Gaston push up challenge...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Agree with all of this. As far as I know he is currently suspended, from all jobs for two weeks. So because he goofed around he now has to go without pay for two weeks.

From what I've been told, it's because he was too into the character and said some things Disney felt toe'd the line. The push up contest was the last straw apparently. It's just outrageous.

And yes, he's not happy about it.
That makes no sense. He got laid off for doing what he was expected to do?

Toe the line = to do what you are ordered or expected to do

unkadug

Very sad and very wrong. I guess it's good he still has a job but it's very aggravating. So are they going to do that with every Gaston who gets a couple of viral videos?
In this day and age you should:
  • Do your job and nothing else.
  • Don't call attention to yourself.
  • Don't go beyond what is expected of you.
  • Be a follower never a leader.

This is what things like this teach Disney's Cast members.

Bairstow

In this day and age you should:
  • Do your job and nothing else.
  • Don't call attention to yourself.
  • Don't go beyond what is expected of you.
  • Be a follower never a leader.

This is what things like this teach Disney's Cast members.

...except that the Gaston job specifically calls for them to go above and beyond, be creative, and draw attention to themselves.
....until management decides that they've gone too far/not working hard enough.
So I guess the lesson is be in management.

ItlngrlBella

Well that is sad if he was friends with Gaston and now he has to be friends with Goofy and Woody?!

SMH! Way to go Disney, suppress your most talented, throw a literal leash on them, and turn them into a dog (Goofy). (Goofy is a...dog? Right?)

I bet Universal would scoop him up in a minute. Their improv face characters (Grinch, Beetlejuice, etc), are more along that line where they can get away with that (I should think).

In college and a couple years thereafter, I was on a production crew for a large haunted attraction and did extensive guest-interaction improv and we casted actors for interactive roles. It's so hard to do well and this guy hits it out of the park on the videos I've seen here. Our team was good but not amazing - we would have killed to have someone on that level. We had one guy who came a distant 2nd to this and because he was awesome, we gave him more freedom and a bigger spotlight. We collaborated with our top actor and together designed an "icon character" that the backstory revolved around. He did all of our morning news spots, VIP meet & greets and media interviews - he was the face of the attraction. I don't know, it's just my opinion, but I'd like to think that's what you should do with people that talented. (Albeit a haunt is waaaaay different than Disney).

Anyway -

Improv actors on THIS level are truly engaging and fun to watch because you can see they are having the fun themselves - and they are SO very hard to find because they have a rare natural charisma. These folks really enjoy making memorable moments with people. Its the hardest acting to do.

The weirdest part: You never know what the guest will do when you "play" with them - I've had some unbelievably scary, funny and crazy stuff happen to me (mainly because our haunt was near a big U and there were many drunk frat-boys)... and sometimes you have to diffuse things when the guest gets carried away while staying in character. Not easy.

Disney should be thanking him for the crazy amount of publicity those viral vids generated, way better than the lame "pirate mom" ads they've been running.

*** Anyway, whoever is really friends with Gaston's friend, please share all the mad love we have - hopefully these messages on here make his day, because he's made so many people smile. The view count on at least one of those videos was well over 5 million - there are very few people upon earth that can say they've made that many people laugh & smile. :) He's a great talent and I hope he finds himself somewhere (Disney or otherwise), that will let him flex his skills (no pun intended). ;)

***Drops mic, exits stage.***

PS: someone on Reddit posted this thread and the news is upsetting people enough to come over here - I was one of them. :mad: Thank you for putting up with my rant.

Last edited:

friendofafriend

Well that is sad if he was friends with Gaston and now he has to be friends with Goofy and Woody?!

I agree with your post but as an aside I take umbrage with your first sentence. He was not put into fur as a punishment. All face characters are also trained and perform in fur roles, which is the case with this particular performer. We all HAVE to be friends with fur characters. He was fur before he was put in face. I've done both roles myself and they both hold their individual challenges and rewards. He is a fantastic performer and is great in all his assigned roles.

unkadug

I agree with your post but as an aside I take umbrage with your first sentence. He was not put into fur as a punishment. All face characters are also trained and perform in fur roles, which is the case with this particular performer. We all HAVE to be friends with fur characters. He was fur before he was put in face. I've done both roles myself and they both hold their individual challenges and rewards. He is a fantastic performer and is great in all his assigned roles.
It's just a shame that he got chastised for doing a good job.

friendofafriend

It's just a shame that he got chastised for doing a good job.
I agree 100%! He's a real asset to the entertainment department. We've all taken chances and bent or broken the rules to make some magic and doing so we know that there may be repercussions. It sucks but its life working for the mouse. What management expect from us and what the guests expect from us very unfortunately don't jive. I hope that once this all blows over he'll be put back with Gaston, I'm thankful that he wasn't let go completely.

unkadug

I agree 100%! He's a real asset to the entertainment department. We've all taken chances and bent or broken the rules to make some magic and doing so we know that there may be repercussions. It sucks but its life working for the mouse. What management expect from us and what the guests expect from us very unfortunately don't jive. I hope that once this all blows over he'll be put back with Gaston, I'm thankful that he wasn't let go completely.
Let him know that he has people on his side.

ItlngrlBella

I didn't mean to offend - I should have reworded... I meant that if someone rocks verbal improv with guests it should be showcased. It was a sensation with the public so let the public have it. I'm sure every person now *thinks* they're "original" and wants a push-up contest - that's gotta be hellannoying.

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

Ok, so yesterday when I was watching a couple of the videos posted here, and the video below popped in my YouTube feed but I didn't watch it.

I was back on YouTube this morning because I want to make a channel for my business and I wanted to see what similar businesses are doing. As soon YouTube came up it had "suggested videos" and the same video popped up on my feed so I just clicked...

I. AM. DYING. This is the funniest one yet . :joyfull:

Ok, I need to get back to work now and I haven't even gone downstairs for my morning workout. Priorities.

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

I think it was on a Disney related subreddit but it's low on the totem pole now. I was browsing for Star Wars rumors for DHS (because I'm a nerdette like that) when I came across the post with a link here... I read down the thread, got ticked and had to rant.

Last edited:

Monkee Girl

Ok, so yesterday when I was watching a couple of the videos posted here, and the video below popped in my YouTube feed but I didn't watch it.

I was back on YouTube this morning because I want to make a channel for my business (tutoring/college prep) and I wanted to see what similar businesses are doing. As soon YouTube came up it had "suggested videos" and the same video popped up on my feed so I just clicked...

I. AM. DYING. This is the funniest one yet - I may have just pee'ed my pantiloni's . :joyfull: Too fun to watch.

Ok, I need to get back to work now and I haven't even got downstairs for my morning workout. Priorities.

I completely forgot I was at home and not in the park. The minute the BF showed his muscles, I made a verbal 'OOOOOO!!!!!' Gaston OWNED! Too hilarious.

Monkee Girl

I think it was on a Disney related subreddit but it's low on the totem pole now. I was browsing for Star Wars rumors for DHS (because I'm a nerdette like that) when I came across the post with a link here... I read up and got ticked.

I keep looking around to see if there is any mention of the fact that the guy got suspended. Now, no, I don't want the guy fired if the negative Disney attention gets out. But part of me wonder what all the media reporting about his viral videos would think if they knew the guy they raved about was disciplined.

ItlngrlBella

I keep looking around to see if there is any mention of the fact that the guy got suspended. Now, no, I don't want the guy fired if the negative Disney attention gets out. But part of me wonder what all the media reporting about his viral videos would think if they knew the guy they raved about was disciplined.

I think that's the last thing they want or need right now (negative media attention) in regards to this.

I really hope it blows over/cools down so he could hopefully be back in that spot again to do what he does best, improv and Gastonishing guests. :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom