2015: The year of the EPCOT makeover?

RSoxNo1

The regular Baymaxes (non-armor) seem to be selling. I've not seen any of that stuff at the Disney store on my last visit to the mall.
In addition to Big Hero 6, Best Buy has several other Disney movies on sale this week. I try to only buy movies with digital copies and I bought Big Hero 6, Mary Poppins, and Sleeping Beauty for $19.99 each. I believe they also have Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Planes and Maleficent with the last two being the versions with digital copies.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
It's hard to buy merch that isn't there. I saw one store at MK with Baymax toys, a few Baymax shirts/hats, and that's really it. I didn't see anything with the rest of the Big Hero 6 team, nothing featuring Hiro, no MagicBands, nothing really creative. Meanwhile there's no shortage of Phineas & Ferb stuff, and their show's cancelled.
Apparently, new episodes of Phineas and Ferb are moving over to Netflix.
http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/netflix/...returning-original-series-and-movies-for-2015

NoChesterHester

In addition to Big Hero 6, Best Buy has several other Disney movies on sale this week. I try to only buy movies with digital copies and I bought Big Hero 6, Mary Poppins, and Sleeping Beauty for $19.99 each. I believe they also have Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Planes and Maleficent with the last two being the versions with digital copies.

Planes is total junk. Don't waste your money.

Brer Panther

Here's how I, personally, would tackle an EPCOT makeover...

SPACESHIP EARTH: Please replace that stupid touch-screen "look at the future" thing they have at the end. Some new narration wouldn't hurt, either. Maybe James Earl Jones?
TEST TRACK: Wouldn't change a thing (yes, I like the new version).
MISSION SPACE: I don't really have an opinion on this ride, but since most people on this forum don't like it...
WONDERS OF LIFE: I've heard the idea of a weather-themed pavillion tossed around. Or, of we don't get rid of Mission Space, use the land to build a new version of Horizons.
THE LAND: Soarin' getting another theater is perhaps one of the greatest ideas ever (love the ride, but the lines are a chore to be in). Maybe a new version of Kitchen Kabaret could open here, too. Although I would like to have it be hosted by the Tone Loc Nutrition Label from Food Rocks. He was awesome.
IMAGINATION: Dreamfinder. Enough said. I wouldn't mind an "Inside Out" addition... IF and ONLY IF it has the cast teaming up with Figment instead of replacing him.
LIVING SEAS: I can either take or leave the Nemo stuff.
UNIVERSE OF ENERGY: Okay, this is just a weird idea I had.. Ditch Ellen and have it be sort of a new version of the original incarnation, but hosted by Jim Parsons. Because I'm a really big fan of "The Big Bang Theory".
CANADA: Maybe some kind of raft ride?
UNITED KINGDOM: Since we're sticking Frozen in Norway, we might as well stick a Mary Poppins ride here. Though it'd probably work better in Fantasyland...
FRANCE: Not sure what I'd do here... I've heard Ratatouille rumors...
MOROCCO: Aladdin comes to mind, but I doubt people would approve of that given the uproar over Frozen in Norway...
GERMANY: I like the idea of ressurecting the Rhine River Cruise.
ITALY: How about some gondolas? Or at least a show?
AFRICAN OUTPOST: Obviously this space could be used for a new country. Not sure which one...
AMERICAN ADVENTURE: Doesn't really need any changes at the moment.
CHINA: Can't think of anything to do here, either.
NORWAY: Frozen's going in, and there's nothing we can do about it. And it'll probably result in the Norway pavilion being so crowded that you'd need a jet pack to get to the next pavilion.
MEXICO: The Three Caballeros ride, I think, needs a bit of a refurbishment. I'd ditch the storyline about Panchito and Jose trying to find Donald and just have all three of them showing us the beauty of Mexico and stuff. I had the idea to put an Emperor's New Groove ride here, too, but I'm not sure how well it would fit...

Now, these are just ideas (and probably not very good ones, at that), but that's just how I'd do it.

Mike S

Here's what I would do. My ideas are in bold.
Here's how I, personally, would tackle an EPCOT makeover...

SPACESHIP EARTH: Please replace that stupid touch-screen "look at the future" thing they have at the end. Some new narration wouldn't hurt, either. Maybe James Earl Jones?
Good idea. Agree on the pick of narrator.
TEST TRACK: Wouldn't change a thing (yes, I like the new version).
I would keep the high speed outside loop but the inside would become a new transportation focused AA heavy dark ride. The name "World of Motion" would return for nostalgic purposes.
MISSION SPACE: I don't really have an opinion on this ride, but since most people on this forum don't like it...
Dismantle the show building but keep the facade. The new pavilion name is "Cosmos" and houses a slow dark ride journey through the universe with jaw dropping special effects hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson.
WONDERS OF LIFE: I've heard the idea of a weather-themed pavillion tossed around. Or, of we don't get rid of Mission Space, use the land to build a new version of Horizons.
Inside Out takes over Cranium Command and there would also be a new health themed show hosted by Baymax like how the pavilion originally had a show featuring Goofy. Body Wars returns with all the upgrades Star Tours has gotten and a brand new plot.
THE LAND: Soarin' getting another theater is perhaps one of the greatest ideas ever (love the ride, but the lines are a chore to be in). Maybe a new version of Kitchen Kabaret could open here, too. Although I would like to have it be hosted by the Tone Loc Nutrition Label from Food Rocks. He was awesome.
Not much to say here like Spaceship Earth. The Soarin' upgrade is happening as far as we know and it would be cool to see a show like Kitchen Kabaret open again. I barely rember it at all.
IMAGINATION: Dreamfinder. Enough said. I wouldn't mind an "Inside Out" addition... IF and ONLY IF it has the cast teaming up with Figment instead of replacing him.
As I said above Inside Out would go to Wonders of Life. Imagination stays focused on Figment and Dreamfinder with a brand new amazing update.
LIVING SEAS: I can either take or leave the Nemo stuff.
They could keep Nemo but at least change it to you joining Mr. Ray's class instead of just a retread of the movie.
UNIVERSE OF ENERGY: Okay, this is just a weird idea I had.. Ditch Ellen and have it be sort of a new version of the original incarnation, but hosted by Jim Parsons. Because I'm a really big fan of "The Big Bang Theory".
That could either turn out really well or make the attraction dated even more.
CANADA: Maybe some kind of raft ride?
A water ride would work really well. Either a raft or log flume would work.
UNITED KINGDOM: Since we're sticking Frozen in Norway, we might as well stick a Mary Poppins ride here. Though it'd probably work better in Fantasyland...
King Arthur would be better.
FRANCE: Not sure what I'd do here... I've heard Ratatouille rumors...
Something really cool could be done with Jules Verne here.
MOROCCO: Aladdin comes to mind, but I doubt people would approve of that given the uproar over Frozen in Norway...
Can't think of something here but definitely not Aladdin.
GERMANY: I like the idea of ressurecting the Rhine River Cruise.
Either that or my idea of a ride about the Brothers Grimm.
ITALY: How about some gondolas? Or at least a show?
Yes.
AFRICAN OUTPOST: Obviously this space could be used for a new country. Not sure which one...
Brazil.
image.jpg
image.jpg

It could go in a different spot too. Doesn't matter where.

AMERICAN ADVENTURE: Doesn't really need any changes at the moment.
Absolutely 100% agree.
CHINA: Can't think of anything to do here, either.
Same. Maybe a ride through China's history?
NORWAY: Frozen's going in, and there's nothing we can do about it. And it'll probably result in the Norway pavilion being so crowded that you'd need a jet pack to get to the next pavilion.
Maelstrom refresh
image.jpg

If Iago and Zazu eventually left Tiki Room, Frozen can leave Norway and move to Magic Kingdom ;) Hypothetically, of course. I know it won't happen :(

MEXICO: The Three Caballeros ride, I think, needs a bit of a refurbishment. I'd ditch the storyline about Panchito and Jose trying to find Donald and just have all three of them showing us the beauty of Mexico and stuff. I had the idea to put an Emperor's New Groove ride here, too, but I'm not sure how well it would fit...
That could work better than how it is now.
Now, these are just ideas (and probably not very good ones, at that), but that's just how I'd do it.
Finally I would add these two new E Tickets to World Showcase.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I would wager it will work like this.

Lucus Land /Hollywood make over Ready Early 2017 (I doubt they will have to make much and it will be building re-themes.

Epcot make over - Late 2017/2018.

Agree, remember MK is finishing it's makeover and Springs is ongoing as well. The thing I'd like to see is a UE rework, make it shorter and interactive. Just please don't make a PC themed WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! Global warming guilt trip.

erwinalber4

Well I would love an Epcot upgrade too and here are some of my ideas based on things read around here and my general wishlist.

ENTRANCE: Move the LAL plaques along the side walls and add in gardens and water features. I'd love to see topiarys of the differnt circle logos for the Future World Pavilions (yes even create new ones for pavilions that never had one) and in the center planter have a topiary of the original EPCOT CENTER logo. Bring back the crystal centerpiece on the main faountain.

SPACESHIP EARTH: Agreed on the James Earl Jones narration 100% I've been saying this for years. Fix the decent, I don't have a problem with the screens and an updated future but I'd at least like to see the swirling fiber optics added back from the Irons Era attraction and of course that SSE model that was floating as you decent (anyone know where that is?). I'm fine with the video as long as there's more than a curtain to look at while you wait for it to build your future. Also since they already take your picture add it to the Photopass accounts like Mine Train already does.

INNOVENTIONS: Make it a showcase of all the newest gadgets and upcoming technological advancements. Each exhibit would be sponsored by the big ones such as Apple, Samsung, Google, ect... Keep it relevant and really show the guest some cool technology that's currently in development.

THE LAND: We know Soarin is getting updates so the only other thing I would like to see is general updates to Living With The Land such as updating those 80s Era videos and show us what they're learning today. I would also like to see The Circle of Life removed in favor of something more along the lines of Food Rocks.

IMAGINATION: Not a return of the original but brand new experience with jaw dropping effects featuring Dreamfinder and Figment.

THE SEAS: Honestly I think it's fine the way it is. Maybe a few upgrades to the ride but I don't think any major changes are needed as of now.

UNIVERSE OF ENERGY: I really liked the Jim Parsons idea for a new host but with keeping in the spirit of the original. Make it fun and educational.

WONDERS OF LIFE/ PROGRESSLAND: You enter the original 1964 pavilion from the World's Fair to experience the restored 64 version of the show (this is just the preshow) once you exit the story continues on New Horizons an omnimover exploring where we are today and what lies on the horizon for us. The attraction will drop of near the entrance of an updated Space Pavilion.

SPACE: The same ride system would be used but with updated visuals and multiple different missions similar to Star Tours 2.0. You would then exit to a truly innovative Advanced Training Lab.

TEST TRACK: Really is fine as is for now. Maybe add a small World of Motion exhibit to the postshow with interactive learning on the history of motion (like the lanterns at American Adventure).

ODESEY/ WEATHER: Demolish this whole area and bring us a weather pavilion. The headliner attraction would be a Spider-Man style ride that puts you on an epic storm chasing adventure. The postshow area would have many interactive exhibits throughout showcasing modern radar and storm chaser technology.

I'll get to World Showcase another time but definitely expand the Milenium Village building to accommodate for loss of event space in FW. Just trying to be realistic on this one thing haha.

FigmentJedi

It wouldn't. Emperor's New Groove is set in an Incan civilization. Mexico is Aztecs.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
This is all great. I just want to see something new. The alcohol served there usually keeps me busy though. Which leads me to....

More drinking.

imagineer boy

Well I would love an Epcot upgrade too and here are some of my ideas based on things read around here and my general wishlist.

ENTRANCE: Move the LAL plaques along the side walls and add in gardens and water features. I'd love to see topiarys of the differnt circle logos for the Future World Pavilions (yes even create new ones for pavilions that never had one) and in the center planter have a topiary of the original EPCOT CENTER logo. Bring back the crystal centerpiece on the main faountain.

SPACESHIP EARTH: Agreed on the James Earl Jones narration 100% I've been saying this for years. Fix the decent, I don't have a problem with the screens and an updated future but I'd at least like to see the swirling fiber optics added back from the Irons Era attraction and of course that SSE model that was floating as you decent (anyone know where that is?). I'm fine with the video as long as there's more than a curtain to look at while you wait for it to build your future. Also since they already take your picture add it to the Photopass accounts like Mine Train already does.

INNOVENTIONS: Make it a showcase of all the newest gadgets and upcoming technological advancements. Each exhibit would be sponsored by the big ones such as Apple, Samsung, Google, ect... Keep it relevant and really show the guest some cool technology that's currently in development.

THE LAND: We know Soarin is getting updates so the only other thing I would like to see is general updates to Living With The Land such as updating those 80s Era videos and show us what they're learning today. I would also like to see The Circle of Life removed in favor of something more along the lines of Food Rocks.

IMAGINATION: Not a return of the original but brand new experience with jaw dropping effects featuring Dreamfinder and Figment.

THE SEAS: Honestly I think it's fine the way it is. Maybe a few upgrades to the ride but I don't think any major changes are needed as of now.

UNIVERSE OF ENERGY: I really liked the Jim Parsons idea for a new host but with keeping in the spirit of the original. Make it fun and educational.

WONDERS OF LIFE/ PROGRESSLAND: You enter the original 1964 pavilion from the World's Fair to experience the restored 64 version of the show (this is just the preshow) once you exit the story continues on New Horizons an omnimover exploring where we are today and what lies on the horizon for us. The attraction will drop of near the entrance of an updated Space Pavilion.

SPACE: The same ride system would be used but with updated visuals and multiple different missions similar to Star Tours 2.0. You would then exit to a truly innovative Advanced Training Lab.

TEST TRACK: Really is fine as is for now. Maybe add a small World of Motion exhibit to the postshow with interactive learning on the history of motion (like the lanterns at American Adventure).

ODESEY/ WEATHER: Demolish this whole area and bring us a weather pavilion. The headliner attraction would be a Spider-Man style ride that puts you on an epic storm chasing adventure. The postshow area would have many interactive exhibits throughout showcasing modern radar and storm chaser technology.

I'll get to World Showcase another time but definitely expand the Milenium Village building to accommodate for loss of event space in FW. Just trying to be realistic on this one thing haha.

I like most of your ideas though I really would like to ditch Nemo at TLS, and bring back a more updated Sea Base Alpha theme. And as much as I like JEJ, I think someone less obvious like Lawrence Fishbourne would be a good new narrator. I'd also just ditch the screens, that whole concept was just a waste of money.

Ewizaboof

They mauled S:E to death with the update. I know that technology has advanced past the old ending, but the cut off to the screens with no feasible ending, the new narrator, and the new score are just NOT as good. It was one of my favorite rides, and I was heartbroken when they changed everything that made it wonderful.

As for Journey into Imagination, I honestly don't care what is done with it, as long as they do SOMETHING. The current ride is terrible, a half inspired trip through a warehouse.

Fantasmicguy

All good ideas!! I would probably keep Nemo but have him and his friends on an educational ride to tell why each of the characters are important to the underwater ecosystem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom