Trip Report Live Trip Reporting June 27 to July 8, 2015

Hello All!

Here we are in the World...which means it is time for me to start up the Live trip reporting. If you have followed along with us before, Welcome Back! If this is your first Brifraz trip report welcome along for the ride. I try to post each day of our trip with at least a couple pictures. Mainly fun and frivolity, but also the occasional newsworthy item and a piece here or there of personal opinion.

There are three of us in the Brifraz team, myself, my wife, and our 11 year old daughter. As you can see by my signature below, we have made quite a few trips to the World. My wife and I are both high school teachers, so our trips are almost always summer, Christmas, or Spring Break. This will be our second 4th of July week in a row. If you want to read about last year, see the aforementioned signature. Also, if you want the 'pre-game' for this trip, see here.

So, yesterday, we set out from the house at 6:45pm and this morning, we pulled into the resort right around 10:15am. About 13.5 hours of driving and 2 hours of breaks. What does that mean? It's nap time! But since I doubt you want to read about us falling sound asleep in our hotel room, here's what has happened so far.

We arrived at 10:15am at which time we surprised our daughter with the news that we would be spending one night at Art of Animation. In fact, she hadn't expected us to leave until this morning, but you can read about all that in the pre-trip if you want. Check in was quick and easy and our CM, Doug, was exceptional.

After check-in, we went right to our room on the top floor of the Little Mermaid building 7. This being our first time here, we are quite impressed with the room. Very nice and a little more spacious than I was expecting. Had a little trouble with some magic bands that weren't activated, but once that got resolved (over the phone - our daughter's worked so we could get in the room, but ours didn't) we changed into swimwear and toured the resort grounds before hitting the pool. The theming here is great. We have been to All-Stars before and find this MUCH more satisfying. That being said, we are quite spoiled by our DVC at Old Key West and the crowded-ness and noise level here is not nearly so relaxing as over there.

Once we had explored the buildings, it was pool time. After some chair searching (OK, a lot of searching...) we found a spot to stow our stuff and hit the pool.

Love the fact that every sign in the area is done with the silver fish from Finding Nemo. Our daughter loved the music playing underwater. Hate the fact that towels are not readily available. Evidently they are first thing in the morning, but otherwise you have to get them at the front desk. Oh well, air drying was fine for us. After a bit of playing, a storm started to roll in, so it was out of the pool. It did allow for a nice picture of an empty Big Blue Pool.

We headed into Landscape of Flavors and got some lunch. My wife had a burger (not sure what all was topping it) and my daughter and I split the make-your-own pasta - spaghetti with alfredo, chicken, garlic, and parmesan. I was pretty happy with the size of the portion and the three of us all got enough to eat from just the two meals. If you are going to visit, please note that they accept Tables in Wonderland there since they don't have a table service restaurant in the resort. Can't beat 20% savings!

After this bit of rest, we are thinking of going over to Studios for a quick Frozen-themed visit (sing along and fireworks). I am a bit Frozen-ed out, but our daughter is still pretty obsessive about it. If you want to read more about that check out last summer's trip when we did the opening night of the Frozen package at DHS.

If I can, I'll update on the evening tonight. If not, we will be heading to Universal tomorrow for IOA (but not Potter, yet) and will update after that!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Your daughter must be so excited to be at AoA! Following along!

She screamed for a little bit when we turned in. Very excited! And loved the pool and Landscape of Flavors.

Love live reports! Following along too :joyfull:

Thanks!

Looking forward to your adventures in WDW.

So are we - we've only just begun...

This isn't helping my depression over not getting AoA! Looks adorable, following along :happy:

Sorry about that! We lucked into it. When we started looking into adding a night there, nothing was available on the Disney site or through DVC, but hotels.com had rooms and at a pretty good discount.

here we go!

Thanks to all for following. My wife got a good hour plus nap, I got about 30 minutes and our daughter only just now finally fell asleep, so we are delaying our visit to Studios until around 6pm. This is par for the course. We'll wake her up in about 30 and hope that she is re-energized!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
10:53pm and back in the room. Both girls are already fast asleep and I know I need to get there soon. Wake-up is set for 7am so we can get ourselves over to Universal.

So, about 5:45pm we headed to the main lobby of AoA because during the lazy afternoon, our daughter had done a sketch of Ariel and Jasmine for a sketch contest they hold each day here. She did not win, but did get a future animator certificate. Then we drove over to Hollywood Studios. We were quite happy to find that they were filling in empty parking spaces, so we ended up in the third row. It was then a short walk to Guest Services to get our Annual Passes activated. Since they were DVC, we had to get that done in person. Of course, there were some issues...somehow they got in the system as renewals of our last passes which meant that they were going to expire in a couple weeks. NO! That won't work. So, after about 10-15 minutes of computering, the CM got things worked out (we hope). To thank us for not getting crazy and being very patient, we got a couple free FP+. So, at 7pm we headed into the park and started with Toy Story Midway Mania (which we had FP+ booked for) and then hit Tower of Terror and Rockin' Roller Coaster (which were the thanks FP+s). It was quite nice to hit those headliners all in one fell swoop...although, my stomach did a bit of swooping after those three in a row. Here we are getting ready for RRC.

Our plan had been to go do the Frozen sing along at this point, but hunger won out over that and we decided to book it for another afternoon. For dinner, we had discussed different counter service options, but instead decided to head to the Tune-In Lounge that is attached to 50's Prime Time. Great deal! Three seats at the bar and the full menu. Great service and company as well.

We then headed to the street in front of Grauman's (yay, no big Hat!) for the Frozen fireworks. Chatted with two very nice families on either side of us while waiting about 20 minutes for them to start. Here are a couple shots from my wife's iPhone. I haven't gone through the pics from my Nikon, yet, but since I didn't know the show that well, my timing left something to be desired.

And I just love that THIS is what frames those pictures, NOT the big hat.

By 10pm we were out of the park and coming back to...

And now...sleep!

LisaBelle

So happy you were able to pull off he surprise for your daughter! You guys have already packed in a lot of fun! It's awesome that you were able to hit 3 headliners at HS and all with FP+. Excited to he following a love report. Have fun today!

12in12

Thanks for doing a live TR! So nice to live vicariously through you ,hope you are having the best time ever.

Last edited:

wvdisneyfamily

Hello All!

Here we are in the World...which means it is time for me to start up the Live trip reporting. If you have followed along with us before, Welcome Back! If this is your first Brifraz trip report welcome along for the ride. I try to post each day of our trip with at least a couple pictures. Mainly fun and frivolity, but also the occasional newsworthy item and a piece here or there of personal opinion.

There are three of us in the Brifraz team, myself, my wife, and our 11 year old daughter. As you can see by my signature below, we have made quite a few trips to the World. My wife and I are both high school teachers, so our trips are almost always summer, Christmas, or Spring Break. This will be our second 4th of July week in a row. If you want to read about last year, see the aforementioned signature. Also, if you want the 'pre-game' for this trip, see here.

So, yesterday, we set out from the house at 6:45pm and this morning, we pulled into the resort right around 10:15am. About 13.5 hours of driving and 2 hours of breaks. What does that mean? It's nap time! But since I doubt you want to read about us falling sound asleep in our hotel room, here's what has happened so far.

We arrived at 10:15am at which time we surprised our daughter with the news that we would be spending one night at Art of Animation. In fact, she hadn't expected us to leave until this morning, but you can read about all that in the pre-trip if you want. Check in was quick and easy and our CM, Doug, was exceptional.

After check-in, we went right to our room on the top floor of the Little Mermaid building 7. This being our first time here, we are quite impressed with the room. Very nice and a little more spacious than I was expecting. Had a little trouble with some magic bands that weren't activated, but once that got resolved (over the phone - our daughter's worked so we could get in the room, but ours didn't) we changed into swimwear and toured the resort grounds before hitting the pool. The theming here is great. We have been to All-Stars before and find this MUCH more satisfying. That being said, we are quite spoiled by our DVC at Old Key West and the crowded-ness and noise level here is not nearly so relaxing as over there.

Once we had explored the buildings, it was pool time. After some chair searching (OK, a lot of searching...) we found a spot to stow our stuff and hit the pool.

Love the fact that every sign in the area is done with the silver fish from Finding Nemo. Our daughter loved the music playing underwater. Hate the fact that towels are not readily available. Evidently they are first thing in the morning, but otherwise you have to get them at the front desk. Oh well, air drying was fine for us. After a bit of playing, a storm started to roll in, so it was out of the pool. It did allow for a nice picture of an empty Big Blue Pool.

We headed into Landscape of Flavors and got some lunch. My wife had a burger (not sure what all was topping it) and my daughter and I split the make-your-own pasta - spaghetti with alfredo, chicken, garlic, and parmesan. I was pretty happy with the size of the portion and the three of us all got enough to eat from just the two meals. If you are going to visit, please note that they accept Tables in Wonderland there since they don't have a table service restaurant in the resort. Can't beat 20% savings!

After this bit of rest, we are thinking of going over to Studios for a quick Frozen-themed visit (sing along and fireworks). I am a bit Frozen-ed out, but our daughter is still pretty obsessive about it. If you want to read more about that check out last summer's trip when we did the opening night of the Frozen package at DHS.

If I can, I'll update on the evening tonight. If not, we will be heading to Universal tomorrow for IOA (but not Potter, yet) and will update after that!

It's a small world! Checked in yesterday at 10:00 am to AoA after a 15 hour drive. Little Mermaid building 7, 1st floor. We also booked with online hotel website for discount. Good hotel for a couple of nights before moving to our favorite stomping ground, Wilderness Lodge. My little guy loved the big blue Nemo pool.

Oh! We also had magic band issues. They had problems attaching the room to our bands when our APs on them.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hello! Here we are. Day 2 in the bag. A little after 9:30pm and we are back in our nice room at Old Key West getting ready for much needed rest. Today was a great, but long, day - and someone needs to be awake and ready to play 6 hours of soccer tomorrow in 90+ degree heat!

So, today's wrap up starts with an early morning at Art of Animation. Even thought we planned to sleep in until 7am (crazy, huh?), we were all up around 6:30pm! Got cleaned, dressed, and packed up...loaded the car, then over to Landscape of Flavors for a little breakfast before heading to Uni. My wife and I split a breakfast platter (always more than enough for two) and our daughter enjoyed these little babies (reference to tomorrow's FP+ fully inteded).

Full of food, we hit I4 and headed to Universal. Since our last visit was in 1999, quite a bit has changed. Starting with the parking garages! Yikes!! Once parked, we hiked (what is it, 2-3 miles) to Islands of Adventure and were in line at about 8:30am, ready to open the park at 9.

If you haven't read our Pre-trip, we were planning to do everything we could at IOA except Harry Potter today. So, our first stop was the Hulk coaster. They opened up a little early, so we actually managed to get our locker, waltz through the line, and ride the comic all before 9am. Nice! The girls loved the coaster (I'm not coaster guy, but anything for the family!) and then it was time for the next comic adventure, Spiderman. This was also a big hit with the girls, but not quite so much with my stomach. 16 years ago those two in a row was tough...and, it wasn't any better this time!! But, no worries, just took our time walking to the next adventure so my stomach would settle back down. Third ride of the morning was Dudley Do-Right. We knew that this one got you wet, but didn't expect all three of us to get totally soaked! Since we were already quite wet, Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges was up next...but it still wasn't 10am and it wasn't open, yet. Off to Jurassic Park! We just did the River Adventure, which we all enjoyed (we just saw Jurassic World last weekend) except for the fact that...we all got soaked even more. Fully drenched. That means it was NOW time for the Barges. Since our phones and my wallet still had dry spots, we got a locker this time. And that was a great idea because we were now soaked at an exponential level. But, fun was had by all!

It was only about 10:30am at this point and we headed to the other side of the Islands with the intent of passing through Hogsmeade to get to the Poseidon show at the Lost Continent. But....

The lure was too great. And, the line for Forbidden Journey was only 20 minutes. So, away we went. As you can see, someone was very excited about this. It's not like she has been talking about this visit for years and is planning to dress as Hermione for Halloween this year.

And it was quite lucky for us to go ahead in because as we entered, the skies opened up in a short, but heavy downpour. The clouds did give some nice lighting right before the rain!

Every single artifact in Hogwarts was thoroughly examined and enjoyed by our daughter. The ride itself - she liked, but doesn't really know if she will want to do it again. She found the spiders and dementors to be a bit more than she likes. I found the ride to be pretty impressive but my stomach absolutely hated that one - definitely not a repeat ride for me. By the time we exited, it was getting to lunch time and I really needed something in my stomach to absorb all the anger it was churning up, so over to the Three Broomsticks for lunch - not bad. Our daughter really loved the Butterbeer, and the fish and chips were pretty solid. After leaving lunch it was now time to visit Poseidon...but wait! The Dragon Challenge only has a 5 minute wait??? The girls were off again. I sat this one out (Hulk+Spidey+Forbidden = no more rides for me) but they both had a great time. Finally now we went to see the Poseidon show. Fun, but pretty darn cheesy. Then a short tour of Suess Landing was in order. I did agree to ride the train ride above the Suess scenes (yeah, that's right I'm too lazy to search for the name of it) and we spent an inordinate about of time enjoying everything in that area.

It was almost 2pm, but we had done pretty much ALL of Islands of Adventure that we wanted to do. Most excellent. This will make our other two days next week much easier to plan!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom