Gaston push up challenge...

draybook

Agree with all of this. As far as I know he is currently suspended, from all jobs for two weeks. So because he goofed around he now has to go without pay for two weeks.

From what I've been told, it's because he was too into the character and said some things Disney felt toe'd the line. The push up contest was the last straw apparently. It's just outrageous.

And yes, he's not happy about it.

He said some "spicy" things during the MNSSHP but it was perfect for his character. Should I be contacting Guest Relations over my outrage or is there a certain department that I need to contact?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So when a CM in character interacts with guests, WDW suspends him because someone complained he made some "spicy" comments? Isn't Gaston basically a jerk and buffoon and one would expect him to act that way? Does corporate need to watch the movie again to be reminded how Gaston acts?

I thought the push up challenge was hilarious and in character. And hoped it wouldn't become another "Andy's Coming!" because of idiot guests. But this is ridiculous. So I guess all future M&G will be sanitized and highly scripted. Which takes the fun and magic out of a M&G.

Sad.

HRHPrincessAriel

"spicy" like how? If teh average kid can't/wouldn't catch on to something "spicy" I have no problem with it.
That was the awesome thing about older shows like The Cosby Show. I had no clue about how funny some of those really were until I was an adult. Claire and Cliff were even better when I "really" got their jokes.

Tom Morrow

WDW is notorious for crushing CM's who go "above and beyond", despite that phrase being drilled as important rhetoric and company nomenclature, so suspending one of the best face characters they've ever had isn't too surprising, unfortunately.

Yeah, maybe he pushed the line a little, but I'd rather feel like I'm actually meeting Gaston and not some college student who is barely into it.

At least now I know those videos weren't viral marketing, as I suspected they were. Of course, they'll probably do much more for advertising WDW than their actual attempts at viral marketing.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Most of his comments were things like, "Keep your clothes on, this is a family establishment," "Look up sweetheart, that's my chesthair not my eyes," "let me just move your hand...down a little," "smile like you're making me a sandwich," etc.

I could see "let me just move your hand...down a little" being a little too "spicy" for some, but the others are so Gaston. Who is a jerk, buffoon, narcissist and all around male chauvinist...

HRHPrincessAriel

Most of his comments were things like, "Keep your clothes on, this is a family establishment," "Look up sweetheart, that's my chesthair not my eyes," "let me just move your hand...down a little," "smile like you're making me a sandwich," etc.
gotcha. The hand down one would get me the side eye. The others I'd just shrug off.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
holy moly, this thread took a turn for the worse. Based on what we actually know, this is outrageous.

However, in the interest of fairness, there may be some incidents we don't know about behind this decision.

Monkee Girl

I could see "let me just move your hand...down a little" being a little too "spicy" for some, but the others are so Gaston. Who is a jerk, buffoon, narcissist and all around male chauvinist...

Is the 'move your hand' one on video? The only thing that comes close that I can think of was when he told one of the girls to 'move her hands (away), this is a photo shoot, not a meat market' or something to that effect....of course, I can't find the video now to get the exact line but it had tree girls in the picture.

It is true, we don't know the WHOLE story...maybe he was warned, I dunno. If he wasn't, I think it's very bad form of Disney to suspend the guy. And the sandwich lines crack me up. Anyone offended at that needs to not go meet Gaston. and if they are taking their precious child their to meet him, why are they allowing their child to meet and be influenced by a villain? Bad parenting if you ask me. ;)

I remember the same thing happened with the Jack Sparrow character. He was quite the hit with the ladies and after a while, they had to tame him down a bit. Not because he was being offensive but I guess the constant asking about rum and acting drunk was something Disney wasn't comfortable with.

If you talk to 'our' Gaston, tell him we love his videos and hope we get to see him again soon.

Monkee Girl

Well this thread that I started went from entertaining to sad quick because of people being too precious and disney wanting robots as Characters :mad::cry:

It's still a good thread. I do enjoy talking about characters and behind the scenes. It just is sad to head Disney apparently disciplining people for doing their job. I hope we hear more on this...hopefully a happy ending.

Matt_Black

"spicy" like how? If teh average kid can't/wouldn't catch on to something "spicy" I have no problem with it.
That was the awesome thing about older shows like The Cosby Show. I had no clue about how funny some of those really were until I was an adult. Claire and Cliff were even better when I "really" got their jokes.

I know the feeling. Watching the Golden Girls now I keep thinking, "Wow, my parents let me watch this? This show is positively filthy!"

marissieviolissie

I wonder about the last video. I enjoyed it, but if Disney would allow that, I'm pretty curious why PushUpGaston actually got suspended. What could he have done or said if "hands above the belt, it's a meet and greet and not a meet and grope " was deemed appropriate enough (apparently) according to Disney? It can't be a silly push up- contest....can it? :cautious:

friendofafriend

I haven't read all the comments, but my understanding of the situation is that this particular Gaston had a video go viral in the past and he was warned about his behavior. Last I heard he was just removed from the role but was still in entertainment and received a discussion (a formal note on the CMs record stating that he had been talked to by a manager about his behavior), it seems that may have changed. All performers know that you aren't supposed to get on the ground. Disney consider it a safety issue, if you choose to ignore that its up to you but you know that you can get in trouble for it. We all know the rules and many of us bend or break them to create magic for our guests. Some managers will look the other way and other's won't. Its unfortunate that this particular interaction got so much attention, if it were never put on youtube he would likely still be in the role. I hope they come to their senses and bring him back. He deserves commendation from Disney not censure!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I haven't read all the comments, but my understanding of the situation is that this particular Gaston had a video go viral in the past and he was warned about his behavior. Last I heard he was just removed from the role but was still in entertainment and received a discussion (a formal note on the CMs record stating that he had been talked to by a manager about his behavior), it seems that may have changed. All performers know that you aren't supposed to get on the ground. Disney consider it a safety issue, if you choose to ignore that its up to you but you know that you can get in trouble for it. We all know the rules and many of us bend or break them to create magic for our guests. Some managers will look the other way and other's won't. Its unfortunate that this particular interaction got so much attention, if it were never put on youtube he would likely still be in the role. I hope they come to their senses and bring him back. He deserves commendation from Disney not censure!
I get it now. He knowingly broke the rules, and since the whole world saw it, they had to take some action. Otherwise, more rules get broken, and if they take action against other CMs, they open themselves up to questions about why some CMs get reprimanded and some don't.

Monkee Girl

I think it's silly. I get rules but that seems like a pretty stupid rule. Now, I love Disney and I get it is their job and there are rules (I know how 'higher ups' are...i work in a corporate environement) but this is just overboard. where is the cut off of not 'getting on the ground'?

What about when the princesses sit down/kneel for the little kids?

I think it's more dangerous for them because they can easily trip in those dresses. No one ever offers to help them up...

what about when Peter Pan sits on the ground?

I think it would have made more sense if he was just busted for making inappropriate comments. Just hearing 'he got scolded for getting on the ground' is just stupid. Bad form for Disney. And again...something that started out so positive was ruined. Maybe Disney should just ban video recordings of characters. then it would all be solved :rolleyes: or better yet, don't have meet and greets of dynamic characters known for their showing off of strengths and being a sexist jerk.

MarkTwain

I get it now. He knowingly broke the rules, and since the whole world saw it, they had to take some action. Otherwise, more rules get broken, and if they take action against other CMs, they open themselves up to questions about why some CMs get reprimanded and some don't.

This is what it sounds like. There are many times as a CM where you can do some small rule-breaking and not upset a manager, if it's done discreetly and with good judgment (I excelled at this ;)). It's sort of just the unofficial, less-publicized version of what Disney calls "magical moment," and happens all the time. But if you do this in a way where lots of guests or cast find out, then you can get in trouble. Disney doesn't want to give the impression (to guests OR cast) that this is a normal thing that can be expected from cast at any time.

I think there was a Jungle Cruise skipper (could've been on here, or on MiceChat) that was talking about how much harder it is to get away with "edgy" or off-script jokes in the social media era. Sometimes these jokes are the funniest ones, and in the pre-internet era, when the only ones hearing the jokes were on a boat in the middle of a jungle, who would find out? But today, when any spiel can be recorded and uploaded from an iPhone, becoming a viral twitter hit, Jungle Cruise skippers have to be much more careful.

It sounds like that's exactly what happened here. It's a shame that social media and the ease of communication could actually be detracting from the Disney parks experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom