A Spirited Perfect Ten

AEfx

I think a portion of Disney and Universal's pricing structure requires a hefty slice of economic discrimination.

$61.00 does seem fair if you're talking about going to a 'Six Flags' style park. Upper tier forms of entertainment will always demand an additional jump in admission.

It's sort of like spending a couple of hours at a movie theater. You can pay $2.00 for a second run theater with sticky floors, or, $18.00 for the 'IMAX Experience'. :)

True, but if you are going to follow that argument - those Six Flags and "Six Flags style" parks increase their prices commensurately with how Disney prices their parks. I don't read Disney blogs/news sites anymore aside from this one (simply because there is so rarely any news to report, and it all ends up here first or soon after), but I do recall someone (perhaps Koenig? maybe?) who did an article about the correlation between the 2nd and 3rd tier park pricing/practices vs. Disney.

It's one of those things where "as Disney goes, so goes the theme park industry", where everything from all-inclusive (non-ticket based) admission, "fastpass" style line jumps, and ticket pricing all trickle down from Disney's lead.

I do think Disney is overpriced. Folks compare it to sporting events and concerts - and in truth, they are overpriced, as well - and you don't generally do those for a week straight. I believe the most recent estimates I have seen is that the Disney metric for guest satisfaction is 7/8 attractions/day. When you divide that by ticket prices, and take into account the length of many of the attractions (5min or less), and multiply it by the average family sized, Disney is insanely expensive.

When you consider beyond that the fact if you stay all day you are captive for 3 meals, anything you drink aside from the drinking fountains, etc. - not to mention discretionary buys - you'd almost think they'd tone down the admission prices to encourage those secondary sales.

Last edited:

AEfx

Orlando Informer just said on Twitter that Universal is planning another announcement very soon.

Must be a day that ends in "Y"...

Yes and now we're attacking them for doing it on the cheap and unable to serve the demand that comes on a daily basis....

Absolutely - but we can't retcon away that we agreed there was that demand for Frozen in the first place. Folks should absolutely take them to task for how they are doing it, but we can't pretend we don't know why or that we weren't like "do something already".

Disneyhead'71

True, but if you are going to follow that argument - those Six Flags and "Six Flags style" parks increase their prices commensurately with how Disney prices their parks. I don't read Disney blogs/news sites anymore aside from this one (simply because there is so rarely any news to report, and it all ends up here first or soon after), but I do recall someone (perhaps Koenig? maybe?) who did an article about the correlation between the 2nd and 3rd tier park pricing/practices vs. Disney.

It's one of those things where "as Disney goes, so goes the theme park industry", where everything from all-inclusive (non-ticket based) admission, "fastpass" style line jumps, and ticket pricing all trickle down from Disney's lead.

I do think Disney is overpriced. Folks compare it to sporting events and concerts - and in truth, they are overpriced, as well - and you don't generally do those for a week straight. I believe the most recent estimates I have seen is that the Disney metric for guest satisfaction is 7/8 attractions/day. When you divide that by ticket prices, and take into account the length of many of the attractions (5min or less), Disney is insanely expensive.

When you consider beyond that the fact if you stay all day you are captive for 3 meals, anything you drink aside from the drinking fountains, etc. - not to mention discretionary buys - you'd almost think they'd tone down the admission prices to encourage those secondary sales.
I've always said, "When was the last time you spent a week "on-prop" at Wrigley Field, eating 3 meals a day?"

4 hours captive audience and 7 day captive audience are two different creatures

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Maybe they could stop treating Frozen like the second coming?

(Insert hilarious witty reply from @PhotoDave219)
I've been actually quite surprised at how Frozen hasn't been as "in your face" as I expected. Yes they have their cupcake and themed rice Krispy treat. Yep there is merchandise and specialty shop. But it's not everywhere I look. It may have been at one time but I don't see it any more prolific than Highschool Musical was.

PhotoDave219

There truly is no hope.
darth_vader___no_hope_by_athosxunderdog-d3gp41b.jpg

No. No.

Obi-wan is our only hope.

AEfx

It's everywhere I look but maybe that's because I have 2 little girls smack dab in that demographic. Dollar Store, Family Dollar, Five Below, Kmart, Walmart, Target, Justice, JCP, Macy's - you can find it at almost every price point store.

I think s/he was talking more about at WDW specifically. While there is a ton of Frozen merchandise in "real life" too - it's also highly in demand. Toys R Us could not keep stuff stocked last holiday season - they had email blasts at 2AM to let folks know that the next morning they'd have stock, and many TRU had lines waiting when they opened.

In retrospect, while Disney was criticized for not being ready to ultra-merchandise Frozen when it was released, in could be looked at as smart marketing if we didn't know better. If intentional, it would have been a gamble (since the merch came largely after the film was already out and on video) because folks could have lost interest, but somehow their blunder paid off because demand was so high and remains so for Frozen merch which has greatly extended the life of the entire endeavor.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I think s/he was talking more about at WDW specifically. While there is a ton of Frozen merchandise in "real life" too - it's also highly in demand. Toys R Us could not keep stuff stocked last holiday season - they had email blasts at 2AM to let folks know that the next morning they'd have stock, and many TRU had lines waiting when they opened.

In retrospect, while Disney was criticized for not being ready to ultra-merchandise Frozen when it was released, in could be looked at as smart marketing if we didn't know better. If intentional, it would have been a gamble (since the merch came largely after the film was already out and on video) because folks could have lost interest, but somehow their blunder paid off because demand was so high and remains so for Frozen merch which has greatly extended the life of the entire endeavor.
The issue is diagnosing what was a fad vs what is a long standing IP.

To their credit, that is VERY hard to predict.

I credit the ear worm songs of Frozen for pushing it over the top as compared to the previous princess films.

Note, they are not GOOD songs...they are just ear worms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom