New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Did you not see the fantastic review of The Boathouse I gave last week?

This looks lame. And after they finish, it will most likely be open all the time and probably have a smoking section back there. If they are allowing guest access, EVER! Then it is on stage. Period. No if, ands, or buts. And as such should be treated as such. There is no, "well it's just a.......". That acknowledges it's substandard quality and excuses the sub-par execution.

I don't give two flips about an arcade. What I am concerned about is WDW's modern definition of "show quality".

There IS such a thing as Show Quality at WDW these days?, I thought the SHOW key had been replaced with PROFITABILITY

Next Big Thing

Lol. All of Disney's mistakes only exist in the past. All the decisions they make in the "now" are flippin' fantastic!
While I agree that they aren't near perfect right now, most of their problems we are seeing come from mistakes made in the past plus years of stagnation. Not perfect at all right now as DHS is probably the worst Disney park on the planet, but they are finally taking action.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
While I agree that they aren't near perfect right now, most of their problems we are seeing come from mistakes made in the past plus years of stagnation. Not perfect at all right now as DHS is probably the worst Disney park on the planet, but they are finally taking action.

Are they - what i'm seeing is targeted highly visible fix ups

jt04

I thought, according to you, that Disney never made mistakes? Amazing.

Not many since TWDC was placed under new management. But the full realization won't become obvious to most here for awhile yet. Memes die slowly around here. Like the one that the mouse overpaid for Pixar for example.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
See the new DAK and then the new DHS. It is an ongoing effort to fix the mistakes made in the past an we are still seeing the process unfold. Enjoy the journey.

He doesn't need facts, he just has to repeat over and over that Disney will start building some new stuff, because we all know this will eventually happen, and then he can proclaim that he predicted this all along.

Cesar R M

still a long road of walking, they just removed stuff.. they havent added anything.

SpaceMountain75

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah
Zip-a-dee-ay
Trees are being planted and they're here to stay...
CD8tOLsWoAA4yQV.jpg-large.jpeg

Photo: @Schmoofy on Twitter

lnsemsf

Does anyone who walked through have any pics from when they did?
They're not particularly good, but it's better than nothing. I only had my phone on me and was trying to get to my fastpass so was hurrying through.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 235
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 232

Tom

Beta Return
I'm not one to go to Disney's defense, especially when they don't deserve it, but the entire debate over this bypass makes me shake my head.

The park's ever-increasing attendance levels have presented a crowd management problem that they could only have dreamed of in 1971. So today, MSUSA is too narrow to accommodate the mass exodus from the park at the close of business. Not anyone's fault, and there's no feasible way to correct it permanently, because it would be downright ridiculous to tear everything down and widen the on-stage street.

So, for many years, they've done the next best thing, which is to allow crowds to exit via a secondary corridor. For a while, it was fine and dandy to just put up some curtains or roll in a few planters, since it wasn't a routine course of action.

But again, crowds have dictated that it become more of a SOP. And I, for one, give them credit for doing ANYTHING to the area. I don't expect a second Main Street back there. It's backstage. It's a service area. Cast still use the area for staging and prep and hauling trash. Then, when crowds dictate, they allow guests to pass through the area as a courtesy.

And it's called a bypass for a reason. It's not the primary route. It serves one purpose - to get people out of the park as quickly and safely as possible. If you take that route, you do not pass Go and you do not collect $200. You get out. Period. No loitering. No photo ops. No shopping. No eating. You walk south and exit the park.

So why spend millions of dollars to make it look like the permanent areas of the park, when it's only used at night, and is not meant to be stared at or admired?

It sounds like I'm in the minority, but I just don't understand the heartburn over how "awful" it looks. It's a far cry better than seeing dumpsters and piles of vendor carts recharging.

If they were to do something like this in an on-stage area, yeah, it would be worthy of extreme criticism. But everything is relative.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom