2015: The year of the EPCOT makeover?

FigmentJedi

I hate to settle like this but if Inside Out HAS to take the Imagination pavilion then they BETTER make a glorious Jerry Rees directed Dreamfinder/Figment film in the Magic Eye Theatre. That's the only way I'd be somewhat okay with them getting kicked out of the show building.
That'd still be depressing as hell.

Progress.City

Well, for what it's worth, I understand a Weather pavilion has always been mulled for Future World. I do wish that Energy didn't address climate change by just saying "it's a big issue!" and moving on.
Yeah, but look who's sponsoring it. Will never happen there at that pavillion with sponsors like that!

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
As an EPCOT purist, let me say, I wouldn't care if Figment was not in the Imagination pavilion.

IF

If the attraction that replaced it was extremely well done. If the attraction that replaced it carried the same magic and wonder that the original attraction had in excess. If the pavilion itself outside of the ride was updated and brought back to a modern day version of what the ImageWorks was. If the building was cleaned and maintained, the water fountains outside were in perfect working order. If they came up with a film to replace Captain EO that truly (sorry for this) sparked the imagination. If the pavilion once again felt like it was an important, or even the most important pavilion in Future World.

All this happens, I can hope to see our pal Figment there, but I'd hate for it to become a handicap on a truly worthy attraction to have to find a way to stuff him in there. If that were the case, I am fine to see him go.

Sure, Figment was such a well designed and implemented character, but what made him resonate with so many was the world class attraction that he was a part of. A cute dragon sure, but one who was a part of something bigger.

That being said, I have a hard time believing that they will do all of that. I think they are too scarred by the reaction they had when they took him away the first time, and that will stop them from being bold if they ever actually decide to do anything with the pavilion.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Not only Disney can do this, many organizations could and should be working on this
and Disney stopped caring about educating people decades ago.

Last trip I went into Disney's Hollywood Adventure Park of Islands of Fun with Vague Studio Sets park completely illiterate. Yet, I left the park after only 5 and a half hours able to read at a 9th grade level which is good enough to fully understand Reader's Digest! How do you explain that smarty pants?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Last trip I went into Disney's Hollywood Adventure Park of Islands of Fun with Vague Studio Sets park completely illiterate. Yet, I left the park after only 5 and a half hours able to read at a 9th grade level which is good enough to fully understand Reader's Digest! How do you explain that smarty pants?
Uhh, MagicBands contain subliminal learning. If you cannot read, you cannot read menus at their fine establishments and are less likely to shop in any merchandise location that contains books. What did you think the billions of dollars went for? RFID technology? Hadoop? Ha!

chris chris

2015: The year of the EPCOT makeover? No way. 2015-2020? Definitely. Not only are the new Soarin' and Frozen ride coming, but...
  • UoE has been neglected for too long. For some perspective, Ellen was still "straight" when it opened.
  • Inside Out is no doubt going to be a hit and Disney will want to tie that in some where. They could maybe do Tomorrowland (if they can put Laugh Floor there, they could put anything), but chances are it'll be EPCOT.
  • Finding Dory is going to come out, giving The Seas a few updates.
  • Ratatouille ride? The store in France has a couple of Ratatouille items, all of which were pretty much fully stocked a.k.a no one is buying them. I'm doubtful Disney will invest in a moderately popular movie that would be over 10 years old when the attraction opened, but stranger things have happened.
I totally agree, EPCOT needs some work. Its become more of a look into retrofururism than an actual look into the advancement of technology. And World Showcase is slowly becoming a promotional tool for films that take place in a different country. BUT again, I don't think these problems can be fixed in under a year.

FigmentJedi

• Inside Out is no doubt going to be a hit and Disney will want to tie that in some where. They could maybe do Tomorrowland (if they can put Laugh Floor there, they could put anything), but chances are it'll be EPCOT.
Box office success is one thing, merchandise sales are another. Big Hero 6 has done really well, but you don't see Disney fast-tracking any attractions on that because the merch wasn't too big a seller.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Box office success is one thing, merchandise sales are another. Big Hero 6 has done really well, but you don't see Disney fast-tracking any attractions on that because the merch wasn't too big a seller.
Which was such a bummer. I looked everywhere at the parks for Merch because both of my girls were way into it, and there were only a handful of toys that were not very exclusive to the parks.
Just got done rewatching it, and I really love that film.

Matt_Black

Which was such a bummer. I looked everywhere at the parks for Merch because both of my girls were way into it, and there were only a handful of toys that were not very exclusive to the parks.
Just got done rewatching it, and I really love that film.

The regular Baymaxes (non-armor) seem to be selling. I've not seen any of that stuff at the Disney store on my last visit to the mall.

Otterhead

It's hard to buy merch that isn't there. I saw one store at MK with Baymax toys, a few Baymax shirts/hats, and that's really it. I didn't see anything with the rest of the Big Hero 6 team, nothing featuring Hiro, no MagicBands, nothing really creative. Meanwhile there's no shortage of Phineas & Ferb stuff, and their show's cancelled.

FigmentJedi

It's hard to buy merch that isn't there. I saw one store at MK with Baymax toys, a few Baymax shirts/hats, and that's really it. I didn't see anything with the rest of the Big Hero 6 team, nothing featuring Hiro, no MagicBands, nothing really creative. Meanwhile there's no shortage of Phineas & Ferb stuff, and their show's cancelled.
Phineas and Ferb's still running new episodes. It's just that nobody gets Disney XD.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom