NFL 2015 Offseason Discussion Thread

jw24

Antrel Rolle to the Bears. Not really surprised. I hated the fact that he never led by example. He talked a lot but he sure as heck didn't show it and that was confirmed after last season. Who's the next captain on the defense for the Giants? Not sure. JPP hasn't done enough to warrant the captain's badge in my book. Beason, maybe, but he's got to stay healthy.

Lucky

LB Brian Orakpo to Titans
CB Chris Culliver to Washington (they talked to him and said he seems like a nice guy, so they're not concerned about the criminal charges and homophobic comments)

Last edited:

PUSH

Original Poster
Vince Wilfork to the Texans, and Tim Tebow is working out for the Eagles.

Also, Tramon Williams has signed with the Browns. Sad to see him leave GB. He is a classic Packer. Started out as an UDFA, then becomes one of the better corners in the league for the better part of his career. It'll be weird to have a secondary without #38 playing, but it is what it is. All of a sudden our CBs have gone from one of our deepest positions to one of the shallower ones. Sam Shields, Casey Hayward, Demetri Goodson, and CB/S Micah Hyde are there, but Shields is the only true outside corner on our roster.

Luckily it appears several corners fit around the 30th pick in the draft, but so do a couple ILBs, which we also need. Hopefully we can snag one of each in the first two rounds.

PUSH

Original Poster
Another shocking retirement from a 49ers LB. Chris Borland is retiring after one season due to safety concerns. Gotta say this one blew my mind. He was looking like he could become one of the great LBs in the league, and I loved watching his play as a Badger.

NYwdwfan

Another shocking retirement from a 49ers LB. Chris Borland is retiring after one season due to safety concerns. Gotta say this one blew my mind. He was looking like he could become one of the great LBs in the league, and I loved watching his play as a Badger.

Wow - that is surprising.

wdwfan4ver

I agree this is a shock.

PUSH

Original Poster
Trent Richardson has signed with the Raiders

10981348_897564933623529_8744897664655476958_n.jpg

jw24

A bunch of rule proposals being thrown around. The ones I think should be allowed is having each team have one possession in OT. In a perfect world, I would prefer a hybrid OT of college football and old school sudden death. Simply put, if the first team scores, second team must score the same number of points to extend the game or more to win. If tied after both teams have one possession, it's sudden death the rest of the way.

There's another proposal of calling timeouts right after the play instead of throwing the red flag. Another regarding making all penalties reviewable (Good idea, but maybe just limit to reviewable penalties that penalize teams 10 yards or more.)

But the craziest one of them is proposed by the Colts. A bonus field goal after a successful two point conversion. That's even worse the opening XFL scramble for the ball at midfield instead of the coin toss!

PUSH

Original Poster
A bunch of rule proposals being thrown around. The ones I think should be allowed is having each team have one possession in OT. In a perfect world, I would prefer a hybrid OT of college football and old school sudden death. Simply put, if the first team scores, second team must score the same number of points to extend the game or more to win. If tied after both teams have one possession, it's sudden death the rest of the way.

There's another proposal of calling timeouts right after the play instead of throwing the red flag. Another regarding making all penalties reviewable (Good idea, but maybe just limit to reviewable penalties that penalize teams 10 yards or more.)

But the craziest one of them is proposed by the Colts. A bonus field goal after a successful two point conversion. That's even worse the opening XFL scramble for the ball at midfield instead of the coin toss!
I never liked the idea of both teams getting the ball in OT until this season where I realized several games come down to the luck of a coin flip. Often times, both teams are hot going into the OT period, so whoever wins the coin toss is likely to win the fame. But I absolutely hate the college rules. That's not football.

I'm also up in the air about reviewing penalties. Jeff Fisher put it well, coaches shouldn't have to be worried about knowing if the call is right or not. They have so much else to do. I'd favor a system where the people in the booth can review the play if they think it's questionable, kind of like they do in the final 2 minutes of each half. But I would limit the penalties, not each one. For example, I'd do pass interference and roughing the passer, etc, but I wouldn't do holding, offsides, etc. And if the play wasn't called on the field, I'm not sure I'd like that becoming reviewable. I think that would slow the game down a lot with all the reviews. I'd limit it to only the calls that were made, unless it's inside 2 minutes.

As for the Colts thing, the owner says he has no optimism of it passing. He said he just put the idea out there as an idea to make extra points more entertaining.

PUSH

Original Poster
Some news from the Browns and Falcons:

Browns: GM Ray Farmer has been suspended for 4 games to start the season for texting to the sidelines last season. He'll be able to be with the team and in the buildings until then, meaning he'll be available for the draft. His suspension is without pay.

Falcons: Have lost their 2015 5th round draft pick for pumping in fake crowd noise into their stadium.

PUSH

Original Poster
Some news from the Browns and Falcons:

Browns: GM Ray Farmer has been suspended for 4 games to start the season for texting to the sidelines last season. He'll be able to be with the team and in the buildings until then, meaning he'll be available for the draft. His suspension is without pay.

Falcons: Have lost their 2015 5th round draft pick for pumping in fake crowd noise into their stadium.
Correction: It's a 2016 5th round pick for the Falcons.

PUSH

Original Poster
Because of my mistake, I'll post this here too.

With the draft a month from yesterday, I decided to make some pre-draft predictions for the upcoming season.

NFC North
Bears (5-11)
Lions (8-8)
Packers (12-4)
Vikings (9-7)

NFC East
Cowboys (9-7)
Giants (7-9)
Eagles (9-7)
Redskins (3-13)

NFC West
Cardinals (11-5)
49ers (6-10)
Seahawks (12-4)
Rams (9-7)

NFC South
Falcons (6-10)
Panthers (6-10)
Saints (8-8)
Buccaneers (5-11)

AFC North
Ravens (9-7)
Bengals (8-8)
Browns (6-10)
Steelers (12-4)

AFC East
Bills (10-6)
Dolphins (8-8)
Patriots (11-5)
Jets (7-9)

AFC West
Broncos (9-7)
Chiefs (7-9)
Raiders (5-11)
Chargers (9-7)

AFC South
Texans (6-10)
Colts (11-5)
Jaguars (4-12)
Titans (2-14)

That would make the playoff seeds like this:

NFC
1. Packers
2. Seahawks
3. Eagles
4. Saints
5. Cardinals
6. Rams/Vikings/Cowboys (depending on tiebreakers)

AFC
1. Steelers
2. Patriots
3. Colts
4. Chargers
5. Bills
6. Ravens/Broncos (depending on tiebreakers)

For the sixth seeds, I'd be inclined to choose the Ravens for the AFC over the Broncos, because I don't trust Peyton Manning anymore. For the NFC I think it's open between the three. The Cowboys lost Murray who was a huge part of their offense, and the Rams and Vikings both have the talent to be legitimate contenders, but simply don't have a huge sample size to look at with all the recent changes.

I think the Packers and Seahawks will once again be the teams to beat in the NFC, with the Packers beating the Seahawks during the regular season to get the tiebreaker for the #1 seed. The Eagles are a huge question mark, but they have enough talent to get at least 9 wins. The Saints are another question mark, but I think they're the most talented out of the NFC South. And then the Cardinals have a lot of talent to pair with Carson Palmer if he can stay healthy.

I think the Steelers were the best team in the AFC along with the Patriots last season before the Bell injury. Belichick will find a way to win with the losses on that defense. The Colts could be better than 11-5, but I'm not sure about all these veteran signings. Are the washed up? More often than not the answer is yes. The Chargers are another team who are consistently average, but I think they'll edge out the Broncos. And then the Bills have talent, but can they win with Manuel or Cassel or whoever else comes in?

PUSH

Original Poster

jdmdisney99

Because of my mistake, I'll post this here too.

With the draft a month from yesterday, I decided to make some pre-draft predictions for the upcoming season.

NFC North
Bears (5-11)
Lions (8-8)
Packers (12-4)
Vikings (9-7)

NFC East
Cowboys (9-7)
Giants (7-9)
Eagles (9-7)
Redskins (3-13)

NFC West
Cardinals (11-5)
49ers (6-10)
Seahawks (12-4)
Rams (9-7)

NFC South
Falcons (6-10)
Panthers (6-10)
Saints (8-8)
Buccaneers (5-11)

AFC North
Ravens (9-7)
Bengals (8-8)
Browns (6-10)
Steelers (12-4)

AFC East
Bills (10-6)
Dolphins (8-8)
Patriots (11-5)
Jets (7-9)

AFC West
Broncos (9-7)
Chiefs (7-9)
Raiders (5-11)
Chargers (9-7)

AFC South
Texans (6-10)
Colts (11-5)
Jaguars (4-12)
Titans (2-14)

That would make the playoff seeds like this:

NFC
1. Packers
2. Seahawks
3. Eagles
4. Saints
5. Cardinals
6. Rams/Vikings/Cowboys (depending on tiebreakers)

AFC
1. Steelers
2. Patriots
3. Colts
4. Chargers
5. Bills
6. Ravens/Broncos (depending on tiebreakers)

For the sixth seeds, I'd be inclined to choose the Ravens for the AFC over the Broncos, because I don't trust Peyton Manning anymore. For the NFC I think it's open between the three. The Cowboys lost Murray who was a huge part of their offense, and the Rams and Vikings both have the talent to be legitimate contenders, but simply don't have a huge sample size to look at with all the recent changes.

I think the Packers and Seahawks will once again be the teams to beat in the NFC, with the Packers beating the Seahawks during the regular season to get the tiebreaker for the #1 seed. The Eagles are a huge question mark, but they have enough talent to get at least 9 wins. The Saints are another question mark, but I think they're the most talented out of the NFC South. And then the Cardinals have a lot of talent to pair with Carson Palmer if he can stay healthy.

I think the Steelers were the best team in the AFC along with the Patriots last season before the Bell injury. Belichick will find a way to win with the losses on that defense. The Colts could be better than 11-5, but I'm not sure about all these veteran signings. Are the washed up? More often than not the answer is yes. The Chargers are another team who are consistently average, but I think they'll edge out the Broncos. And then the Bills have talent, but can they win with Manuel or Cassel or whoever else comes in?
High on my Steelers... I like you, PUSH. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom