A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhotoDave219

Well first and foremost, I've heard different numbers for Maelstrom's capacity, but let's assume that 900-1000 is what it regularly clocked in at. The attraction will be down for at minimum 16 months. @marni91 has indicated that there will be track changes in the old queue area, I could see other changes to the ride system/track to eliminate those bottlenecks that limited capacity. If I had to guess, I'd say that worst case scenario the Frozen attraction would have a capacity in the 1200-1400 range.

OK. So. 1200*12 hours is 14400/day. Yikes. Thats still bad even if they dont get the 20% boost. Thats what, 1/3rd of the current daily audience?

We wont know until we start testing and can see how many people can fit a boat, how many boats/min, etc.....

Edit: I cant do math.

PhotoDave219

Increasing the ride time doesn't increase capacity in a "throughput" sense (i.e. riders per hour), though it increases the riders on the ride at any given time.

In order to increase ride capacity, you need to make load faster and dispatch more guest more quickly. Changing the boat configuration might help if new vehicles hold more passengers but are able to be dispatched at the same speed (or faster) as before.

Yeah, the biggest problem with HRC is getting guests to sit the heck down and shut the hell up.

spacemt354

Chili's
Increasing the ride time doesn't increase capacity in a "throughput" sense (i.e. riders per hour), though it increases the riders on the ride at any given time.

In order to increase ride capacity, you need to make load faster and dispatch more guest more quickly. Changing the boat configuration might help if new vehicles hold more passengers but are able to be dispatched at the same speed (or faster) as before.
Well you really need both of those to make any significant impact. A longer ride, and ride vehicles with greater capacity/load time. Though I can't really see them speeding up the load/dispatch time. I assume there's a minimum time for safety precautions.

Cesar R M

so.. more "tent poles" by marvel?

so.. doubledecker "viking" arendelle boat? :hilarious:

Funmeister

Well 1200-1400 which was his estimate, from 900, is not that close to double the capacity, which would be 1800 per hour.

That being said, I would lean more on somewhere in-between 1100-1300. Even with an additional scene or two, it's just too small of a space to have any more than a modest increase.

That is why I said 400 shy of doubling capacity. 1400 is more in the ballpark of 1800 than 1200 agree? If you are going to make that big of a jump you may as well say 1800. 400 additional riders are a struggle for some attractions to add but not for others. At Splash Mountain our hourly capacity would fluctuate usually within two or three hundred guests per hour depending on varying circumstances.

Everything from having well trained CMs in the station to weather to guests traveling in wheelchairs were/are all factors.

spacemt354

Chili's
That is why I said 400 shy of doubling capacity. 1400 is more in the ballpark of 1800 than 1200 agree? If you are going to make that big of a jump you may as well say 1800. 400 additional riders are a struggle for some attractions to add but not for others. At Splash Mountain our hourly capacity would fluctuate usually within two or three hundred guests per hour depending on varying circumstances.

Everything from having well trained CMs in the station to weather to guests traveling in wheelchairs were/are all factors.
At the end you were saying it was almost double capacity. It's not really the point though...

The big concern for this, aside from the obvious inclusion in the country in the first place, is going to be the wait-times. With such poor capacity, they're going to need to do something drastic to meet demand, otherwise, you're going to be looking at 2 hours waits daily.

Disneyhead'71

At the end you were saying it was almost double capacity. It's not really the point though...

The big concern for this, aside from the obvious inclusion in the country in the first place, is going to be the wait-times. With such poor capacity, they're going to need to do something drastic to meet demand, otherwise, you're going to be looking at 2 hours waits daily.
Maybe they could stop treating Frozen like the second coming?

(Insert hilarious witty reply from @PhotoDave219)

Mike S

2 hours? I'd say that's generous.

"Newness" factor + Frozen factor + capacity factor = one heck of a cluster you know what

Funmeister

It is the point. The point I was making is even if they do double capacity (or come close) it still will not be enough.

I agree with what you are saying but the wait times you are speaking of are directly related to hourly capacity. In order to fix the wait times you have to fix the capacity problem. There are other factors involved that can and do affect wait times but getting people through (or not) is the main culprit for long waits.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Or maybe they could just give it a proper home in Fantasyland, and actually invest in an attraction like Tokyo instead of shoehorning it into a WS pavilion. ;)
Hahah.. WDW doing something that makes sense, that's almost has funny as @Disneyhead'71 suggesting that Duck Brand duck tape is gonna sponsor the Monorail System. It makes to much sense, Disney's gonna get Knock off brand duck tape to sponsor the monorails long before going to Duck brand.

raymusiccity

Just did the inflation adjustment on that...a one day, one park ticket would be $61/$48 today. That seems fair

I think a portion of Disney and Universal's pricing structure requires a hefty slice of economic discrimination.

$61.00 does seem fair if you're talking about going to a 'Six Flags' style park. Upper tier forms of entertainment will always demand an additional jump in admission.

It's sort of like spending a couple of hours at a movie theater. You can pay $2.00 for a second run theater with sticky floors, or, $18.00 for the 'IMAX Experience'. :)

Lee

Adventurer
Well first and foremost, I've heard different numbers for Maelstrom's capacity, but let's assume that 900-1000 is what it regularly clocked in at. The attraction will be down for at minimum 16 months. @marni91 has indicated that there will be track changes in the old queue area, I could see other changes to the ride system/track to eliminate those bottlenecks that limited capacity. If I had to guess, I'd say that worst case scenario the Frozen attraction would have a capacity in the 1200-1400 range.
The new scene, as you indicated, will only occupy the former load/unload area. It would only allow for maybe 3 more boats in the flume.

That won't have an impact.

The only things that could possibly increase the capacity would be to either increase the speed of the flume or to dramatically reduce the load/unload times.

Neither are likely.

Disneyhead'71

I have nothing witty, pretty or gay to say.
Community Standards are more like guidelines.

vrm5duou33mqqmu.jpg

PhotoDave219

The new scene, as you indicated, will only occupy the former load/unload area. It would only allow for maybe 3 more boats in the flume.

That won't have an impact.

The only things that could possibly increase the capacity would be to either increase the speed of the flume or to dramatically reduce the load/unload times.

Neither are likely.

So is 900-1000 HRC accurate?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom