West Side Parking Garage construction

mm121

I used it earlier in the week, but it seemed like the ramps had both up and down traffic share the same ramp at points. The result for example was that if going down a level you would have to watch traffic making left turns going up a level, resulting in an overall slowing of traffic flow.

Perhaps other ramps have not opened yet. But for now it is very well possible a ramp can be blocked if people get impatient making that left turn and thus get stuck in the middle of the ramp.

surely that has to be temporary, or lets hope so

that does sound like really bad design, creating a ton of non signalized left turns along with the possibility of tbone crashes, if people get any speed coming down the ramps

i would think this surely has to be temporary, as the possibility of traffic going the wrong way onto the new i-4 exit ramp was a major concern of the state

and due to people being stupid its a bad bad idea to have the ability for the actions of one driver to be able to block access to an entire level and all levels above it from one of the entry points

especially hazardous once the garage is connected to i-4, as backups onto the interstate were another concern of the state that they had to address in the design considerations

G00fyDad

From Inside the Magic's website: (They seem to already have the parking indicators up and running.)

150151_10152381593892035_1322394326051538398_n.jpg
10380965_10152381593487035_2223530114433944776_n.jpg
10384527_10152381593627035_8597545801219071690_n.jpg
16402_10152381593832035_1817876411053210560_n.jpg
10310614_10152381593982035_2603485198290497646_n.jpg
10407128_10152381593562035_3986040877900219485_n.jpg
10410728_10152381594022035_5489876235345681945_n.jpg

lazyboy97o

I wonder what they intend to drive through that main level with such high clearances. It's a lot of extra expense to do just because.

CDavid

I wonder what they intend to drive through that main level with such high clearances. It's a lot of extra expense to do just because.

Buses?

There is still going to be a remnant of surface parking down past Cirque, correct? If not, the garages would have to accommodate oversize vehicles, such as RV's and campers.

G00fyDad

Buses?

There is still going to be a remnant of surface parking down past Cirque, correct? If not, the garages would have to accommodate oversize vehicles, such as RV's and campers.

I've never seen a parking garage that accommodates RV's and campers. Those are usually parked in an open lot somewhere. Besides, I think that people are overestimating the opening there. Yes, it may be larger than normal, but I don't think it is too large.

mm121

its interesting to see that the wiring for the parking sensors is imbeded in the concrete, yet the conduit for the lights is exposed

keeping the options open for busses, rv's etc. and also probably a safety precaution

as it would be bad for someone to hit the garage, and it also enables the path accross the road to stay level with the second floor, as if the first floor was shorter, the pathway would fall between levels or would of had to of been moved up to level three, as there definitely needs to be truck clearance for the road

I will imagine it is for trucks and such, so they can deliver goods for the West side during off hours
the trucks wouldn't be going into the garage, but the height of level 1 is equal to the height of the pedestrian bridge
Buses?

most likely at the curret time oversize vehicle parking within the garage itself will be discouraged, though as the garage is unmanned there will be times when no one will be there to enforce such a rule.

at universal rv's and oversided vehicles are directed to a smallish, surface lot directly behind the main garages. though these garages are manned so this helps to ensure these vehicles are properly directed to the correct area to avoid possible mishaps

I've never seen a parking garage that accommodates RV's and campers. Those are usually parked in an open lot somewhere. Besides, I think that people are overestimating the opening there. Yes, it may be larger than normal, but I don't think it is too large.

width wise its normal, its taller for many reasons.

it wouldn't technically be accomodating them as they would be parked on the ground level, though this is most likely not the intention

its probably mostly a safety precaution, as its cheaper to build the ground level a little taller at construction time and keep your options open, and to eliminate the chance of vehicles crashing into the garage than it is to risk dammage that could possibly put the entire structure at risk

mm121

anyone else find it odd the garage is named the orange garage, rather than the west side garage?

initially I though orange was the color of the level.

typically in garages they are given a color and a level number to make it easier to remember

if all the levels are orange this could be mighty confusing if we dont pay attention to what level we are on.

G00fyDad

width wise its normal, its taller for many reasons.

it wouldn't technically be accomodating them as they would be parked on the ground level, though this is most likely not the intention

its probably mostly a safety precaution, as its cheaper to build the ground level a little taller at construction time and keep your options open, and to eliminate the chance of vehicles crashing into the garage than it is to risk dammage that could possibly put the entire structure at risk

Actually, the entrance for the ground floor, as well as the entire first floor parking garage is high enough for RV's campers, and semi-tractor trailers. It was designed that way. Not sure what Disney will do in the future, but it IS that big.

I get what you both are saying, but you'd have to be insane to think that you could turn an RV or semi trailer inside this thing with cars parked in it. I've driven large trucks and I promise you that at normal width a garage is too tight for wide turns that large vehicles will need to make.

mm121

Actually, the entrance for the ground floor, as well as the entire first floor parking garage is high enough for RV's campers, and semi-tractor trailers. It was designed that way. Not sure what Disney will do in the future, but it IS that big.

as level 2 will be the primarily pedestrian coridor accross the road, its important for the level of the garage to match up with the level of the pedestrian bridge

and also for safety. expense wise its cheaper to build it that way now than to risk it later.

and in the future they may wish to build a third garage accross from CDS which would pretty much eliminate the remainder of the surface parking, except for whats left of the lot behind cds, though if they were building a 3rd garage this land would most likely disappear

G00fyDad

anyone else find it odd the garage is named the orange garage, rather than the west side garage?

initially I though orange was the color of the level.

typically in garages they are given a color and a level number to make it easier to remember

if all the levels are orange this could be mighty confusing if we dont pay attention to what level we are on.

Honestly, I have no idea why they used "orange". It doesn't even fit with the Disney Springs theme. Also, if you cannot remember what floor you are on then you probably weren't going to find your car in a parking lot anyway. :D

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I get what you both are saying, but you'd have to be insane to think that you could turn an RV or semi trailer inside this thing with cars parked in it. I've driven large trucks and I promise you that at normal width a garage is too tight for wide turns that large vehicles will need to make.
I think it has more to do with lining up level 2 with the pedestrian bridge. Trucks/buses may not actually enter the garage, but they most likely will go under the pedestrian bridge on the road. They will also eventually have a connector overpass to the highway which will likely come in on level 2 as well and will need to be tall enough for trucks to pass under. I guess they could have just made the bridges a little higher and have them connect to level 3, but they went with this instead.

mm121

agreed, doubtful they'd use it for actual big vehicle parking, but its easier to be able to just pass through to a more appropriate lot, than to get right to the entrance stop and have an oh **** moment.

as someone who had an encounter getting on a skinny road with low hanging trees in a big penske truck can tell you that is no fun at all.

especailly as the only way out would be to backup thats if you got stopped in time,

which would mean blocking the entire entrance with cars backing up behind you, so you'd never be able to correct yourself without police assistance

there use to be a train bridge in my old town where trucks would come right up upon it then realize they couldn't get through, then they'd either have to sacarily squeeze through the middle, or back up for like a mile, either option wasn't a good one.

I think it has more to do with lining up level 2 with the pedestrian bridge. Trucks/buses may not actually enter the garage, but they most likely will go under the pedestrian bridge on the road. They will also eventually have a connector overpass to the highway which will likely come in on level 2 as well and will need to be tall enough for trucks to pass under. I guess they could have just made the bridges a little higher and have them connect to level 3, but they went with this instead.

Was literally typing this when your message popped up. Yes, even if the trucks don't go into the garage the walkway still needed to be tall enough for trucks since it crosses a road for deliveries.

The fact the internal garage is so tall as a side benefit may be a case of future proofing. It may not be used to large vehicles now but it could be in the future.

mm121

Honestly, I have no idea why they used "orange". It doesn't even fit with the Disney Springs theme. Also, if you cannot remember what floor you are on then you probably weren't going to find your car in a parking lot anyway. :D

lets hope these signs are temporary at least some of them, which they probably are as right now they direct pedestiran traffic to level 1, when in the near future they will want to direct the majority of pedestrian traffic to level 2, then accross and down to the town center without crossing a road level.

every little thing helps, and i just know parking garages at airports typically use the different color system

if they really wanted to get creative without involving characters which could break the theme, they should name the levels after the different springs located around the area

then they could all have a color, level number, and a springs name, then we'd definitely remember 1 of the 3, they could even put murals of the springs on one of the walls near the elevators or somewhere so we'd see them

would add some theme, along with placemaking, and color

the hight of level 1 if it was lower would change lots of things negatively.

the overpass, the pedestrian bridge, along with risk of collisions

there will need to be proper height signage/bars coming off the overpass to ensure that vehicles that are too large dont try to enter level 2 directly, but this is a lower risk, as people can see the signs then proceed to the surface parking, rather than getting trapped like would happen on the ground town center side

G00fyDad

That actually sounds like the most logical reason for this. :)

Jon81uk

The lights are on but not really functional. You can see in picture 3 plenty of lights that are inaccurate. But they are on and that is exciting.

A local shopping centre has had these lights in a car park for 3 years and they have never been perfect. You cannot trust it when there is less than 10 spaces free on a level as usually that just means faulty sensors think there are spaces when they are in fact in use. If I look down an aisle and only see one green light I won't bother trying as likely the space has got a car in it but the sensor faulty.
This system was also meant to read number plates so you can use an app to locate your car but I dont think Westfield ever got it working.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
its interesting to see that the wiring for the parking sensors is imbeded in the concrete, yet the conduit for the lights is exposed

I am not sure which system Disney is using, but I have found web sites for similar systems that don't use a sensor in the concrete, but instead a camera in the light assembly. It actually make a lot of sense to do it this way since it minimizes the amount of wiring needed.

G00fyDad

A local shopping centre has had these lights in a car park for 3 years and they have never been perfect. You cannot trust it when there is less than 10 spaces free on a level as usually that just means faulty sensors think there are spaces when they are in fact in use. If I look down an aisle and only see one green light I won't bother trying as likely the space has got a car in it but the sensor faulty.
This system was also meant to read number plates so you can use an app to locate your car but I dont think Westfield ever got it working.

Surely you're not implying that Disney would allow something to become dilapidated and broken and stay that way for a period of time. o_O :angelic:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom