Direct to Room Check in

Arecheri

I was told annual passholders and anyone requiring to show a form of ID at check-in would not be allowed to participate in the direct to room check-in. Has anyone had this happen?

shipley731

I have an AP and did direct to room last month with no issues. Room was ready at 12pm & they were able to honor both of the requests I had put on the reservation.

DisneyJunkie

I used it a week ago. I had a mid afternoon flight. While walking to DME in the airport, I got a text stating my room was ready and the number of the room. When I got to the hotel I went straight to the room and the magic band opened the door. Then it was off to the parks. It worked really well.

Sounds good, but how did you know where the room was located? Did you still have to ask at the front desk?

durangojim

I have an AP and did direct to room last month with no issues. Room was ready at 12pm & they were able to honor both of the requests I had put on the reservation.
Were the requests you made via a CM on the phone or were they the generic ones that are available on the website?

thomas998

For resort about the only options really is to have a guard check your Id and name every time, show a paper pass, scan your mb or install gates that you scan your mb on. Think that's all of them :)

As for direct to room check in, it is a great option and worked very smooth for me I loved it

I know the campgrounds and cabins have a gate where you just scan your MB to get your car in or out... do the other resorts have that same setup? Just curious.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Sounds good, but how did you know where the room was located? Did you still have to ask at the front desk?

If you get an email alert (I did both an email and a text alert for my room) there is a link in there for a resort map. You can use that to check out where your room' s building is.

Last edited:
On our last trip we put our credit card on the room online and set up PINs but still got the message that we had to go to the resort desk. We went to the desk to verify the card and it was on there. In fact they were kind of confused as to why we were there since we had already checked in.
The same thing happened to us this past trip. I was going to go to check in to make sure everything was linked to our magic bands anyway. It still only took a couple of minutes on Easter Sunday which I was happy with and surprised about. There was someone walking around with a tablet to handle those issues. The text said that our room was ready about 20 minutes before we pulled into the parking lot, but then we got a message about coming to the front desk just as we arrived. I'm guessing we still could have gone to the room first, but we didn't.

draybook

Must be nice. We checked in on April 9th. We went to the resort before hitting the parks to see if the room was ready. Mind you, I had already signed up and got confirmation for the straight to room deal. It wasn't ready so they said they would text me when it was ready and that our bands would automatically be linked to open the room door. Well, that was around 10 or 11 am. Three pm came and went with no text. So, around 4pm I called directly to the Pop front desk. Not only did the system not text us(room was ready), but they said we had to come to the front desk to link the bands. Knowing that we wouldn't be leaving the park until roughly midnight, this didn't settle well with us.

So, as we pull up to the security shack after leaving the park, the guard says that the band scanned on his little handheld, so it should work on the room door. We decided to chance it and headed to the room. We were in building 3, so it was a little walk from the parking lot. Either way we would be walking and waiting, so we took the chance. Well, that's what we get for listening to the security guard. He meant well, but did I mention that not only did the wife and kids have to sit at the door while I trekked to the front desk, but we had our food with us that we had grabbed from McD's before going back to the resort?

Well, after a few minutes of the front desk lady trying to get my band to link, she said that the system showed that I had a KttK card linked to my name that was throwing my bands into some error that they had never seen before. So, she deactivated and reactivated my band and got my son's to work. I told her that one band working on the door was enough. To add to the oddity of the situation, the next day we went to Epcot and my band was still showing as deactivated. So, the nice lead gentleman at the front messed around with the system and reactivated it. That night, my band started to work on the door.

So, to sum up that giant wall of text; we like Magic Bands except when it comes to the resorts. This is the third issue in three trips since they introduced MB's.

jprieur

For those of you who have AP on a room only reservation and participated in Direct to Room Check in, were you booked on an AP only room discount or just an open to the public discount?

I know everytime I have done room only on an AP discount rate they always asked for my AP discount card when I check in, even though I booked through my profile which has my AP associated.

Traveling down 2nd week in May on a room only AP rate, so curious. Also, my online check in page says I have streamlined check in - how do you know when you are eligible for Direct to Room?

Last edited:

bebert

How does Direct to Room work with the DDP? Are the meals loaded onto the band or do you need to visit the front desk to do that?
This will be our second trip with bands and I would agree with @draybook, my band never worked at the resort consistently. One day it would work on the door, the next day no and then it would work and I never did anything to try to fix it. I ended up using my four year old son's band to get into the room:banghead:. Never had any issues with park entrance, fast pass or meals.

love disney

Just got back a couple of weeks ago, stayed on a FL Resident room only rate. I was able to do online, direct to room, early check and was not required to go to the front desk to show my FL id. Not sure what AP holders are experiencing.

Regarding parking, this was the only draw back to direct to room checkin. There should have been a parking pass waiting for me at the security gate or in my room in my opinion. We had to go to the front desk to get the parking pass to put in the front of the car. The nice CM at the front desk asked what I needed, I explained it to him, and he rolled his eyes...not at me but at the ridiculousness that WDW rolled out this system and didn't consider how to handle parking. Evidently I was not the only one that had that issue.

Overall a good system (if and only if you are familiar with the resort in my opinion), but still has some tweaking that needs to be done to fine tune it.

Jon81uk

How does Direct to Room work with the DDP? Are the meals loaded onto the band or do you need to visit the front desk to do that?
This will be our second trip with bands and I would agree with @draybook, my band never worked at the resort consistently. One day it would work on the door, the next day no and then it would work and I never did anything to try to fix it. I ended up using my four year old son's band to get into the room:banghead:. Never had any issues with park entrance, fast pass or meals.

Nothing is ever "loaded" onto your band, it just contains a number that links the band to your MDE account. So as long as your reservation that includes dining plan is linked in MDE then all should be sorted.

Jon81uk

Just got back a couple of weeks ago, stayed on a FL Resident room only rate. I was able to do online, direct to room, early check and was not required to go to the front desk to show my FL id. Not sure what AP holders are experiencing.

Regarding parking, this was the only draw back to direct to room checkin. There should have been a parking pass waiting for me at the security gate or in my room in my opinion. We had to go to the front desk to get the parking pass to put in the front of the car. The nice CM at the front desk asked what I needed, I explained it to him, and he rolled his eyes...not at me but at the ridiculousness that WDW rolled out this system and didn't consider how to handle parking. Evidently I was not the only one that had that issue.

Overall a good system (if and only if you are familiar with the resort in my opinion), but still has some tweaking that needs to be done to fine tune it.

I read somewhere that parking passes are being phased out and they will just read a magic band to check you have a hotel reservation. At the hotel of course the band will already open the gate at the front anyway.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I read somewhere that parking passes are being phased out and they will just read a magic band to check you have a hotel reservation. At the hotel of course the band will already open the gate at the front anyway.
We did direct to room and did not get a parking pass. We thought the theme park parking booth CM would scan a band, but we were merely waved through.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom