio - building #33, room 3320. As with all the studios at OKW, the great advantage is size. They are so much more comfortable than any other studio. It's only a couple more square feet, but it really makes a difference! The studio balconies are small - with just space for two plastic chairs and a small table, but that's really all you need. This building faces one of the small lake/ponds that line the fairways of the golf course. It is very shaded, so you can't see much of the golf course. As with most of the studio units, this can also be part of a two bedroom, which means the balcony almost faces the window of the main room of a one bedroom. Not ideal, but not an issue.

Over the years we have stayed just about everywhere in OKW. We used to ask for Hospitality House area for pool convenience, but more recently we have liked the Turtle Pond area and are quite happy to be close to the quiet pool there (and the snack bar, bbq pits, and laundry).

And, yes, I would gladly advertise for OKW! Report on Epcot coming later tonight.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 3 is in the books. Another good day. After the early morning wake-up, we dropped off our daughter at Soccer Camp (and got the intro speech) and then left site for a little bit to pick up some things and bring them back to the room. Around 11am we were at Epcot and headed for our favorite watering hole, the Rose and Crown. As usual, that meant being greeted with a smile and great conversation and a couple of pints with the mayor of Epcot, Carl.

He is quite the impressive bartender.

While there, we met up with my cousin and his family. They only live an hour or so away, but here at Epcot, 900+ miles from our homes, is where we meet up for a few drinks! A good time was had by all - especially because it was pouring outside and the pub was nice and dry. We stuck around and were social until about 2pm and then it was time to pick up our daughter. Since it had been raining, the camp had moved inside the WWoS stadium and the kids were playing numerous inside games. Big perk for our daughter was getting to meet English international player, Bobbie Zamora. We are all big EPL fans and have watched him play for a few different teams over the years. Our daughter convince him to take a selfie with her!

Tomorrow, Marcelo, Brazilian international player and Real Madrid team member will be there, so I think my wife might be staying at the soccer camp all day!

Now that our team was back to full strength, it was back to Epcot. Today's target was Future World West. We started with Nemo and visiting with the dolphins and manatees (OK, so we just stood outside their houses and creepily looked in the windows at them). Then over to the Land for Living With The Land (perhaps my favorite Disney ride). My wife got a good shot of the lettuce which was in full Mickey and Epcot bloom.

Then time to hit our FP+ for Soarin' followed by Imagination. Each time we go to Epcot, we do Imagination in the hopes that it will be the last time we do it before it gets redone or restored to its former self - I really don't like the current incarnation... Even though we saw the movie last weekend, we went to Magic Eye Theater and caught the Inside Out preview - fun to see a 10 minute clip and have a few lighting and wind effects added in. Also liked the Inside Out garden (and had a little fun with the panoramic feature).

We then checked the wait for Sum of All Thrills and promptly decided not to do it. Over to Spaceship Earth for a ride and our evening at Epcot wrapped up with a visit to the Character Spot. My wife's dress was a big hit with Mickey and Goofy, but the best moments were with Minnie.

Back at Old Key West, we decided that maybe an hour at the pool would be a good thing, so we went to the main pool (daughter wanted to do the water slide a few times) and managed to get there in time for some marshmallows grilled over the fire pit. After some swimming, back to the room, and...well, that's now. Good night all!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom