New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

Goofywilliam

Photo update as of Tuesday, April 21. Perhaps noted previously by others....."billboard" advertisements now cover the gates at the Main Street entrance to the bypass at Magic Kingdom. The trees behind the gate attempt to hide part of the Tomorrowland buildings that were visible from Main Street.

View attachment 90451

Yay for trees! The view from the train station has always annoyed me because you could see all of the exposed show building for Tomorrowland. Glad they are finally addressing this issue!

DGracey

Have you seen pictures of their actual bypass, though? It's essentially permanent plywood construction walls with some trellis structures overhead. It's not anything to write home about by any means. Ours is at least shaping up to potentially resemble a park like in the new hub with foliage and low rails, etc...

I've only seen pictures of Disneyland's new bypass and thought it looked fine. I hope what you're saying is true and the MK bypass does in fact resemble nice theming like a park etc. I'm just used to TDO cutting, not adding. But you give me hope ...

DGracey

Photo update as of Tuesday, April 21. Perhaps noted previously by others....."billboard" advertisements now cover the gates at the Main Street entrance to the bypass at Magic Kingdom. The trees behind the gate attempt to hide part of the Tomorrowland buildings that were visible from Main Street.

View attachment 90451

That is one huge beautiful tree. Does anyone know where the heck they would have planted that? Isn't it all asphalt and parking there? A wonderful addition!

halltd

I've only seen the evening (and usually blurry) shots of what ours is shaping up to look like. So, don't get me wrong, it could suck royally. But, I've seen railings like in the new hub, obviously some trees like in the new picture above, and planter beds also like in the new hub. So, I'm holding out hope that it could potentially be better than California's plywood cave.

wogwog

That is one huge beautiful tree. Does anyone know where the heck they would have planted that? Isn't it all asphalt and parking there? A wonderful addition!
A lot of big planters back there that could support big trees if Disney wanted them. The painting, planting and new pavement is nearing completion finally. Some decorative and some functional lighting as well. I was last back there a week or so ago after a meeting.

DGracey

that building was ALREADY there

At Disneyland? No it wasn't. An entirely new structure was built.

See attached pictures of before and after.

1) Area before the bypass exit

2) Area with new bypass exit

3) Bypass walkway theming

Attachments

• DLBypass-Before.jpg
    DLBypass-Before.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 336
  • DLBypass-After.jpg
    DLBypass-After.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 322
  • DLBypass.jpg
    DLBypass.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 296

note2001

New roof, old roof. Result is the same - it looks great. And a better "show" than MK's wood gate with posters.
Up until now, perhaps DL's bypass has been a better show (not hard to beat a parking lot) however, in my opinion, when complete the MK bypass should have what was called "backyard charm" missing in DL's bypass (which in pics looks like the walk of a thousand walls.) The wooden gates at the MK fit the backyard theme well, and I never cared for DL's joke calling a large group of individuals exiting "livery".

Last edited:

Unplugged

I hope to see the WDW:MK bypass in a few weeks. The progress, while not astounding, does sound promising to create a pleasant experience while heading out. Far better then years past.

roj2323

Let's try this again. I was standing still for all of the photos. If they didn't turn out there's not much I can do.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Okay so what it appears they're doing behind the Main street buildings is that they are putting up a for lack of better term fancy fence running the full length from the front of the park to the hub. There are a few shallow planters on that side but nothing I was impressed with. Additionally one of my photos shows a bunch of different colors on the wall so it looks like they're doing color testing to see what they like. Also while not photographed, they are currently in the process of replacing all of the blacktop and concrete in the bypass with black concrete which actually looks pretty nice.

note2001

I know it gets knocked simply because it isn't the arcades but they do appear to be making some effort with this. I don't see why a simple bypass with moderate theming is knocked. At least there's a tree? LOL
And new lights!

I think I see a trend: whenever there is new wiring to be done and the IBEW is involved, progress goes slower. ( Just a dig at my sibling... please don't anyone else take offense ;) )

roj2323

I know it gets knocked simply because it isn't the arcades but they do appear to be making some effort with this. I don't see why a simple bypass with moderate theming is knocked. At least there's a tree? LOL

there's actually several trees and the photos really don't do it any justice. It's actually looking really nice back there. Once it is finally done I can see them opening it up during the day when it's busy.

Kman101

there's actually several trees and the photos really don't do it any justice. It's actually looking really nice back there. Once it is finally done I can see them opening it up during the day when it's busy.

I'm glad to hear it's nicer than the pictures show. I know dark photos on a phone can't at all do it justice, though. I thank you for taking the photos. I haven't been through that one. I know it's not at all a priority (and IMO it shouldn't be) but you'd think they'd want to just get it done. They've really been taking their time with this one, lol.

And from the pictures I've seen, I wasn't that impressed by the Disneyland version of the bypass. It was nice, but meh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom