So Disney IS A Bargain?

Californian Elitist

I speak on behalf of millions the people who chose Disney over Universal. "The Masses" definitively choose Disney over any other theme park.

That is fact, not my opinion. The entire purpose of my post was to point out that the people have spoken, for better or worse, that Disney is their park of choice.

Universal has some nice gains, but it's easier to move the needle on smaller numbers. These lists really say it all. The Magic Kingdom is over double Universal's closest competitor and the numbers overall are just dominating.

Dear lord... You missed the point of my response.

Yes, it's a fact Disney's theme park's attendance number exceeds that of others. However, you're insinuating all of those numbers are due to people who absolutely "crave" Disney, and other theme parks have low numbers because "no one wants to go there." You don't know that. Stop speaking for people you don't know.

BrerWayne

They way I look at things is this: My family just returned from WDW one week ago. We stayed at POR for five nights. The entire trip, not including airfare cost me about $3500.00. My family isnt wealthy and where I live the public schools are not very good so my children are in private school. I could absolutely put the money I spent at WDW towards tuition. But, then I would miss out on how star struck my daughter was when she met Elsa. She could barely speak. I would miss the joy my 17 month old has honking Mickey's nose. I can not say whether or not another destination is a better value, because with the exception of other Disney parks, my children and myself can not have these experiences. I will say that I have enacted a break from Disney for about three or four years. I feel as though new attractions need to be added to Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios before I am willing to come back down.

copcarguyp71

I can comment on my trips in 2014

2 vacations for 7 days each for a family of 4 from Houston:

Hawaii (Maui)- $14,500

disneyworld- $5,695

It's a bargain

...and on the flip side we vacationed for roughly a third less than Disney for seven nights in Aruba last June...realistically you can find arguments at either end of the spectrum! Comparing one vacation, sporting event or movie to a Disney vacation is really pointless IMO. What we (our family) has chosen to do is compare disney against ITSELF. Previous older trips versus more recent trips and our feeling is that we got more for less previously than we do now.

This (in my mind) only solidifies the point that it is up to the "eye of the beholder" to justify or discredit the value of Disney but to compare it to other vacations or entertainment just seems shallow and pointless resulting in an entire "he said she said" form of comments that really is self stoking bonfires of opinion.

DisneyMusician2

This is, and always has been, a to each their own proposition. I have clients who book every year, clients who go every three years and put other trips in between for variety, and people who go once and its not for them.

I know many who find the diversity of the experiences at WDW appealing. I have clients who come home and say their favorite park was DAK because it was so relaxing and they loved the change of pace and spend the whole day there. I think thats crazy, but that option exists.

I can sell the value of a Disney vacation for most families who have the income to travel. I sell Universal to those same families. They offer different experiences. For me personally, I have more history and personal feelings tied up in WDW. I'm more passionate about it, and I scrutinize every change they make. In many ways Universal is catching up, but I truly believe that the resort will begin to undergo some of the same issues WDW has as their hotel system, parks, and resorts expand in a similar way.

The bottom line is that there are many price points at WDW. Families who have interest in the intellectual properties Disney represents, have some emotional connection or childhood memories, or who just like a little Commando-style park touring rather than a beach vacation see value for the cost they are willing to pay.

As a Disney fanatic, I have my own complaints about the way the resort has been run. That's not really what a current day value proposition is about. For the common person, it is often the experience of a lifetime. Thats not my opinion, that's the opinion of a majority of the clients I send every year.

Just a thought, rather than my usual complaint about how WDW life was better 15 years ago.

tribbleorlfl

I, personally, think Universal has top shelf attractions, very nice hotels, and some fantastic dining. But I'm sure that's just me.
You had me until you mentioned the food. While UO has made some dramatic improvements in many of its offerings, foodservice has taken a clear step back in terms of quality and value.

Disneyhead'71

You had me until you mentioned the food. While UO has made some dramatic improvements in many of its offerings, foodservice has taken a clear step back in terms of quality and value.
I know that you are talking in-park food, and in that regard I usually eat at either Finnegan's or Mythos. Both are solid. But when I vacation on property I LOVE BiCE, Palm Restaurant, and Tchoup Chop. And I can easily spend a late afternoon sitting harbor side at The Thirsty Fish@Portofino Bay with a bottle and a cheese board.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Dear lord... You missed the point of my response.

Yes, it's a fact Disney's theme park's attendance number exceeds that of others. However, you're insinuating all of those numbers are due to people who absolutely "crave" Disney, and other theme parks have low numbers because "no one wants to go there." You don't know that. Stop speaking for people you don't know.
I speak by the numbers. Obviously I don't mean zero people.

I do mean more people want to go to Disney and show that with their wallets more than any other theme park, by far.

Whether or not you think people crave Disney content, it's a huge reason they are winning and continue to win. It's actually not difficult to make the argument many of Disney's rides are outdated, subpar, or not as technologically advanced as other parks. I've been highly critical of that. However, it does mean people would rather visit Disney because of their #1 content and they want to consume it in any way possible. The princess movies, Star Wars, Toy Story, and original concepts are simply outstanding and the competition will never duplicate classic princess movies. It just won't be done in our lifetimes.

LOL if you think consumers keep paying up because it's a "habit" to go to Disney. Although there might be a tradition and nostalgic component of family trips to Disney, people keep paying up because they love it. One thing people are good at is doing things they like.

Last edited:

Jim Chandler

When you look at the numbers just for tickets you need to compare 1day to 1 day and so on. IMO Disney i s the better buy. However I am not a fan of roller coasters. Which makes UNI not a place I only go to every couple of years. As you compare prices you also need to add in all costs associated. Food hotels other activities.
If you stay at U the hotels IMO are expensive your choices are to not stay at U. Whereas at D you have more choices thus reducing associated travel costs getting to the park that you have when you do not stay at U.
Food is a wash as you have to eat and you can save or splurge as you wish.
End the end It is not all about costs that make you favor one over the other.
It is that which has no dollar value that makes you go to one or the other. I'll let you figure that out.

draybook

Pixie dust sniffers be like
pixie_zpsadfcvulb.jpg

Californian Elitist

I speak by the numbers. Obviously I don't mean zero people.

I do mean more people want to go to Disney and show that with their wallets more than any other theme park, by far.

Whether or not you think people crave Disney content, it's a huge reason they are winning and continue to win. It's actually not difficult to make the argument many of Disney's rides are outdated, subpar, or not as technologically advanced as other parks. I've been highly critical of that. However, it does mean people would rather visit Disney because of their #1 content and they want to consume it in any way possible. The princess movies, Star Wars, Toy Story, and original concepts are simply outstanding and the competition will never duplicate classic princess movies. It just won't be done in our lifetimes.

LOL if you think consumers keep paying up because it's a "habit" to go to Disney. Although there might be a tradition and nostalgic component of family trips to Disney, people keep paying up because they love it. One thing people are good at is doing things they like.

I'm not even going to waste too much of my time with this post. The delusion is way too real. You honestly believe every single person that visits Disney does it out of immense love? Man, oh man.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I'm not even going to waste too much of my time with this post. The delusion is way too real. You honestly believe every single person that visits Disney does it out of immense love? Man, oh man.
Fine by me...love may not be the only reason or even a reason some people go, but people choose Disney more than any other park. In my opinion, it's because they want to go, their kids want to go, or both. Not sure what you're arguing other than people just go by default, habit, or because their kids drag them. That may be some, but it's not like that explains the enormous gap between Disney and everyone else....that's laughable.

My point is that people choose Disney for a variety of reasons and I would say most of them aren't miserable as you seem to imply.

Again, numbers don't lie and I believe a large part is #1 content.

Matt_Black

Indeed. I've never had any real desire to visit Uni. Granted, when they first introduced the Marvel stuff, I was more of a DC guy (DC has since spent the past decade burning through my good will like Sherman through Georgia), and I'm not into Potter.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Pixie dust sniffers be like
pixie_zpsadfcvulb.jpg
LOL...good thing about me is I don't get offended or even deny I drink the koolaid. I don't shy away and own my opinions, even if somewhat biased and questionable.

However, I'm not just the village idiot. Disney is the undisputed #1 by the numbers...everything else is opinion. In fact, I am SUPER critical of Iger and the direction Disney is heading while also admitting my unwavering love for Disney World. I love it, like many others including most of us here. Although, I'm starting to think there are more haters here waiting to bash people like me than there used to be. I mean, this IS a fan and enthusiast site. I am also on a BMW forum where I discuss with other BMW owners how great their cars are to drive.

In the case of Disney, it's actually easier to defend their greatness and market superiority because they are so far ahead. In the case of BMW, I have to admit other manufacturers make good cars too, as long as they are German.

Californian Elitist

Fine by me...love may not be the only reason or even a reason some people go, but people choose Disney more than any other park. In my opinion, it's because they want to go, their kids want to go, or both. Not sure what you're arguing other than people just go by default, habit, or because their kids drag them. That may be some, but it's not like that explains the enormous gap between Disney and everyone else....that's laughable.

My point is that people choose Disney for a variety of reasons and I would say most of them aren't miserable as you seem to imply.

Again, numbers don't lie and I believe a large part is #1 content.

When did I say that? And please point me to any of my posts where I insinuated some of Disney's guests are miserable.

My point from the beginning was you generalize way too much. I can see from this point you're beginning to think about what you write before you actually post something.

And your original point did not insinuate people visit Disney for a variety of reasons. That was MY point. You originally said people return to Disney due to some sort of "craving."

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
When did I say that? And please point me to any of my posts where I insinuated some of Disney's guests are miserable.

My point from the beginning was you generalize way too much. I can see from this point you're beginning to think about what you write before you actually post something.

And your original point did not insinuate people visit Disney for a variety of reasons. That was MY point. You originally said people return to Disney due to some sort of "craving."
Still think they do...it's a big reason we all go back. We crave more of the Disney memories, the content, the way it makes us feel, the way it makes our family feel. Disney's content is miles ahead of all the rest and my theory for why everyone want to go there the first time and go back multiple times. Six Flags and Universal aren't as popular for a reason. Your "habitual" post was just as ridiculous as you seem to think my crave content point was. Disney goers go because it's a habit, even with your SOME caveat....I don't agree. A company doesn't lead that much because people are tricked into going back out of habit. MOST choose to go because it's the best. Sure there are some habit people, I guess, but Disney leads like 2 to 1 when comparing the most popular MK to most popular Universal.

I never think much before posting. It's a discussion board, not a dissertation. I really don't get offended if you don't agree. I, like most people, generalize all the time, but it's generally true....at least I think so.

Pluto15

If I compare WDW admission prices to theme parks in Europe then the value is fantastic. In addition you have stunning ️️weather great scenery and an amazing setting. I've never bought a day pass always the 14 day pass. On occasions it has been free as a hotel deal so I've experienced admission for absolutely free which is amazing. Like everything if you are careful and look at options you can save money. You can buy your own snacks rather than but in the Parks every day. You can find CS meals with enough to share etc. I find food prices in the park as cheap as prices back home and I would expect to pay more in a theme park. Here if you go to the cinema you will pay two or three times more for drinks snacks etc than in a shop. Maybe even more.

Wheh purchasing the 14 day Disney pass it works out at less than $30 a day with park hopper included. That's entertainment from first thing to last thing almost 16 hours. You could go to two water Parks and four amazing theme parks for less than $30 and I'm my honest opinion that's anazing. The cinema here can cost the same for two adults.

Personally I could spend all day multiple times at any of the parks. Equally it's great to park hop and some days so multiple ones.

Life can be incredibly expensive but you can find ways to save and find deals and its a very personal things re what's value and what's under or over valued. Personally I think Disney is worth every penny and the magic and memories and atmosphere is priceless. I remember vacations from years and years ago

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom