Trip Report Live Trip Reporting June 27 to July 8, 2015

Hello All!

Here we are in the World...which means it is time for me to start up the Live trip reporting. If you have followed along with us before, Welcome Back! If this is your first Brifraz trip report welcome along for the ride. I try to post each day of our trip with at least a couple pictures. Mainly fun and frivolity, but also the occasional newsworthy item and a piece here or there of personal opinion.

There are three of us in the Brifraz team, myself, my wife, and our 11 year old daughter. As you can see by my signature below, we have made quite a few trips to the World. My wife and I are both high school teachers, so our trips are almost always summer, Christmas, or Spring Break. This will be our second 4th of July week in a row. If you want to read about last year, see the aforementioned signature. Also, if you want the 'pre-game' for this trip, see here.

So, yesterday, we set out from the house at 6:45pm and this morning, we pulled into the resort right around 10:15am. About 13.5 hours of driving and 2 hours of breaks. What does that mean? It's nap time! But since I doubt you want to read about us falling sound asleep in our hotel room, here's what has happened so far.

We arrived at 10:15am at which time we surprised our daughter with the news that we would be spending one night at Art of Animation. In fact, she hadn't expected us to leave until this morning, but you can read about all that in the pre-trip if you want. Check in was quick and easy and our CM, Doug, was exceptional.

After check-in, we went right to our room on the top floor of the Little Mermaid building 7. This being our first time here, we are quite impressed with the room. Very nice and a little more spacious than I was expecting. Had a little trouble with some magic bands that weren't activated, but once that got resolved (over the phone - our daughter's worked so we could get in the room, but ours didn't) we changed into swimwear and toured the resort grounds before hitting the pool. The theming here is great. We have been to All-Stars before and find this MUCH more satisfying. That being said, we are quite spoiled by our DVC at Old Key West and the crowded-ness and noise level here is not nearly so relaxing as over there.

Once we had explored the buildings, it was pool time. After some chair searching (OK, a lot of searching...) we found a spot to stow our stuff and hit the pool.

Love the fact that every sign in the area is done with the silver fish from Finding Nemo. Our daughter loved the music playing underwater. Hate the fact that towels are not readily available. Evidently they are first thing in the morning, but otherwise you have to get them at the front desk. Oh well, air drying was fine for us. After a bit of playing, a storm started to roll in, so it was out of the pool. It did allow for a nice picture of an empty Big Blue Pool.

We headed into Landscape of Flavors and got some lunch. My wife had a burger (not sure what all was topping it) and my daughter and I split the make-your-own pasta - spaghetti with alfredo, chicken, garlic, and parmesan. I was pretty happy with the size of the portion and the three of us all got enough to eat from just the two meals. If you are going to visit, please note that they accept Tables in Wonderland there since they don't have a table service restaurant in the resort. Can't beat 20% savings!

After this bit of rest, we are thinking of going over to Studios for a quick Frozen-themed visit (sing along and fireworks). I am a bit Frozen-ed out, but our daughter is still pretty obsessive about it. If you want to read more about that check out last summer's trip when we did the opening night of the Frozen package at DHS.

If I can, I'll update on the evening tonight. If not, we will be heading to Universal tomorrow for IOA (but not Potter, yet) and will update after that!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
OK, Tuesday is in the books, friends. Long day as we are just back in the room getting ready to sleep at 10pm and as you saw earlier, we were at Epcot about 7:30am this morning. So, here's the recap!

Epcot at 7:40am and ready for an extremely brief Extra Magic Hours visit. Test Track was our only goal. And we did it, no problem. In at a couple minutes before 8am and out at 8:20am. Our daughter designed our car and went for ALL power. Funny and quite odd looking, but certainly not a winner in the game of Test Track. We left Epcot and took her to Soccer Camp, but since today was a celebrity day, we stuck around for some pictures. Not only did Marcelo visit the camp (all we expected), but he hung out with the kids (and his son) and played with them as well. Here's our daughter setting the defense with Enzo, his son.

After a goal, there were high fives all around. My daughter is only 11, but now she has done something that I have never done...high-fived with someone who has played in the World Cup. As a lifelong soccer fanatic, I am quite jealous!

Once we had our fill of watching (and Marcelo had moved on to another group at the camp), we headed to Downtown Disney to check things out at a relaxed pace. First off, getting in was a bit chaotic. Followed signs with the hope of parking at least somewhat near the Marketplace side, but the signs were misleading there aren't even any open lots that direction, so we ended up in the new garage. Not sure how we feel about the new garage... Disney and garages just shouldn't be a thing, but...our car was in the shade and there was no trouble finding parking whereas usually that is a serious chore at DTD. Here is a view of the construction from the garage. Lots going on, that is for sure.

We checked out a few shops and made a couple small purchases in addition to scouting out some meal possibilities for later in this or another trip, but then we saw this. And cried a little.

We will back on Thursday morning to check, but it looks like today might have been the very last day for the Adventurer's Club building. Quite sad. Workers were dismantling the steel roof structure. On at least three trips, the AC was a nightly visit and many memories that will last a lifetime were created in those rooms. As we dried our eyes, we headed back to OKW and went to the Gurgling Suitcase for a couple drinks and to get lunch. If you don't know already, they serve the entire Olivia's table service menu in the lounge and you can use your Tables in Wonderland card for discount. Good for us! Here's a little hello from our drinks (Turtle Krawl and Yeungling) and Roberto.

Once it got past 2pm, it was time to head back to pick up our daughter and from there we headed straight to Studios again. This time, we hit Writer's Stop for a snack and then explored a little and came across a new addition to the Streets of America. Direct from Once Upon a Time is Mr. Gold's Pawnshop, with windows packed with references to things from the show.

Time for our FP+ for Great Movie Ride. Not sure if we like the 'changes' to the ride courtesy of TCM. The pre-show was pretty dull (we were in line during the gangster section) and the voice over during the ride is less than exciting as well. It didn't help that we had some less than enthusiastic CM's for our ride. After that, we checked the wait for Star Tours and it was pretty short, so on we went. For those who keep track, we got Darth Vader, Hoth, Admiral Ackbar, and Coruscant, which was nice for us and I think we have only ever gotten Coruscant and Ackbar once before.

Then it was time for the girls to have fun and me to try to find a way to nap. It never works. Frozen sing-along. At least for over half of it, I can watch the CMs who play the Arendelle historians poking a little fun at the songs. But, my daughter absolutely loves it, so...

We then headed back to our room for some dinner - grilled cheese sandwiches made in the Mickey waffle maker. Awesome. The Women's World Cup semi-finals with the US were on, so we watched the first half from our room and the second half at the Gurgling Suitcase while our daughter played in the pool. With a 2-0 victory and some quality 'feeling like a big kid' time for our daughter, everyone came back to the room happy. And with that...good night to all and to all a good night.

Tomorrow should feature some more grown ups in Epcot time and Magic Kingdom (finally) in the afternoon with 1900 Park Fare dinner. See you then!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Good morning, all! Yesterday and last night, we decided that lots of plans for the next few days are changing! This is what always happens here. We plan extensively about 8 months out. We revise plans constantly until the weeks before arrival and then when we are here, we change plans again. And we love it, so here in the middle of the Live Trip Report is a little Pre-Trip report for a few days from now.

If you followed along with the pre-trip report you know that July 4th we were planning a FULL day at Epcot, starting with Akershus at 10:30am, followed by wandering and touring with the masses all afternoon with some mid-afternoon FP+. So, we have decided instead to go in for Akershus breakfast, but then leave Epcot and enjoy a bunch of the offerings at Old Key West for the 4th - Watermelon eating contest, character meet and greets, ice cream, etc. Then we will head back into Epcot early evening for Soarin' FP+ at 6pm, then maybe a little touring, but mainly getting a good spot for Illuminations with the 4th of July tag.

Similarly, July 5th which had been set to be a morning in Animal Kingdom, an afternoon in Studios, followed by Downtown Disney for dinner is now going to be AK, Studios (with all changed FP+) and early dinner at 50s Prime Time, then back to Old Key West for the Key Lime Festival with a pie eating contest, wine tasting, games and prizes...and watching the Women's World Cup final at the Gurgling Suitcase.

Also, since we did a lot more at Universal in our first day there on Sunday, we are in the process of revising our plans for the 6th and 7th at Universal. Maybe making them more of half days and adding some Disney FP+ for those evenings. Not sure yet about those changes.

See you later today! (maybe I'll try that in-park posting again)

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I change plans all the time. Sounds like there are lots of fun things going on at OKW. Makes sense to enjoy them.

Definitely excited about both days. Talked to Arlene at Gurgling Suitcase for a bit last night about the 5th of July plans. She is creating a new Key Lime cocktail to enjoy that day and there is a Key Lime wine tasting happening. Should be interesting!

Here's the events taking place both days at OKW.

micknminnie

Loving this trip report. We are staying at OKW for the first time in October. How is Good's to Go? Does it get crowded? We probably will be getting breakfast there on some mornings.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Loving this trip report. We are staying at OKW for the first time in October. How is Good's to Go? Does it get crowded? We probably will be getting breakfast there on some mornings.

Goods to Go is fine. It is what it is - a quick service counter with a pretty limited menu and picnic tables outside on the boardwalk. There really isn't a dining area per se, just tables outside with umbrellas. I have always found the food to be standard for quick service at Disney - maybe a little better than most resort quick services. There does get to be a bit of a line at times, but I don't ever recall being there when there were more than 3 or 4 in line. The food usually takes about 5-10 minutes if you are getting things cooked because they do prepare it on the spot. I've always been happy with breakfast things we have gotten there and the portions are pretty decent - we will share the breakfast platter and it will feed two of us a decent (but not huge) breakfast. If you have time and want to sit to eat, Olivia's almost always has tables available and is nice. Also, the Gurgling Suitcase bar is quite small, but will serve you the entire Olivia's menu if you ask!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Time for the Wednesday wrap up! Today doesn't have a great deal of excitement, but was still a good day all around. This morning, I took our daughter to soccer while my wife decided to run a few miles (she does run regularly and has done a couple half marathons plus the 10 miler at Disney a couple years ago) and enjoyed the calm and quiet of the path between OKW and Saratoga Springs.

When we had both gotten back to our room, we took our time getting ready for the day, but eventually found our way to the Boardwalk to just walk and shop a little and then over to the World Showcase again. Before the part that I know you are expecting by now, we did visit France and shop a little there and watch Impressions de France. Then...you guessed it.

More time at the Rose and Crown with Carl and some other regulars and new folks alike. Always fun to guide someone through their first Guinness or Carl's Combo. Today we also got lunch there - bangers and chips and fish and chips. As usual, enjoyable pub grub. We then headed to pick up our daughter. All the while this morning and this afternoon, we were adjusting some of our plans and changing and booking new FP+. Keep those plans in flux all the time! Once we had gotten our daughter and she had changed, we finally headed to Magic Kingdom for the first time this visit. Hard to believe!

Our only real goal on this MK visit (which was only going to be a couple hours) was to hit the headliners in Tomorrowland - so Speedway, Space Mountain, and Buzz Lightyear. I had hoped to take a ride on the TTA (Peoplemover), but Space went down while we were in line and we lost about 15 minutes there waiting for things to start up again. I'm sure we will catch it later. Here is the scary image that will become all too regular in a few short years...

Then it was a (far too long) monorail trip over to the Grand Floridian for dinner at 1900 Park Fare. This has been a family favorite since we first starting coming to DW as a trio 9 years ago. In fact, we can show the age and development of our daughter through a series of pictures with Anastasia and Drizella. And, my wife made Anastasia and Drizella costumes a few years back which lasted 3 or 4 trips and are the source of some classic memories. This time, no costume - except that the dress my daughter is wearing she made mostly by herself (with a little help from my wife).

After dinner, we walked through the shops at GF and then came back to OKW for a nightcap while our daughter swam in the main pool. Just a few minutes into that relaxation a pretty impressive thunderstorm rolled in, so back to the room and here we are.

Tomorrow is the last day of soccer camp, so the last day of grown-up time...we are trying to decide if we might go to the movies at DTD. Tomorrow after soccer will be another afternoon at Epcot to hit everything we haven't yet. Early to bed tomorrow, though...Friday is early morning through late night at Magic Kingdom!

sheriffwoody

I love your daughter's dress that she made! I run also, but I've only ever run at Disney when we stayed at Riverside. We're staying at Bay Lake this time, and I'm hoping there's a nice place nearby for a short run.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I love your daughter's dress that she made! I run also, but I've only ever run at Disney when we stayed at Riverside. We're staying at Bay Lake this time, and I'm hoping there's a nice place nearby for a short run.

When we stayed at Bay Lake, my wife did do a run there. It's a relatively short path around the resort, but it is something!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Obviously, we had a couple live updates this morning, so you know we started with our early morning quick hit of Animal Kingdom for Expedition Everest. Of course, I felt the need to take a couple construction pictures. First up is the sea of cranes over Animal Kingdom taken from Everest lift hill. Second is the River of Light construction just outside the Theater in the Wild.

After AK and dropping off our daughter, it was time for my wife and I to enjoy a movie and lunch as grown ups. We finally saw Avengers 2 and then had lunch at House of Blues. Nice burgers and fun decor...oh, and a couple drinks as well.

Today was the last day for soccer camp, so to wrap things up, Marcelo from the Brazilian National Team and Real Madrid was back again. This time for autographs and pictures.

We then headed to Epcot where our daughter had to get her shot to see the mayor (who, of course was quite excited to see her and had to come out of the bar to give her a big hug).

Then we walked back into Future World and rode Ellen's Energy Adventure. Don't ask why we still ride it, we just do. Of course, this ride was more exciting than usual. Woman with a screaming child in the row in front of us. Really screaming. Like 25 minutes straight at full volume. Eventually she got a CM over and climbed out of the car mid-ride. Yikes. There was a young couple right next to her and I suspect they will be holding off on kids for quite some time. We then hit the new Taste Track quick service kiosk right outside Test Track for dinner. We had one each of the three specialty grilled cheese sandwiches.

I had the Fontina Cheese and Tomato Basil which was quite good. Got it with the Tomato Bisque on the side. My wife had the Gruyere and Applewood Smoked Bacon - very yummy and bacon-y. Daughter had the Canadian Cheddar and Apples (on Cinnamon Raisin bread) which was more like a desert it was so sweet. All in all, a really good food addition to Epcot. I hope it survives, but I don't think most people know it is over there...spread the word!!

After dinner, the girls did Mission:Space Orange side. No way I was getting in on that, did it once and never need to again! But they enjoyed it as always. Then we had a little time to kill, so some shopping happened. Now, I've mentioned shopping quite a lot in this trip report. Notice, I never mention buying? We rarely buy anything, be we have a good time shopping, that is for sure!

Finally, our last FP+ was ready to go and it was another ride on Test Track. We had a little fun taking some pictures on the high speed loop. These are both pretty much taken at the same time from two different angles. Enjoy!

Tomorrow is 8am to 3am Magic Kingdom - we'll see how long we really last! I'll try to get some live updates to happen during the day and maybe even some reporting during the 3 hours of waiting for fireworks from the best seats in the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom